Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2024, 23:51   #856
BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled

The stiff rear suspension of the Super Meteor is a well known fact. However, I have read that setting the pre load by 1/2 steps makes it more compliant. It might sound counter intuitive , but it seems to work as per a lot of YouTube reviews of Super Meteor in the western market.

So I would urge SM owners to try doing this before thinking of an aftermarket suspension. Would help other prospective buyers as well!
Waspune is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th February 2024, 15:25   #857
BHPian

Any idea what would be a good price to buy a second hand SM650? The bike is tentatively 1 year old. I do not have any more details about it yet.
Old 12th March 2024, 00:10   #858
BHPian

Recently completed my longest road trip till date on the Super Meteor! A 14 day trip to Goa and back from Delhi. Took the Delhi-Kota-Indore-Nashik-Kohlapur-Goa route while going towards Goa, with overnight stops in each of the mentioned cities. Being the first long road trip on the bike, didn't want to stretch much so took slightly longer than one would take to cover this.

The roads were great for most part, with the sore point being the ongoing construction on NH48 from Pune to Kohlapur.

The journey back home was faster, as I took the Goa-Mumbai-Udaipur-Delhi route. Took NH66 from Goa to Mumbai, and while the road is serene for the first 400kms, the last 150-200 kms are an absolute mess with non-existent roads! However, it’ll be a hoot to drive on once this is complete. Rest of the journey from Mumbai to Delhi via Surat and Udaipur was a breeze with great roads throughout.

Coming to the bike, oh boy! It’s a gem to ride on well made highways! Even with a pillion, and roughly 25KGs of luggage, the bike never felt as if its running out of breath. Was able to easily cruise between 100-130 wherever the roads allowed. The engine never felt stressed, and even while doing triple digit speeds, the bike had more than enough punch for the occasional overtakes! The ride felt planted at all times.

Being the celestial variant, we had the touring seat on the bike. While I got used to the stock cushioning through the ride, the missus started feeling the need for an air seat post riding for 5-6 hours in a day! Will probably get one from Grand Pitstop before our next ride.

The only negative point which I felt during the trip - the suspension! While it has been spoken about at length across multiple forums, there’s no denying that it’s stiff and makes you uneasy in case the bad patch of the road extends beyond 30kms or so. However, it’s something you learn to live with. Honestly, it’s easy to do so, as the bike ticks all the right boxes apart from this.

Finally, Sharing some images from the trip!

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9128.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9221.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9240.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9318.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9495.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9497.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_9508.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_0042.jpeg

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-img_0043.jpeg
Abh1nav is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 15th March 2024, 12:28   #859
BHPian

As an owner of the SM650 myself, I am happy to read this report and look forward to my first long ride on the bike. Your bike looks beautiful. My wife often complains about the pillion seat and experiences pain within an hour of travel. Any suggestions on how to improve stock pillion cushion? My model is the Astral Black without touring seat. Touring seat is sold with the back rest but when I was shopping at RE for accessories, they only sold me the backrest as they did not have stock of seats. Now they claim that touring seat and backrest are sold together. Feel a bit shortchanged.
hawrie is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 21:55   #860

Looking for Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc

Hello BHPians, currently I own a Mahindra Mojo (modified for my touring) and I am extremely satisfied with the machine having clocked more than 70k. I use it only for touring purposes. Now I am looking for a new bike and after hopping into the market I feel Super Meteor 650 is the one I am looking for. However, the only concern that I see in most of the reviews is the rear suspension. Also in the market, there are no alternatives. I have seen some suspensions from YSS but those are of exorbitant prices.

I need expert advice on whether should I go for it or any other options.

Last edited by Turbanator : 22nd March 2024 at 22:44. Reason: Proofread before posting, Grammar, i - I
Old 25th March 2024, 17:37   #861
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc15523 View Post
I use it only for touring purposes. Now I am looking for a new bike and after hopping into the market I feel Super Meteor 650 is the one I am looking for. However, the only concern that I see in most of the reviews is the rear suspension. Also in the market, there are no alternatives. I have seen some suspensions from YSS but those are of exorbitant prices.
I am an owner of SM650 with touring seat and stock setup. While rear stiff suspension has been called out as an concern by many owners (including me initially), with touring seat and adjusting rear suspension settings (I moved mine up to 2 notches from 1 to 3), it is not an issue anymore. I regularly ride with pillion and apart from very bad roads, have heard no complaints from my better half.

I would not suggest any upgrade without sufficient due diligence - it may mar the ride quality and bike dynamics. It is a fun to ride bike on decent roads!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
roughly 25KGs of luggage
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your beautiful journey with the group!

Can you share the luggage setup details? Images say saddle bags are from Viaterra - if you can share exact make and model, would be extremely grateful.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 25th March 2024 at 18:12. Reason: Merging back-to-back posts.
Prashant_BHP is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 19:11   #862

Thank You Prashant. I have booked the Astral Black along with touring seat and backrest. Once my bike gets delivered, I will change the settings of the shock absorbers. I have heard that RE ships the bike with the shock absorbers at softest settings.
sc15523 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 21:10   #863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawrie View Post
Any suggestions on how to improve stock pillion cushion?.
While I don’t have any first hand experience on this, there are ample of videos on Youtube where people have got extra cushioning added for their stock seats (not specific to SM650, but across a lot of bikes). Maybe take a look and see if that helps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prashant_BHP View Post
Congratulations and thanks for sharing your beautiful journey with the group!

Can you share the luggage setup details? Images say saddle bags are from Viaterra - if you can share exact make and model, would be extremely grateful.
Thanks! So I have the Viaterra Leh saddle bags mounted on Zana saddle stays. The top rack again is from Zana, on which I’ve mounted the Viaterra Dry Bag 40L.
Abh1nav is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 17:21   #864

Hey everyone! It's great to see everyone sharing their awesome journeys with the Super Meteor 650. I got my own SM650 astral black last month and it's an absolute blast to ride.
I've got a quick question about a code '10601' that pops up on my SM650 when the ignition is turned on. Saw online and the code is same in all SM650s. I would appreciate it if someone could provide an explanation of its significance.
Safe riding everyone..
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-sm650.jpg  

Royal Enfield Super Meteor 650cc, now unveiled-10601.jpg  

raghavrbhardwaj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 11:21   #865
Senior - BHPian

Has anyone thought about installing the Mid mounted foot controls of the Shotgun 650 onto the Super Meteor 650??

Should be better than the forwarded mounted controls it has now and make it easier to maneuver it in the city.
Anyone?
navpreet318 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2024, 13:18   #866
BHPian

RE tech on Reddit stated that the code signifies the software version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by raghavrbhardwaj View Post
. Saw online and the code is same in all SM650s. I would appreciate it if someone could provide an explanation of its significance.
Safe riding everyone..
setuniket is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks