Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th February 2023, 01:15   #46
BHPian

Re: Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

It seems like you have the same requirements as me. So I would suggest what I ended up buying four years ago after taking test rides of both Activa 110 and Access 125; go for Access.
Although I don’t have much experience as I have not even completed 5000 on the odo in these last four years but what I can tell you is that it offers a smoother ride than Activa (what I remember from my test rides), and takes the bad road much easier. On some days, when I have felt younger, I have taken it to its maximum speed and the manoeuvring in traffic is quite easier because of its relative smaller size. The combi brake system and front disc - which is your need, also instils a confidence at high speeds and works well too.
Only con of owning it could be a bad ASS, but it varies and you might get lucky there. Even Honda’s ASS is dwindling nowadays.
It’s a complete product in this price range. If I had to buy a scooter today, I would buy it again because of its simple and subtle looks, light weight, engine sound and suspension. Hope it helps.
Blacklisted is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 20:44   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
I don't ride very often or very far less than 2000km a year and rarely during peak summer and monsoons
Don't ride very fast or aggressively, speed rarely goes above 50-60 kmh so I'm happy with the overall power of the old Activas 110 too
Not too interested in fancy instrument clusters and so on as it's used short distances and for errands only so it won't add much value for me.
Exact same requirements for me. All though I have not taken a two wheeler on the streets of Mumbai ever, have to opt for one now.

I was happy with Bus # 11 [ walking ] but the requirement is to pick and drop the kid and taking the Ecosport for short runs is a big headache.
I was first smitten by the specs and value for money of TVS Jupiter, but going through the forum I was nudged towards Access. I will be booking the Access SE.
I was waiting for Burgmen EX with 12inch rear wheel, but do not feel paying the premium over access for just that.
narmad is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 20:54   #48
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by narmad View Post
Exact same requirements for me. All though I have not taken a two wheeler on the streets of Mumbai ever, have to opt for one now.

I was happy with Bus # 11 [ walking ] but the requirement is to pick and drop the kid and taking the Ecosport for short runs is a big headache.
I was first smitten by the specs and value for money of TVS Jupiter, but going through the forum I was nudged towards Access. I will be booking the Access SE.
I was waiting for Burgmen EX with 12inch rear wheel, but do not feel paying the premium over access for just that.
I had similar requirements and recently purchased Access base model. Activa is too boring and Jupiter is feature rich but poor long term reliability. Very happy with the Access!
Aviator_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2023, 22:22   #49
BHPian

The Wego was perfect, slotted in between the Scooty and Jupiter. Stupid TVS killed it off to promote the Jupiter. It would've been the perfect scooter in this case.
Old 3rd October 2023, 16:56   #50
BHPian

I'm in the market for a scooter.

My usage is limited to 15 km/day. I'll have a pillion 40% of the time. I have to ride through pothole-filled roads.

Ruled out electric scooter because of this (Does switching to an electric scooter make sense for our usage pattern?).

I have ruled out TVS scooters due to loud noise. Have not considered Yamaha and Hero scooters. Yamaha as the service center is far away, and Hero because they are not known to make great scooters (Xoom may be an exception, but I don't want to experiment).

I have not considered Activa 125 due to a lot of problems reported on the web.

Have shortlisted Access 125 and Activa 6g DLX.

I am inclined to buy Activa 6g as it has a butter smooth engine, better suspension, nearness of the service center, and because every household seems to have one.

Access has stiff suspension, the service center is far away, and the engine is not so smooth. However, I like the extra power and torque it has and better braking.

Should I go ahead with Activa 6g DLX?
Old 3rd October 2023, 17:45   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravradha View Post
I'm in the market for a scooter.

My usage is limited to 15 km/day. I'll have a pillion 40% of the time. I have to ride through pothole-filled roads.

Ruled out electric scooter because of this (Does switching to an electric scooter make sense for our usage pattern?).

I have ruled out TVS scooters due to loud noise. Have not considered Yamaha and Hero scooters. Yamaha as the service center is far away, and Hero because they are not known to make great scooters (Xoom may be an exception, but I don't want to experiment).

I have not considered Activa 125 due to a lot of problems reported on the web.

Have shortlisted Access 125 and Activa 6g DLX.

I am inclined to buy Activa 6g as it has a butter smooth engine, better suspension, nearness of the service center, and because every household seems to have one.

Access has stiff suspension, the service center is far away, and the engine is not so smooth. However, I like the extra power and torque it has and better braking.

Should I go ahead with Activa 6g DLX?
You can't go wrong with Activa (even the 110cc). If not Access/Jupiter /Activa125 then the one you have shortlisted looks good.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 11:17   #52
BHPian

I am in market for a scooter, I am still contemplating between new and used as my usage will be around 10 Kms on weekdays (max 14 Kms when kid's school reopens).
In this 14 kms ride, my kid (10 years) will be pillion for 2 Kms and rest of the 12 Kms (this includes office commute), I will be alone.
The scooter may be used on some weekends for ride with wife to market and such.
Right now, my wife doesn't know how to ride scooter but I have a feeling she will want to learn.

I don't want any fancy gadgets or bluetooth or smart features. For me, the scooter is a tool for taking me from point A to B. I have a car already for entire family so I never will use the scooter for more than one pillion.

I have been checking teambhp threads and also sub-reddit indianbikes. And from observation on road, what I found was that activa is like a default scooter for people. So much so that "Activa" is synonymous with "Scooter". 8 out of 10 are activa on road.
I am not sure if activa is that good or it is like people trying to decide on scooter, after much deliberation get fed up and say "Choddo yaar...activa hi le lete hain"

I have not driven any scooter except Hero Maestro Edge which my brother owns, and I take to my office today. I used to ride Unicorn bike 10 years back.

I would also like to not spend a lot so the only contendors are..

Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125

I know activa sells most but I am reading good opinions about Suzuki access from people and TVS jupiter is like having more features and that 2 helmet storage and all but seems it takes a hit on mileage and service of TVS is expensive and in general scooter has vibrations and such, that is what I read.

I would like opinions of people here who can suggest what is a good ride for me.

I am also considering used but I don't have knowledge to assess good from bad so I am still contemplating.
Old 7th March 2024, 11:41   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by raksrules View Post
I know activa sells most but I am reading good opinions about Suzuki access from people and TVS jupiter is like having more features and that 2 helmet storage and all but seems it takes a hit on mileage and service of TVS is expensive and in general scooter has vibrations and such, that is what I read.

I would like opinions of people here who can suggest what is a good ride for me.

I am also considering used but I don't have knowledge to assess good from bad so I am still contemplating.
Activa is popular for a reason and I would pick it over the Access and Jupiter.

Access has the best engine but the chassis does not inspire any confidence and almost feels like an activa that has been in an accident.

Jupiter I have not ridden personally nor have I owned any product from TVS but I have heard that their service is not that great also don’t think storing helmets under the seat is wise since the helmet would bake in the heat unless parked in covered parking and the thermocol like material in the helmet will become compromised and it would not perform as well or dissipate/absorb enough energy at the time of impact during an accident. Helmets are best carried with you and taken indoors rather than locked under the scooter’s seat.

I would also like to add the Yamaha Ray to the list as it offers a better chassis and more responsive motor than the Activa while being a good 10 percent lighter thus being easier to manage and far more fuel efficient
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th March 2024, 12:26   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Activa is popular for a reason.......
Why exactly is it popular? I am not being condescending, I am genuinely curious why is it so popular? Honda engine and reliability? Even I had gone with Honda Unicorn back in 2008 when I got my bike but reason definitely was Honda and I wanted the gear change level to be 2 sided so I can reduce gear with back part of feet (pulsar had only the front side).

Is it like I should consider since it is defacto scooter in market today? I know it sells more than 2x of the 2nd popular scooter.

About Jupiter, I too am concerned with its long term reliability and hence am hesitant to go for it.

I will definitely check Yamaha but any reason why it is not popular? Due to their styling? Also the Yamaha Ray is the one with Hybrid tech right which gives better mileage and all?
Old 7th March 2024, 18:53   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Why exactly is it popular? I am not being condescending, I am genuinely curious why is it so popular? Honda engine and reliability?
For that you need to take into consideration the context within which the brand “Activa” was spawned.
I remember back in 2002 when it was launched and my Dad immediately bought one in black, there was simply nothing else like it; Bajaj had 4 stroke version of the Chetak but it was still made with the same poor quality materials and was geared, Kinetic was selling 4 stroke but after honda had left, the transition from 2 stroke to 4 stroke felt rushed and poorly executed not to mention Kinetic did not command any attention in the minds of consumers unless attached with the brand Honda. TVS was selling the scooty but that was small and viewed as less able. From this primordial soup of unremarkable scooters, when the Activa emerged in 2002 everyone could not ignore the fact that it had become the default practical choice. It looked more contemporary than the rest (remember back then we did not have new vehicles launching every month), its chassis felt way more stable than the old Kinetic’s (let’s not even discuss the Chetak’s dynamic abilities), the CVT made any geared scooter owner feel like an ape, the engine felt more capable than anything else and it was an all metal body and larger than everyone’s wives’ TVS scootys. Now combine all of that with the trouble free ownership experience that everyone who went for it enjoyed, and it is no wonder that the brand has remained dear in our country’s audiences hearts.

Quote:
I will definitely check Yamaha but any reason why it is not popular? Due to their styling? Also the Yamaha Ray is the one with Hybrid tech right which gives better mileage and all?
The styling definitely isn’t pretty but I think the reason it failed was because when the first gen ray was launched, it was positioned as an upgrade from a Scooty pep and considering our culturally caused gender inequalities, many folks were averse to buying something that was targeted towards the fairer sex just like how Hero managed to limit their target audience by marketing the Pleasure with the tagline: why should boys have all the fun. Atleast I see more rays and fascinos on the roads than the Pleasure and I’d say that’s purely based on the product’s merits.

Last edited by IshaanIan : 7th March 2024 at 18:57.
IshaanIan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 13:11   #56
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125
My use case is similar and I recently purchased Access125 lowest variant. Here are my cents in case it helps in your decision making

1. For low usage, used scooter is not a bad choice at all. That was my first option but could not find a good one or the asking price was way too high. If you can find, then look for less than 4-5 years run Activa/Access. I won't suggest used Jupiter as I'm unsure about its long term reliability.

2. If primary purpose is single rider than Activa110 would be my recommendation. Your can't go wrong in terms of ergonomics, comfort, reliability. Any eligible driver in the family irrespective of age group or gender would be comfortable riding it. That's what makes it the most popular!

3. If you fancy a bit fun ride, taller scooter or would have pillion rider frequently then Access125 it is. Seat length is better vs Activa and the handling is awesome. Only flip side is that for lady driver, ergonomics could be an issue due to it's tall nature. If your wife plans to ride it someday then please test drive it. In my case, I ride it solo most of the time, occasionally accompanied by my wife or kid as pillion. My wife does not ride as she's more comfortable driving 4w so the local errands on 2w are left to me

4. I also contemplated Jupiter125 and was impressed with the practically of large under seat storage, longer seat, front filling tank etc. But somehow I was not sure about its long term reliability and the feautres were not deal breaker for me.

I'd suggest you to test drive to check ergonomics and comfort. You can't go wrong with either Activa or Access.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 8th March 2024 at 13:26.
Aviator_guy is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th March 2024, 19:23   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviator_guy View Post
My use case is similar and I recently purchased Access125 lowest variant. Here are my cents in case it helps in your decision making
I am now leaning more towards Access 125 and Activa 110 as 2 options.
I also plan to check couple of used 2 wheeler dealers.
I understand Activa is default option but have heard good things about Access 125 so that is also being considered.
I will test ride and see both.

About used scooters, my problem is that how to assess price. Like some dealer or olx guy tells me say Rs. 80000 for a used Access 125 from 2022 and has run 10K Kms. I have no clue if 80K is good price or not.

Last edited by raksrules : 8th March 2024 at 19:28.
Old 8th March 2024, 21:05   #58
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I
About used scooters, my problem is that how to assess price. Like some dealer or olx guy tells me say Rs. 80000 for a used Access 125 from 2022 and has run 10K Kms. I have no clue if 80K is good price or not.
Compare it with new on road price. Also check service history specially for not so old models to make sure it was serviced properly on schedule. If savings are substantial then you can consider it after doing inspection at your fng and also do test drive. I'd say about 30% lower than new is good deal for 2-3 years old Access if you like it.
While looking for used scooter, I came across very less driven 3-4 years old Access. It turned out that due to Covid, it was lying idle and also wasn't serviced properly. I could feel it while test drive that pick up was bad. Decided to skip it and went for new one as the asking price was too much for the condition.

Last edited by Aviator_guy : 8th March 2024 at 21:14.
Aviator_guy is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 15:28   #59
BHPian

Quote:

Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125
I would suggest the Jupiter 125 if you still want a 125. The bigger storage is a convenience and maybe not worth it, but the adjustable suspension, 12-inch wheels and ease of fuel filling will be worth it. If you're riding in traffic most of the time, the auto-off/on is super convenient too. Access is expensive even in the base variant and the Activa 125 is just terrible all around. Bad suspension, bad engine, lame brakes, the lot. Access has plush suspension, and an excellent engine, but it is still more expensive than the Jupiter, and the mileage is about 48 kmpl. Jupiter is about 10k cheaper, I believe, with similar advantages, but take the drum brake version for VFM.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 13th March 2024, 16:00   #60
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I am in market for a scooter, I am still contemplating between new and used as my usage will be around 10 Kms on weekdays (max 14 Kms when kid's school reopens).
Honda Activa
TVS Jupiter 125
Suzuki Access 125
As for the OP - I'd pick the Jupiter amongst the 3 options mentioned. I have been a happy customer of its ancestor - the Wego (which is mechanically near identical in the 110 avatar, not 125) since 2011 and its running simply endlessly without any fuss even today. Only a speedometer cable and a pair of brake-pads have been changed and just ONE spark plug. The secret - I do NOT do anything recommended by the service center. Service it myself as much as possible (including spark-plug cleaning & gap adjustments), and only carry out filter & oil changes in quick service at a reliable road-side spare-parts shop. ASCs of pretty much all brands are equal, what differs primarily are customer perceptions, based on experiences by chance.
Quote:
Originally Posted by IshaanIan View Post
Don’t think storing helmets under the seat is wise since the helmet would bake in the heat unless parked in covered parking and the thermocol like material in the helmet will become compromised and it would not perform as well or dissipate/absorb enough energy at the time of impact during an accident. Helmets are best carried with you and taken indoors rather than locked under the scooter’s seat.
Is there any empirical data available to corroborate this? Could you please share? Its quite an interesting theory and I might have to revisit how I store my helmet often under the seat of my Wego110.

Last edited by Reinhard : 13th March 2024 at 16:02.
Reinhard is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks