Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th March 2024, 10:36   #256
Senior - BHPian

Re: Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegal View Post
The market for gixxer 250s is very bad, have a gixxer sf 250 bought in first lot as seemed agood buy then.
Recently bought a Triump scrambler 400X, finding hard to find buyers for sf 250, dealers are low balling.
Wanted to keep both but having WFH keeping two bikes and a moped is too much.
Also worried about future spare part availability.
This is exactly the thought that swept through my mind in 2024 when my buddy rb2399 swept into my home on his new Speed 400 and told me it was for 2 lacs and change.

But as I said earlier, in 2019, nothing came close.

Time and market moves on. Fact of life. Does not change the fact that the Gixxer is a great bike. Just that there are better bikes now.

And tomorrow there will be better bikes than those that are better today.

And day after tomorrow there will be electric bikes, and I will become Mad Max and keep my petrol burning mobsters patched up through Apocalypse, than be caught dead on one of those wheeled robots.

Cheers, Doc
Old 29th March 2024, 10:39   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhaegal View Post
The market for gixxer 250s is very bad, have a gixxer sf 250 bought in first lot as seemed agood buy then.
Recently bought a Triump scrambler 400X, finding hard to find buyers for sf 250, dealers are low balling.
Wanted to keep both but having WFH keeping two bikes and a moped is too much.
Also worried about future spare part availability.
You are not alone in this matter. I bought one for an absolute steal last year. The depreciation the first owner had to take was almost criminal. He was just about to take his ad off because he had zero interest at the initial asking price which was fair for a two year old bike in this segment. Though I might not take a big depreciation hit when I sell it again, it looks like nobody is ever going to buy it off me

I follow FB marketplace and OLX to keep up with the market dynamics and in 9 out of 10 cases, the Gixxer 250s don't even sell. Their ads get expired or simply remain dormant. Nobody wants the thing even with really low asking prices and it's an unfortunate situation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Time and market moves on. Fact of life. Does not change the fact that the Gixxer is a great bike. Just that there are better bikes now.

Cheers, Doc
It's an accomplished bike and it grows on you like a typical Suzuki. I don't regret the riding experience despite some niggles I had to take care of. But the reality of spares, support, resale remains a reality for the owners.

Last edited by b16h22 : 29th March 2024 at 10:44.
b16h22 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2024, 23:37   #258
Distinguished - BHPian

Fourth Service Experience at Bike Zone

To keep the Suzuki GSXRRRRR's warranty intact, I stuck to the recommended service intervals for the initial year. The first service was completed in July 2022. The second service was completed in September 2022. The third service was completed in January 2023. After that, I decided to stick to a 12 month / 6,000 km interval (whichever came earlier), instead of the recommended 6 months / 5,000 km interval.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-21.jpg

Last month, I took the Suzuki GSXRRR 250 for its fourth service to the Bike Zone, Vytilla. The service advisor asked me to bring it by 09:00 but to nobody's surprise, the showroom and the adjoining SVC were still to be opened well after that time. Outside of the regular service, there were 2 things which I wanted to be done
- replace the clutch cable (I tend to replace it within 10K kms on my motorcycles, plus the VStrom 250's clutch cable is infamous for inopportunistically snapping well within 10K kms)
- replace a rubber caliper bush (I believe that is what it is called) from the front disc

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-22.jpg

The service advisor offered me a choice of engine oils. The Suzuki Ecstar oils have been tried and tested. The fully synthetic Motul 300 V2 is an excellent oil but is dreadfully expensive. The fully synthetic Motul 7100 was the third option. My friends have reported excellent results after pouring it in the KTM 390 engines, so I was keen to see what it would do in the tamer Suzuki 250 powerplant.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-23.jpg

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-24.jpg

After removing and checking the air filter, the service advisor suggested that I replace it, as the previous one had gotten dirty. As for the rubber bush, I was told that Suzuki didnt offer the part as a spare. Only the full braking unit was offered by the company. All it took was a quick phone call to F Motors, who confirmed that they had it in stock. So, there was nothing to worry about.

Below is the breakup of the service bill. If the GST numbers dont immediately make sense, it is because the clutch cable was billed at 14% GST, while everything else was billed at 9% GST.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-suzuki-bill.jpg

The cost of the first service was Rs 814 (Ecstar fully synthetic oil & no labour charges)
The cost of the second service was Rs 936 (Ecstar fully synthetic oil & no labour charges. The cost of spares had gone up a little).
The cost of the third service was Rs 1,146.96 (Ecstar fully synthetic oil & air filter was replaced. No labour charges) .
The cost of the fourth service was Rs 2,769 (Motul 7100 fully synthetic oil & air filter was replaced. Labour charges included).

Since I was last at the Bike Zone, the lead mechanic has changed. So too has the showroom manager and the main service advisor! The new mechanic took his time but the work was done carefully. The service costs are quite reasonable as well. Only the billing took quite some time to get done with, but that is down to Suzuki's laborious processes and IT systems. There is little that the service advisors can do to speed that aspect up. Overall, this was another positive service experience with a Suzuki dealership.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th April 2024, 21:09   #259
Distinguished - BHPian

Quick Pit Stop at F Motors

Now that the 4th service was done at the Bike Zone dealership, it was time for another quick visit to F Motors in Cochin. They are easily the best place to go to for any superbike (now dont come and ask me if the GSXRRR 250 counts as a superbike ....) related work in the city.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-41.jpg
Superbike brothers-in-arms

The only two things which I needed to be done were
- replace the rubber caliper bush from the front disc
- replace the front brake fluid

The rubber bush was probably chewed or scratched by a stray animal. The below part was an easily swapped out.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-42.jpg
Wonder what cat or dog caused this

The brake fluid was replaced and we checked for any air bubbles.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-44.jpg
Fresh brake fluid makes such a noticeable difference to the motorcycling experience!

Here is Sanju's immaculate motorcycle, which is easily the neatest and most specced up Kawasaki Ninja 300 that I have ever seen.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-43.jpg
P.S - Do you spot the little gold bits on the bike?

A quick test ride later, I knew that the Suzuki GSXRRRRRR 250 was all set for the upcoming 550 km solo journey. More on that in the next post. This was probably the shortest service visit that I have had at F Motors. Needless to say, it was another top notch experience.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2024, 09:15   #260
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Quick Pit Stop at F Motors

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post

The rubber bush was probably chewed or scratched by a stray animal. The below part was an easily swapped out.

Attachment 2593052
Wonder what cat or dog caused this
The rubber bush from Bajaj fits most of the TVS and all Bajaj bikes' brake caliper. Check if it fits your bike too. Costs 20 bucks. Any decent bike spare parts shop will have it.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th April 2024, 11:12   #261
BHPian

Re: Fourth Service Experience at Bike Zone

Quote:

Last month, I took the Suzuki GSXRRR 250 for its fourth service to the Bike Zone, Vytilla. The service advisor asked me to bring it by 09:00 but to nobody's surprise, the showroom and the adjoining SVC were still to be opened well after that time. Outside of the regular service, there were 2 things which I wanted to be done
Back in 2016 when I had the gixxer 155, had a similar experience at the SVC. They told me to reach at this time and I did, the SVC was opened and the service manager noted down what to work on besides the general services and told me to come at around 5 pm to collect the bike.

As a teenager back then who got his first bike, I reached the svc again on time, hoping to take my beloved out for a short late night ride along with my cousin, but it ended up very badly. Up on reaching the I saw the bike wasn't even taken in for servicing with the mech asking me why I am here. They started working on the bike and seemed like some miscommunication between the manager and the mech that they completely forgot about my bike. This was the last time I visited the svc as back then there was only one near my area and trusted my local mech afterwards.
shadowrider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th April 2024, 16:26   #262
Distinguished - BHPian

Ride to Bangalore

With the Suzuki GSXRRRRRRRRRR 250 in top shape, I was all ready to hit some familiar highways and ride to Bangalore. The key to enjoying this gentlemanly sports tourer is to ride to its strengths, while calmly enjoying everything that it offers. While I was in Kerala, I did occasionally take advantage of some of the inviting stretches between Trichur and the border, if only to let the motorcycle stretch its legs out. For most of the ride, I maintained a steady 90 kmph (indicated) which is the exact spot at which the motorcycle is the smoothest. Anything faster than that is a piece of cake for the capable little Suzuki but vibrations begin to creep in, which is exactly what you dont want when you have a 550 km / 10 hour solo interstate motorcycle ride.

One oft overlooked aspect of this 250 cc motorcycle is the fact that it is extremely frugal with fuel! I only had to fill up once on the entire ride between Cochin and Bangalore. A couple of weeks ago, I had the opportunity to ride the fabulous Suzuki VStrom 650 for a full day and its safe to say that I had forgotten how thirsty middleweight motorcycles and full fledged sports bikes can get! The overall mileage of the Suzuki GSXRR 250 since day 1 is 34.96 kmpl.

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-1.jpg
Soon after crossing Trichur

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-2.jpg
Nearing Walayar

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-3.jpg
Phew! Its getting hot!

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-4.jpg
Half way between Salem and Bangalore

Suzuki Gixxer SF 250 Ownership Review-5.jpg
Well, hello there!
neil.jericho is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 13:12   #263
BHPian

My SF250 which is just 5 months old, 6200 kms is refusing to start in the morning and evening. The issue started immediately after the second service which was done three weeks ago. I visited Autonity Suzuki service center in Pune last week. The service advisor told me the issue is with some sensor (which sensor he didn't tell) and that the issue is common in BS6 bikes. They temporarily fixed it and assured me that it will be replaced if this happened again.

Two days later today, again I had to bump start my bike in the morning. Upon visiting the service center, a different service advisor attended me and confirmed that the issue is with the battery because the bike makes noise while engine ON/OFF switch is pressed and the screen also turns OFF and ON. I am asked to wait for a few days for the replacement battery. How can a battery die within five months when my bike is not idle for long periods and I am also turning OFF the ignition while at traffic lights?
HarshGtR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd April 2024, 20:50   #264
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
With the Suzuki GSXRRRRRRRRRR 250 in top shape...., I maintained a steady 90 kmph (indicated) which is the exact spot at which the motorcycle is the smoothest. Anything faster than that is a piece of cake for the capable little Suzuki but vibrations begin to creep in, which is exactly what you dont want when you have a 550 km / 10 hour solo interstate motorcycle ride.
Indeed Neil. My Strom is at its smoothest in around 100 to 110 kmph and beyond that, buzziness creeps in at footrest for the most part, but on the tank (fuel cap and periphery) there is absolutely zero vibrations, even at that speed. Super steady, zilch vibes on the tank -- was thoroughly impressed. If only I had the liberty to speak about the Duke and my ex-Hima at that speed would be a sacrilege..

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarshGtR View Post
My SF250 which is just 5 months old, 6200 kms is refusing to start in the morning and evening. The issue started immediately after the second service which was done three weeks ago. I visited Autonity Suzuki service center in Pune last week. The service advisor told me the issue is with some sensor (which sensor he didn't tell) and that the issue is common in BS6 bikes. They temporarily fixed it and assured me that it will be replaced if this happened again.

Two days later today, again I had to bump start my bike in the morning. Upon visiting the service center, a different service advisor attended me and confirmed that the issue is with the battery because the bike makes noise while engine ON/OFF switch is pressed and the screen also turns OFF and ON. I am asked to wait for a few days for the replacement battery. How can a battery die within five months when my bike is not idle for long periods and I am also turning OFF the ignition while at traffic lights?
If your vehicle starts by a "dhakka" or bump/push start then your vehicle technically is fine. If there is a sensor issue per se, the engine shouldn't come alive even with the "dhakka" start. Perhaps it all points to a faulty battery or improperly secured battery terminals. Topping it up with screen going dim when cranking is a prime indicator the battery is or has failed.

OE batteries are made to a cost. They simply either last or give up, just like that. Would recommend you to replace your battery under warranty -- in the process, get your charging voltage checked, and your bike should be absolutely fine.

Take it easy, and good luck!

Cheers!
VJ
VijayAnand1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks