Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:29   #91
BHPian

Re: Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
I got it about a month after my bike was delivered. Picked it up today along with the RC card.
Thanks for the info. So what is this HSRP plate - is it like a full plate, or like a sticker? What is high security about it? Maybe a couple of pictures will help, if you can paste some please. The reason I ask is that I had my eye set on a couple of plates from orbiz, but am wondering if I should go there at all given that the HSRP plates are on their way.
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:35   #92
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
Thanks for the info. So what is this HSRP plate
A simple google or this HSRP thread should clear it up.

And yes, you should wait for the plates.
ninjatalli is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2019, 14:44   #93
BHPian

I have another question for fellow interceptor riders: how are you solving for shopping/grocery bag holding while riding? I know we can install the luggage boxes - but they look too bulky unless touring, so am looking for any other ideas you might have. Thanks.
Old 16th September 2019, 14:41   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anshuman_v View Post
I have another question for fellow interceptor riders: how are you solving for shopping/grocery bag holding while riding? I know we can install the luggage boxes - but they look too bulky unless touring, so am looking for any other ideas you might have. Thanks.
I have a small gym bag which I use to carry stuff around. Tie it on the rear seat with bungee cords, works like a charm!
Old 9th November 2019, 22:42   #95
BHPian

Its been 9 months and 7000 kms on the clock and the overall experience with the Interceptor has been pretty good so far. The bike is primarily used as a city commuter for office ride thrice a week and occasional Sunday breakfast ride. The bike is completely in factory set-up without any accessories or aftermarket fitments. The engine when cold fires up with one press of the start button and revs up to 1800 rpm and quickly settles down to around 1250 rpm idle after few seconds and the throttle response and the engine note remains the same and so does the sweet exhaust rumble. Gone are the occasional false neutrals I had in the first 2000 kms and now the gear shifts feel smooth and consistent. I like the way how the engine feels at home in both stop-go traffic and open roads with its not that heavy clutch lever and ability to maintain lower speeds in higher gears and its laid-back attitude at higher speeds. Having said that, the engine does become fairly warm and you can fell the fumes when inching through traffic for more than 5 mins, though the heat is not unbearable, it is safer to ride with full length pants. I think I got used to the stock seat and I am able to complete my 45 min office commute without any complaints. The bike returns an overall fuel efficiency of 23-24kmpl on every tank full of unleaded petrol in city traffic condition. I’ve set the rear suspension in its lowest setting and they do a decent job, I wish the front suspensions were softer or may be the roads are getting worse. I’ve got used to the intrusive foot pegs and they are not much of a bother anymore but it makes its presence felt every now and then. As part of the regular commute route the bike is ridden over worst of roads and no roads and I have to say the bike is holding up pretty well without any rattles or parts falling off but after the once in a month pressure water wash the fuel indicator shows anything between 1 bar to full for the first few minutes of the ride. Had a blown taillamp bulb and got it replaced in the check-up service. Maintaining the bike is a pain especially during the monsoon, the tiny front mudguard isn’t of much help and most part of the engine ends up covered in dirt, similar case with the rear twin silencers and shocks.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20191022_160148.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20191022_160313.jpg

Attachment 1932804

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20191022_160546.jpg

At around 6000 kms I had my first puncture on the rear wheel and luckily there was a small puncture shop close by and quickly started pushing the bike and soon I was out of breath and gave up pushing the 200+ kg chunk of metal, fired up the bike and hit first gear and walked the bike, much better. Cautioned the puncture repair guy to be careful with the wheel and ABS brake line. The guy was a seasoned man and knew what he’s got and did a neat job. Got the puncture repaired and was back on the road in 45 mins and the next day went for the optional 5000 kms general check-up at RE OMR service center and got the rear wheel, brake line checked and refitted, updated the ECU software (it’s my first time getting the software update) and also got the oil and oil filter replaced as well even though it is not recommended for the 5000 kms check-up service and I already replaced the oil at 3000 kms but I just wanted to do it while I was there. The overall service experience at RE OMR was good and got the bike delivered in 3 hours flat. After the software update I could feel the engine is not so rev happy as before and there are mild vibes around 3500 rpm and the in-gear acceleration feels more liner now. Bought this magnetic tank bag from Amazon for Rs 1800 and use it to stuff in my rain coat and riding gloves. It has four magnetic straps and they hold on to the tank pretty well.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20191023_100812.jpg
Torino is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 9th November 2019, 23:28   #96
BHPian

Agree with keeping the bike clean is a task, especially during rains. I get irritated with the slightest drops on the silencers too.

I initially felt the engine feeling extremely warm when I purchased the bike but now I don't feel much heat. Maybe I always wear full pants. I too love the cruising capability of the bike, bike cruises comfortably on 6th gear at 60kmph.

I am scared about the punctures too, will be using Formula X sealant and trying how things work out. Any particular reason you don't want to try it out?

but do check out my ownership review too, just posted here 2 days back.

Last edited by Eddy : 10th November 2019 at 00:54. Reason: Extra smiley
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2020, 16:31   #97
BHPian

One-year ownership update:
The bike is now one year and slightly over 9000 kms old and used as a daily office commuter inside the city. Overall the bike has been reliable and delivers a consistent fuel mileage of around 21kmpl under city conditions. Using a 650cc motorcycle as a daily office commuter may not sound convincing to many out there but as much as I like to ride, the bike doesn’t complain pottering at slow city speeds. The low-end power delivery and the reasonably light clutch simplifies the rider’s effort when maneuvering through traffic. The fiddling foot pegs are a thing of the past but managing the bike’s weight while pushing the bike at the parking lot requires training with weights at the gym. I think I got used to the stock seat at least for the city commute, yet to test myself over long rides. The bike doesn’t look shiny or clean and I am at guilt here that I don’t spend much time on the TLC department as much as I did with my previous bikes. But once a week the chain is cleaned and lubed and fluid levels are checked and always ensure to tank up when the fuel indicator is at two bar level to safeguard the fuel pump.

There are two niggling issues, firstly the bike tends to easily lose its composure while going over the edge of road patch work or road markings and secondly there is handlebar wobble between 80- 90 kmph. I've heard some owners faced wobbling issue after installing fork gaters and handlebar raisers but since my bike is completely stock I suspect the wheel alignment and cone set, lets see.

10000 Kms service:
At 8740kms, got the 10000kms/second service done at the RE OMR service center, Chennai. Reached the service center at 9.00 am in middle of the week and asked for service advisor Mr.Sankara Narayanan since he attended my previous service and is also popular and go-to guy for most 650 owners in Chennai, explained about my last engine oil change at 6000kms and he quickly verified in his Tab and confirmed that the next oil change can be at around 15000kms. This second service included general inspection, retorquing axle nuts and fluid top up. Upon inspection the front brake pads were found to be completely worn out. This came as a surprise since the pads had at least 50% life when I last checked during the 6000kms inspection service. Anyways, got them replaced with a new set for Rs2500, the rear pads look like they still have 50% life. Got the bike back in 2 hrs and did a small test ride and left the service center. I think the brake pads worn out quickly because of the new commute route which allows me to attain higher speeds and also the change in my riding manners as I’ve gained more confidence in handling the bike and increased front brake usage pattern, which is a good thing. Got the insurance renewed for Rs2117 with IDV value of 2L and got to know that now you can get your new vehicle insured for 5 years with both own damage and third party which was not available when I bought my bike. My bike has only the third party cover for 5 years and I have to renew the own damage cover every year.

9000kms milestone.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20200209-13.35.44.jpeg

Condition of front brake pads at 8740kms.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-front-brake-pads-1.jpeg

Brembo brake pads.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-front-brake-pads-2.jpeg

At 9000kms, the rear brake pads look like they have more than 60% life left in them.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20200209-14.32.26.jpeg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20200209_070501a.jpg

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20200209_070511a.jpg

10000 kms/2nd service bill.
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-2nd-service-bill-img1.jpg
Torino is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 13:40   #98
BHPian

@Torino - thanks for that detailed long-term review.

I have booked the Interceptor and awaiting delivery which should happen within this week.

Despite knowing the owner of REs flagship stores in the city, my in-store experience and the process of booking the motorcycle has been very poor.

RE sales staff do not have to any work to do and the motorcycle just sells itself! The least they could've done would be to update me on insurance and in-store options and offers on apparels and accessories but alas that has not happened despite repeated questions from my end. I think someone else on this thread has elaborated on their experience at RE which I wholeheartedly agree with.

Due to the poor RE sales experience I have a few unanswered questions that the store employees have bee unable to address. Listing them down here:

What is the difference between the BS 4 and BS 6 variants? - BS 6 variant costs 10k more, which I have paid for.
-Is there a drop in power?
-Is there an increase in weight?
- What are the markings that show which model is BS 4 and BS 6?

What are my insurance options?
- What is the benefit/ downside of taking 5 year insurance?
- Does it make more sense to renew bumper to bumper insurance every year?
(Sales person has been telling me that the value of the vehicle will drop to 1 lakh if I take a 5 year insurance term and has been pushing me to take the 1 year option and renew every year.)

Is there an extra cost for a temporary registration?
I was told that the bike would be handed over to me on a TR and that after a week I would get the RTO number et all.
Should I just wait till the showroom gets the registration done before I take delivery?

What are the best accessory options and where can I purchase them for the following?
- Sump guard
- Crash guard (which can take after market exhaust options like a 2/1 full exhaust system)
- Heel Guard (necessary?)
- Anything else that is essential - from a practical stand point? Will be using it mostly for intercity commute of less than 45 mins
-Does the tubeless kit make sense?
- I remember a time when dealers would add an extra coat of lacquer on the tank and panels. Is the 3M option better?

Are there any issues with the o2 sensors?
Is there an easy way to turn off the day time running lights without voiding the warranty?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 10th February 2020 at 14:02.
2StrokeJunkie is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th February 2020, 16:35   #99
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
Due to the poor RE sales experience I have a few unanswered questions that the store employees have bee unable to address. Listing them down here:

Thanks in advance!
What is the difference between the BS 4 and BS 6 variants? - BS 6 variant costs 10k more, which I have paid for.
-Is there a drop in power?
No

-Is there an increase in weight?
No

- What are the markings that show which model is BS 4 and BS 6?
On the engine fins next to the right side cylinder head BSVI is written. (Where your right knee will be placed after sitting on the bike)

You paid 10k for a pair of fork reflectors. (Just kidding)

You can opt for one year own liability & 5 year third party cover. This way you can opt for best IDV every year. This is open to discussion.

0 dep is advised till bike is new, at least 3 years!

I was told that the bike would be handed over to me on a TR and that after a week I would get the RTO number et all.
Should I just wait till the showroom gets the registration done before I take delivery?

MH RTO rule is to deliver the vehicle with numbers, no other registration is valid. The day tax is paid you'll get receipt sms and next working day you'll get your registration SMS.
(Depends if it's a start of a series then you might have to wait a bit longer for choice number auctions)
Now you can take the bike and apply number on the plates OR wait for the HSRP plates to arrive at dealership and take delivery with them. (Depends on you and your dealer)

What are the best accessory options and where can I purchase them for the following?
- Sump guard - Advised
- Crash guard (which can take after market exhaust options like a 2/1 full exhaust system) - Upto you
- Heel Guard (necessary?) - Not necessary
- Anything else that is essential - from a practical stand point? Will be using it mostly for intercity commute of less than 45 mins
Debatable topic, slime vs sealant do your research!

- I remember a time when dealers would add an extra coat of lacquer on the tank and panels. Is the 3M option better?
Teflon coating!
PPF is trending, then comes ceramic coating, do your research.

Are there any issues with the o2 sensors?
Not reported yet!

Is there an easy way to turn off the day time running lights without voiding the warranty?
Not found yet...

Hope I could help a bit!
surjaonwheelz is online now   (6) Thanks
Old 11th February 2020, 16:08   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torino View Post
One-year ownership update:
The bike is now one year and slightly over 9000 kms old and used as a daily office commuter inside the city.
Congratulations buddy,
I too own a Silver Int 650 which I use as a daily commute and have completed 3K. Nice to see your bike in stock condition. Have a few questions to ask.

- How are the tires and brakes holding up?
- Surprised to see you having the stock seat, don't you find it not comfortable after long rides? I have used Sahara Seat cover which has a slight form and I feel much better on this now.
- Any particular reason did not opt for sump guard?
- Any rusting noticed ?
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 10:50   #101
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
What I have noticed is that showrooms everywhere are now quoting 1st year bumper to bumper and then years 2 to 5 are just third party. This is to reduce to total on road price of the vehicle. That means if you have an accident in year 2 to 5, be prepared to shell out a big amount from your pocket.

A sales guy was telling me an incident where a customer was abroad / on the ship and entrusted the purchase of a motorcycle to his uncle who paid the amount and got the bike delivered. He didnt inquire about the insurance. Later on when he had an accident he realized, years 2 - 5 was only third party and he had a steep bill to pay.

As to whether you want to pay for third party now and update only the bumper to bumper cover every year, my suggestion is take it fully now. Insurance has been getting expensive YoY, it would be better to pay the full amount now and get peace of mind later.

Quote:
You can ride on a temporary registration while the RTO processes your bikes details. You should get the proper registration details in a couple of weeks at most.

Quote:
Unless its a proven option, dont waste your time on it for now.

Quote:
Avoid the dealer polish options, its just a high margin value add for them. You are better off going to a proper place like 3M if you want to get it done.
neil.jericho is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th February 2020, 23:30   #102
BHPian

Quote:
@Torino - thanks for that detailed long-term review.
I have booked the Interceptor and awaiting delivery which should happen within this week....
Congrats on your new bike!
surjaonwheelz and neil.jericho have answered all your queries and I totally agree with them.
Sad to hear your showroom experience. There is little you can do at this point but soon after the delivery you will receive few calls from RE asking for your overall experience and there you can give a proper feedback and hope they do something about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrutmhatre90 View Post
Congratulations buddy,
I too own a Silver Int 650 which I use as a daily commute and have completed 3K. Nice to see your bike in stock condition. Have a few questions to ask.

- How are the tires and brakes holding up?
- Surprised to see you having the stock seat, don't you find it not comfortable after long rides? I have used Sahara Seat cover which has a slight form and I feel much better on this now.
- Any particular reason did not opt for sump guard?
- Any rusting noticed ?
Thanks amrutmhatre90!
-I have no complaints in the grip level and toughness of the stock tyres considering the variety of roads I ride every day. I had one puncture in the last 9000kms which I think is not bad for a Pirelli on Indian roads. Right now the tyres look like they can easily last for another 5000kms. Right when the bike was new, I find the bike to lose its stability when riding over road markings and somewhere in the internet I read it’s that’s how the Pirelli Phantom SportsComp behave due to its thread pattern. Several owners had similar experience and I hope you experienced the same. I want to try a different brand when these wear out just to get rid of the odd behaviour. The brakes perform nothing short of excellence but I wish they last a bit longer, like last for 10000kms to reach the service interval at least.

-I haven’t done any long rides more than 150kms in a day so I am yet to test myself with the stock seat. But I might have to change the seat for the sake of pillion comfort. People riding pillion curse the seat for how it sinks in and wobbles in all direction. Right now I like the Continental GT’s Touring seat, it looks nice and feels more comfortable even for the pillion.

-Initially I wanted to get the sump guard but none of the showrooms had one in stock. Now most of the users say that the sump guard generates a resonating sound which is kind of weird. I’m yet to decide on this. How about you?

-Luckily there is no visible rust. I think the paint and chrome are of high quality but maintaining the shine on the engine casing is rather difficult.
Torino is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 11:12   #103
BHPian

Quote:
-I haven’t done any long rides more than 150kms in a day so I am yet to test myself with the stock seat. But I might have to change the seat for the sake of pillion comfort. People riding pillion curse the seat for how it sinks in and wobbles in all direction. Right now I like the Continental GT’s Touring seat, it looks nice and feels more comfortable even for the pillion.
Sir, please don't waste your money on the Continental GT touring seat, i would rather you go to a seat shop to customise the present seat according to your needs.

Quote:
-Initially I wanted to get the sump guard but none of the showrooms had one in stock. Now most of the users say that the sump guard generates a resonating sound which is kind of weird. I’m yet to decide on this. How about you?
I have the Sump Guard fitted to my Conti GT but i haven't heard a sound or had any problems with it, although for an oil change you'll have to remove it every time of course.
CarManMotorcycl is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th February 2020, 13:27   #104
BHPian

Quote:

-Luckily there is no visible rust. I think the paint and chrome are of high quality but maintaining the shine on the engine casing is rather difficult.

I agree with you regarding Pillion comfort, its very bad. But the GT Touring seats are slightly better but not a relief I heard. Do test out before buying it.
But again, if you are used to the stock seats comfort do not get it changed. I know many people who like the stock seat and have not changed.

Sump Guard in Mumbai is a must, I don't have any idea how are the roads on your side, but here every roads have been dug and have stones and pebbles. I have heard multiple times stones and pebbles hitting the sump guard. And the my sump guard doesn't make any sound.

To keep the engine casing clean try using the Autosol Metal Polish. I use it once 2-3 months just a little bit and the results are very good.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-lrm_export_350103208869489_20200111_172852970.jpeg

This is the shine after using it on engine casing. But do not expect it to match chrome parts for that buffing will be needed.
amrutmhatre90 is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 14th May 2020, 23:29   #105
BHPian

Came across these Vesrah ceramic brake pads for the Interceptor 650 sold at an offer price of Rs 999 (link). Honestly I wasn't aware of this brand and one thing that really caught my interest was it said 'Made in Japan', quick google search revealed that they are indeed Japanese and widely used as aftermarket brake pads on sports bikes and some of their products are compared with EBC and the likes. Ordered a set of front & rear and got them delivered few days back. The package looks tacky and has a compatibility list of some popular motorcycle names, do note that the QR code has a bigger list of compatible motorcycles. Will try to replace the stock pads over the weekend as part of the lockdown activity.

Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-img_20200512_080818.jpg

Front:
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20200514-22.46.32.jpeg

Rear:
Silver Blitz 650: Royal Enfield Interceptor Ownership Review-whatsapp-image-20200514-22.46.33.jpeg
Torino is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks