Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2023, 13:31   #181
BHPian

Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Gunner View Post
Hi guys, an important update.
Have been observing a strange sound from the engine, accompanied by more heat than usual, so took it to SVC.
Initially they said it was normal sound only, after slight argument they've acknowledged the problem. And the engine oil was no where to be seen in the engine oil indicator.
Now the engine oil was drained and there was hardly 250ml.
Will let you know once further info comes
Yours has to be the second 250 to have this issue in this forum? It is rather alarming. Did you see any signs of oil burning prior to the development of the noise? It is appalling behavior from Suzuki dealership to not acknowledge the issue in the first place. What makes the 250 motors burn oil at such an early age is a mystery. Could it be an engineering failure or the stock Ecstar 10w40 oil not being up to the task? Waiting for your updates.

Last edited by b16h22 : 31st July 2023 at 13:52.
b16h22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:25   #182

Done with the first service of Gixxer SF 250 recently. Planned for a short trip. I must say it's a world of a difference.

The engine oil I asked to use is https://www.amazon.in/Motul-104091-S.../dp/B00C72MCUU

Chain lubrication is also done.

Found that the vibrations got drastically reduced especially between 5K to 7K rpm (75-100kph).

I could cruise at 110kph without any heating issues or vibrations or noises. It's smooth like butter. I could actually go a lot faster as I could still feel the juice left but I couldn't, given the road conditions.

I bought a seat cushion (https://www.amazon.in/gp/product/B0B..._title_o03_s00) and adjusted the rear preload suspension to "2" given the fact that "4" is the stock config. And I must say the ride is very pleasant. Maybe a few springy-feel-encounters during small bumps on highways, as I made suspension softer, but nothing unpleasant.

I could do a journey of around 150Km and I must say the engine didn't fret a bit. No heating issues, nothing. I am planning for a much long trip and will post that opinion as well.

I've done a few cosmetic modifications which don't alter anything significantly. Here are a few pics.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img_3644.jpg  

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img_3645.jpg  

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img_3646.jpg  

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img_3647.jpg  

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img_3648.jpg  

rssah77 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:47   #183
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Yours has to be the second 250 to have this issue in this forum?
====
Waiting for your updates.
Absolutely no sign. Sure will let you posted.

Last edited by Jaggu : 31st July 2023 at 16:19. Reason: Trimming quoted post, also do a Preview before submitting replies.
Castro Gunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st August 2023, 20:24   #184

Wonderful review of the bike! Absolutely loved your take on it, especially after picking up my own V-Strom a couple of weeks back. I too stay in Cochin and wanted to inquire about both the dealerships that you have mentioned, ideally in private messaging as I don't want to bring out their names on a public forum. The queries are mostly service related. For the life of me, I can't seem to find the Private Message option on these platforms and I'm still learning so it would mean the world to me if you could help a fellow rider out!
Old 24th August 2023, 15:44   #185
BHPian

Quote:
Yours has to be the second 250 to have this issue in this forum? It is rather alarming. Did you see any signs of oil burning prior to the development of the noise? It is appalling behavior from Suzuki dealership to not acknowledge the issue in the first place. What makes the 250 motors burn oil at such an early age is a mystery. Could it be an engineering failure or the stock Ecstar 10w40 oil not being up to the task? Waiting for your updates.
Finally got the vehicle.
The following were replaced under warranty.
1. CYLINDER COMP
2. PISTON
3. RING SET, PISTON
4. ADJUSTER ASSY, TENSIONER
5. VALVE INTAKE
6. VALVE, EXHAUST
7. CLEANER ASSY, AIR

The interesting part is that i still feel that the sound is different. Have to check oil level after a month to check whether the issue persists.
Will update that as well.
Castro Gunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 16:15   #186
BHPian

Quote:
Finally got the vehicle.
The following were replaced under warranty.
1. CYLINDER COMP
2. PISTON
3. RING SET, PISTON
4. ADJUSTER ASSY, TENSIONER
5. VALVE INTAKE
6. VALVE, EXHAUST
7. CLEANER ASSY, AIR

The interesting part is that i still feel that the sound is different. Have to check oil level after a month to check whether the issue persists.
Will update that as well.
That is quite an extensive list of parts. The whole top end got replaced. Good thing your bike was still under warranty. Is it still under the 2 year factory warranty? or was it covered under the extended 3 year coverage?

Did they give you an official explanation for the premature oil burning? It doesn't give much confidence to the likes of us who own a pre-owned gixxer iirc, There was one more Gixxer in the forum with same issue and I've come across another one on Youtube previously. So it is not a random occurrence to be ignored at. Is yours a bs6 bike?
Old 24th August 2023, 17:28   #187
BHPian

Quote:
That is quite an extensive list of parts. The whole top end got replaced. Good thing your bike was still under warranty. Is it still under the 2 year factory warranty? or was it covered under the extended 3 year coverage?

Did they give you an official explanation for the premature oil burning? It doesn't give much confidence to the likes of us who own a pre-owned gixxer iirc, There was one more Gixxer in the forum with same issue and I've come across another one on Youtube previously. So it is not a random occurrence to be ignored at. Is yours a bs6 bike?

My bike is under extended warranty period. (Used for 3.5 yrs/39k kms).

No, they had no clue it seems. But what they suspect is that some dust air particles would've entered (hence air filter assembly was changed). Yes, now confidence is very low with the engine, because i thought that ill ride atleast 1.2-1.5L kms before the engine gives up. And this issue popped up quite drastically. BS4 mine is.

Attaching invoice copy FYR. (Isn't the engine parts quite cheap?)
P.s. Reular service was done along with this.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-1.jpg  

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-2.jpg  

Castro Gunner is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 24th August 2023, 20:11   #188
BHPian

Quote:

No, they had no clue it seems. But what they suspect is that some dust air particles would've entered (hence air filter assembly was changed). Yes, now confidence is very low with the engine, because i thought that ill ride atleast 1.2-1.5L kms before the engine gives up. And this issue popped up quite drastically. BS4 mine is.

The extended warranty really helped in this occasion. And the parts prices seem very reasonable. I've had engines on two of my bikes rebuilt in the past, a Karizma and an AS200. The overall cost seems to be in the ballpark of the Bajaj and that is a big plus I would say. And it is a lot more reasonable than the Karizma prices .

I noticed that they've changed the tappet shims on your bike probably because the valves were replaced. I have been trying to source shims from a Bengaluru dealer through a friend and they seem to be taking an awful lot of time to deliver it. My valves were a little out of spec when checked last month. It has been almost a month since I placed the order
b16h22 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 09:10   #189
BHPian

Quote:
The extended warranty really helped in this occasion. And the parts prices seem very reasonable. I've had engines on two of my bikes rebuilt in the past, a Karizma and an AS200. The overall cost seems to be in the ballpark of the Bajaj and that is a big plus I would say. And it is a lot more reasonable than the Karizma prices .
At what mileage did the engine require a rebuild? Will the rebuilt engine will be good as new in terms of performance and longevity?

For support from Bengaluru, try sourcing from Saptagiri Suzuki, Rajaji Nagar. The service person is exceptional over there. Also always keep the regional head, he is also a very good and helpful guy. Always has a solution.

Last edited by Axe77 : 25th August 2023 at 09:16. Reason: Fixing grammar, caps etc.
Castro Gunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th August 2023, 13:00   #190
BHPian

Quote:
At what mileage did the engine require a rebuild? Will the rebuilt engine will be good as new in terms of performance and longevity?
Both were pre-owned bikes and lemons so it is not a clear indication of their longevity I guess. AS had lots of trouble at very early age. Like it was only 13k when I sold it off after rebuild. Unfortunately I got it at the end of warranty period. It didn't feel as nice as would've hoped for after the rebuild which was weird as everything including the crank was changed. Which is why it was sold off immediately.
Karizma had some miles on it and previous owner concealed a previous accident repaired frame and probably a new speedo under the relatively clean exterior. It felt good after a rebore, new pistons, and some gear wheels changed. I didn't keep it for long thanks to accident repaired frame.

Quote:
For support from Bengaluru, try sourcing from Saptagiri Suzuki, Rajaji Nagar. The service person is exceptional over there. Also always keep the regional head, he is also a very good and helpful guy. Always has a solution.
I'll see about that
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd September 2023, 22:22   #191
Senior - BHPian

@Castro Gunner, how's the machine holding up after the rebuild? Can you perhaps make a video of the engine running and share a link. Would love to hear how the motor sounds.

Also surprising to see is the price of the cylinder comp assy, piston and rings. With a 150 cc Unicorn's Cylinder Comp Assy including piston, rings and pin costing close to 3.8k. Surprised to see a 250 cc cylinder comp including all three not exceeding 2.7k which is strikingly interesting.

The entire upper end seems to be lesser than 5k, if we exclude labor which is even sweet. This piques me to do something interesting, would perhaps talk to the ASS folks here, perhaps get a quote for the V-Strom 250 cylinder kit and let's see if there's a marked difference.

Cheers!
VJ

Last edited by VijayAnand1 : 3rd September 2023 at 22:23.
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 12:47   #192
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
@Castro Gunner, how's the machine holding up after the rebuild? Can you perhaps make a video of the engine running and share a link. Would love to hear how the motor sounds.

Also surprising to see is the price of the cylinder comp assy, piston and rings. With a 150 cc Unicorn's Cylinder Comp Assy including piston, rings and pin costing close to 3.8k. Surprised to see a 250 cc cylinder comp including all three not exceeding 2.7k which is strikingly interesting.

The entire upper end seems to be lesser than 5k, if we exclude labor which is even sweet. This piques me to do something interesting, would perhaps talk to the ASS folks here, perhaps get a quote for the V-Strom 250 cylinder kit and let's see if there's a marked difference.

Cheers!
VJ
HI VJ,

At the moment im trying to be less skeptical till the first service. Notable points which I observed are
1. There is a notable warmth felt towards my right calf which I never felt during the entire ownership.
2. Sound doesn't seem as that of a normal bike and at the same time it is not that it can be complained of. (Like the sound difference only the owner can notice).
3. After riding 400kms got F1 error with engine light warning. Took to ASC immediately, where the diagnosis tool was used. The tool indicated a " undefined error " with some code. ASC guy didnt know about it as well as google search. So he cleared the error through tool and now the bike is normal.

Other than that everything is fine.

And I'm unable attach youtube links bro
Old 5th September 2023, 16:42   #193
BHPian

Quote:
HI VJ,

At the moment im trying to be less skeptical till the first service. Notable points which I observed are
1. There is a notable warmth felt towards my right calf which I never felt during the entire ownership.
One possible explanation could be that the new piston+cylinder kit is essentially in the break-in phase and thereby producing more heat due to the friction between the new rings and cylinder wall. But to be honest, even my Naked Gixxer throws a little heat onto my legs when I'm stuck in the traffic with high ambient temperatures.

Quote:
2. Sound doesn't seem as that of a normal bike and at the same time it is not that it can be complained of. (Like the sound difference only the owner can notice).
Did you check if the air box or any of the intake air passage ways are sealed properly?
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2023, 17:42   #194
BHPian

Quote:
One possible explanation could be that the new piston+cylinder kit is essentially in the break-in phase and thereby producing more heat due to the friction between the new rings and cylinder wall. But to be honest, even my Naked Gixxer throws a little heat onto my legs when I'm stuck in the traffic with high ambient temperatures.

Did you check if the air box or any of the intake air passage ways are sealed properly?
Yes im going with that assumption only. But I never felt any such heat during my initial break in (But the environment was entirely different- Relatively hotter weather than bangalore but absolutely no traffic) Also my regular commutes under the same environment (Bangalore) doesn't release as much as heat.

And I have absolutely no idea what you are saying technically
Old 23rd September 2023, 18:50   #195
BHPian

Quote:

Update: Completed 1000kms after engine re bore and engine oil changed.
There was no engine oil burn this time. Maybe the next service (after 3.5k to 4k kms) would give the perfect picture.
And the buzziness of the engine remains the same. It is no longer japanese smooth.
Bad news- FI error popped up and ASC said o2 sensor needs replacement.

Good news- After trying in many ASCs to use Motul 7100 engine oil, the current ASC accepted without voiding the warranty, so from next service ill be switching to Motul from ecstar.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks