Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 20:56   #1
Senior - BHPian

Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

I'm planning on replacing my 11 year old 2nd hand Activa 110cc soon and was wondering what would be my best option ?

I don't ride very often or very far less than 2000km a year and rarely during peak summer and monsoons
Don't ride very fast or aggressively, speed rarely goes above 50-60 kmh so I'm happy with the overall power of the old Activas 110 too
Not too interested in fancy instrument clusters and so on as it's used short distances and for errands only so it won't add much value for me.

Things that would be good to have:
Ride comfort
Disc brake up front although the way I ride the Activa drums have rarely felt "insufficient" so far
Matching 12" inch wheels front and rear

So far I'm thinking:
Budget option : Dio
All rounder safe bet : Activa 6g
Premiumish option : Suzuki Access 125

Can someone mention pros and cons of these and alternative suggestions?

I have spoken to a few local bike mechanics and while all their opinions vary a lot, most suggest the Activa or Access but again opinions on the forums are very varied which makes me think scooters have some very poor QC as a category.

Yamaha I'm on the fence about because I feel the Rayzr is a bit overstyled and the Fascino is a bit chick-ish
TVS Jupiter if I'm not mistaken has both 12 inch tyres and disc brakes as well as ride comfort in its 110cc avatar but forum recommendations seem 50-50 and mechanics mostly give TVS a thumbs down. Also have ridden my boss' Jupiter Classic a few times and while it's decent overall in my little experience, the engine did feel and sound a bit coarse and it was a bit too bulky.

Recommendations welcome as well as suggestions to wait for refreshed models later in the year as I'm in no great hurry.
Mortis is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:02   #2
KPR
BANNED

re: Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

I agree with the convenience of gearless scooter but it is nowhere near 17" wheels of a bike when it comes to comfortable ride. My choice will be a Platina ABS or a Honda CD110 or even a splendor. If gearless is the way ahead for you then have a look at scooty Zest and don't rule out any Yamaha. It lasts for eternity.
KPR is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:52   #3
BHPian

Go for Access, it’s a proven product which should serve you well for next decade. Dio & Activa are not bad either but coming from Activa, they may not give you that freshness you would expect from your new scooter.
Aakash118 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:59   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPR View Post
I agree with the convenience of gearless scooter but it is nowhere near 17" wheels of a bike when it comes to comfortable ride. My choice will be a Platina ABS or a Honda CD110 or even a splendor. If gearless is the way ahead for you then have a look at scooty Zest and don't rule out any Yamaha. It lasts for eternity.
Geared bikes are out for me unfortunately. The Yamaha is only interesting because of its Hybrid technology but then again it's 10-12k more than the other options. I'll keep it as option 4 though

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aakash118 View Post
Go for Access, it’s a proven product which should serve you well for next decade. Dio & Activa are not bad either but coming from Activa, they may not give you that freshness you would expect from your new scooter.
I'm not too worried about the freshness aspect because the Activa I ride is a 11 year old model so there will be enough of a difference, even more so because I bought it used at 35k km

Looking forward to other suggestions and discussions on available options and if an Activa 7g is on the cards this year.

Electric is definitely out since my low running doesn't justify the cost
Mortis is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 00:51   #5
BHPian

I have 2019 model RayZR it wasn't that flashy back then. I can vouch for it. In three years i have only ridden it for 4.5k kms. It is a carb model so less maintenance. It's a fill it shut it bike. It has front fork suspension and has gas charged at the rear. Excellent ride quality with 2 on board. Slightly stiff front with single rider. Max comfy speed is 60. Disk brakes at the front which is spongy. But decent overall. Try looking for used. I love mine.
vj_torqueaddict is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 07:00   #6
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

From the options listed, the Suzuki Access 125 is the best bet, followed by the Activa 6g, the Dio is definitely the budget option. In my opinion, the Access 125 is the best option with a capable 125cc engine, good ride quality, good mileage, and excellent maneuverability. Although it does get quite an outdated instrument cluster and doesn't come with engine start-stop functionality. But these are minor flaws when compared to the excellent overall package offered by Access 125.
bijims is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 12:21   #7
Senior - BHPian

Re: Which basic scooter to buy? Dio vs Activa vs Access

Having owned a gen 1 Activa from 2002 till 2012, I would say go for the Access. The Suzuki just feels like what a modern Activa ought to. Motor is simply brilliant; smooth and powerful. If you'd like a change, then go for the Ray. It might be a little overstyled but remember that it is a good 10 percent lighter than other scooters so it handles and brakes markedly more effortlessly.
IshaanIan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 13:44   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortis View Post
Matching 12" inch wheels front and rear
Do check out the TVS Ntorq. 12 inch on front and rear and feels sportier than the others. Of the 3 options Access is the one to go for.
Abhisheknott is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 23:48   #9
BHPian

Any particular reason Jupiter 125 is not on shortlist? There are good reviews on the teambhp thread and the USP is a large boot which will come in quite handy.
Old 29th January 2023, 09:50   #10
BHPian

My recommendation is the Activa, whichever is the latest model 6g / smart key etc.

We have both an Activa and Jupiter and I would any day choose the Activa. Had chosen the Jupiter for its better suspension, easier centre stand, external fuel filler. But now Activa is on par on these parameters.

Moreover Jupiter’s engine, transmission doesn’t seem to age very well and I feel their maintenance is too frequent.
ellip5i5 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 10:45   #11
BHPian

Thanks for starting this thread as am also looking froward for a simple, budget friendly efficient scooter. As of now Activa 6G and Access seem the final choice.
sukhbirST is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 10:56   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukhbirST View Post
Thanks for starting this thread as am also looking froward for a simple, budget friendly efficient scooter. As of now Activa 6G and Access seem the final choice.
Following would be the optimal choices based on your preferences:

1. Power favouring - Ntorq, Activa
2. Funky styling - Ntorq (Avengers editions), Avenis, RayZR, Fascino
3. Mileage - Access
4. Great overall package - Activa, Jupiter
5. Light weight - Pleasure (Xtec is the one to check out). Give a shot to Destini as well.
6. Touring comfort - Burgman

I have excluded other options such as Aprilia, Yamaha Aerox and other performance oriented ones. Happy buying.
ReventonLover is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 12:13   #13
Senior - BHPian

First of all - You're not alone! We're submerged in the same circumstances for over 2 years now & still unable to decide a scooter to replace our 18 year old strong Activa. Let me state our requirements just enough for you to confide
  • Our yearly distance is no more than 4000 Km worst case (average of 8 Km a day as recorded since 2020 using FuelIO app)
  • Primarily a workhorse that suffices for weekly/monthly groceries, riding around neighborhoods, rarely pickup/drop children to school (once a month or so)
  • Bullet proof Scooter having less maintenance cost & most importantly no niggling issues
  • We plan to retain our next scooter for next 15 years atleast
  • While LED headlight is desired or has replaceable option, we don't need USB charger, Bluetooth connectivity, anything to with a mobile or even the latest gizmo of FOB
  • Scooter will be ridden 80-90% in a sedate state & very rarely when yours truly rides it like a motorcycle

For this we explored (and exploded our collective brains with 25 parameters & sales data for last 25 months) all the scooters available in the market & narrowed down to:
  • Dio Deluxe (Everything is awesome, but for 110cc, lacking front disc & Honda again)
  • Access 125 (Best 125cc seller & awesome ride, but for missing silent starter & niggling issues)
  • Jupiter 125 (for dual 12" wheels & adjustable rear suspension, front fuel fuel filling & awesome storage storage, but for low FE & niggling issues)
  • Yamaha RayZR (for best in segment FE, good handling & suspension, but for low storage)

Quote:
I'm planning on replacing my 11 year old 2nd hand Activa 110cc soon and was wondering what would be my best option?
Straight answers as above please

Quote:
Budget option : Dio
All rounder safe bet : Activa 6g
Premiumish option : Suzuki Access 125
If space is not an issue, the new Dio 110 with 12" front wheel (lacking disc) should easily suffice, including the drum braking power, for speeds up to 60 Kmph & ride like a motorcycle.

Quote:
Can someone mention pros and cons of these and alternative suggestions?
Pros I've mentioned above after my 1.5+ years of extensive analysis in the market; cons I'll have to exclude as the story will easily gobble a day. EV's are straight NO for our low usage where the cost equals between battery & fossil fueled scooters is over 15 years.

Quote:
I have spoken to a few local bike mechanics...suggest the Activa or Access...the forums are very varied...scooters have some very poor QC as a category
Mechanics are always biased on the issues that they come across; its funny to hear their opinion sometimes when you know some ground realities. I'm not saying they're wrong, most of them are right, just that they don't consider issues from all angles.

For instance - One mechanic told me to avoid buying TVS scooters because the valves get bent soon. When asked as how NTorq sells a lot in DL, he said he doesn't know. When probed how he knows the valve gets bent, he shared his experience with one NTorq of valve being bent; quite funny when he said the owner always filled the fuel from Reliance (he's of the opinion that fuel from Reliance caused the valve to be bent). Truth might've been negligence with maintenance or abusive owner or many users or somethings that we can't fathom.

Quote:
Yamaha I'm on the fence about because I feel the Rayzr is a bit overstyled and the Fascino is a bit chick-ish
Yes RayZR is like motoscooter & Fascino reminds of extended ladies skirt!! (sorry owners); Yamaha's strategy has been to cater both men & women & hence they've same engine on two different styling. I personally loved the old 113cc Fascino very much than the current outgoing model. I hated the looks initially, but nowadays I find it interesting rather than attractive.

Quote:
TVS Jupiter...coarse and it was a bit too bulky
Spot on observation just that the ride is not that comfortable like Burgman or handles like Dio/RayZR

Personally, even we haven't been able to arrive at a conclusion either, but for the above 4 scooters above & have deferred our purchase for now!! In reality what people like us need are: 12 inch wheeled, ultra comfortable, 110/125 cc, with 60+ FE, silent start, auto cut off, front disc with combined ABS, lots of storage, niggle free with longevity with wide spread ASC. Something like, Yamaha's technology + Jupiter's conveniences (just the fuel filling & analog/digital dashboard) & space, Honda's reliability & wide spread ASC; plus the matte finish would be our choices.

If you happen to buy one, kindly share your thoughts on your purchase decision please. Thank you.

Last edited by aargee : 29th January 2023 at 12:18.
aargee is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 12:15   #14
BHPian

My 2 Cents: I bought a TVS Zest recently and my usage is strictly for buying groceries and other things (initially thought my wife will ride though) . due to this restricted usage the battery is always unable to recharge to the fullest because of the use of self starter frequently , without covering good distances to enable recharging.

As a result. i always have to kickstart the scooter Post that the scooter is quite smooth and usable.

What about a basic electric scooter ?
Viper21 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th January 2023, 12:38   #15
BHPian

I did the exact same a year ago and went for the TVS Jupiter 125. Engine is a little loud, and yes, the servicing etc might draw some complaints, but I've never had a mechanical issue yet. The rear suspension is a tad harder than any other, but the sheer convenience of that storage, the auto-off feature and fuel filler at the front is a deciding factor. The fuel tank is under the feet, but so far haven't had the slightest issue with it. The seat is also more than sufficient, I'm 6'2" and hefty, while my wife is 5'9", so the space while riding two-up is plentiful. It's also pretty VFM for the features, since it's actual competition, the Burgmann etc maxi scooters are about 15k more.
AulusGabinius is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks