Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 2nd April 2023, 08:30   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post

I was thinking about the FuelX as well, but now I'd just like to see and observe how she behaves over the next few rides before I do any more changes.
What are fuel efficiency figures that you get on the highways and city?
I guess the high figures I get on the highways are because of the lean tune on the BS6 bikes. 30-32 kmpl.

I was thinking that the pump would have failed probably because of less fuel being pumped. I am planning to visit Powertronics soon and see what they have to say and will update here.

Last edited by tharian : 2nd April 2023 at 08:32.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 13:42   #62
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
What are fuel efficiency figures that you get on the highways and city?
I guess the high figures I get on the highways are because of the lean tune on the BS6 bikes. 30-32 kmpl.

I was thinking that the pump would have failed probably because of less fuel being pumped. I am planning to visit Powertronics soon and see what they have to say and will update here.
30-32 kmpl is incredible!

I don't really use it in city traffic as I am WFH and the bike is usually out during early morning/late nights when there is no traffic. I am a little aggressive on the highways, and I get around 23-25 kmpl on those long rides. I have a K&N filter installed along with Powerage short exhausts.

Interesting enough, my issues started right after I installed the K&N filter.
Makes me wonder if that could be the trigger for the fuel pump's failure.
Curious to hear what the folks at Powertronics say.
MadTitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 13:53   #63
BHPian

I visited the RE company showroom for interceptor 650 and himalayan test ride and to see the j-series refinement - they don't have test ride vehicle available right now (inty, himmy or the classic) and have to wait for 2-3 weeks to get that (did they confuse with delivery time ... joking). Another showroom in indiranagar is not giving test rides till the roads are repaired outside (well Himalayan is made for such road isn't it).

So I sat around the stationary bikes and moved the interceptor around. Didn't feel too much heavy compared to my current bike but I would understand more if I do test ride.

Meanwhile sometime this or next week I will try out the KTM 390 Adv test ride. Alloy interceptors are 4.01 L otr bangalore. himalayan around 2.8 L otr.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd April 2023, 16:47   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadTitan View Post

Interesting enough, my issues started right after I installed the K&N filter.
Makes me wonder if that could be the trigger for the fuel pump's failure.
Curious to hear what the folks at Powertronics say.
Mine happened around 2000 kms after I swapped to the W2S filter. These filters will cause the engine to run even lean, so ideally the ECU compensates by pumping more fuel. Either ways, the pump should not fail because it is pumping more or less fuel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by masterChief007 View Post

So I sat around the stationary bikes and moved the interceptor around. Didn't feel too much heavy compared to my current bike but I would understand more if I do test ride.

Meanwhile sometime this or next week I will try out the KTM 390 Adv test ride. Alloy interceptors are 4.01 L otr bangalore. himalayan around 2.8 L otr.
You can visit the company showroom at BTM and they should have these bikes for test rides. Another way is to rent these bikes and you will have a better feel as you spend more time with them.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2023, 09:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
You can visit the company showroom at BTM and they should have these bikes for test rides. Another way is to rent these bikes and you will have a better feel as you spend more time with them.
Ok will try BTM showroom too, however this weekend I will be taking my aspire out which has been given a stepdad treatment since the bike was restored . Rameswaram Kanyakumari travelogue might be uploaded soon

Renting it out is also what I have planned (Phase 2 of testing !) I have that plan to ride to horseley hills will be my test ride for the final short-listers via rentals from Royal Brothers.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2023, 14:28   #66
Senior - BHPian

Onboarded the FuelX Pro.

Hopefully my last mod for bike. I decided on the FuelX Lite after reading about both the Pro and Lite versions. I picked it up online and fixed an appointment with RaceDynamics to get it fitted at their location. Once I was there, they tried up-selling the Pro version which I knew they would since my bike had both an after market exhaust as well as air filter and from the reviews I had watched, the Pro version was worth it when it came to intake/exhaust mods and the Lite version for stock bikes. I didn't want to go for the Pro version also because of the hassle of having to try different settings when riding and deciding on one or changing it always regardless of external conditions. The Lite version had just one setting which is calibrated as number 6, the stock setting being 3, and the FuelX would adapt to the riding style and other parameters for optimum efficiency in that setting.
With the exhaust and air filter being after market, the 6th settings maybe just right, but with the Pro version, I had the option to try different mixtures or even go back to the stock setting at #3.
The differences between each settings are only marginal in terms of the actual mixture going in, but the difference on a engine that runs quite lean in stock, the results are quite noticeable. After fitting the device, I had around 12 kms to ride during mid-day in traffic to gauge the effectiveness. It was the same traffic and outside heat when I was riding there and I could feel the heat on my thighs towards the end, which otherwise doesn't happen since I don't use the bike much during peak hours. On the return, apart from feeling the heat only when I place my palm near the engine fins, there was no heat felt otherwise. I started off at the 6th setting since anything between 4-7 is good enough for city riding as per them. I rode on 6th and could feel the difference in the way the engine was eager unlike feeling that something was empty when it was iin stock condition. The exhaust note had mellowed down as well, I was expecting it to get louder. The de-acceleration engine braking had reduced a lot since on my bike it was quite a bit.
I moved to the 7th setting after few kms and that is when I could feel an obvious difference. The engine and gear shifts got much smoother, I was able to shift up quite rapidly on empty stretches without having to let the revs climb, I was able to crawl without having to half clutch and open the throttle without any protest or jerks and get over speed breakers without having to slip the clutch. The downside I felt with the 7th setting and probably the higher ones was a feeling of over fueling when cutting off the throttle. It happened when I up shifted rapidly where the revs didn't drop as quickly as in stock and once when I was crawling in traffic, the bike tends to lunge forward a bit with no accelerator input. It is probably matter of time I get used to it and it is also too early to give a full review since I rode very less and haven't tried multiple maps.
Fuel efficiency I am guessing will be the same or drop just a bit since it depends on how my right hand works the throttle. I have hardly gone full throttle or opened up more than 50% since I had this bike and that will reduce even more now with this device.
It took a while for the fitting which I am glad I didn't try myself since I didn't have the time or patience. I will update on how the bike feels as I put in more miles.
Bike has run 6900 kms.

The switch on the handlebar used to change the mixture settings from 1-10. It blinks the number of times as per the level selected. As per RaceDynamics, they are going to come out with a digital readout device in their next version.
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_2649.jpg  

Last edited by tharian : 12th April 2023 at 14:47.
tharian is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 12:22   #67
BHPian

Quote:
Onboarded the FuelX Pro.

Hopefully my last mod for bike. I decided on the FuelX Lite after reading about both the Pro and Lite versions. I picked it up online and fixed an appointment with RaceDynamics to get it fitted at their location.

Once I was there, they tried up-selling the Pro version which I knew they would since my bike had both an after market exhaust as well as air filter and from the reviews I had watched, the Pro version was worth it when it came to intake/exhaust mods and the Lite version for stock bikes.
Last but one update!

No suspension mods in the plan?

Few questions:
- Do you have/need better spark plugs?
- Any idea of the long term benefits on the engine? Valve adjustments, throttle body cleaning intervals?

After your mileage tests are done do share the results.

This product, as per reviews has killed the booster plug product world wide!

Happy revvin'
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 12:51   #68
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
Last but one update!

No suspension mods in the plan?

Few questions:
- Do you have/need better spark plugs?
- Any idea of the long term benefits on the engine? Valve adjustments, throttle body cleaning intervals?

This product, as per reviews has killed the booster plug product world wide!

Happy revvin'
surjaonwheelz
It is a bottomless pit when it comes to the amount of mods that can be done on this bike and I will end up on the streets with my bike.
I am okay with the suspension for now and probably will look at an upgrade when the life of these stock springs come to and end.

As for upgrading spark plugs to go with FuelX, I don't think there is a requirement for it. A better spark will help for sure, but the stock one should do the job.
I am planning to run the FuelX at 6 or 7 and on the highways, I will go back to stock setting at 3 since the throttle is open just a bit for long durations.
I will observe and post the long term effects of this device down the line after doing some trips. Honestly, I don't think it will have any negative effects as from what I understood, the actual difference in the mixture is not huge between each setting. It is the end result what is felt while riding, is what is different between 4-6 and 7-9 mainly. Also, the BS6 engine is quite strangled when it comes to the mixture with it being very lean and I know that because my fuel efficiency on highways even with the performance filter and slip on exhausts was 30-32 kmpl which from what I understood was exceptional. So adding this device to richen the mixture , I think will work fine. Pistons crossed.

Last edited by tharian : 13th April 2023 at 12:54.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 16:40   #69
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Onboarded the FuelX Pro.
Fanastic update, tharian! I am waiting for my FuelX Pro to arrive. It is one of the key components in my GT build (on-going at snail pace) as I also plan to do the exhaust and air intake mods.

If you can, please have a look at your plugs and see if 6 is too rich? From your feedback, it probably is not. I think it will be a good starting point for me, as I will be doing my run-in as well along with the mods, and definitely don't want to risk running the engine too lean.

The only thing I don't like about the FuelX Pro is the huge switch on the handle-bar. Do you know if it's necessary to keep the switch connected? Or can we remove the switch after setting it to a particular A:F ratio and the ratio will remain?
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:00   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post
Fanastic update, tharian! I am waiting for my FuelX Pro to arrive. It is one of the key components in my GT build (on-going at snail pace) as I also plan to do the exhaust and air intake mods.

If you can, please have a look at your plugs and see if 6 is too rich? From your feedback, it probably is not. I think it will be a good starting point for me, as I will be doing my run-in as well along with the mods, and definitely don't want to risk running the engine too lean.

The only thing I don't like about the FuelX Pro is the huge switch on the handle-bar. Do you know if it's necessary to keep the switch connected? Or can we remove the switch after setting it to a particular A:F ratio and the ratio will remain?
Did you get your bike? Do start an ownership thread although there are few already.

I will check the plugs although I did check about it and the fuel mixtures are quite marginal in the air-fuel mixture scale, unless I think if you end up riding in the 10th setting always.

Regarding the switch, I am not too sure if it will retain the setting without the actual switch. Maybe you can send a query to RD about it.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:04   #71
Senior - BHPian

Yes, I did get my bike nearly 2 months ago and started a thread as well. But it's still in the Assembly Line as I am not getting time to finish the mods that I have planned for it. I hope to be done with it and have the thread moved out in another month or so. Fingers crossed.

For the FuelX switch, I have sent a query to RD. Will post the answer here as well once they respond. Cheers!
Viju is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th April 2023, 18:56   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viju View Post

For the FuelX switch, I have sent a query to RD. Will post the answer here as well once they respond. Cheers!
Maybe you can find another location to place it although the switch base fits only on a handlebar.
The reason for that is because the Pro version's advantage is mainly the switch when compared to the Lite. Here you can fiddle with the settings according to the conditions you ride in.
For example, on a highway ride were you can keep a steady speed, you can leave it a 4 or 5 and in city where there is traffic, you can increase the richness.
I am not aware of the traffic and external conditions where you are, but you get the idea.
Just my thought on this.

Last edited by tharian : 13th April 2023 at 18:58.
Old 14th April 2023, 10:20   #73
Senior - BHPian

Did a short 40 kms ride within the city early this morning to get more of a feel of the FuelX Pro since I am not in town this weekend and have to wait another week if I want to do a ride.
Traffic was average, however the summer heat had already started gradually by 7am. I was shuffling between the 6th and 8th settings while riding and the DB killer which creates back pressure was also back in the muffler. When I had got the device fixed, I had the open DB killer which seemed to be what works well with the FuelX since the bike felt smoother with that, especially in higher rpms.
Coming back to the ride, I felt 7-8 were good when it came to riding in the city as it felt the torque that I have now is what a twin should have had from the factory to start off with, atleast the BS6 bikes. In 5th and 6th, when doing around 40-45kmph, open the throttle and you are already at 70-80 kmph in no time with no gearshifts. You hardly need to go down to lower gears unless in a traffic signal or a jam. The higher gears are more than enough to cut through traffic. Earlier, that used to be 2-4th gears.

Came back home and parked the bike and kept my palm close to the engine and the heat was negligible. The way the bike picked up speed is different now and more enjoyable. If you riding hurriedly or relaxed, it feels the bike will pull way better now.
With the after market exhaust and air filter, there is a nice mellow thrum as well.

Last edited by tharian : 14th April 2023 at 10:23.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st May 2023, 20:25   #74
Senior - BHPian

Did a quick ride to Mysore and back this morning with a friend to go pick up a used Classic 350 for him. This was the perfect chance to test how good the FuelX was.
The weather was cool since it rained the whole night and being a holiday, traffic was low as well.
I started with the 7th setting and moved to the 5th setting once I hit the expressway. With a pillion, the engine was hardly working a sweat in the top gears. Not having to down a gear too many times on the highway and I was doing a consistent 100 kmph most of the time. Even in sixth gear which earlier used to be useful if speeds were around 80kmph or higher, now at lower speeds, all that needs to be done is open the throttle and the revs climb quickly. In the city, I figured that the 7th setting seems to be the perfect one in terms of smoothness and rideability. On the return especially, once I hit city roads, I could feel the engine had become super smooth.
Topped up at Mysore after riding for around 160 kms and the fuel efficiency was a good 29 kmpl. This was with a pillion and with the revs at 4k rpm most of the time.
The return was at lower speeds which would have definitely increased those figures.

Bike has run 7300 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_2883.jpeg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-bd9a52a12d574be8a4b39e1f77b406f1.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 1st May 2023 at 20:28.
tharian is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 10:36   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post

The fuel efficiency remains the same as stock. I got 31 kmpl over the last 250 kms which was mostly highways and speeds of around 100 kmph.
I need to check the city cycle although I think it will be the same with +/- 1-2 kmpl.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks