Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th May 2023, 14:21   #76
Senior - BHPian

Re: My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
I got 31 kmpl over the last 250 kms which was mostly highways and speeds of around 100 kmph.
I need to check the city cycle although I think it will be the same with +/- 1-2 kmpl.
Mine varies super erratic; city rides are as low as 22-24 Kmpl & recently got 29.2 Kmpl on Chennai - Hyderabad
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 17:25   #77
Senior - BHPian

I have not calculated very accurately. But somehow I feel even on highways all that I get is about 25-16 kmpl, while it should be about 22 in the city. Wonder why I am unable to improve this - despite 90-100 being my cruising speeds on highways.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2023, 18:17   #78
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
I have not calculated very accurately. But somehow I feel even on highways all that I get is about 25-16 kmpl, while it should be about 22 in the city. Wonder why I am unable to improve this - despite 90-100 being my cruising speeds on highways.
I think the BS6 bikes are more fuel efficient probably because of the lean tune due to emission norms.
tharian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 09:50   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I think the BS6 bikes are more fuel efficient probably because of the lean tune due to emission norms.
They are a lot more refined too. The engine sounded mellow and refined, when compared to my 2019 Interceptor. Not that my Interceptor is rough or vibey, but the newer ones are definitely even better.
aravind.anand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2023, 13:43   #80
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Mine is a 2023 Jan interceptor. I have ridden 4800 kns in almost 4 months. Very little of my riding is in the city. It is almost 95% on the highway. I don't ride very slow and usually am at 90-100 kmph most of the time. I fill up for Rs. 1000 every time and use only XP 95 and once Power 95.I meticulously maintain my fuel log and i get an average of 26.75 kmpl.
rajeevsulu is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 26th June 2023, 10:43   #81
Senior - BHPian

There were couple of rides done last month before the rains started. One was to Srirangapatna via Kunigal and back on the Mysore expressway. This was a quick ride of around 300 kms. The ride up to Belur cross on the Hassan highway was not that enjoyable because of the weekend traffic on a Saturday morning. Reminded me of the old Mysore highway. The road from Belur cross to Srirangapatna was a nice single lane well paved road which was the only part of the ride I enjoyed and the return on the Mysore expressway was a fast one which resulted in the fuel efficiency dipping to 26 kmpl. I realized with the windblast and the wind roar inside my helmet, it gets very tiring to ride at speeds above 100 kmh. I am using 3M ear buds now which makes the ride much better.

The second ride was to Yelagiri hills which I had done few times, back in the 2000's on my Bullet. I had been thinking of revisiting this place as I remember it was a peaceful climb with not much traffic either.
I had a CB350 for company this time which was entertaining with its sweet sounding exhaust. The traffic on the Krishnagiri highway was not bad although it was a Saturday morning and after a quick breakfast halt at Shoolagiri, were at Yelagiri top. I guess being a Saturday, there were plenty of other bikers who were behind us who we crossed on the way down. Back in the day, it was just the locals on their 100cc or TVS bikes we crossed.
This was the first hill climb I did after the Fuel X was fitted and it worked well on the climb with minimal acceleration because of the good amount of torque. The hairpins were taken in second gear with no slipping clutch or any other dramas. On some short straight stretches on the middle of the climb, I was already in 5th gear. So that worked well and it showed in the overall fuel efficiency of 30.5 kmpl. The CB could do a comfortable 100 on the plains with me, but on the climb , it lost pace mainly because of the gearing. But that is one bike I would have gone for if not for the Interceptor. It fits my expectation perfectly.

The return was via some inner roads through Kuppam-KGF-Bangarpet-Malur and joining the Old Madras highway at Hoskote. These roads were in good condition and perfect for riding with low traffic as well. The weather was perfect too this time. Had a good ride of 350 kms overall and the bike performed perfectly well. Bike has run 8400 kms.

The ride on my Bullet Electra back in 2006 to the same location. The combination of the motorcycle make were the same as the ride this weekend. A Honda and a Royal Enfield. This was fellow member SandeepMohan's Honda Unicorn and my Bullet Electra.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-5c7bcd70a6714cd5964aaa7bdf94b4b9.jpeg

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-fd39140a37be46c893228d792931a0b2.jpeg

And present day.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3241.jpeg
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3242.jpeg
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3240.jpeg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-ed45908e037841249a19bd56b59fc414.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 26th June 2023 at 11:04.
tharian is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 18:40   #82
Senior - BHPian

Finally got the new touring seat for the Interceptor that has a wider base and a slightly scooped front.
For some reason that only RE knows, this seat is hard to get and has to be ordered and then wait for a month or more to get it. I got it through the brand showroom at BTM and had ordered it through them more than a month back.

The cushioning is less on this like the stock seat from the looks of it. Sitting on it feels similar to the stock seat for now and I can tell for sure if its better after a ride.I can add extra cushion later if needed since the base is wide which should make it better.
I rode in heavy traffic for an hour after fitting the seat and it will take few more rides for me to assess this seat fully. My wife says it is better than the stock seat for the pillion. The other touring seat I had was not all that great for the pillion because of less area. Now with this seat, the back rest can be used comfortably as well which earlier was a bit far off for the pillion to rest on.
I felt this seat suits the bike better than the stock one or the previous touring seat as well since its wide and goes with the bulky look of the bike.

Bike has run 9050 kms.
Attached Thumbnails
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3871.jpeg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3870.jpeg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3867.jpeg  

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_3866.jpeg  

Last edited by tharian : 18th August 2023 at 18:56.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th August 2023, 19:08   #83
BHPian

I notice discoloration near the catyltic converter in your pipes just next to the oil window. Have you removed the cats from behind by any chance? This is the first time I am seeing the discoloration.

Another reason for my interest is because I was also told that removing the cat from the pipes frees the bike quite a bit. Hence my query.

Regards
Manoj
Old 18th August 2023, 19:41   #84
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post
I notice discoloration near the catyltic converter in your pipes just next to the oil window. Have you removed the cats from behind by any chance? This is the first time I am seeing the discoloration.

Another reason for my interest is because I was also told that removing the cat from the pipes frees the bike quite a bit. Hence my query.

Regards
Manoj
The discoloration happened due to dripping of some type of dilluted polish the car wash used after they had sprayed the bike with it. I had left the bike in idle after the wash on side stand and this happened.

The cat-cons are not removed since I didn't feel the need to do so. It will definitely free up the engine, but for normal riding or long trips, a slip on muffler does the job.
Removing it will mess up the pipes in terms of cutting and welding. instead, Powerage I think has after market pipes.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:58   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the new touring seat for the Interceptor that has a wider base and a slightly scooped front.
For some reason that only RE knows, this seat is hard to get and has to be ordered and then wait for a month or more to get it. I got it through the brand showroom at BTM and had ordered it through them more than a month back.

The cushioning is less on this like the stock seat from the looks of it. Sitting on it feels similar to the stock seat for now and I can tell for sure if its better after a ride.I can add extra cushion later if needed since the base is wide which should make it better.
I rode in heavy traffic for an hour after fitting the seat and it will take few more rides for me to assess this seat fully. My wife says it is better than the stock seat for the pillion. The other touring seat I had was not all that great for the pillion because of less area. Now with this seat, the back rest can be used comfortably as well which earlier was a bit far off for the pillion to rest on.
I felt this seat suits the bike better than the stock one or the previous touring seat as well since its wide and goes with the bulky look of the bike.

Bike has run 9050 kms.
Off late I have been using the touring seat on my Interceptor, which is way better than the stock seat, but the one that I have on my motorcycle looks very much similar to the stock seat.
Would like to know which are the exhausts that you have on your Motorcycle?? Looks akin to tue one on the Bonneville T100.
Old 5th September 2023, 18:39   #86
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypsian View Post
Off late I have been using the touring seat on my Interceptor, which is way better than the stock seat, but the one that I have on my motorcycle looks very much similar to the stock seat.
Would like to know which are the exhausts that you have on your Motorcycle?? Looks akin to tue one on the Bonneville T100.
These are AEW TE201. They have different models which you can check on their website.

My experience with the stock seat was that it was better than the premium touring seat that I had picked up during delivery of the bike. The issue was that I used to keep sliding back and forth which gets painful during a long trip. The stock seat was flat and didn't have that issue much.
I'll get to know how good this new seat is during a long ride this weekend.
tharian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 11:48   #87
Senior - BHPian

Kolli Hiils V.3

This ride was planned just few weeks ago and it was one of the options for a ride since I had done it twice before. I wanted to do the climb on my Interceptor this time and was wanting a long ride too since it had been a while. So, finally decided to do it last Saturday with couple of friends joining in.

The first ride I did to Kolli Hills or Kolli Mallai was in 2011 on my 96' Bullet 500. I had taken off from Bangalore early morning doing a solo ride to Rameshwaram. Nearing Salem, I realized my the engine was overheating and loosing power. This was a known issue on this bike and I lost confidence to ride 600 kms to Rameshwaram and another 600 back the next day. After crossing Salem and still deciding on what to do, I cut off to Kolli Hills and did the climb and returned to Bangalore the same day. Thankfully, the bike didn't give up although the engine oil was boiling when I reached the top.
The second ride was in 2017 on my Bullet Electra and it was the longest one day ride till date on that bike. It performed beautifully although it had run well over a lakh kms.

I was itching to do it on my Interceptor just to feel that climb on a much more powerful bike. Two friends, one a Honda Highness and the other on a RE Classic 350 joined in. It was their longest day ride as well and their bike had run less than 10k kms. All the three bikes had different sweets spots with the Classic happy at 80-85 kmph, the Highness at 90-95 kmph and the Interceptor at 95-100 kmph. I was doing around 90 kmph most of the time and rode the Classic too almost half the distance. I had ridden a Classic 500 years back on the highway and that bike was all about its torque, whereas the 350 was more a leisurely bike to ride. It is happy at 80 kmph and once you cross 85 kmph, the vibes increase. Jumping on the Interceptor from the Classic felt like I was riding on a cushion of air because of the difference in vibes and harshness.
The hill climb was the highlight and reason for the ride. It takes around 270 kms to reach the foothills and another 20 kms to get on top going through the 70 hairpin bends. There were plenty of bikers this time unlike the last two times when I visited. The place has become famous among bikers for sure. The roads have been widened at some places with plenty of signboards and warnings. The first time I did it, it was just me and the monkeys with the road being narrow most of the way.
The bike performed perfectly and I had left the FuelX setting to 6 while on the plains and to 8 while climbing. This helped in taking most of the hairpin bends in second gear with no struggle. The power delivery was just perfect for a steep hill climb like this. By the time you reach on top, it is above a 1000 meters in altitude. Compared the my previous rides on the Bullets, the fun part is how I could power out of a hairpin with urgency till I had to break for the next bend. The fun part of this climb is because of the number of bends, you become one with the bike to enjoy it or it is will be an exercise to get on top.

The bike was given for service few weeks ago and although it was supposed to be the 6 months check up, a full service was done including the oil change. This was because of an incorrect entry into their system that the 4th service was reflecting as the 3rd. The oil service was done in February this year and the bike had run just 3400 kms in between. I was happy to change the oil but not the extra costs I had to pay for the service centre goof up.

I had ridden just few kms after the service and then taken the bike on this ride. After exiting the city, I could hear a constant rubber rubbing noise which was present at varying speeds. I checked the tyres but there were no rub marks. I am not sure if the tyre would make a noise like this as it wears out or if it was the chain. I didn't bother about it since the noise was not loud enough to be annoying or alarmed about, although this mooring I noticed oil marks on the floor from the rear sprocket area.
My main concern always was getting a puncture or some other breakdown, especially after the fuel pump issue. Thankfully, I came back with no issues. The other weird feeling was the front not wanting to turn smoothly. I have a feeling it is the front tyre wearing out causing the centre to wear out more than the sides. There was always a tight feeling when turning into the hairpin bends and worse was the front having a mind of its own when it tramlines. I am hoping this is because of the tyre and nothing else.
The coming down part was slow since the first half was behind a bus with no space to overtake. The second half was better with wider bends and faster turns. Being a Saturday, there were plenty of bikers and it was fun to watch them at the hairpins when we had stopped.

The overall journey took quite a bit because of numerous stops made and overall speeds being lower than my usual. Salem to Hosur is always a quick journey because of the straight roads, but traffic after that is always the pain. The LED bulb change for sure helped and I think this was the first night highway ride I did with it and it was useful.
Got back home around 9PM after leaving at 530 in the morning, compared to the ride on my Bullet Electra which was only 12 hours on a much slower bike.

The overall fuel efficieny was 32 kmpl and the bike has run 9700 kms.

Leaving early for the long 600 kms day,
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4091.jpeg

Breakfast stop on Dharmapuri bypass,
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4093.jpeg

After the 20 kms and 70 bends of an involving ride,
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4096.jpeg

Some pics from the top,
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4105.jpeg
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4106.jpeg

The bikes,
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-987dd70100b549329d7b49e266a20e97.jpeg

View of the range from the State Highway beside it,
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4110.jpeg

The last stop at Krishnagiri toll. After this, it was a night ride all the way back.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4114.jpeg

From the first time I visited this place in 2011 on my Bullet 500.
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-8e8cce4179054efd8d142ddb60c53618.jpeg

Last edited by tharian : 11th September 2023 at 12:08.
tharian is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 11th September 2023, 13:04   #88
BHPian

I too did Kolli hills once on the Std Bullet and once on the Aspire. It was not that popular that time 10-11 years ago, only 2-3 places to stay were popular. We stayed in Nalla Thambi Resort then. Then in 2017-18 tourists had started trickling in and Hotels/Guest houses were many that time. Had enjoyed more in my Bullet. Will plan to hit this ride again soon. Nice to see the Inty munching miles.
masterChief007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th September 2023, 19:20   #89
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
[b].

I had ridden just few kms after the service and then taken the bike on this ride. After exiting the city, I could hear a constant rubber rubbing noise which was present at varying speeds. I checked the tyres but there were no rub marks. I am not sure if the tyre would make a noise like this as it wears out or if it was the chain. I didn't bother about it since the noise was not loud enough to be annoying or alarmed about, although this mooring I noticed oil marks on the floor from the rear sprocket area.
My main concern always was getting a puncture or some other breakdown, especially after the fuel pump issue. Thankfully, I came back with no issues. The other weird feeling was the front not wanting to turn smoothly. I have a feeling it is the front tyre wearing out causing the centre to wear out more than the sides. There was always a tight feeling when turning into the hairpin bends and worse was the front having a mind of its own when it tramlines. I am hoping this is because of the tyre and nothing else. .
]
So this issue was because of an under inflated front tyre!
I used the bike few days after this ride and had to top up fuel and checked the tyre pressure too. The front was around 16psi which was half the required pressure. I topped up and parked it and checked the pressure today and it was flat. Pumped up using the portable inflator and was wondering what was the cause since I knew it wasn't a puncture. It had to be the valve so I used the spit method and surely a bubble formed. Took the bike immediately to the puncture shop and asked him to replace the pin/core and it stopped the leak.
So this explained the rubbing noise which I heard constantly which would have taken some life from the rubber by now. The whole ride of 600 kms was done on an under inflated tyre.

The cause I feel is that I had filled nitrogen before the ride and the pin/core was removed to remove the air from the tube fully. I am not sure if he used some other pin lying around or this was damaged somehow, but I guess I was extremely lucky during the ride that I didn't get a flat.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st October 2023, 09:31   #90
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpian View Post

Regards
Manoj

So I was mistaken and the actual reason for the discoloration was this;

This makes sense since few times after a pressure wash, one cylinder was misfiring.

The bike has crossed the 10k kms mark and is at 10050 kms. I haven't done any ride recently and and use it on weekdays few times during morning peak hours where it performs just like how I want it to. The last top up showed a fuel efficiency of 25 kmpl. That was mainly because of the city use and a flat out run on the new Satellite ring road.

My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4250.jpeg
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4248.jpeg
My midlife crisis fix : 2022 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650-img_4249.jpeg

This road is quite well made with no bumpy sections. Bikers are already doing high speed runs on it on Sunday mornings.

Last edited by tharian : 21st October 2023 at 09:36.
tharian is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks