Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th August 2022, 20:58   #31
BHPian

Re: A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review

Excellent review Sebring. Thanks for this much needed detailed piece. Thanks also to a great 'review of the review' by Neil . It's sounds music to the ear experienced bhpians discuss a machine like this.

I used to curse seeing V storm 650, thinking how good it could be, if Suzuki had a smaller and more affordable sibling. Suzuki has obliged with V storm 250. I took a very short test ride back in June itself, hadn't decided yet, but, this is in top of my list of future upgrade. My current and first ride for past almost 6 years is Gixxer sf 155 (2016 model, pre-FI and pre-ABS era) and it's refinement and reliability has already turned me into Suzuki fan boy

Now my query to you guys is:

How much different the suspension of V storm 250 is from Gixxer 250? Is it exactly same or slightly softer then Gixxer 250?.
I know it can't be compared with likes of Himalayan/X-pulse or even GS310.

Both of you are best 'equipped' to answer my query.

Stiffness of the suspension is my only concern with gixxers, everything else is just awesome.

Thanks
LongDrive lover is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 18:58   #32
Senior - BHPian

Suspension is slightly softer than Gixxer I felt. do take a test ride and keep us posted
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
How much different the suspension of V storm 250 is from Gixxer 250? Is it exactly same or slightly softer then Gixxer 250?. Both of you are best 'equipped' to answer my query.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 21:19   #33
Senior - BHPian

Oh absolutely, those would be great. Check out the instrument cluster, the cockpit and windscreen from the VSTROM 250 abroad
Quote:
Originally Posted by drt_rdr View Post
If Suzuki made a variant that would cut out the bluetooth stuff by replacing the new instrument screen with the one from the gixxer and give it single channel ABS for 10-15k lower, I'd jump on it like no tomorrow, more so if they also brought out a blue or grey colour scheme.
Attached Thumbnails
A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-screenshot-20220819-2.04.51-pm.png  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-screenshot-20220819-2.16.49-pm.png  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-screenshot-20220819-2.18.04-pm.png  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-screenshot-20220819-2.19.22-pm.png  

Old 21st August 2022, 21:37   #34
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongDrive lover View Post
Now my query to you guys is:

How much different the suspension of V storm 250 is from Gixxer 250? Is it exactly same or slightly softer then Gixxer 250?.
I know it can't be compared with likes of Himalayan/X-pulse or even GS310.

Both of you are best 'equipped' to answer my query.

Stiffness of the suspension is my only concern with gixxers, everything else is just awesome.
LongDrive lover, from what I have been told, the suspension is shared between the three 250 cc Suzuki motorcycles. The travel is the same at the front end. The rear suspension is 7 step adjustable on all three bikes.

Are the springs different? Is different fork oil used at the front end of the VStrom 250? I dont know the answers to these questions.

If I ride the VSTrom 250 and Gixxer SF 250 back to back, I would be in a position to tell you how similar or dissimilar they felt. Off the top of my head, the suspension feel on the SF 250 and the VStrom 250 is almost the same. That said, I havent found the suspension on the SF 250 or the VStrom 250 to be stiff. In fact, the SF 250 has the most supple suspension among the 3 bikes that I own. Given the less than perfect roads in Kerala these days, the suspension of my SF 250 is getting a proper workout but it has never let me down.
neil.jericho is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 21:10   #35
Senior - BHPian

The guys from Delhi R&D inspected my bike and replaced few 'child parts', checked valve clearance and adjusted the clutch. Chain was tightened and greased. This took them all of Sunday. Bike is sprinting like new These guys are awesome
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Thanks for your replies, buddy. I dont know if I am reading too much into your experience and adding one plus one to get ten. However, this is most unusual. Maybe this is a partial amber flag
Old 25th August 2022, 14:29   #36
Senior - BHPian

Some lovely accessories have come in to the market. Spotted TeamBHP-ian Madhukar_n getting the crash guard and engine guard fitted before his Ladakh trip. Had a lovely chat. Wishing him the very best.
Attached Thumbnails
A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img_8833.jpg  

Last edited by Sebring : 25th August 2022 at 14:39.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th August 2022, 18:06   #37
Team-BHP Support

Exceptional, unbiased & detailed ownership reviews of bikes have started going to our homepage reviews box. It's the ultimate stamp of trust from Team-BHP (as a platform) because lakhs of visitors every month check out reviews from there & make purchase decisions.

Your review has also been included here. Thank you so much for sharing .

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-vst.png
Aditya is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 09:45   #38
Senior - BHPian

Team BHPian Madhukar_n spared no expense to send the humble VSTROM into the major league. The extra width truly made it a worthy sibling to the 650, 'presence wise'. He has been through his churn of 'Big Bikes' in the past and has settled down in the middle weight category Eager to know how it performs in Ladakh, in 10 days time
Attached Thumbnails
A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img_8890.jpg  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-3318b5402f3d4c7686eb2af178bd955c.jpg  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img_8883.jpg  

Sebring is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 13:55   #39
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post

Whispering 'nothings' to the ride
Thank you for that glorious review, Sebring! It did much to tilt the scales toward the VStrom SX. I am vacillating 'tween Xpulse 200 4V and the V.
Thank you neil.jericho for adding value to the review.
I love those luggage boxes on Madhukar_n's VStrom. Where can I get those? How much do they cost?

Last edited by Dressellian : 26th August 2022 at 13:59. Reason: Added more info
Dressellian is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 17:45   #40
Senior - BHPian

Thank you Theyre from Himalayan. RE sells them for 26K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dressellian View Post
I love those luggage boxes on Madhukar_n's VStrom. Where can I get those? How much do they cost?
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 08:39   #41
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

A very detailed review of the Vstrom Sx.
I myself have been looking at the cb350 and the vstrom.
The onroad price difference is around 30k. And i felt that the cb350 had better brakes and lighter clutch.

I test rode the vstrom the other day and i came away mighty impressed. A very light bike it is. I could almost flat foot the bike. But that thing is so light it wasn't a problem for me. The engine was also sweet and linear. The brakes are also very good. Not very sharp but is better than the Himalayan for sure.
The riding position is awesome. Maybe not for off-road use but for cruising on roads, it's very good. The handlebars have to be raised if one intends to fo off road.

It's a very nice bike. NICE being the keyword. In my mind this is mich better than a Himalayan or scram.
They are both overpriced. The brakes on them are pathetic and the clutch, gearbox ain't the best. But the suspension is better on them for sure. No doubt about that.
But I would take the vstrom over the Himalayan twins all day any day.

Also the road presence is insane. I saw some vstroms towering over my civic on my way back home. It has tugged on my heartstring no doubt.

I do wish for a couple of things.
1) More suspension travel for one.
2) Lower price, it would've been awesome if the ex showroom price was below 2 lakhs.
3) Lighter clutch action and slipper clutch.
4) A better looking rear end with a cleaner number plate holder.

I am very impressed with the bike. If anyone's having doubts about the bike, Just go for a test ride, you'll get why people buy it.
Attached Thumbnails
A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img_20220826_121026.jpg  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img_20220826_121017.jpg  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img20220817190926.jpg  

A STROM is brewing | 'Yalla', my Suzuki V-Strom 250 SX ownership review-img_20220826_121036.jpg  

josephilip is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 18:19   #42
BHPian

The boys were fighting over the CB300R, so I test rode the bike. I first went to try the 310RR, but they didn't have a test ride bike. Besides, the bike was a bit heavy, and required a crouched stance. We are small built in our family.

I could just tippy toe the left foot, but had a great test ride on the Strom (German for 'Stream'?). Will pick up this coming week. Wishlist: rally kit upgrade with longer suspension travel, to soak up the potholes. It's default on the KTM 250 ADV, also a flip on a street bike.

This is the time to test out the last of the ICE greats, now freely being made available by the big manufacturers. Maybe, after five years, they'll ban them and we'll all have to go electric, which are double the price of the petrol versions now.

Maybe a KTM Freeride is in the offing? At a 'normal' price?

Last edited by proton : 27th August 2022 at 18:26.
proton is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th August 2022, 21:33   #43
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Thank you Theyre from Himalayan. RE sells them for 26K
awesome review, nicely captured.
1) please tell more about the frame (to mount the RE panniers). did you get the RE frame, or got some custom made to fix on bike ?

2) and also please tell in detail about the change in the Gixxer belly protector (skid plate) (part # ?) which you modified to fit on your bike. what exactly was changed. did it fit along with the default engine guard (skid plate) ?

many thanks in advance.

Last edited by pcpranav : 27th August 2022 at 21:45.
pcpranav is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th August 2022, 19:02   #44
Senior - BHPian

You're welcome, Buddy The frame is is sold by Art of Motorcycle. This can accommodate the rugged Himalayan boxes. 2. The Gixxer belly protector will fit but the front part will need a small extension piece. Fits nicely together with the skid plate
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
awesome review, nicely captured. 1) please tell more about the frame 2) and also please tell in detail about the change in the Gixxer belly protector
Sebring is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th August 2022, 18:12   #45
Senior - BHPian

More suspension travel can be realised. The Himalayan front suspension tubes are a direct fit on the VSTROM 250 since diameter is the same. AOM said if I wished they'd do it for me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by proton View Post
Wishlist: rally kit upgrade with longer suspension travel, to soak up the potholes. It's default on the KTM 250 ADV, also a flip on a street bike.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks