Old 29th January 2024, 11:58   #31
BHPian

Re: Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India

Reviews out.

sprocket is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 15:10   #32
BHPian

Glowing reviews across the board. This seems like the perfect bike in the 400cc segment - the insane 399cc engine and chassis package, in a beautiful, sophisticated exterior. Great pricing as well.

The only fly in the ointment is the tubed tyres, but since Bajaj has declared that we can swap the tubeless tyres and+or the alloy wheels from the Vitpilen 250 (in case you want to retain the Scorpions, which are tubeless ready) this is also not a dealbreaker!

Can't wait to ride one, and most probably book one too!
HartBandit is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 15:16   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartBandit View Post

The only fly in the ointment is the tubed tyres, but since Bajaj has declared that we can swap the tubeless tyres and+or the alloy wheels from the Vitpilen 250 (in case you want to retain the Scorpions, which are tubeless ready) this is also not a dealbreaker!

All that would have to be done at the service center right? It's not going to be from the factory. In that case, you would have to purchase and take delivery of the bike and arrange for the alloys from Vitpilen and then take a service appointment and get them swapped. Not to mention, the hassle of finding someone who will take the spokes wheels off your hand.

Besides, what about the homologation process? Is this change approved?
JithinR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 17:51   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HartBandit View Post
Glowing reviews across the board. This seems like the perfect bike in the 400cc segment - the insane 399cc engine and chassis package, in a beautiful, sophisticated exterior. Great pricing as well.

Why is everyone so worried about the spoked wheels and wants to swap them right out of the showroom? I understand the puncture concerns but do remember that the Pirelli Scorpions are not tyres that get punctured easily. We consume way too much content which puts these fears in our head that we are going to get tubed tyre punctures and that spoked wheels are a deadly force to be reckoned with. Perhaps just try riding it for the break-in period, and maybe consider the swap after that? Adding to that, there are also other cost-effective options like the Way2speed and Outex tubeless conversion kits. I am booking this bike next week, and the latter is probably going to be my choice in a few months.

The manufacturers must have thought this through. Maybe it is not just the Scrambler aspect of the motorcycle that they are pitching. They would have tested this for a while to assess whether this suits the character of the bike and the comfort levels compared to the D390.

P.S: These are all just my personal opinions. Feel free to disagree so that we can have a healthy discussion
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 19:50   #35
BHPian

Almost the whole Duke package in a more mature, less flashy guise, but one which is itself pretty slick-looking in its own right. More room, larger presence, more comfy seating position, better for a pillion, cheaper. And apparently with a fully sorted quickshifter.

As for tubed wheels, a tubeless conversion should be more than enough to take care of any worries while the spoked wheels apparently help the ride quality going by Sagar Sheldekar.

What’s not to like? And how is this not bigger news on this forum?!
RT13 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th January 2024, 19:51   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
I understand the puncture concerns but do remember that the Pirelli Scorpions are not tyres that get punctured easily. We consume way too much content which puts these fears in our head that we are going to get tubed tyre punctures and that spoked wheels are a deadly force to be reckoned with. Perhaps just try riding it for the break-in period, and maybe consider the swap after that? Adding to that, there are also other cost-effective options like the Way2speed and Outex tubeless conversion kits.
Totally agree with you ! I am planning to buy a bike (to accompany 2016 tb350) in hopefully another 5-6 months and this husky is now at the top of my list. Himalayan is slowly moving down because of the weight. I really liked the new Duke but it's agressive ergos and compact seating area is a deal breaker for me. So unless adv390 with new engine or RE scrambler 650 drops by the time I go for booking, your plan is my plan too. Rally str is one of the best in the business, so using a tubeless conversion eventually or switching to alloys (with the savings by choosing this over Duke 390) is my current plan. Now waiting for test rides to begin in my area.
maskebail is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 11:02   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
We consume way too much content which puts these fears in our head that we are going to get tubed tyre punctures and that spoked wheels are a deadly force to be reckoned with.
The tubed tyres is not just social media fearmongering.
I think you will understand the fear once you have had to push a 150+kg bike for 3-4 km to get a puncture fixed. I can assure you it is no fun.

For me this is a surprising choice by Bajaj. 99.99% of the people are not going to go off-road. The tubed tyres are a purely aesthetic styling decision by Bajaj.
I also don't understand why they did not go with tubeless spoked wheels. Per Bajaj, that would have added about 10k to 12k to the price. However I doubt anyone purchasing a 3.5L bike would have changed his decision for an additional 10k.
timuseravan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 12:23   #38
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by timuseravan View Post
The tubed tyres is not just social media fearmongering.
I think you will understand the fear once you have had to push a 150+kg bike for 3-4 km to get a puncture fixed. I can assure you it is no fun.

For me this is a surprising choice by Bajaj. 99.99% of the people are not going to go off-road. The tubed tyres are a purely aesthetic styling decision by Bajaj.
I also don't understand why they did not go with tubeless spoked wheels. Per Bajaj, that would have added about 10k to 12k to the price. However I doubt anyone purchasing a 3.5L bike would have changed his decision for an additional 10k.
Having that fear is valid. But we can't assume worst case scenario with a brand new bike, especially with a reliable tyre like the Pirelli Scorpions. Of course, nobody wants to be stranded with a tube puncture, but swapping those out of the showroom straight away is a bit too proactive in my opinion. I would use them for a few months, and then consider a swap or tubeless conversion (my preferred choice).

On the other side of the coin, I am also considering getting the Duke 390 and using the stock tyres and alloys for atleast a year, then swapping to the spokes and Pirellis from the Svartpilen for a Ladakh trip next year. This gives two sets of tyres and choice of alloy vs spoke for situational usage. It all comes down to which suits the rider better, and personal preference in overall design and styling.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 13:05   #39
BHPian

The only thing this bike has done has shown me clear as day, the tyre I will switch to when I have to take my Speed 400 to Ladakh (or maybe Arunachal this time?). Really liked the pattern, should really help with the snow slushies on those roads.

Coming back to the Svartpilen, the choice of rims is stupid. They could have given that same tyre with Alloy wheels and also given the Tubeless Spoke rims as an optional add-on. OR if that is too much effort for a slow seller, they could have given it a USP and kept the Tubeless Spoke Rims as standard. The tubeless spoke rims would have given this the edge it needed to stand out as a viable alternative to the rest of the crowd in the 40-47BHP segment making it the no-compromise motorcycle.

If the reviewers have to be believed, the additional 10-12k would still keep this ~10k away from the Duke.

I hope all 3 stablemates (Scrambler 400x, Svartpilen 401 and ADV 390) would come with Tubeless Spoke wheels in the future so people can choose whatever suits them the most without the inherent fear of punctures.

P.S.: I have had just 1 flat tyre in the past 15 years, all thanks to Tubeless tyres. The one that did happen was due to a pothole damaging the sidewall of my 20-day old car. It has been a godsend in convenience and safety.
antz.bin is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th January 2024, 17:12   #40
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Not only is this heavier than the Duke with less fuel, it also looks like most of it is coming from the spoked wheels. This with knobbies on is going to handle and brake much worse than the duke. No clarity on whether the vitpilen 250 alloys are the same light weight, strong spec as the Duke 390. Reviewers portraying such shortcomings, expected as they are, as 'fine' is not actually fine. I strongly suggest taking a proper long test ride when considering an enthusiast bike like this.

About tubeless spokes, https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/super...s-service.html (BMW Motorrad India's incompetence & horrible after-sales service) stories like this imply you need to swap the rims out totally at which point you might as well buy alloys. This goes for the himalayan as well.
hikozaru is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st January 2024, 01:58   #41
BHPian

I am sure considering the overall feedback on rims, husqvarna will launch the 401 with alloys very soon. 2 of my very good friends have put the decision on hold just because of the rims. The Pirelli scorpions are good, but the 401 is a much better tourer than a adv.
RD150 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:08   #42
BHPian

How much would a Duke 390/250/vitpilen250 alloy cost? A black 250 Duke/vit alloys would look right at home in the svart. I think too much is being made of the choice of wheels when there's ready options available for direct swap, unlike some tubed bikes that don't have a direct replacement or once that force you to go with costly tubeless spoke rims. Quite appealing for the Duke and husky owners to have a set of alloy and spoke rims at their disposal to change and swap as per their usage. Tour with alloy wheels, go on short distance or group trail rides with the spoke rims.

How much worse can the braking be on the Scorpion rally strs when there are people actively swapping to the same on their duke390s?

I think it's a lovely looking bike with strong fundamentals and with certain use case driven shortcomings that can be easily rectified over the course of ownership. Great machine for someone who wants the Duke 390 performance without the in your face design(I think it's more the color choice thelan the design) and the taller rear seat.

What's the difference between the 250 Duke and vitpilen? Apart from Bluetooth connectivity, is there any other major difference? Seems vfm at the current price, with the duke250 sitting in a no man's land between the vit and speed 400.
kedar3223 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 07:23   #43
BHPian

@mods apologies for consecutive posts. Kindly merge with the above post as I couldn't figure out a way to add photos to the previous post in edit mode.

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-1000096674_202402020715226672.jpg

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-10000966772.jpg

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-1000096674_202402020716436002.jpg

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-10000966742.jpg
kedar3223 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd February 2024, 09:29   #44

Do we know of bookings are open and what delivery timelines are for this bike. I do not see them in the showrooms and the showroom folks have no idea about this bike either.
Old 2nd February 2024, 11:27   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45dons View Post
Do we know of bookings are open and what delivery timelines are for this bike. I do not see them in the showrooms and the showroom folks have no idea about this bike either.
In Chennai, the display bike is supposed to arrive today at the KTM Whites Road showroom. They are promising delivery in 10 days, as I have a good relationship with them and had requested the very first bike in Chennai.

For Bengaluru, please do check with your closest dealer or the main branch which receives priority in terms of delivery.

If I don't like the bike in person, I will book the Duke 390 and get delivery in 3 days as they have stock ready.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks