Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2024, 16:16   #61
RGK
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

I bought Access in 2009, rode it for 10 years, and replaced it with another Access in 2019.

These are the pluses of the scooter.
  • There are literally no maintenance costs (except regular oil service and brake pads).
  • The ride quality is superior.
  • The scooter is taller than others and gives confidence.
RGK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 19:10   #62

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I would also like to not spend a lot so the only contendors are..

Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125
Hi,
As mentioned above Honda Activa is default choice, even I cannot agree more. I have not used Access but only heard positives.

I own TVS Jupiter ZX 2016 model done 25k, bought against general opinion of family(esp. father) for my sister who hardly used it for 6 months during her last semester in college. Although a lot has changed in newer generations but deep down company DNA will reflect in the product.

My brother-in-law has Activa 6G with remote key, after using it for couple of weeks and my prior experience of older generations I list my observations below.

Jupiter Pros vs Activa:
1. Jupiter is lighter and more agile to use than Activa(bought because primary user at that time was my younger sister).
2. Activa and Jupiter both offer telescopic suspension at front but on loose surface as you turn the front tyre starts to loose grip due to heavier back in Activa, from my personal experience.
3. Petrol refill lid in Jupiter is single action and easier to use, unlike Activa where it's 2-stage in 6G(lid is opened by three way button and then unscrew the petrol filler cap which results in rider or pillion getting down to refuel).
4. Under seat storage area has always been better in Jupiter.
5. Jupiter ZX was bought at approx. 62k and Activa was approx 64.5k, remember this was 2016 and base Jupiter model was 59k on road.
6. TVS offered 5 years default warranty at no extra charge and delivered the vehicle immediately.
7. I have always found brakes in Activa inadequate for the weight of vehicle whereas in Jupiter brakes are slightly better and progressive in action.

Activa Pros vs Jupiter:
1. Jupiter has vibration which are tiring in long rides whereas 15 year old 70k run Activa will run butter smooth if maintained well, that's Honda.
2. Jupiter's seat is very odd in design, rider and pillion will keep on sliding forward when brakes are applied and this results in back pain in shoulder blade area. Activa seat design is simply great for both rider and pillion.
3. Jupiter's seat cushion is soft which results in sore behind in longer rides, no such issue in Activa.
4. Activa 6G has MRF tyres vs Jupiter has TVS tyres, TVS tyres are extremely poor in quality from experience.
5. Except horn switch, all switches have been replaced in Jupiter because they failed, even the horn button has some rust issue which was incorrectly diagnosed to faulty battery when not used for extended period resulting in irregular sounding horn, I have used abused Activas where switch gear worked perfectly.
6. Activa 6G and previous generations can reach 80 kmph easily with slight strain on engine but in Jupiter the vibrations will let you experience roadway's bus.
7. Handle lock assembly mounting screws of Jupiter tends to get loose with time and the whole front has to be removed to tighten it up, never faced such issue in Activa.
8. Jupiter's exhaust pipe tends to rust.
9. Jupiter's original spark plug went kaput out of no where withing first month, changed to Champion brand, this went out within few weeks, TVS service technician suggested engine head gasket leak causing this, I took a chance and went with Bosch spark plug this time as I could not muster the courage to get engine opened on new vehicle and get an earful from father, never faced this issue again.

Activa 6G which I used recently had remote key, which basically works as keyless system, vehicle detects the key and you rotate a gas burner type knob for unlocking, seat/petrol lid open mode, ignition, I can't remember any more option, but I am skeptical about low battery in remote key (there was no option of physical key in that remote) and vehicle unable to detect it.

In short Activa will age better and that's the only reason it sells approx. 3 times more than Jupiter.
If today I have to buy a scooter then Activa it is.

I request to you be vigilant while buying used 2 wheeler or 4 wheeler, prices are literally through sky, made a lateral upgrade recently and paid through nose for once in a blue moon deal, until the deal is with someone known, just don't go for it no matter how tempting it might be.
Bhuvan is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th March 2024, 07:01   #63
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
I am in market for a scooter, I am still contemplating between new and used as my usage will be around 10 Kms on weekdays (max 14 Kms when kid's school reopens).
In this 14 kms ride, my kid (10 years) will be pillion for 2 Kms and rest of the 12 Kms (this includes office commute), I will be alone.
The scooter may be used on some weekends for ride with wife to market and such.
Right now, my wife doesn't know how to ride scooter but I have a feeling she will want to learn.

I don't want any fancy gadgets or bluetooth or smart features. For me, the scooter is a tool for taking me from point A to B. I have a car already for entire family so I never will use the scooter for more than one pillion.

Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125

I would like opinions of people here who can suggest what is a good ride for me.

I am also considering used but I don't have knowledge to assess good from bad so I am still contemplating.
Considering your usage scenario i.e. 10 km to 14 km per day and an annual usage of less than 5,000 km, I would suggest you get a well-maintained used scooter under 7 years old when considering used, I would recommend Honda, be it Activa, Activa 125, Aviator, Grazia or Dio. Honda is the market leader in the scooter segment for a few reasons, one is rock-solid reliability, two is a vast number of service stations, and three is the easy availability of spares and parts.

Now, if you are going for new, I would still recommend the Honda Activa itself, if you want a slightly more powerful 125 cc scooter, then the Suzuki Access 125 is the way to go. If you want to go out of the box, then the best consideration is an electric scooter, in that the OLA S1 X+ 3 kWh or the Ola S1 X 3 kWh are suitable options, but mind you fit and finish, panel gaps etc are some of its major drawbacks. At the moment, till March 31st 2024, the S1 X+ 3 kWh scooter comes for Rs. 96,116 on-road Mumbai (Rs.84,999 ex-showroom).

Take a test ride, take feedback from customers nearby on the service and after-sales support and then make your decision!

Hope this Helps!
bijims is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th March 2024, 11:59   #64
BHPian

Quote:
I am in market for a scooter
Try out Honda Activa 125 bs6. It may be the perfect scooter for you. It's extremely smooth, silent and torquey. It's suspension is tuned for comfort. Doing 60-70 kph is effortless even with a pillion, it can even cruise at 80 kph. It's really fuel efficient too, gives minimum 55 kpl. Above all, it's extremely reliable and ages really well.

If you are looking at used market, look for a well maintained Access 125 bs4 or a Jupiter 110. Both of them are fairly comfortable. Never go for bs4 or older Honda's with those trailing link front suspension, they are very uncomfortable.
RD410 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2024, 00:40   #65
BHPian

Quote:
I would like opinions of people here who can suggest what is a good ride for me.
Any particular reason for not considering EVs?

• It is rumored that Activa EV might be launched this year!
  • Ather’s family oriented scoot, Rizta is announced and launching soon.
  • It’s a superlative experience to ride an EV.
  • If you urgently need a comfortable and reliable EV from known brand, TVS iQube has all good qualities of Jupiter and improves on the only major shortcoming i.e. vibrations.
  • Ather, Chetak and OLA are also established players, each offering unique EV options.
  • Yamaha has invested in River, an EV scooter startup with a recent launch Indie; having decent reviews.
  • Hero has a great option in Vida, its the only one from established brand providing removable batteries.

Unless there are charging problems in the locality or you have >80kms daily run, EV scooters make a very strong case.

If it has to be a petrol scooter take test drives of all 3 options, if possible multiple times. May be rent/loan from friends each for a week and see which one you like, because everyone’s perception of something is unique, and one should make a choice based on their own experience.
Quote:
My perception:
Ride quality and features = Jupiter
Reliability and NVH = Activa
Powerful engine and balanced product = Access
All the best, let us know your decision and shortlisting process

Last edited by sapien : 18th March 2024 at 00:47.
sapien is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2024, 16:10   #66
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhuvan View Post
Hi,

Jupiter Pros vs Activa:

In short Activa will age better and that's the only reason it sells approx. 3 times more than Jupiter.
If today I have to buy a scooter then Activa it is.
I can relate to everything you said. I own a 2015 Dio and my cousin sister has a 2015 Wego. Wego offers incredible ride quality, motorcycle like stability, braking and good initial pickup. But there is no power post 65 kph, so it's very hard to complete overtaking manouvers confidently. Lack of top end makes Wego feels out place on highway's. And Wego is not exactly thrash-able or reliable. Switches stop working after some years, it's carburettor starts giving overflow issues which lead to spark plug fouling, etc. Overall an extremely fun scooter but not truly reliable.

Dio on the other hand has the worst ride quality of any scooter ever launched in India. It's suspension is so stiff that it will rattle every bone in your body. But that stiffness and the light weight handlebar (because headlamp is on the fairing) makes this scoot extremely agile. Engine performance is exactly opposite of Wego. Initial is weak, but there is strong surge of power from 40 and it lasts all the way till 80 kph.This strong top end gives a lot of confidence while overtaking on highways and the scoot can easily cruise at 70 kph all day. The best thing about Dio is that you can thrash it, abuse it to the core, but the Honda engine performs all the same. The durability of it's engine is just something else!

Both Honda and TVS are fun in their own ways. But TVS is not yet as reliable.
RD410 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd March 2024, 21:21   #67
BHPian

Slightly OT
Can someone recommend a good FNG for TVS Jupiter in South Bangalore. I am not happy with the overall service experience with Kubera TVS where the vehicle was given till recently.
Old 24th March 2024, 00:26   #68
BHPian

I had a Honda Activa in 2008, which I used for 2 years rigorously and then exchanged it with Suzuki Access 125 in 2010. The Activa at that time had a 100 cc engine, which lacked power and overtaking capabilities, with the heavy metal body of Activa. Secondly, there was no combi braking and the braking was a nightmare at times. I encountered may accidents due to this. Then in 2010 when I drove the Access 125 for the first time, I was amazed. Not only for the power it had, but also the overall ride quality and braking, especially with the combi braking system, which was introduced by Suzuki at that time.

I still have the same Access in 2024 as well. Met with some accidents during these 14 years, but nevertheless, the vehicle is excellent, I must say. Buttery smooth engine, good service with moderate costs and Suzuki is much more humble than Honda service centers. People do care about the quality of service they provide and it shows in each service of the vehicle. The seat and suspension being on the stiffer side, my wife still misses the ride comfort of Active, as a pillion rider.

I am now looking at changing the scooty, but honestly, after each service I have to defer that decision again and again. I have test driven several vehicles, the TVS Jupiter 125, Yamaha Fascino, Yamaha RayZR and the Honda Activa. I have also test driven the new Burgman 125 EX model as well as the new Ride Connect Suzuki Access.

I was delighted most by the Burgman and then followed by Access closely. The only problem being that Burgman having a seat height of 780 mm, made it difficult for my wife to occupy the pillion seat. In that way Access was better and even Activa was even better. I have to keep Burgman 125 EX in the wish list, because of it's abruptly high price, which does not justify the added features completely. The only advantage Activa has over Access is the silent start technology.

Activa has a lower power of 8.18 BHP than the Access, which has 8.7 BHP, but Activa has a better torque of 10.3 nm compared to Access's 10 nm. During my test ride, I felt Activa has a weird sudden pickup initially, but it dies out on higher speeds. Whereas, the Access has a much smoother acceleration and keeps pulling even on much higher speeds.

Handle of Activa is much heavier than Access, which makes it difficult to maneuver and sneak through the busy city traffic.

Overall, Suzuki Access is my primary choice than the Activa, in terms of ride quality and comfort. Burgman EX definitely stands apart, only if someone does not cares about the hefty price difference.

This is my personal experience which I thought of sharing in this forum. I will keep you posted once I change my vehicle.
indranilmuk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th March 2024, 11:30   #69

Quote:
I am in market for a scooter, I am still contemplating between new and used as my usage will be around 10 Kms on weekdays (max 14 Kms when kid's school reopens).
In this 14 kms ride, my kid (10 years) will be pillion for 2 Kms and rest of the 12 Kms (this includes office commute), I will be alone.
The scooter may be used on some weekends for ride with wife to market and such.
Right now, my wife doesn't know how to ride scooter but I have a feeling she will want to learn.

I don't want any fancy gadgets or bluetooth or smart features. For me, the scooter is a tool for taking me from point A to B. I have a car already for entire family so I never will use the scooter for more than one pillion.

Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125
My friend was also torn between these 3 choices, but i suggested him to look at Jupiter, specifically because it is intended to be a load carrier for his shop, and so he needed extra space. He bought the second top Jupiter with alloys. Except one issue that he faced right after delivery, everything is good. That issue was scooter would randomly stop after riding for 3-4 kilometres, and the issue was some lose connection related to stop start system. Compared to my aviator, scooter definately felt more punchy, comfort was very good and underseat space is plenty. He gets around 44kmpl in mix of highway and city, maintaining speed of 50-60 on highways.
Btw one question, what's your budget? If your usage is so less, why not look at electrics? Would suggest you try ather 450s, iqube or the upcoming rizta before making a decision.
Old 25th March 2024, 12:24   #70
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flechazo View Post
Btw one question, what's your budget? If your usage is so less, why not look at electrics? Would suggest you try ather 450s, iqube or the upcoming rizta before making a decision.
EV makes more sense when usage is high. Otherwise the premium you pay for EV over ICE does not justify. Moreover, low running scenario (prolonged idle periods) could have adverse impact on battery life.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 25th March 2024 at 12:29.
Aviator_guy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2024, 15:41   #71
BHPian

Quote:
I am in market for a scooter, I am still contemplating between new and used as my usage will be around 10 Kms on weekdays (max 14 Kms when kid's school reopens)....
I am owner of Activa 3G for last 10 years. Total mileage must be around 20k (speedometer was not working for around 1.5 years ). You will not go wrong by choosing Activa. A true zero-maintenance experience for me. Used for short runs - goes to service may be once every 18 months (just to ensure it runs smoothly), costs less than 1k per service. This thing just runs - no demands, no quirks, no issues. Only time I had to invest money in it was due to an accident where my front wheel was damaged. I purchased a 2016 model for my brother in 2021 - same outcome. It sells in numbers for a reason - you wont regret it.
Prashant_BHP is online now   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks