Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th May 2007, 02:01   #106
BHPian

you know what, i don't blame bajaj for the situation.It is the a.s.s which is pathetic. A pulsar on factory settingsd is a gr8 bike, but give it for 1st service and you'll realize how they screw it up. It's a good bike to own, just that the support is pathetic.
Old 6th May 2007, 03:47   #107
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
And with respect to ZMA, the reason that the mechanicals are so damn reliable is because of the simple fact that the powertrain has been borrowed from the Honda CRF 230. A dirtbike with rally pedigree, built to insane tolerance levels
Dont think so Veyron, not even by a long shot. CRF is a liq cooled, 4v, ultra short stroke engine with pancake piston and Honda's UNICAM. Probably pushes out 30 bhp.
Old 6th May 2007, 04:35   #108
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower; Nope. Not at all. I believe you're thinking of the CB series..or the CRF 450. ZMA powertrain is the direct descendant of CRF 230..

Check this out...

2005 Honda CRF 230 F specifications and pictures

Everything down to the Bore and Stroke are the same...except fot the 6-speed tranny and squish chamber...and no, no flat top or pancake crowns...

Last edited by veyron1 : 6th May 2007 at 04:43.
Old 6th May 2007, 12:31   #109
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ok. Lemme clarify a few points.

About the ZMA's clutch; the guy who did the burnout could've smoked his clutch ONLY under the foll conditions;

A) There was little or no engine oil.
B) The odo had clocked more than 15K kms.

There's no other way. The clutch, irrespective of bike, takes lesser load while doing a burnout, than it does under full throttle at 120kmph.

Secondly- HH's plastics are far better than Bajaj's. I have seen 50K run ZMA's with no rattles/squeaks, whereas my very own DTSi used to creak at 8K...

As for the cam tensioner- that's because of inadequate lubrication and incorrect cam gear ratios. The engine (originally 6-speed Honda CRF 230) is de-tuned, remember? And for the chain/sprocket; there's such a thing as too much torque. Try pulling the ZMA from 30 kmph in 5th, and you'll find out. The gearing has to be taller. This's the only Indian bike that redlines in 5th. But the joke is, Pulsar has shorter ratios. And yet...
The odo reading for the particular ZMA's was 13k when the clutch gace away. The bike wasnt revving over 4k rpm after that. Its a well maintained ZMA with oil change religiously done at every 1500-2000 kms. Its the one with a metallic karizma sticker on tank.
I have had die hard ZMA fans cribbing about the plastics even under normal use, no abuse. I have never seen a pulsar with rattles coming from the body plastics, buzzing and rattles are different, if you know what i mean. The plastics on pulsar are some of the best and durable i have come accross on any bike.
Whatever be the reason for cam tensioner's fiasco you have to agree that it was a problem and a pretty expensive one at that.
Ohhh... too much torque... they could have compensated for that during the R&D stage itself and can you justify its cost... its bloody 2600 rs.. i am sure the pulsar's Oring chain sprocket costs lesser!
Dude before you go ga ga over the in-gear times remember, 180V2 has 43cc capacity disadvantage, even the my 180 V2 pulls cleanely from 30 kph in 5th and goes to 60 kph in not more than 4-5 seconds!
Going by the Autocar's figures, ZMA's cant touch the 180V2's in-gear acceleration times... though they beat it in 0-100 kph and top speed.
Please dont talk like a fanboy, i have never seen a ZMA redline in topgear unless and until its a downwards slope with winds on your backside. Infact autocar in one of its review mentioned that 180V2 is the only bike that hits redline in 5th, and it does but on a slight downwards slope.
On second thoughts can you give me the rpm figure ZMA redlines at and the rpm reading at 100 kph?

Last edited by extreme_torque : 6th May 2007 at 12:35.
Old 6th May 2007, 18:42   #110
Senior - BHPian

@extreme torque: Perhaps you misunderstood my post. I love all machines, and pulsar and ZMA are no exceptions. I'm no "fanboy", as you quote.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme torque
The odo reading for the particular ZMA's was 13k when the clutch gace away. The bike wasnt revving over 4k rpm after that. Its a well maintained ZMA with oil change religiously done at every 1500-2000 kms. Its the one with a metallic karizma sticker on tank.
13K, you say? Possibly. But not revving above 4K? I seriously doubt it was a clutch issue. Had the clutch worn out, the bike would normally rev upto it's redline. Just the gearshifting would be really notchy, and the lever would have more than 4mm of play under std. settings. I believe your friend fouled up other aspects of his engine, including possibly fried vlaves. Not the clutch. Not if the engine wouldn't rev past 4K RPM, as you speak.

Quote:
I have had die hard ZMA fans cribbing about the plastics even under normal use, no abuse........

The plastics on pulsar are some of the best and durable i have come accross on any bike.
To each, his own.

Quote:
Ohhh... too much torque... they could have compensated for that during the R&D stage itself and can you justify its cost... its bloody 2600 rs.. i am sure the pulsar's Oring chain sprocket costs lesser!
Like I said. Every manufacturer has it's own flaws. HH had to screw up the gearing as it is after reducing one cog from the original design. And could you specify regarding Pulsar's "Oring chain sprocket"..? Every Indian bike has a exposed non-lubed O-ring rear sprocket. And yes, Pulsar's set is less expensive.

Quote:
Dude before you go ga ga over the in-gear times remember, 180V2 has 43cc capacity disadvantage, even the my 180 V2 pulls cleanely from 30 kph in 5th and goes to 60 kph in not more than 4-5 seconds!
Going by the Autocar's figures, ZMA's cant touch the 180V2's in-gear acceleration times... though they beat it in 0-100 kph and top speed.
Please read my post carefully.

Quote:
Originally Posted by extreme power
But the joke is, Pulsar has shorter ratios. And yet...
Which means that the Pulsar IS actually faster than the ZMA in terms of in-gear roll-ons...I meant the overall performance. HH's ususally have a lower redline than BAJAJ's, hence theoretically negating any advantage taller gearing HH has. But still, Bajaj's fail to shine. And I say this from experience. Forget the ZMA. The CBZ/extreme would whup the Pulsar 150 in terms of flat-out acceleration and top speed. Just test it to see what I mean. The 150 redlines at 9K, and the CBZ/ extreme at 8K.

Quote:
i have never seen a ZMA redline in topgear unless and until its a downwards slope with winds on your backside. Infact autocar in one of its review mentioned that 180V2 is the only bike that hits redline in 5th, and it does but on a slight downwards slope.
On second thoughts can you give me the rpm figure ZMA redlines at and the rpm reading at 100 kph?
Perhaps you weren't riding right. ZMA's ALWAYS redline in fifth, given the road. As for the RPM figures, here you go;

@100 kmph; 6300 RPM(approx)
@ 130 kmph; 8250 RPM(approx)- redline is at 8K.
@ 140 kmph (speedo read); 8600 RPM (approx).
Old 6th May 2007, 19:23   #111
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Mpower; Nope. Not at all. I believe you're thinking of the CB series..or the CRF 450. ZMA powertrain is the direct descendant of CRF 230..

Check this out...

2005 Honda CRF 230 F specifications and pictures

Everything down to the Bore and Stroke are the same...except fot the 6-speed tranny and squish chamber...and no, no flat top or pancake crowns...
Here is the US market CRF250 that I was refering to.
http://powersports.honda.com/motorcy...delId=CRF250R7
Old 6th May 2007, 21:12   #112
Senior - BHPian

@Mpower; Ah, yes. But that's the 250, not the 230...perhaps HH should have brought that one in..makes much more sense..

And it seems I goofed up on the "quotes" in my previous post...kindly read all "extreme power"s as "extreme torque"s...

And this...

Quote:
was supposed to be...

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Apologies for typos. Was in a hurry.
Old 7th May 2007, 17:28   #113
BHPian

Pulsar 2nd hand in not worth of buying..
The reasons according to me

1. Bajaj change models in quick succession(with lot more physical changes and even some major changes)..
like classic to V1
V1 to V2
V2 to Ug3

2. Well maintained Pulsar also gives problems...
3. How can we identify well maintained Pulsars unless you are an extreme Expert????

**The last point is common for any bikes
Old 12th September 2007, 21:05   #114

Guys...I plan to buy a Pulsar 200 or 220 cc....pls advise which will be a better deal in the long run ?
Old 13th September 2007, 17:18   #115
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summitkakkar View Post
Guys...I plan to buy a Pulsar 200 or 220 cc....pls advise which will be a better deal in the long run ?
Pulsar 220, if you've cash to spoil yourselves !
Old 13th September 2007, 21:34   #116
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
Pulsar 220, if you've cash to spoil yourselves !
220!
Its got better mileage, bigger-bike feel (I feel 200 looks better), FI which should give about same mileage if not better. Get the 220!
Old 14th September 2007, 10:31   #117
BHPian

yaar i have Pulsar 150 v2 Dtsi and this is the first time i have come across some body so unhappy with the bike. it was my regular office ride before i got my cars .
had done around 50 k on the bike and maintenance was never a big issue as i got it serviced religiously on time.

now my brother has been riding it and still no complaints.
Old 15th September 2007, 01:45   #118
Senior - BHPian

@msharma dude lets just say that bajaj needs to have some control and good policies on quality control there are too many defective pulsars rolling out of the assembly line and many people religiously maintaining their pulsars with the coupons in the service book let had their bore jobs and exhausts changed under the warranty at least in Hyderabad i know a few guys personally who have got these done under the warranty!

its just a bit sad to hear all this!
Old 2nd February 2008, 16:46   #119
priyank

caution

well, the new pulsar 220, is not the best for the looks and the price it commands, also the first look at the bike doesnt give a very good impression about the vehicle in terms of perfection in design, the rear handle looks ugly too

dont commit a mistake, but a pulsar 180 instead

Old 2nd February 2008, 18:45   #120
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by priyank View Post
well, the new pulsar 220, is not the best for the looks and the price it commands, also the first look at the bike doesnt give a very good impression about the vehicle in terms of perfection in design, the rear handle looks ugly too

dont commit a mistake, but a pulsar 180 instead
Now this is heights!! Each one has different tastes, but asking someone to buy a 180 instead of the 220 isn't a good idea. I have personally ridden the 220 and it is a good upgrade from the 150s and 180s. It looks different from the run-of-the-mill performance bikes (in india), especially with the front fairing, exposed chain, fatter rear tyre and the split grab-rail, to name a few. Ofcourse, you also have added advantage of FI, good performance coupled with good mileage and it's an overall improved product from Bajaj in terms of quality.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks