Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th May 2023, 16:33   #151
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by VijayAnand1 View Post
Has anyone tried a workaround installing a switch or a fuse tap without splicing up the stock loom? I feel as though a HL switch could perhaps turn out to be saving factor both for the generator and the battery side of things in the long run.

Cheers!
VJ
I just did on my SF250. Initially tried to take the OEM switch assembly route but that was turning out to be a hassle as the AHO enabled bikes have 4 pin sockets while the non AHO ones had 9 pin ones with 7 enabled IIRC.

So took the additional switch route, looked out for Uno Minda and did the wiring. The visor and instrument cluster+surround have to come off for this, to avoid cutting/splicing wiring tried to depin the required pins, that too turned to be a pain due to the weatherproofing and lack of experience. Somehow managed to depin and connect wires with switch, secure them and apply heat shrink tubing over the connection. Many SF owners never realise there are Pilot LEDs which are always on since the low beam also always turn on. This is how the Pilot LEDs look, one of the main reasons I wanted to do this, battery saving and LED life saving was just a bonus.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img20230514wa0017.jpg
DRIV3R is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 14th May 2023, 21:12   #152
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIV3R View Post
I just did on my SF250. Initially tried to take the OEM switch assembly route but that was turning out to be a hassle as the AHO enabled bikes have 4 pin sockets while the non AHO ones had 9 pin ones with 7 enabled IIRC.
This is exactly what I wanted to hear, the pin mod and the direct swap viability. Yes, the weatherproofing is a PITA but very crucial for our water and riding conditions. On my Himalayan, I had to install a switch tapping it from the wiring HL loom, by pushing the pins out and then installing an in line switch, worked like a charm for the HL, though the rear LED would stay on.

Mine being the V-Strom, the HL assembly wiring loom and socket might differ, perhaps. You mentioned OE switch, did this switch belong to the 150 cousins? The 150 nakeds have similarly designed HL unit to that of the Strom's. I need to dig a bit deeper on this.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th June 2023, 09:43   #153
BHPian

TLDR; Did anybody face any fuel pump issues in your Suzukis (mainly the 150s and 250s) recently?

Detailed Post:
(Excuse the long post. Added many details that I felt could help judge the issue)

New issue with my 2021 Gixxer SF 150 - engine refusing to start.
I got it serviced on June 6th, filled the tank at an IndianOil petrol bunk near my home. Rode about 60km since then without any problems.

June 8th:
9PM, after dinner at a restaurant; engine wont start. Self start seems to be working as it should. Starter motor is cranking the engine, but there is no ignition. (I can see its cranking to 500rpm). Jump start didn't work either. RSA quoted Rs.1800 to transport the bike for 6km on a flatbed. Local mechanics said they cant assure anything since they're not skilled enough to troubleshoot BS6 bikes.
In the mean time, the valet at the restaurant (claimed that he used to be a bike mechanic himself) fiddled with the spark plug ignitor, and 2 mins later, the bike cranked! He said it was 'loose'.
Thankfully, an uneventful ride to home. I switched off the engine and tried cranking it again, and the engine is ON. Even next day, engine ignited at the first crank!
Continued riding it daily since I'm packed at work till June 16th, and can take it to service center only after that. So, rode only from Home to Work, since I can park the bike at either of them in case I face the issue again.

June 16th:
I was about to leave work to visit the service center and there it is again, the Engine wont ignite! Same scene as above. I tried the spark plugs thing. That didn't work this time. Called up service center and asked to send someone to check this out. They said they will send only next day, since its already 5 30pm. Left it at office and went home. Visited the bike again on Saturday with a strong will to solve this. No drama today, the engine started on first crank!
Left it there and worked in office to finish off few things.

June 19th:
Took the bike to service center. After explaining all the above, the mechanic immediately alleged a faulty fuel pump in the bike. He said this issue has been common in Suzuki vehicles these days, and even replicated the problem! (revved the engine till about 8k rpm, and the engine shut down itself immediately and didn't start immediately again. It started 10mins later, on a random crank.

Fuel pump, if identified as the cause of issue, will be replaced under warranty (just 40days of warranty period left).

When talked around the service center, I got 3 types of statements:
1. Service center manager also has a 2021 Gixxer 150. After knowing the issue, he guessed the age of the bike almost accurately. He claimed that he faced exact same issue at just 80km ODO. He got the fuel pump replaced, and all is well since then.
2. Mechanic says this issue has been popping up in many Suzukis and the manufacturer is covering the 'first' fuel pump replacement under warranty (irrespective of age of vehicle).
3. SA said he observed this issue in many vehicles, but never on those vehicles with E20 sticker on them. I asked him if the extra ethanol in fuel could cause this problem, but he seemed unaware of even what E20 means.
(And frankly, I don't know if the fuel I filled is E20 or not. Usually I fill XP95 every time. But this time, that particular dispenser is not working. So I filled normal petrol).

Don't know if this may be because of E20 fuel or not. When looked up, I found this post from E20 petrol thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewing View Post
Today's news letter from TheKen
https://the-ken.com/greenmargins/e20...-petrol-bunks/

Key takeaways
- ethanol is hygroscopic in nature. Whenever it finds water around it, as droplets in underground tanks at petrol bunks or inside the vehicle’s fuel tanks or even as humidity in the atmosphere, it absorbs that water. And at a certain critical point, water separates from petrol.
There are more reports of two wheelers facing this issue

- In older cars, the serviceability of the fuel pump—which pumps the fuel into the engine at high pressure—will get affected over time at higher ethanol levels and hence will need to be replaced

Last edited by Mr.Bentley : 20th June 2023 at 09:47. Reason: Quoted an old post
Mr.Bentley is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 24th June 2023, 01:15   #154
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Bentley View Post
Did anybody face any fuel pump issues in your Suzukis (mainly the 150s and 250s) recently?
Don't know if this may be because of E20 fuel or not. When looked up, I found this post from E20 petrol thread
Did you ask them to check the fuel sample from the last refill? Not sure if Ethanol in fuel can cause such problems within a two-year life span of a motorcycle that is designed to run with ethanol blended fuel. Could be a bad batch of fuel pumps from Suzuki.

Last edited by Turbanator : 25th June 2023 at 00:03. Reason: Please quote only relevant portion while replying.
b16h22 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th June 2023, 07:25   #155
BHPian

Got the bike back from service centre. They replaced the fuel pump under warranty, and now everything seems to be normal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Did you ask them to check the fuel sample from the last refill?
Yeah I did. They agreed first. But during delivery, they said they didn't have the equipment to do it

Quote:
Not sure if Ethanol in fuel can cause such problems within a two-year life span of a motorcycle that is designed to run with ethanol blended fuel.
Mine in not rated E20. So, I'm afraid my bike is as susceptible as most of the newer bikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
Could be a bad batch of fuel pumps from Suzuki.
Service supervisor did say that 2021-2022 made Gixxers had FOUR officially accepted part issues: fuel pump, ECM and I forgot the others. He said they cheeked for issues of all other parts and they delivered it back to me.

Fingers crossed, this should be the only unplanned visit for me
Mr.Bentley is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd July 2023, 13:02   #156

Hi fellow BHPians, I recently bought Gixxer SF 250 BS6 OBD2 edition (just a few days ago) and I would like to say I feel the engine is heating somewhat for even shorter rides? Is it normal? I mean it's not like I can't bear it but it's just that I can feel a small heat wave on my left leg sometimes. I am keeping the revs just under 5k though. Is it normal for new bikes to get hot? Will this issue solve after 1st service?

If all goes right after 1st service? I would also like to know how often do we need to change the oil on this bike assuming that I go on long trips quite often?
rssah77 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 13:10   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rssah77 View Post
Hi fellow BHPians, I recently bought Gixxer SF 250 BS6 OBD2 edition (just a few days ago) and I would like to say I feel the engine is heating somewhat for even shorter rides? Is it normal? I mean it's not like I can't bear it but it's just that I can feel a small heat wave on my left leg sometimes. I am keeping the revs just under 5k though. Is it normal for new bikes to get hot? Will this issue solve after 1st service?

If all goes right after 1st service? I would also like to know how often do we need to change the oil on this bike assuming that I go on long trips quite often?
Hi rssah77, Congratulations on your buy.
Going by what you say, definitely engine will get hot to the extent that it can be slightly felt (particularly during city commuting)
Is your cooler fan turning on ?.

As per manufacturer recomendation it is 1000kms or 1 month whichever is earlier for first service and 5000kms or 6 months whichever earlier for further services.
But generally riders change the oil slightly earlier(around 3.5k to 4.5k )
Castro Gunner is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd July 2023, 15:22   #158

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Gunner View Post
Hi rssah77, Congratulations on your buy.
Going by what you say, definitely engine will get hot to the extent that it can be slightly felt (particularly during city commuting)
Is your cooler fan turning on ?.

As per manufacturer recomendation it is 1000kms or 1 month whichever is earlier for first service and 5000kms or 6 months whichever earlier for further services.
But generally riders change the oil slightly earlier(around 3.5k to 4.5k )
Hi Castro Gunner, Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by "cooler fan turning on". How do I check that? Will the fan make a sound? I'll check for that and let you know if any.

And yes, I am doing city commutes mostly.
Old 4th July 2023, 11:39   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Hi Castro Gunner, Thanks for the reply. I am not sure what you mean by "cooler fan turning on". How do I check that? Will the fan make a sound? I'll check for that and let you know if any.

And yes, I am doing city commutes mostly.
In the oil cooler system there will be a fan. When the temperature of the engine exceeds certain temperature, the fan will start to cool it down. Yes it will make a whirring sound.
Assuming that you have not heard the fan going on, and all are city commutes, nothing to worry regarding the slight warmth felt from the engine.
Castro Gunner is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th July 2023, 01:48   #160
BHPian

Quote:

It doesn't get that hot normally. I mean certainly not even close to a KTM for example. But that said, a little bit of heat can be felt around the feet when the bike has been stuck in slow traffic for a while and the ambient temperature is high. That is pretty normal for a 250 and is nothing to be worried
b16h22 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th July 2023, 11:36   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Castro Gunner View Post
In the oil cooler system there will be a fan. When the temperature of the engine exceeds certain temperature, the fan will start to cool it down. Yes it will make a whirring sound.
Assuming that you have not heard the fan going on, and all are city commutes, nothing to worry regarding the slight warmth felt from the engine.
When I keep my head near it, apart from engine sound I can actually hear a small tone of fan sound. It's interesting.. Also, now I feel it's normal for a new 250CC engine to get heat similar to my engine heat, according to various forums I read online. Thank you.
Old 6th July 2023, 13:04   #162
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Congratulations on your new bike!

We can definitely expect a new engine to heat up more as it goes through the running in process. That being said, the Suzuki quarter litres don't generate excess heat. I have rarely felt it. The fan is on your left while seated but mostly I have felt the hot air exiting on the right. The fan is for the oil cooler and the engine oil doubles up as cooling agent in this application.

Also, would recommend you expedite your first oil change.

DRIV3R is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 13:47   #163
BHPian

Quote:

Congrats and here's to happy mile munching on your new bike!
The SF 250 has excellent heat management and i have hardly felt heat or the fan sound on my bike. So do check
1.Your engine oil levels while bike is level
2.Any muck which may be blocking the airflow to oil cooler.

And yes, do share your riding experience also
Passatman is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 20:44   #164
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Brand new motorcycles, car any ICE vehicle will heat up mildly more than usual. This happens due to parts bedding in and the engine oil working hard to catch up the shavings and what not. Most manuals say that the engine will be comparatively hotter running when brand new and after second and third services, things should settle smooth.

So, in your case, nothing to worry. As long as your oil level is fine, everything's working as it should. Good luck and welcome to the boards.

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th July 2023, 23:25   #165

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passatman View Post
Congrats and here's to happy mile munching on your new bike!
The SF 250 has excellent heat management and i have hardly felt heat or the fan sound on my bike. So do check
1.Your engine oil levels while bike is level
2.Any muck which may be blocking the airflow to oil cooler.

And yes, do share your riding experience also

Yes. Please find the attachment of my engine oil level when the bike is held level. I think the level is sufficient.
Attached Thumbnails
Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-img_3530.jpg  

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks