Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:07   #1
BHPian

Dealer blames me for motorcycle damage after a test-ride. UPDATE: They are claiming insurance (pg 4)

Needed your advise.

Yesterday, I visited the Royal Enfield showroom located in Bangalore to test ride the Meteor 350.

I had to show my license and fill out a form after which the security guard gave me the key of the bike and said I need to take the first left turn followed by the next left and return.

The bike was parked on the pavement between other bikes so I carefully took it out and started it. As I moved ahead, the bike turned off and I stretched my leg down, however as it was a pavement, my right leg stretched down 5 inches below onto the road due to which the bike tilted (Please note that the bike did not fall down) and I wasn't able to bring it back to an upright position due to its weight.

The security guard helped me into the upright position and checked around after which I completed my test ride and parked it at the same spot. After returning the keys to the security guard I went into the showroom and was informed about the variants, colours and waiting period which took about 10 minutes after which I left the showroom.

Two hours later, I received a call from the showroom saying that the bike has been damaged (petrol tank is dented) and I need to come over.

Please note the bike did not fall nor was damaged in any manner other than the fact that I wasn't able to bring it back into the upright position with one of my foot on the road and the bike positioned on the pavement as it was 5 inches higher than the road level.

I feel I am being falsely accused as the sales staff and the security guard were witness to this incident and also, the bike was checked by the security guard after the test ride and also soon after he helped me into the upright position.

I was at the showroom for atleast another 10 minutes after my test ride, however after 2 hours the showroom sales staff claims that I damaged the bike.

What must I do?
yikes6633 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:15   #2
BANNED

re: Dealer blames me for motorcycle damage after a test-ride. UPDATE: They are claiming insurance (pg 4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by yikes6633 View Post
What must I do?
Ask them to furnish CCTV footage of you damaging the motorcycle or you taking and returning the motorcycle to the showroom to show proof of damage.

Unless proven without a doubt you cannot be held liable. Even if proven that you're liable then you needn't pay a penny TD Vehicles are insured for the same reason, if they've not insured it then they are at fault, not you.

Regards,
A.P.
ashwinprakas is offline   (80) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:23   #3
BHPian

re: Dealer blames me for motorcycle damage after a test-ride. UPDATE: They are claiming insurance (pg 4)

The ship for the showroom sailed when they did not reach out to you when you were in showroom. If they can provide a CCTV footage of you damaging the bike, sit & talk to them to resolve it amicably and if they can't and you know you did not do it, politely decline to entertain.
Engine_Roars is offline   (16) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:28   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

yikes6633, which is the dealership here? I have a feeling that one of the people who had test ridden the bike might have dropped it on the same day (presumably after your test ride) and the staff would not have realized it while collecting the bike.

When the showroom staff eventually found the dent, they must have either
1. Started calling all those who took test rides during the day and / or
2. Asked the security guard if he noticed anything and then he would have recollected your incident (which wasnt a fall).

My suggestion is to not worry about it at all. Just tell them that it was perfectly fine when you handed it back to them, they have a process of checking the bikes after each test ride. If they persist, drop a mail to the RE customer care and reach out to the zonal sales head (you will find details in the showroom) over the phone and explain the situation. It appears that an enthusiastic sales guy is being a little too smart here.

Dont let it mar your pre purchase experience.
neil.jericho is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:29   #5
Senior - BHPian

Test drive vehicles are bound to get damaged, no second thoughts about it & dealer should cover it. That's why the test ride vehicles are in first place. If it's a legal issue (like you knock down someone or riding without license) then you're responsible for it

Is the test ride vehicle registered one or had TMP registration? If it's registered then it MUST have valid insurance through which the dealer should be able to claim damages.

It's either you or the salesman or the dealer, someone has to burn the pocket on the vehicle damages; most of the cases it's the dealer & the salesman sometimes taking a cut in his commission.

If you're sure that you did not cause the dent, then the dealer or nearby building should have a CCTV through which you can claim your innocence.

Last edited by aargee : 23rd December 2020 at 12:30.
aargee is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:38   #6
BHPian

Ask them to prove it. Until they do its just their word against yours. Also do tell us which showroom this was. I have taken test rides at the Rajajinagar showroom and document details were exchanged. By this I mean that I gave them a copy of my licence only after they gave me a copy of the test ride bike's insurance details. I probably came across as a troublesome customer but to give them credit they did provide the details and were very professional and polite.

Last edited by Roy.S : 23rd December 2020 at 12:39. Reason: Typo
Roy.S is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 12:57   #7
BHPian

This was at CVS Motors on Bellary road (near Cauvery Theater). I am actually worried that the showroom staff will hound me to pay a huge sum for the damage
(dent on petrol tank) caused by someone else.

I am unable to get any CCTV footage from a nearby building/office, however have requested the showroom staff to look up their CCTV footage.

I have also written an email to "support@royalenfield.com" explaining the entire bad experience and it not being right on the Dealership calling me two hours after I left the showroom.

As I have never been through this situation nor having read about similar experiences of other fellow riders about similar situations, I am quite stressed about this whole thing.
yikes6633 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:00   #8
Senior - BHPian

Don't do anything. Tell them to do whatever they want to do. Any police case will require hard evidence like a CCTV footage showing damage.

Moreover Test Ride Bike/Any Bike on the road is supposed to be registered and insured as per the MV act. If they claim that you were riding an Unregistered bike they will fall into a trap and their Trade License can be suspended by RTO.

In case their Test Ride bike is indeed registered and insured tell them to claim insurance and not trouble you. You are not liable for any damage unless inflicted purposely or intentionally.
Don't worry. Some oversmart sales guy is trying to make a fool out of you! Don't heed to any of their points and give them a good piece of your mind.

Oh and keep in mind the kind of attitude these guys are showing you. This will be similar in case you purchase a bike.

And if they "Hound" you, file a complaint with the local police station for harassment.

Last edited by navpreet318 : 23rd December 2020 at 14:04.
navpreet318 is offline   (36) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:09   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am unable to get any CCTV footage from a nearby building/office, however have requested the showroom staff to look up their CCTV footage
Did you ask them what is that they need? What're they looking for? I'm sure it's the money they're after. Did you ask how much money they want to milk from you?

Here's the last option...

On a Rs 20 non judiciary stamp paper print out stating that on so & so date & time, you've appeared at the showroom for TDing the vehicle, no such clauses were being told that you're liable for damages, and while TDing the vehicle you've accidentally attempted dropping the vehicle but to your best of knowledge you have saved from physical damages. After couple of hours you got a call from dealer asking to pay Rs xx for damages for which the dealer has not shown any evidence in form of CCTV footage. But to settle things amicably & to prevent you from being pursued further, you're making this document as evidence as a settlement & paying the dealer so & so amount by cheque number from so & so bank dated

Undersign both parties one of them being the showroom manager

My gut feeling says you're going to waste Rs 30 to 50 on this printed paper that no one is going to sign.

Ofcourse you can walk to police, which I'm sure is going to side with the dealer & bring in more troubles. If you take this paper, worst case, they're going to give you another paper for signing which you can bring home/come here to discuss further.

I think the dealership is relatively new isn't it? I think they're facing this type of issues for first time & not sure how to handle that's all

Last edited by aargee : 23rd December 2020 at 14:14.
aargee is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:25   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
Test drive vehicles are bound to get damaged, no second thoughts about it & dealer should cover it. That's why the test ride vehicles are in first place. If it's a legal issue (like you knock down someone or riding without license) then you're responsible for it

Is the test ride vehicle registered one or had TMP registration? If it's registered then it MUST have valid insurance through which the dealer should be able to claim damages.
Hope it was indeed a TD bike and not a customer's bike awaiting delivery.

Whenever I test ride a bike I tell one of the showroom guys to sit on the pillion. And never accept a test ride if it was not a TD bike.
Gansan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

It is the responsibility of the sales person to take out the bike from non- uniform parking area and handover the bike on a flat road to go for test drive.

Also person has to accompany the driver (you) while you are test driving. If these two process are not followed, it is simply their fault.

They cannot claim that you have damaged the bike without evidence.
gkveda is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 14:54   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
What must I do?
Ask them to Go for a hike! (cant use the exact words for the feeling this thread evoked)

Ask them for CC TV footage and also ask them if the bike wasnt insured?

This is a cheap dealership. Stay firm and dont budge.
2000rpm is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:25   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Hope it was indeed a TD bike and not a customer's bike awaiting delivery
Yes, this possibility cannot be discarded sir; even if so, we've to move forward to see how to get out of the situation with least hassles. If it's customer's bike, then the dealership had it! The solution will be much simpler, just involve the owner of the bike as well to give a free (negative) publicity to the dealership
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:46   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I am unable to get any CCTV footage from a nearby building/office, however have requested the showroom staff to look up their CCTV footage.
You don't have to get any CCTV footage.
Its not your problem.

They are accusing you. They need to prove it.

Even if they prove it so what, its a Test Drive vehicle. Its insured. The insurance is supposed to pay for it.
They have a workshop. The cost to repair it is nothing for them.

I am surprised they actually contacted you for this.

Show them this thread as well and make it clear that you will not entertain any more discussion on this topic.
bblost is offline   (31) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2020, 15:50   #15
Senior - BHPian

TD Bikes are never in pristine shape. Since the showroom has a garage attached they do periodic maintenance. But i have heard cases where The TD bike met with an accident and the rider had to pay. Wonder if these bikes are ever insured? At the Honda showroom, you cant even touch the big n expensive bikes. If you insist on a TD you have give an underwriting that you will cover all damage. Check the CCTV footage if it comes to that.
Sebring is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks