Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th December 2007, 10:09   #91
Senior - BHPian

@rider60: thanks mate, the company alloys always look the best

@speedfreak: yes the silver uni looks smashing with black alloys.
Old 30th December 2007, 02:49   #92
Senior - BHPian

R&D on JETTING IN UNICORN!!!

well i have tried the complete set of jets from 105 to 125!

yet i have found out after a tiresome week, with a tank ful of petrol burnt up in testing and sleepless nights, that the stock jet the 115 size is the best fit for the initial and the best top end!

these are the following jets i bought and gave my mechanic,

1.105 size old pulsar's/ cbz classic's
2.110 size pulsar ug2's i guess
3.117.5 i guess its avenger's
4.118 achiever's jet(borrowed it for a week for a friend)
5.125 zma's jet.

then i bought some five samurai's jets all 90 size, which were drilled using the for the R&D,

i dint replace any slow jet's though, after all the R&D here are the results with the respective jets with and without the filter!

well i started with the 105 size, man the bike suffered like hell with out any fuel , sort of chocked at times well the initial, was bad but then the mid range was good and smooth, however the bike did not go beyond 90! this was all with the filter!

then i put in the 110 size the initial and the mid range was wow with out the filter,,i dint put in the filter for this jet at all, but was little under powered in comparison to the stock the top end dint cross 92!

then the 118 achiever's jet the initial and the midrange and the top end were all awesome with this but the top end dint cross100, it sort of gave a punchy feel but wasnt good at topend, and the bike felt sluggish overall! this too was with out the air filter!

then finally the zma's jet, this had initial midrange up to 80 and was very sluggish the whole time, the engine was too enriched!

and then came the conclusion that the stock was the best fit!!!!!!!!!!!, and is the final best size for the engine, unlike the pulsars and the other bikes, where jetting does give a proper punch!

then i reverted back to the stock jet and then i put my concentration on the cam shaft, well will have the camshaft welded and ready day after evening!, will try and post the pictures of the entire welding mods!

the total cost was a tank full of petrol for just testing the whole 15 good liter down the drain,

then the jets cost me around 80 each from the whole sale market, but they were all original.

the samurai jets were 20 a piece

then the drilling bits used for the samurai jets were 200!

the 90 size jets i used on unicorn for achieve the unmanufactured sizes like 120, and 122 , which i achieved using the measuring tools! from the lathe shop, same shop where my camshaft is being welded for more circumference! but all the R&D for the bike went in vain!

so the total cost incurred was like 1950 bucks including the labour and a sleepless week!

now i need to get the camshaft done dont know what bomb it will cost!

my final conclusion is that one can go in for the hh achiever's jet size 118 if they are really in to K&N. but they need to bare in mind that the top end will be lost, only the initial and the midrange will get the boosts that too only like 1/6th time the actual power but will fell awesome, because of the silent drag!

other wise the stock 115 size is the best bet for the best initial and the top end!

Last edited by rider60 : 30th December 2007 at 02:52.
Old 30th December 2007, 02:55   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedfreak7116 View Post
Nice and clean job there.. My dad has a silver Unicorn himself but the old spoke rim model.. Will advise him to get alloys too

try and get the cbz xtreme's alloys they look better and are surely a retrofit just like the stock uni alloys!
Old 30th December 2007, 09:59   #94
Senior - BHPian

Keihin jets and Mikuni jets are not same. The Unicorn has a Keihin carb i believe. Mikuni jets will not gel well with the Keihin carb and even the numbering system followed by both companies are different.

In the case of Mikuni jets there are two types one is the round head and the other one is the hex head (found in RX, RD etc). The hex heads are marked according to the flow/minute and the round heads are marked based on the size of the hole in microns.

For example a hex head of size 165 is smaller than a round head of size 115.

Some vehicles with Mik carb and round head jet sizes which u can use in other Mik carbs:-

Bullet 350 - 90
Maruti 800 - 97.5
Bullet 500 - 110
Pulsar 180 Dtsi - 115
Avenger 180 - 125
Thunderbrd - 110

Also if looking for roundhead jets mik type, check out auto parts store for solex jets, they'll work.
Sankar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th January 2008, 14:52   #95
Senior - BHPian

Changed the tyre to Michelin M45....Looks like a 120 ish side

The Half CHain Guard
http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/5302/dsc02249rh4.jpg

The TYre
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/5706/dsc02251qd2.jpg

The tailside

http://img505.imageshack.us/img505/9991/dsc02256ue3.jpg
Old 15th January 2008, 23:23   #96
Senior - BHPian

Well done, rider60. It feels wonderful to go through modification logs such as these; very few people actually bother to go through the pains. Kudos.

Looking forward to all future posts on further developments.

P.S- don't mean to play spoilsport, but cam profiling is not a simple job; if only looking for a higher lift, make sure that the lobe is not LOP-SIDED.
Old 16th January 2008, 00:34   #97
Senior - BHPian

@motomaverick: Overall, great work there. However, I personally prefer the HL fairing (dome) of the Type 1 Unicorn. By the way, how much did the OE alloys cost you I suppose thats a direct fit.

Seeing all this I have a strong inkling to shod my Type 1 Unicorn with alloys now.
Old 16th January 2008, 09:46   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rr_zen View Post
@motomaverick: Overall, great work there. However, I personally prefer the HL fairing (dome) of the Type 1 Unicorn. By the way, how much did the OE alloys cost you I suppose thats a direct fit.

Seeing all this I have a strong inkling to shod my Type 1 Unicorn with alloys now.
The OEM alloys costed 6500 bucks, since u have the 1st gen unicorn just like mine then u will need the new disc plate as well thats another 1250 bucks plus labor charges as applicable.

1 thing is there the OEM alloys are pretty sturdy.
Old 21st January 2008, 12:42   #99
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Well done, rider60. It feels wonderful to go through modification logs such as these; very few people actually bother to go through the pains. Kudos.

Looking forward to all future posts on further developments.

P.S- don't mean to play spoilsport, but cam profiling is not a simple job; if only looking for a higher lift, make sure that the lobe is not LOP-SIDED.
thank you, well yes i dont exactly know what my mechanic is trying to do with the cams, as far as i can understand what he says is that, bigger the lobes than the stock, more they push the valve's springs resulting in more power, well now i dont exactly know its going to increase the power or break the valve springs, lets hope i wouldnt have to rebuild the engine!
Old 24th March 2008, 07:02   #100
Senior - BHPian

Guys, need some help with my type 1 Unicorn as I am returning to India in a week's time. My requirements are pretty simple and mostly cosmetic:

1. My bike is a kick-start version and hence has the smaller battery. I want to go in for better horn(s) as the stock horn is pathetic. I am not sure if the larger battery(available on the self-start version) will be a direct fit onto my bike. If not, what modifications would I require ?

2. I detest the OE rear-view mirrors. From your experiences, which one do you think will be the best after-market fitment ?

3. I also intend to change the black side panels as they portray cheap quality material. I would like to get the panels of the type 2 Unicorn (in grey colour with the sticker 'MonoSuspension'). Are these still available at the authorised dealers ?(as the type 3 Unicorn is in vogue now)

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by rr_zen : 24th March 2008 at 07:04.
Old 25th March 2008, 16:23   #101
Senior - BHPian

you might need a larger battery, just try and get one more unicorn horn from the spares or other shops and fit it with a branded relay. It will do just fine!

you can try and get a bigger better mirrors from HH which i believe to be a direct fit!

the side panels you are talking about are the version 3 uni's i believe they might require some modifications to fit! just check it out as the mounts on the tank for the older one might be different.

happy biking!
Old 25th March 2008, 19:04   #102
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
you might need a larger battery, just try and get one more unicorn horn from the spares or other shops and fit it with a branded relay. It will do just fine!

you can try and get a bigger better mirrors from HH which i believe to be a direct fit!

the side panels you are talking about are the version 3 uni's i believe they might require some modifications to fit! just check it out as the mounts on the tank for the older one might be different.

happy biking!
Thanks for the replies, rider60. On the side panels, am sure I want the ones found on version 2 Unicorn and not the one on version 3. The reason I am intending to change these is because the ones found on version 1(that I have) appear to be crappy IMO and the ones on the version 2 are much better with ABS plastic and a metallic finish.
Old 18th August 2008, 05:16   #103
BHPian

Hello Any thing happened here ? what happened to the cam ?
Old 18th August 2008, 14:37   #104
Senior - BHPian

muneemmk i dint find any one with the proper skills to make one for me so it dint work out i am running a stock cam as of now, i had tried cbz xtreme's cam, it dint work out there was power drop with it!, the lobes of xtreme's cam are positioned differently, i mean the angle between then is different, and one is smaller that the other, made for only that engine wont suit uni and one would experience a power drop because both the lobes in uni's cam are the same size!

how ever i had tried this with xtreme's cam i ran it stock with out welding it and also had welded it to increase the lobes by 2mm and the other by 1mm, the job was not very neat but still gave it a shot, bu there was not increase in the power, when i did this the engine's sound changed and the bike felt STOCK!, so this cam was not suitable!

after that i dint try it with another uni's cam as the job done on the extreme's cam was not very good, the lobes need to be churned out evenly and precisely by an experienced person this was unavailable to me and there after i lost interest on the same, but if i find a skill person who can execute this properly i will do this for sure and will post it here!

also my latest mechanic enlightened me with this, the experiment with the stock cam of unicorn was not advised by him, he said welding it the locally available metal on to it and profiling it would not last(/wear out) more than a month, one needs the same metal alloy as used by the factory to either weld or forge it for it to stay like that way, its better one gets this made and forged than weld a mm more on that lobe!, if some one is able to achieve this please let me know!

and that is exactly where i am stuck! if you want to try welding on to a cam then try welding on the lobes and increase the circumference at the tips and not more than 1-2 mm but doing so you also need to be prepared to change the head if some thing goes wrong as there is a possibility of it fouling with the cam/rocker housing made of aluminum and also the valves!

this experiment cost me 2500-3000 bucks nearly and i changed the following in the pics!,

the rocker set!
the cam housing!
the head cover nuts and bolts including the rubber bushes on them!
and the rubber seal of the cover!
bought a cbz's cam cost for that!
welding job 400
petrol for all the trial and error!
labout to try all this out!

right now i cant find the cam so sorry for that no pics of the same i will search for it at home and post the pics as soon as i find it. rest of the pics are here!

if one is ready for this go ahead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar View Post
Keihin jets and Mikuni jets are not same. The Unicorn has a Keihin carb i believe. Mikuni jets will not gel well with the Keihin carb and even the numbering system followed by both companies are different.

In the case of Mikuni jets there are two types one is the round head and the other one is the hex head (found in RX, RD etc). The hex heads are marked according to the flow/minute and the round heads are marked based on the size of the hole in microns.

For example a hex head of size 165 is smaller than a round head of size 115.

Some vehicles with Mik carb and round head jet sizes which u can use in other Mik carbs:-

Bullet 350 - 90
Maruti 800 - 97.5
Bullet 500 - 110
Pulsar 180 Dtsi - 115
Avenger 180 - 125
Thunderbrd - 110

Also if looking for roundhead jets mik type, check out auto parts store for solex jets, they'll work.

sankar back then did not know all this but any way i tried all the jets i mentioned and that was the result of that!

and this cam experiment was done 2 months after the jetting but it dint turn out good so dint bother posting but posting it now any way as i am asked! hope it helps and correct me for anything wrong and any methods to achieve this is well appreciated i will do this, this time if am confident i can get it right, for that i need to find a good mechanic first!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01677.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01679.jpg  

Old 19th August 2008, 03:41   #105
Senior - BHPian

these are the head lights and fairings i tried previously on the uni.

i liked the one with the round head light and big fairing, right now the bike has smaller fairing but has the round head light like in the previous picture.

let me know how you liked the bike better with round head light and shorter fairing or round with the long fairing or the third one with only stock reflector?

as long as there is encouragement,inspiration and time i will try all that i can to make it look and perform better.

do let me know guys which you liked the most!
Attached Thumbnails
Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01069.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01070.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01072.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01074.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01335.jpg  

Honda Unicorn - Cosmetic and Performance mods - please give your views (Pics on Pg 9)-dsc01337.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks