Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th April 2007, 17:26   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananthkamath View Post
Were you drunk when you wrote this?

Engine breathing 101: bigger carb will never help on a stock engine.
No, I don't drink and write.

Engine breathing 102: in India, all bikes come under-carbed. Leaned out as much as possible to increase mileage. Switch carbs and see what happens. Don't take my word for it.
Old 9th April 2007, 19:14   #32
Senior - BHPian

maybe I was drunk. i was hallucinating and referring to 2-strokes when i said that. sorry.
Old 10th April 2007, 03:55   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r View Post
Well, if you are serious, you could upjet the carb, and put an aftermarket airfilter. Or maybe try a bigger carb. And there's always scope for a port job on the head. But I don't think you can go much further than that. Maybe we should think of a twin-cam swap into the chassis.
No my friend,i said some sane modifications to...umm..let us see..increase mid-range or low end or even some noticable difference.

You see he was using a early model Fiero for his city commute for about 4 years,now after much deliberations he bought a Honda shine,after just running it for 1500 odd kms he sold it saying it does not have much of mid or top end!!

15 days back he bought a Unicorn(my recommendation),he has run about 750 kms and says he can do with a little increase thru some bolt on(reliable) parts!

Now iam not much into 4 strokers nor am i upto date with bike modifications!Hence my shout here.

@Yogesh Sarkar-Thanks for a very sound advice.But you may have understood my situation 2 bikes in less than 3 months( i was the buffon who advised him to sell his favorite fiero)..my scalp is at stake here.
Old 10th April 2007, 05:31   #34
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm, an airfilter and appropriate upjet would increase power and torque, and throttle response. Though whether it will be enough is debatable. I am told the CBZ Xtreme camshaft makes some difference to the Unicorn, though how much, again, I'm not sure...
Old 10th April 2007, 08:04   #35
BHPian

I guess in that case you can try UNI filter along with upsized jets, a friend of mine was running 120-122 (don’t remember the exact size) jet with stock air filter. There was a noticeable difference in the initial acceleration of the bike.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:19   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by yogesh sarkar View Post
I guess in that case you can try UNI filter along with upsized jets, a friend of mine was running 120-122 (don’t remember the exact size) jet with stock air filter. There was a noticeable difference in the initial acceleration of the bike.
tiggy ...that noticable difference is not worth thousands of rupess and man hours and for reliablity and mileage.
Old 10th April 2007, 11:59   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert fox View Post
No my friend,i said some sane modifications to...umm..let us see..increase mid-range or low end or even some noticable difference.
Quote:
Originally Posted by black12rr View Post
tiggy ...that noticable difference is not worth thousands of rupess and man hours and for reliablity and mileage.
, I guess he can try to use slightly bigger jets (no freeflow filters) (which would have to machined), once done service center people wouldn't even know it.
Old 10th April 2007, 14:29   #38
BHPian

Thanks a lot guy's!

O.k let me see if i have understood this right? Upsize jets(Q:100-122 right?).

Filter not exactly needed right?(since keeping the vehicle as reliable as possible is also a point).Or is it O.K to go for one?

NOW for barrage 2!!! Where do you proccure the jets suiting the Unicorn? If iam recommended to install a air filter,which one and should i stick to OE(if K&N) and what are my options?

So i am recommended to stick to these modifications and not risk any further since it is not for any performance seeking endevour and for daily commuting(but slight improved drivablity)purpose?

Chalo,based on the Boss-logo ki reply i will start on the work and save my scalp!
Old 26th April 2007, 14:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Hmmm, an airfilter and appropriate upjet would increase power and torque, and throttle response. Though whether it will be enough is debatable. I am told the CBZ Xtreme camshaft makes some difference to the Unicorn, though how much, again, I'm not sure...

can some one please explain what this "cam" of cbz xtreme is in the first place?

and also give the price of this "cam"?

also i wanted to know how the (gear's i guess) compression ratios on unicorn can be changed.

Last edited by rider60 : 26th April 2007 at 14:23.
Old 26th April 2007, 14:42   #40
Senior - BHPian

what is the suggested model of the K&N filter one need to install for unicorn? i mean atleast give me a limit for the size or a range to select.

and about the jets is there a brand for these jets to be bought from? what size? please give details.

i recently found a guy who does porting. he actually stays in pune but is here in hyderabad for holidays may be he will work on my bike in his holidays hopefully i have my fingers crossed.

as for the tyres i have planned to go for the pirelli or any other good brand and/or pattern that matches the following specification: 120/70-17" for the rear tyre and 100/70-17" or a 90/90-17" for the front tyre. i could find these tyres on the pirelli's website and i hope to get these here too...

as for the handle i like the stock for now and no thoughts on it yet.

that should conclude my bike's mods for now. any other ideas or things i havenot considered are welcome.

Last edited by rider60 : 26th April 2007 at 14:45.
Old 26th April 2007, 16:12   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
NOW for barrage 2!!! Where do you proccure the jets suiting the Unicorn? If iam recommended to install a air filter,which one and should i stick to OE(if K&N) and what are my options?
Unicorn has Keihin carbs and i don't know if the jets matches the Mikuni BS carb jets that comes in Pulsars. If it's the same then you can buy Solex jets. Go for K&N it will be as good.
Old 26th April 2007, 20:14   #42
BHPian

I guess you need to get the jets machined, else try finding out if Karizma jets would fit or not.

Don’t go for Pirelli’s they are really heavy, instead get Michelin M45 which are lighter and offer really good grip. Remember the bigger tyre size and the sticker tyres you get, the more power you will loose.
Old 27th April 2007, 02:11   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Nope. Zma is a good bet. You can port it to get about 15 bhp on the wheel. Which would mean about 18+ on the crank.
Actually, the stock ZMA puts out 14.7 at the wheel. Proper induction work sees the power go up to 20 at crank, with exhaust work, of course, and about 17-17.5 at the wheel. Work up the compression, flywheel and conrods, and you're looking at 22....

But then again, it COULD work out to be more sensible to buy a used 400RR and go tweakin'...220 kmph for <2.5L...
Old 3rd June 2007, 18:37   #44
BHPian

what is jetting???? please help me.
Old 3rd August 2007, 15:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

well i have finally begin moda on my unicorn!

here are the pics of the initial mods and the list awaiting for the bike is as follows

a k&N rc-1060 hopefully

crab jetting

a tectrac xhaust system

engine boring to increase the cc to 165cc not more than that!

a port job

alloys hopefully p200's along with p200's tyre specs if they dont fit will i will definately get the karizma's alloys along with the disk plate that looks big.

a rear disk-break

a better speedometer set that would suit the look of my bike for i am trying hard to make it look like the naked roadsters like the honda hornet or the twister.

Last edited by rider60 : 3rd August 2007 at 16:02.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks