Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th March 2007, 00:20   #46
Senior - BHPian

Ho the famous 180 vs zma ! ..its not fair to compare a 180 with 223 cc ...as ET says let it be 220 vc 223 .

ppl say plusar is cheap quality ..what exactly ?
PPl say gear box is notchy ..yes it is ,it was only in <=v1 versions.There is a solution for that ...search around ,it hardly takes one hour to fix it!
Plusar instrumention console does not get replaced in 5k kms
neither does the exhaust , nor do the cam tensior every 1000kms , the rear and side panels are horribly expensive nor do the chain set which costs an equivalent of a gold chain.The foot rests ,if it falls of the side stand in parking ,costs >1200 rs .The dreaded tappet sounds .Blown fuses and rear tail lamps .Less said the better about mileage.And offcourse not to mention the waiting list for the parts to arrive.
you still need reasons not to buy a plusar ?...instead go pick up the all new upgraded/restickerd one.

PS :Stock clutch plates lasts for more than 30 K Kms .Have changed only once during 55k kms( this includes countless burnouts ,wheelies, drags, plenty or touring and rough terrain ) of running.

Last edited by black12rr : 17th March 2007 at 00:26.
Old 17th March 2007, 00:27   #47
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrstyx View Post
you say that the bike's parts are cheaper in BAL but what about the durability of the parts they are pathetic.....
you end up changing the parts more often than you do in h and hh which are costly...

dude get your math right here the clutch plates of pulsar get wornout every 6-7k kms ( when ridden with a little higher trottle riding than the minimum in pulsar )
I thought we were having an objective decision here... your post here is hardly objective. Its pretty clear you got something aganist Pulsar... cool down dude... chillax!
Old 17th March 2007, 08:46   #48
Senior - BHPian

after looking around a lot and riding the pulsar 150/180 and cbz/zma and abusing the bikes on high revs all the time , i can comfertably comment that the cbz/zma are more fun to ride/corner and rip....i own a 2003 cbz and she almost sees the redlines on every ride..and i engine brake like hell.. still the gear box & engine has taken the abuse well...my numerous friends who own pulsars would swear that they wish the never had brought the bike..one close friend / room mate has a relatively newer 180 fear the black..he too abuses the bike a lot..i.e engine braking and keeping the revs high all the time..but the gearbox/engine leave a lot to be desired...
and whoever said that the pulsar is the quickest and the fastest 150 in straight line..i disagree...have done the same thing countless number of times with different riders and diffrent bikes just to prove the point again and again that cbz is quicker and has a higher top end..cant say anything about the new cbz extreme because did not get an opertunity to ride her for a longer duration..
talking about the ZMA ..4 of the guys in my group own it and she surely is something that i desire to own...love the way she moves and corners,gives you a lot of confidence ..... as some one mentioned about the nut falling down from the silencer, all my 4 friends with zmas have experienced that..i would really not recommend pulsars 150/180 anyone who buys the bike just for having fun..i.e frequent abusing.

will have to wait for long term ownership reports of the 200/220 pulsars...the 220 really looks good on the paper..still waiting to ride it..i sincerely hope its faster and handles better than the ZMA..this is one bike i am watching closely.
Old 17th March 2007, 10:19   #49
Senior - BHPian

I don't think its necessarily this vs that. If one's a great handler, the other may be decent too. If one's very refined, hardly implies the other is unreliable. I think the difference is somewhere in between, and the packages are quite different. What you prefer is upto you. I prefer a bike I can get serviced/repaired by decent hands, and after numerous experiences - both first and second hand - I'd rather stick to Bajaj cause I trust the servie centre! Better quality maintenance will matter way more than some level of differences in initial design and build - given both are high end enough bikes, and everyone's using reasonable decent maching etc, I'm sure both brands are at least 'so good'.

For the Ps handling, I did hazaar switchbacks, and the road to Nubra was just a series of curve, curve, curve. Am sure the ZMA can do that too. The longer wheelbase DTSis and the new 200/220's may be less flick-friendly, but its more a question of getting comfortable with what they can. On the other hand, over a short test ride, the new 200 felt way more firmly planted, compared to my 180 which feels a little nervous on not so firm ground when leaning (that said, have recovered without falling from slides during major lean angles)

Last edited by zenx : 17th March 2007 at 10:21.
Old 17th March 2007, 11:23   #50
Senior - BHPian

@heavy... No ne is questioning the fact here that ZMA & CBZ both are good bikes, but thats not the reason to ridicule bajaj.
Old 17th March 2007, 12:54   #51
Senior - BHPian

@extreme... I am not ridiculeing bajaj...i am just being fare and stating the facts about the pulsar twins..afterall arent we here to give our honest opinions and talk about our experiences??
Old 17th March 2007, 15:07   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme_torque View Post
I thought we were having an objective decision here... your post here is hardly objective. Its pretty clear you got something aganist Pulsar... cool down dude... chillax!
dude my point was how can you compare p180 with ZMA????? if its the spares and the maintainance?
Old 17th March 2007, 15:51   #53
BHPian

Logical Thinking.......!!!!!
How can bajaj give Bikes cheaper cost(even with most of the mordern features like LED tails and Digital Instruments) comparing to most of the bikes?????
If bajaj can give bikes with that cost (good quality) why is the other companies not giving???? give me answers.......!

i think you may have understand
Old 17th March 2007, 19:48   #54
Senior - BHPian

Bajaj dont sponsor crores of Rs/- to stupid filmy award funtions , cricket matches or hire nonsense ppl (read film or cricket stars ) . They dont pay royalty to honda .
Old 18th March 2007, 12:48   #55
BHPian

A Fiero is bike apart all other bikes.......its life is more than any other bike till what i have seen....regarding pulsars....a new pulsar is good (i think better than any other 150 cc bike)....let go 10000kms......its noisy,it gives vibes more than a KB100...the gearshift produces sounds like if we are hammering metal.......i personally dont think that it is a bad bike but when it comes to ownership P150 was not even an option for me ....i cannot own a pulsar....its tooo common...and i think that made me buy apache which i dont consider a good bike but still i think owning an apache is better than owning a pulsar...
Old 18th March 2007, 15:30   #56
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
A Fiero is bike apart all other bikes.......its life is more than any other bike till what i have seen....regarding pulsars....a new pulsar is good (i think better than any other 150 cc bike)....let go 10000kms......its noisy,it gives vibes more than a KB100...the gearshift produces sounds like if we are hammering metal.......i personally dont think that it is a bad bike but when it comes to ownership P150 was not even an option for me ....i cannot own a pulsar....its tooo common...and i think that made me buy apache which i dont consider a good bike but still i think owning an apache is better than owning a pulsar...
You bought a bike you didnt think of as good... Just cause it wasnt as common???

Come on man... There is a reason why pulsars are so common... Its because people are buying it instead of other 150+ bikes... Giving ads for burnouts and stunts and all havent helped the competition by much... Have they???

Between, i dont claim pulsar is better than any other bike... But... After owning a P180 DTSi for the past 8500+ kms... I am very happy with the bike (except for the service, but both HH and Bajaj service sucks here in trivandrum) and would defenitly recommend it...
Old 18th March 2007, 17:19   #57
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by garvit2002 View Post
Well this is the case with most people.... they speak all **** about pulsar without even owning one... its all hearsay!
Old 19th March 2007, 23:47   #58
Senior - BHPian

Having owned a P180 Classic, 180 DTSi V1 and currently, a ZMA, I would like to share my views.

It's not just that the quality of materials used by Bajaj are of cheaper grade.

The engineering efforts put into Bajaj machines are, dare I say, lacklustre. Why you ask? Let me elaborate.

The Pulsars' rear suspension, weight distribution and steering combo, to begin with, are not set up right. From the factory. How many of you have noticed that the Pulsars' rear chain slackens up under suspension load, instread of tightening up? Or that the front fork rebound isn't damped adequately? And please don't get me started on the engine and tranny.

HH, as a company, is not that bad. Especially when you consider the fact that the CBZ revolutionised performace biking. And with respect to ZMA, the reason that the mechanicals are so damn reliable is because of the simple fact that the powertrain has been borrowed from the Honda CRF 230. A dirtbike with rally pedigree, built to insane tolerance levels.

I, personally, love Bajaj. But that doesn't make me hate HH. Both have it's pros and cons. Competition is good. Period.

And as for the original topic- although Bajaj bikes allow affordable performance to the masses, it comes at a cost. Reliability and refinement. Nevertheless, Pulsars are worth every penny. The new-gen Pulsars lack that "wow" factor (read: raw thrust) of the Classic and V1 variants, but still, they are terrific VFM.

Now, if there were a 180cc variant of the CBZ at, say, 65K OTR, perhaps my mind would sway....
Old 20th March 2007, 10:18   #59
Team-BHP Support

As Veyron mentioned, both HH and BAL bikes have their share of goods and bads. To go about bashing one particular manufacturer isnt really required.

I own a Classic Pulsar 150, and despite the small niggles which keep popping up, i can rely on it, not to let me down. Spares being easy to procure, and cheaper in price i dont feel its so much of an issue.
For a bike which i have abused in terms of drags, falls, negligence, long trips, as well as used for daily commuting.. it has taken it all in its stride.

I have even used it for carrying those 20 liter water cans during emergencies. Have had a friend sit behind and support a gas cylinder, and during all these the bike still had enough and more grunt to carry on.

So what if the bike chain goes slack at times.. if u have a good mechanic, that can be taken care of. With a BAL service centre just 2 blocks from where i stay, not an issue.

P.S. : I love the HH CBZ (not the Xtreme), and would love to own one if it still were in production.
Old 20th March 2007, 11:58   #60
Senior - BHPian

My Bad why did I replied on this thread. Anyways rode to Lavasa valley on saturday with a P220. So a detailed Comparo coming up for P220 Vs ZMA

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks