Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 09:01   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review

Many Congratulations! Wishing you many years of safe and long ownership with this capable India specific tourer.

Cheers...
dkaile is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 11:17   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Finally, one of the most anticipated reviews in the Motorbikes section is here! Congratulations once again on your V-Strom SX 250. Like your CB350 review, this one is also going to be very useful to all potential buyers and existing owners of the VStrom 250 (as we call it on the forum). Having test ridden the VStrom 250 a few times and covered 3,000 kilometers on the older triplet brother, the SF250, I could relate to a lot of your observations.

Going through your thread, here are a few thoughts from my side and some observations from several other VStrom 250 owners who I met recently
- Many VStrom 250 owners wished that the suspension is more capable. At this price point, the suspension on the Himalayan and Scram is the clear gold standard. The Suzuki's suspension is good but it cant swallow up bad roads like the Royal Enfields can.
- The colours are all nicely executed. Yellow seems to be the most popular choice. Black is the understandably, the least. At a recent Suzuki event here, we had 93% yellow bikes, 6% orange bikes and 1% black bikes.
- I believe you meant oil cooling for the engine. Not liquid cooling.
- The official accesory availability isnt great, at least for Kerala. The low seat arrived several weeks after it was available in Bangalore. Suzuki needs to pull up its socks.
- Im surprised to hear your feedback on the mid range. The proven 250 engine has a nice linear power delivery. Let me see if any riders in the Kerala Suzuki 250 community have installed aftermarket air filters on the Gixxer / SF250. That will help provide long term feedback on the product.
- Did you replace the front brake pads at 1,600 kms? That points to something going really wrong at the PDI stage from the factory and showroom. While I am only a few months into the Suzuki ownership experience, I havent heard of anyone replacing the brake pads in such a short duration. Im guessing you paid for this out of your pocket.
- After I mentioned that the VStrom 250s front brake is spongy, a few owners did tell me that they too felt that the front brake could have been better. I asked them to bleed it and see if there is any improvement.
- The VStrom 250 is just the Gixxer 250 / SF 250 in different clothes. Had Suzuki asked their dealers to invest in a premium showroom setup for a redressed product on the existing 250 platform, the dealers would have immediately started hunting around the market to see if they could take up a Honda or Yamaha franchise instead!
- I am looking for a gloss black tip from the VStrom 250 and you are looking for the chrome tip from the SF250. The next time that I am in Bangalore, let us meet and exchange the parts!
- From what I have been told by 3 different Suzuki dealerships in Cochin and a couple of Suzuki officials, the same engine and gearbox is shared between the Gixxer 250, SF 250 and VStrom 250. The power and torque figures are exactly the same. Also, the SF250 does 150+ kmph. The highest that I have done on empty 6 lane TN highways is 120 kmph. Not that the bike couldnt do more, but I had no interest in riding faster than that. I wont be surprised if the SF250 can do a higher top speed than the VStrom 250 on account of its aerodynamics.
- I get the feeling that the tire pressures that you and your friends are running, maybe a little high. Doesnt it make the bike skittlish? I dont believe that we should blindly take manufacturer PSI recommendations. The best approach is to experiment with +/1 PSI from the same pump and go up and down the range till we find a sweet spot. Im guessing you and your friends would have done the same. Can you share your feedback on 22 / 29 vs 26 / 36 and any other settings that you tried out? It will be useful for others to learn from.
- Why was the running in period stretched to 1,600 kms? I was unable to follow that part of your post. Especially since you also mentioned that it should have been 800 kms as per the service advisor. I followed the 1,000 km service interval for the run in on my SF250. After that it was sun's out, guns out riding!
- Can you share some pictures of the phone mount with the phone on it?
- If your friends bikes also have luggage options, could you please share some pictures of them? Also the associated costs, please. Some of my friends here who picked up VStrom 250s are keen to know about all the different top box options etc. If there is one single post which covers everything, it will be mightily useful to the riding community.

Overall, the VStrom 250 is a very nicely executed variant of the overlooked and underappreciated Suzuki 250 platform. Suzuki has finally woken up with the launch of the VStrom 250 and is now trying to build its rider community primarily around this bike. The one issue that many VStrom owners complained about is the price. Everyone feels that it is around Rs 20 to Rs 25K too high. Maybe if Suzuki can upgrade the bike in 2024 with more features, while keeping the price around the same, an even larger segment of enthusiasts will head to Suzuki showrooms with their cheque books.

Like everyone else, I look forward to reading more interesting updates on this informative thread.
neil.jericho is online now   (29) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 12:36   #18
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Neil for taking the time and giving a detailed feedback. Let me try and answer them:

Q. The Suzuki's suspension is good but it cant swallow up bad roads like the Royal Enfields can
A. I agree with you there, as I myself am using my friend's Himalayan a lot

Q. I believe you meant oil cooling for the engine. Not liquid cooling?
A. Oil Cooling, yes. Sorry if I mentioned liquid cooling anywhere

Q. I'm surprised to hear your feedback on the mid range
A. Many online reviewers have pointed to this problem as well. Someone from Suzuki Delhi R&D is here and I have asked for an inspection on Sunday

Q: Did you replace the front brake pads at 1,600 kms?
A. Yes I did and the SA tells me that my front brakes are worn out but the rear is like brand new. I'm myself surprised that I'm using the front brake more, so am conscious of this now. If this happens again I'll go for a performance pad.

Q. Had Suzuki asked their dealers to invest in a premium showroom setup for a redressed product on the existing 250 platform...
A. This does look like a 'new age product' and could inject some excitement I feel. The Suzuki dealers are mostly focused on the scooters, and push that more. Even service is totally focused on scooters.

Q. I am looking for a gloss black tip from the VStrom 250 and you are looking for the chrome tip.
A. I'll be more than happy to do this exchange. But once you see my scratched up 'ender', would you want it?

Q. the same engine and gearbox is shared between the Gixxer 250, SF 250 and VStrom 250. The power and torque figures are exactly the same. Also, the SF250 does 150+ kmph.
A. What has been told to me is that they are not the same (maybe the metallurgy is different). But I buy your point

Q: I get the feeling that the tire pressures that you and your friends are running, maybe a little high. Doesnt it make the bike skittlish?
A. I'm myself surprised that the bike feels better with this psi. My friend did most of the study/variations on this, and I found this acceptable as well. Let me try few variations and I'll update

Q: Why was the running in period stretched to 1,600 kms?
A: The engine was not smooth at all till 1600 Kms. My friends were all fine at the 1000 Kms mark. I have four bikes here to try and compare so knew the difference

Q. Can you share some pictures of the phone mount with the phone on it?
A: Sure. I'll get my friend to click a pic

Q: If your friends bikes also have luggage options, could you please share some pictures of them? Also the associated costs, please.
A: My luggage box is the 42 liter Givi Antartica. Cost me Rs 12,000. My friends dont want to mount a box on their rides yet

Q: The one issue that many VStrom owners complained about is the price.
A: Agree. And also the height, as per the showroom owner

I'll keep updating this thread. Thanks once again for the encouragement.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Finally, one of the most anticipated reviews in the Motorbikes section is here! Congratulations once again on your V-Strom SX 250. Like your CB350 review, this one is also going to be very useful to all potential buyers and existing owners of the VStrom 250 (as we call it on the forum). Having test ridden the VStrom 250 a few times and covered 3,000 kilometers on the older triplet brother, the SF250, I could relate to a lot of your observations.
Sebring is offline   (21) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:11   #19
BHPian

@Sebring: Hope you have a good ownership.

There could be some truth to what you mentioned about the V getting a modified head. Suzuki did claim something about better low end response in their marketing. And as I mentioned in the other thread, when I TDed the V and the GixxerSF back to back, I found the engine response to be a bit different on both. But it could be that the SF was due some maintenance. Could also be that I was imagining things, but I don't think so.

Front brake pad wear at 1600 kms? That's very un-Suzuki-like. Check if the pads are making contact with the disc even at rest. Could be that the pistons inside the caliper were not fully pushed in while fitting the pads.

On the subject of whether this deserves to be called a V-strom or not, the other Vs (250 twin, 650, 1050) are also more road-biased and road-touring oriented bikes. There's no deviation from that with the local V. On that front atleast, it fits in with the lineup quite nicely.

How is the seat comfort for >6 hour rides?

Quote:
Everyone feels that it is around Rs 20 to Rs 25K too high. Maybe if Suzuki can upgrade the bike in 2024 with more features, while keeping the price around the same, an even larger segment of enthusiasts will head to Suzuki showrooms with their cheque books.
I thought it's a hard sell at that price too, but after a serious think, seems like it's not a bad price to pay for a Suzuki. I mean, I'd not mind paying that for a bike that promises to take abuse well.

I doubt Suzuki will change things up for atleast another 4 or 5 years though. I doubt they'll even add the option to switch off the rear ABS. If anything, they may do some cost cutting and remove some features or parts to give it at a lower price.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 19th August 2022 at 13:17.
drt_rdr is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:21   #20
Senior - BHPian

Superb review Sebring and perfect clarifications raised by Neil, covers almost everything

This one looks like a lovely second bike for the city which my wife should find nothing to complain about Appreciate if you could elaborate on pillion comfort.

Thank you.

Cheers

Last edited by Cyborg : 19th August 2022 at 13:23.
Cyborg is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:24   #21
Senior - BHPian

Thank you, I'll get the brakes checked this Sunday. Love this seat comfort the foam density, riding angle etc, and is best for long rides
Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
How is the seat comfort for >6 hour rides?
@Cyborg. The rear seat comfort is actually good. Your wife will like it, I'm sure. Have procured a soft back rest for the top box as well. This does make for a good city bike, as my friend who owns a Z900 is buying one as well

Last edited by Sebring : 19th August 2022 at 13:29.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:27   #22
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Q. I'm surprised to hear your feedback on the mid range
A. Many online reviewers have pointed to this problem as well. Someone from Suzuki Delhi R&D is here and I have asked for an inspection on Sunday
Quote:
Q: Why was the running in period stretched to 1,600 kms?
A: The engine was not smooth at all till 1600 Kms. My friends were all fine at the 1000 Kms mark. I have four bikes here to try and compare so knew the difference
Thanks for your replies, buddy. I dont know if I am reading too much into your experience and adding one plus one to get ten. However, this is most unusual. Maybe this is a partial amber flag. Do keep an eye out on the engine's smoothness in the long run. The next time I meet my friends in the local VStrom 250 community, I will ask them if they have faced this.

Quote:
Q: Did you replace the front brake pads at 1,600 kms?
A. Yes I did and the SA tells me that my front brakes are worn out but the rear is like brand new. I'm myself surprised that I'm using the front brake more, so am conscious of this now. If this happens again I'll go for a performance pad.
This is also very unusual. I ride the SF250 with a lot of engine braking. Based on your experience, I too will keep a close eye on the brake pads of my bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
I thought it's a hard sell at that price too, but after a serious think, seems like it's not a bad price to pay for a Suzuki. I mean, I'd not mind paying that for a bike that promises to take abuse well.

I doubt Suzuki will change things up for atleast another 4 or 5 years though. I doubt they'll even add the option to switch off the rear ABS. If anything, they may do some cost cutting and remove some features or parts to give it at a lower price.
For a comfortable, reliable and proven Suzuki, I too was ready to plonk down that money on the VStrom 250. However, the perception in the rider community (right or wrong, as it may be) is that for the same money, you are getting a Scram 411 or a Himalayan 411, which seem to be more VFM bikes.

Since Suzuki hasnt gone all out in equipping the VStrom 250 with a ton of features, there isnt much that they can reduce in the coming years! Thank heaven for small mercies
neil.jericho is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 13:27   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Wonderful and technically competent review. But I know the collective wish of most people devouring this thread is for the Honda CRF 300L Rally.
Red Liner is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:42   #24
BHPian

Quote:
However, the perception in the rider community (right or wrong, as it may be) is that for the same money, you are getting a Scram 411 or a Himalayan 411, which seem to be more VFM bikes.

Since Suzuki hasnt gone all out in equipping the VStrom 250 with a ton of features, there isnt much that they can reduce in the coming years! Thank heaven for small mercies
Yeah, you are getting better better specced ADVs for the money with the RE and Yezdi, but at near 200kg, for my build and riding tendencies, they're neither fun nor easy to live with.

If Suzuki made a variant that would cut out the bluetooth stuff by replacing the new instrument screen with the one from the gixxer and give it single channel ABS for 10-15k lower, I'd jump on it like no tomorrow, more so if they also brought out a blue or grey colour scheme.

Last edited by drt_rdr : 19th August 2022 at 14:43.
drt_rdr is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 14:58   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Adventure bikes are really popular in my City for the exact same reason, as are the 'pseudo-SUV' cars.
Bullseye.
The ADV and the SUV(C/M/L SUV) wave are working in tandem, fuelled a lot by our roadworks. How long can you deal with hurting wrists and elsewhere

Brilliantly written review and the accessories are exhaustive.
In person the bikes looks impressive, I have gazed at a couple of yellow units over at the Suzuki ASC.
Glad to finally see a stock LED unit live up to expectations.

Wishing you the best of roads and rides
shancz is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:09   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
For a comfortable, reliable and proven Suzuki, I too was ready to plonk down that money on the VStrom 250. However, the perception in the rider community right or wrong, as it may be is that for the same money, you are getting a Scram 411 or a Himalayan 411, which seem to be more VFM bikes.
I really like the looks of the Scram 411 (dare I say better than the Strom) Neil, now if only it wasn’t a Royal Enfield I would be really, really interested. Just cannot take the chance of having to run to the service centre with a brand new bike.

Cheers
Cyborg is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 15:24   #27
BHPian

Nice detailed writeup, Sebring. I like how you have information like that insight from Mr Shiva. The general opinion was that Suzuki had just strapped on the adventure style fairing on the Gixxer platform and called it a day. If I were Suzuki, I'd would be making a lot more noise to change this assumption.

Quote:
The perception in the rider community (right or wrong, as it may be) is that for the same money, you are getting a Scram 411 or a Himalayan 411, which seem to be more VFM bikes.
Yes! Word is that the Scram and the Himalayan have one of the most plush ride qualities out there and that is very very tempting! Missed opportunity by Suzuki imo, As long as they are introducing a new product, why not get in another variant with comfier long travel suspension and spoke wheels and call it, i dont know the Vstrom 250XT? and the option to buy and swap parts between the SX and the XT like what Hero are offering? Sigh, In some alternative world maybe.
Grimlock is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 16:11   #28
Senior - BHPian

Suzuki needs to train their sales staff. If a customers says to them that the 'Avenis and VSTROM 250 have the same speedometer console' they are mute. They will not go into the details. Or if someone says the 'Gixxer and VSTROM are one and the same', they have no counter. I have seen this happening and was asking them to brush up their knowledge and at least offer a semblance of resistance and sales pitch. If I was marketing this hot product I would go to town. But Suzuki had no ads whatsoever, be it on TV or Newspapers. They're relying heavily on online reviewers to whom no bikes were supplied at launch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimlock View Post
Nice detailed writeup, Sebring. I like how you have information like that insight from Mr Shiva. The general opinion was that Suzuki had just strapped on the adventure style fairing on the Gixxer platform and called it a day. If I were Suzuki, I'd would be making a lot more noise to change this assumption.
Sebring is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 17:36   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Suzuki needs to train their sales staff.
Was this experience with them recent? Shame If this is still the case now, months after the launch.

One thing they got right was making the bike available in the showrooms immediately after the launch, that way every youtuber with a camera will go about reading spec sheets, reducing dependency on sales people at the showroom.

They could definitely have handled the auto journos better though, that long embargo also did not help. If they had mentioned strongly about the change in components in the presentation itself, these online reviewers also would have mentioned it in their reviews and if these professional reviews had gone to market before the influencers, there might have been much better clarity about the differences today.
Grimlock is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 20:02   #30
BHPian

Appreciate you giving me a spin on your bike Sebring.

Great colour choice, I must say.
It's a looker in this scheme.

Looks like you've gone ahead and customized your ride, just as you had imagined!

Look forward to your long term ownership report.
Ride safe.
dj_666 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks