Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st January 2023, 14:10   #31
BHPian

Re: Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

Recommending , Jupiter 125 CC although you have ruled it out.

I was in similar boat three months back . I went for Jupiter because -

(1) Big Boot , can store two helmets or number of grocery bags . (2) Two disc brakes , gives you confidence while riding. (3) Suspension is tuned for comfortable and smooth ride ; Placement of the fuel tank evens out the weight distribution - so easy to maneuver . (4)
Two parents and a kid can accommodate securely , for short rides. (5) Auto cut off if idle

Just to add, I find sound levels of Access 125 and Jupiter 125 at similar level . Ride quality is also at par .
baarish84 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2023, 20:49   #32
BHPian

May someone please comment on new Hero Xoom though it is 110cc
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:40   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
May someone please comment on new Hero Xoom though it is 110cc
This is from my point of view; let's see what it offers as unique features:
  1. 12 X 12 wheels in 110cc
  2. LED headlamps with industry first corner lighting during turns
  3. Bluetooth connectivity
  4. i3S (basically engine stop/start when idle)
  5. Front disc brake
  6. Fully digital console

Now let's which competitor offers what
Bluetooth connectivity, alloy wheels, fully digital speedo, engine idling stop (i3S), front disc brake etc are available on Dio (sport) & Activa 125. Basically, except points #1 & the cornering LED of #2 and ofcourse the unique look everything else is available on all other 110cc scooters in the market. And if one considers Jupiter 110 ZX Disc variant, all these features are available barring the cornering LED of #2 & wider tires of 12" (Jupiter still has 12X12 wheels).

Coming to the price point, Xoom has been priced really competitive & have used the price in TN-Chennai as benchmark for comparing Dio, Jupiter & Xoom to deduce Xoom is priced ~2K more than Dio while 4K less than Jupiter on ex-showroom on the comparable variants; and a whopping 7K more for the top end variant of Jupiter.

Did I find it interesting? The answer comes from Hero's own backyard. I find the semi analog-digital console in Maestro & Pleasure XTEC+ more appealing than fully digital. When compared with Pleasure+ XTEC, all the features such as i3S, LED (barring cornering), Bluetooth connectivity are available but lacks 12 inch wheels & disc brakes. Best part? Pleasure weighs 3 Kg less & costs ~4-6K less than Xoom.

Whether Xoom is an attempt to catch up with the market or lead the market is something I'm perplexed as well & leave this question to the readers.
aargee is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 08:54   #34
Senior - BHPian

I am wondering about the Bluetooth enabled digital console. Isn't it distracting for the driver to look down every time there is notification or to look at turn by turn indicator? We may argue that cars also have a display, however in car, viewing angle is manageable but on a scooter, driver has to completely take eyes off the road and look downwards at the cosole. Has no one thought of safety aspect?

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 2nd February 2023 at 08:58.
Old 2nd February 2023, 09:51   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
I am wondering about the Bluetooth enabled digital console
The Bluetooth facility is primarily enticed totally towards sales people & delivery agents who can ride hands free while attending the Customer calls.
Old 2nd February 2023, 10:01   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aargee View Post
The Bluetooth facility is primarily enticed totally towards sales people & delivery agents who can ride hands free while attending the Customer calls.
It will be even more distracting for such folks, isn't it? Safety is for everyone and by legalising such technology, we are not helping in reducing distracted driving!
Old 2nd February 2023, 11:09   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
It will be even more distracting for such folks, isn't it? Safety is for everyone and by legalising such technology, we are not helping in reducing distracted driving!
I've no comment on that aspect; however, I tend to deduce from events around that the organizations/govt has eventually realized it is inevitable attending phone calls while working/driving/riding & as usual instead of enforcement, they've eased out things a bit by enabling to ride without having to sandwich the phone between the cheeks & helmet/shoulders.
Old 2nd February 2023, 16:42   #38
BHPian

Quote:
leave this question to the readers...
Appreciate and many thanks for bringing out such finer comparable points. One point to note is lack of external fuel filling which can be a deal breaker for many.
Old 2nd February 2023, 20:15   #39
Senior - BHPian

I back here just to post what was being discussed in the recent posts the Hero Xoom !!

Just popped up in my news feed and seems to tick most of the boxes.
Only thing I need to know is what the Hero scooters are like and spares availability in general. Mainly in terms of reliability, etc. This would most likely be option 3 or might even edge out the Access. Hero bikes are overall pretty good if I'm not mistaken ? But their scooter (Maestro) doesn't seem all that popular although it is visible on the roads, moreso than the Yamahas i think.

Also another thing I wanted to ask. What's the scene like with modern FI scooters and FNG handling ? I'm guessing overall it's pretty much the same with what they can access and repair barring what has replaced the carb i.e. fuelling and tuning related stuff which IMO is a blessing. What about these started generator type thingies ?
Also, do these have an OBD2 port ?

Anyways no hurry for replacement as such, just that i would like to do it this year so I can wait a bit too
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2023, 20:43   #40
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
And avoid Activa 125cc at all costs. It has too many issues and not worth the spend.

Which model 125cc is this and what issues are you facing?
Curious as I'm considering buying a 125cc soon.
Old 2nd February 2023, 21:21   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by som9729 View Post
Which model 125cc is this and what issues are you facing?
This is Activa 125cc. 2016 model I guess. Suspension is jerky since beginning almost. The handlebar is very heavy and not stable despite taking to Honda service 3 times.

It's around 7 years, may be they have improved it now. Not sure. But not worth the spend. It's a low selling model in Activa lineup and not very successful I believe.
gupta_chd is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 08:36   #42
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I back here just to post what was being discussed in the recent posts the Hero Xoom !!
Quote:
Guys, you may want to take a look at this post that may or may not find useful, perhaps something to veer your thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupta_chd View Post
It's a low selling model in Activa lineup and not very successful I believe.
I'm very much inclined towards your thought as well; Activa is good in terms of 110cc, but not so with 125cc where there're 3 major players (Suzuki, Yamaha & TVS in no specific order) & I personally don't see any USP for Activa; to an extent even in 110cc as well
Old 3rd February 2023, 09:03   #43
Senior - BHPian

Activa110 does it job very well, long term ownership experience and reliability is legendary. Since it is mass market scooter, most people do not find any major incentive to go for 125cc model and pay more when the 110cc model does what is expected. Same trend reflects in the sales. Where as the 125cc segment is somehwhat of a premium (within mass market still) and people want most VFM product and performance which unfortunately the Acitva 125 is not. That's why the Suzuki Access125 (for retro looks and handling), TVS jupiter125 for practical features (biggest boot, front fuel filling etc) leave Activa 125cc behind which does not have major USP of its own other than being an elder sibling of 110.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 3rd February 2023 at 09:09.
Aviator_guy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2023, 09:21   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Guys, you may want to take a look at this post that may or may not find useful, perhaps something to veer your thoughts?
Interesting post. Thank you!
I missed the discussion there!

Only reason I was looking at a 125cc was disc brake keeping safety in mind.
And the Honda brand due to the excellent resale value.
Old 3rd February 2023, 10:23   #45
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only reason I was looking at a 125cc was disc brake keeping safety in mind
As a side note - a drum brake is more than sufficient for a ~8Bhp motor with ~8.8 Nm torque; the disc brake gives an edge for less maintenance both with work as well as cost in a long run over drum brake.
aargee is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks