Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th January 2023, 12:52   #16
BHPian

Re: Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

Having owned a pre facelift 2015 dio and 2020 access , I would just close my eyes and go for the Access, for the following reasons,
  • ITs relatively light weight (101 - 104)kg
  • Has better suspension than honda's(they didn't even have telescopic forks till the recent facelift update mind you!!)
  • The same engine reliability
  • For sure have better breaks , especially the top variants with Disc and combi brakes.
  • The seats are more spacious, wider and easily accommodate 2 persons
  • If you are a tall person Access suits you more
DhinaStark94 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 19:36   #17
Senior - BHPian

Thanks everyone for the advice. Rather than quoting everyone individually, I'll just reply below

Basic electric scooter - Just no. The quality and ability of these are just not that great, I would rather get an electric bicycle or conversion kit instead for low speed - low range stuff. I might get one anyways but that's a separate thing

Jupiter : While as a package it might be decent, my own experience after a few rides is that the bare mechanicals are a bit coarse and unrefined and scooter is a bit bulky, even though that leads to better storage space. Also generally feedback seems to be very 50-50 so I think it's out of contention.

More premium scooters might have better styling or good to have add ons but for my use case it's not really going to add anything. Same with 125cc options other than the Access - don't need the extra power or pickup.
The only "premium" features I'm interested in as mentioned are disc brakes and matching 12 inchers which are unfortunately unavailable in the category I'm looking at.

As such for now it's a toss up between the Access and Activa only. Might opt for the premium versions of these if they make sense and will decide after a test ride of each if the showrooms deign to afford me one.

I think I'll also wait for the BS6 phase 2 deadline to pass in March in case there are some upgrades maybe ?
Mortis is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 21:57   #18
KPR
BANNED

In my town in TN I'm seeing a lot of Scooty Zest than Jupiter or Activa. Do take a look and TD of it. Same engine as that of Jupiter but light weight and compact footprint.

Last edited by KPR : 29th January 2023 at 21:58.
Old 29th January 2023, 22:34   #19

Riding 6G Activa 110cc from last 8-9 months. It is one of the reliable option, with butter smooth Honda engine. Truly Fill it shut it & forget it experience. No issues with service availability or parts. I clock around 54+ kmpl without a sweat doing regular city duties. Highly recommended. I had my fair share of experience with other scooters like Mahindra, TVS, Bajaj etc. You can't go wrong with Honda. You may also look for 125cc version if you need more power.
GivethThyBeans is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 23:01   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post

As such for now it's a toss up between the Access and Activa only. Might opt for the premium versions of these if they make sense and will decide after a test ride of each if the showrooms deign to afford me one.

I think I'll also wait for the BS6 phase 2 deadline to pass in March in case there are some upgrades maybe ?
Have 2 Activa 110cc and one 125cc at home. My advice is just go for Activa 110cc. It is as reliable as a pet for the uneventful rides. And avoid Activa 125cc at all costs. It has too many issues and not worth the spend.
gupta_chd is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 23:08   #21
BHPian

I was in a similar conundrum while looking out for scooter for my wife to replace her 7 year old Activa I. I went on the basis of this forum suggestion and took Jupiter ZX disc eyes closed in September 2021. Since there was no Jupiter 125, I couldn’t buy one. However for my BIL I coaxed him to buy Jupiter 125 and boy, he and his wife literally love the ride every day.

During their recent trip to Mysore they rented out Access 125 and they had horrendous experience. It’s exhaust note is very coarse and grainy. No scooter other than Jupiter or from TVS stable rides on 12” front and back. Larger wheel base makes the ride more fine tuned instead of mediocre ride quality of Honda with 12” in front and 10” in rear

Hence, please do back to back TR of Activa, Access and Jupiter over potholed roads and then you will realise that Jupiter is the winner! And if you decide to go with Jupiter, please book 125 cc variant
MDED is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 06:55   #22

I booked a jupiter 125 over the weekend and hope to get the delivery today.

Why

1 Boot can swallow a laptop back pack and other things too
2 gas charged shock in the rear gives a smooth ride over the infamous bangalore potholes
3 the fuel tank is below the footboard and it makes a weight distribution really even and easy to ride and control.
4 really large seats give your backyard good support
5 braking is very nice
bbhartia is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2023, 19:04   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Matching 12" inch wheels front and rear

So far I'm thinking:
Budget option : Dio
All rounder safe bet : Activa 6g
Premiumish option : Suzuki Access 125

I have not ridden the latest Activas with telescopic front suspension. All the previous Activas had really bumpy ride quality, especially when riding single.

Access feels really peppy and gives great FE too. But not that FNG friendly compared to Activas, as some parts are not easily available outside the service centers.

As far as I remember, Jupiter had the best ride quality among these 3. Also it comes with 12 inch wheel on both ends. Though I am not fan of the refinement of Jupiter 125 (Have not ridden 110 Jupiter much). On Jupiter 125, felt vibrations in the seat at speeds around 30 to 40 kmph, where Activa and Access were silky smooth.

I still have our 2004 Activa with me, and it is one of the easiest automobile that I ever owned in terms of maintenance. Except regular oil change and occasional battery replacements, not other maintenance expense and all parts are still available in almost all the spare parts shop. However 2 recent gearless scooters purchased in immediate family were access 125, mainly because, at that time, the suspension of Activas were really hard (Good that they switched to telescopic forks recently)
Old 31st January 2023, 01:45   #24
BHPian

I just want to ask something - what is the reason that you want to replace your Activa?

Since your running is so less, I feel retaining your scooter could also be a very good option if your needs aren't going to be very different.

My dad has an Activa from 2004 and his running is as little as yours and he maintains it very regularly and it still works like a charm. Whether I agree or not, his mechanic (who works in Honda A.S.S) is of the opinion that the older models last really well too.
freakmuzik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 02:43   #25
Senior - BHPian

I recently purchased Access and my usage is similar to OP - very less yearly running, will be used mainly for local errands and do not care much about fancy features. We have Acitva110 in my hometown and Access at my brother's place. Went with Access as I find the ride and handling much better which makes it more fun to drive. Found the Activa125 little bulky vs Access.

Test drove the Jupiter125 as well but dropped it for the same reason as OP - feels bulky and mechanicals /long term reliability may not be as great as Activa/Access. It's my personal opinion and may be it is also as reliable but not sure with new feautres like front fuel filling (leak prone) and fuel tank at the footrest (long term reliability). Also found the build quality is not upto the mark in certain areas vs the Honda/Suzuki so it may not age well.

I tend to keep vehicles for a long time and hence long term ownership is important for me. In my opinion, one can't go wrong with either Activa or Access and it boils down to personal preference.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 31st January 2023 at 02:54.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 02:52   #26
BHPian

My suggestion is to ditch Honda options completely. Their quality has taken a nose dive and the ride is unsettling. I would recommend Yamaha. Suzuki Access has some niggles and with TVS, its always a hit or a miss. If you get a good one, it would absolutely serve you well or if you unfortunately land on a lemon, don't expect much help from TVS.
Old 31st January 2023, 09:00   #27

Go for jupiter 125. Bought one for a friend just last week. And we own two older jupiters, niggle free. Suspension is excellent, seating and ride quality is very good. Front fueling is very convenient. But the enormous boot space steals the show!
There's very little to separate Jupiter, Access and Activia, which all have their pros and cons.
Other options are too fancy and unnecessary for your requirements.
Old 31st January 2023, 09:48   #28
BHPian

I own a TVS Jupiter and I hate to say it , the satisfaction with the vehicle is a hit or a miss. I also own a 2006 Model Honda Dio and I still prefer that over the year and half old Jupiter.

Following are the problems I have faced in the Jupiter
1. The key knob keeps getting stuck every now and then. Since it is the same key for opening all of them it can get a little tricky at times.
2. The fuel gauge indicator is malfunctioning , had to replace it on warranty but same issue again.
3. There is a weird noise when you turn in the scooter in an angle .

All the 3 issues were repeatedly called out with the service executive but they were as clueless as I was .

Doing a vis-a-vis comparison with Honda Dio which is more than 15 years old , it beats the Jupiter in every aspect from the initial pick up , the fuel efficiency , ride quality etc.

Please do test drive multiple times before finalising one.
Old 31st January 2023, 10:22   #29

According to me look no further and buy the Honda Activa 125, it is one of the most well rounded scooters in the market. I bought a BS6 Fi Jupiter 110 ZX two years ago and I sometimes regret making that decision.

1. Jupiters nowadays have encountered a rather harmless but beyond irritating problem, after clock a few thousand kilometres the plates in the catalytic converter of the exhaust is detached and creates a huge clunky noises so much so that one can hear it coming from meters. So far 4 people who I personally know have also encountered this problem. Only solution to this is to change the whole exhaust.
2. Jupiter being known for it's comfortable ride and soft suspension can get a bit bouncy sometimes.
3. TVS spares parts and service are pretty expensive compared to other brands.
4. 110cc pot on the Jupiter and infact on any other scooter is something you would reconsider in a long run. Believe me or not 125cc units are way smoother but don't feel lacking when under strain. I live on Goa and we have a lot of inclines and declines in our roads where one can easily tell the difference. Jupiter's 110cc unit under hard acceleration gets loud and vibrates like a bat out of hell under your seat making your feeling like it would exit the stratosphere anytime soon.

My cousin brother, my two close friends recently bought the Honda Activa 125 which assured me that it's the one to go for.
1. It's possesses a balanced suspension and properly comfortable large seat.
2. The 125cc unit is well equipped with power and smooth power delivery, gone are the days when it used to fizzle down at the acceleration pickup.
3. Enough tech and features like the side stand engine cut off, auto stop/start etc, but not overloaded and overflowing with unnecessary Bluetooth connection, touch screens etc
4. Honda reliability and piece of mind. Large dealer and service centre base across India. Need I say more?
Old 31st January 2023, 10:32   #30

Go for a 150cc+scooter. Here's why!
This might be slightly out of line here but I had similar requirements in the past but with increased focus on safety and avoid sliding at any cost no matter how hard we braked(had some really bad accidents recently).
Why 150cc?
Indian government mandates ABS in vehicles with 150cc+ engines.
We chose Vespa SXL 150 at the time(due to limited options) and it has been a good choice. The sales people tried hard to convince us for the 125 but we didn't budge.
Did you look at the Yamaha Aerox?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks