Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2024, 15:33   #46
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India

Purely from a business perspective, Im not really surprised by Bajaj's decision to differentiate the Husky 401 from the Duke 390 by offering a tubed setup with less electronics. The key word is differentiation. If the Svartpilen 401 had alloys, wouldnt it have impacted the sales of the Duke 390? As good (great?) as the latest gen Duke 390 is, the reality is that it isnt flying out of the KTM showrooms. When else have you heard of loyalty bonuses and discounts being offered, almost as soon as a product was launched?

Back to the bike, I was quite impressed by the initial reviews of the Svartpilen 401, barring the inclusion of spoked wheels. However, while talking to a friend who owns the latest gen Duke 390 (with 5,000 + kms covered already!), he told me that the additional electronics on the Duke 390 had already saved his behind on one instance and that alone, made choosing the Duke 390 over the Svartpilen 401, a no-brainer.

In terms of on road pricing
Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 - Rs 3,90,000 (showroom expected figure)
KTM Duke 390 - Rs 4,08,000
KTM RC 390 - Rs 4,18,000

If we add the approximate cost of the alloys, you are within 1 EMI of the on road price of the Duke 390 but without the electronics package of lean angle sensitivity for the ABS and TC. If both the Duke 390 and the Svartpilen 401 had the same electronics package, I would probably swing for the Husky and gladly get the alloys from the 250. But at this price point, its hard to look past the safety net of the additional electronics that come with the KTM.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kedar3223 View Post
How much would a Duke 390/250/vitpilen250 alloy cost? A black 250 Duke/vit alloys would look right at home in the svart.
I checked with a local KTM dealer on the pricing of the alloys. They werent certain about the cost of the alloys of the new Husky 250s but the previous gen one cost ~ Rs 12K for the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishal.jayakuma View Post
For Bengaluru, please do check with your closest dealer or the main branch which receives priority in terms of delivery.
The local dealer here has no clue whatsoever. They mentioned after the 15th, though I suspect that its a random number that they pulled out of the thin air.
neil.jericho is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2024, 15:41   #47
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neil.jericho View Post
Back to the bike, I was quite impressed by the initial reviews of the Svartpilen 401, barring the inclusion of spoked wheels. However, while talking to a friend who owns the latest gen Duke 390 (with 5,000 + kms covered already!), he told me that the additional electronics on the Duke 390 had already saved his behind on one instance and that alone, made choosing the Duke 390 over the Svartpilen 401, a no-brainer.
This is the reason why I decided to skip the booking for the Svartpilen and book the Duke 390 instead. I will be getting delivery in a week.
It might not seem like a lot, but no cornering traction control whilst attacking curves in the hills with spoked wheels and dual sport tyres, I wouldn't want to risk it. Besides, I am getting back to riding after a really long time and I could use the added electronics to aid my learning (relearning) curve.
vishal.jayakuma is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 11:36   #48
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JithinR View Post
All that would have to be done at the service center right? It's not going to be from the factory. In that case, you would have to purchase and take delivery of the bike and arrange for the alloys from Vitpilen and then take a service appointment and get them swapped. Not to mention, the hassle of finding someone who will take the spokes wheels off your hand.

Besides, what about the homologation process? Is this change approved?
Bajaj seems to have told journos that this is a simple enough change at the dealership, without voiding the warranty (and I'm guessing causing any other official issue). And, you can either hold on to the spokes and use them when you want to go offroad, or swap it with a Vitpilen/Duke owner who would like those. It isn't as simple as the bike just coming with alloys - but I think the overwhelming feedback would force Bajaj to introduce them soon enough.

I am cool with swapping them with alloys as long as the warranty stays.
As to someone commenting that the Pirellis are great tyres and wont puncture easily - I don't want to find out where their limits are. And aesthetically, I prefer the alloys to the spokes - I think it goes with the minimalist styling of the Husqys.

If there was a Vitpilen 401, I would have bought that instead and raised the handlebars a bit. But that is not to be, so here I am thinking about the alloy swap and a white or red wrap on the tank.
HartBandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 16:56   #49
BHPian

Just realized that the Speed 400 is almost 60k less on road compared to the Husky 401. While the Husky looks better than the 400, what else would justify the additional money?

Also, for the Svart off roading part; we have alternatives in the form of 400X and the Himmy450 and Scram 450 on the way. Man are we spoilt for choice!
sprocket is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th February 2024, 17:45   #50
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sprocket View Post
Just realized that the Speed 400 is almost 60k less on road compared to the Husky 401. While the Husky looks better than the 400, what else would justify the additional money?

Also, for the Svart off roading part; we have alternatives in the form of 400X and the Himmy450 and Scram 450 on the way. Man are we spoilt for choice!
The Husqy is 4~5 bhp extra power, around 2Nm more torque, has very high quality tyres, and some electronic goodies and the bidirectional quickshifter from the 390 Duke which the Speed 400 doesn't have. Plus a moderately proven engine+chassis combo (yes, it is new as well, but I would trust KTM/Bajaj with it) compared to a from-scratch idea by Triumph/Bajaj - and that's just my feeling.

And the Husqo looks vastly better!
HartBandit is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th February 2024, 09:50   #51

New Husqvarna bike launch in March 2024

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3DdR...IzampvNHAwcA==

Does anyone know about this launch slated for 5-3-2024?
The link is from the Husqvarna official Instagram account.
Adv_moto-Life is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 09:44   #52

Re: New Husqvarna bike launch in March 2024

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3S5M...ZvcmxxOHFuOTFv

It sounds like a Twin, that rules out a 701 Version.
The 901 based of the KTM 890 Platform perhaps ?
Adv_moto-Life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 11:12   #53
BHPian

My guess, its the new 401 vitpilen/svartpilen based on the new duke 390 chassis/engine specs.
nitro.1000bhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:00   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitro.1000bhp View Post
My guess, its the new 401 vitpilen/svartpilen based on the new duke 390 chassis/engine specs.

Hi, The second Insta link posted has a upswept exhaust design, the 401 Svart / Vit has a underbelly exhaust. The exhaust rumble is also that of a twin...
Old 14th February 2024, 12:07   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv_moto-Life View Post
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C3S5M...ZvcmxxOHFuOTFv

It sounds like a Twin, that rules out a 701 Version.
The 901 based of the KTM 890 Platform perhaps ?
The svartpilen and vitpilen based on the 890 platforms were under testing for a while. It looks like a svartpilen

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-images-12.jpeg
b16h22 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 14th February 2024, 12:09   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by b16h22 View Post
The svartpilen and vitpilen based on the 890 platforms were under testing for a while. It looks like a svartpilen

Attachment 2572589
Mystery solved, and case closed !! Thanks for the information
Adv_moto-Life is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2024, 22:08   #57
Distinguished - BHPian

I got a chance to try out one of the new Huskys for size. Though this was the 250 and not the 401, I was keen to see what the bike looks like and whether KTM has actually made it comfortable for tall riders, this time around. The good news is that the Huskys have finally shed their Honey I Shrunk The Motorcycle tag. This does look like a proper 400cc class motorcycle! Tall riders wont have a problem with finding a comfortable seating position on the Husky 250 and 401.

Before I forget, those rear view mirrors are gargantuan! And you cant not see the Honda similarities in the headlight design.

If KTM hadnt thrown out the IMU based electronics, the Husky 401 would have been a serious alternative to the manic Duke 399. At least the Husky 401 looks a lot more sophisticated than its KTM cousin.

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-1.jpg

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-2.jpg

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-3.jpg

Next-gen Husqvarna Svartpilen 401 caught testing in India-4.jpg
neil.jericho is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 10:58   #58
BHPian

Honestly, basing the Svartpilen on the Duke frame doesn't make sense to me. Surely a toned-down version of a Adventure 390 frame and suspension would have made more sense?
AulusGabinius is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 18:26   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AulusGabinius View Post
Honestly, basing the Svartpilen on the Duke frame doesn't make sense to me. Surely a toned-down version of a Adventure 390 frame and suspension would have made more sense?
Svartpilen is a scrambler, not a ADV or Dual Sports, so it doesn't make sense to base on the Adventure 390. However I understand where you are coming from, if the Norden 401 or 501 had been a reality it would have been based on the Adventure 390, sadly that project has been scrapped along with entire KTM 490 platform.
Black_Star is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd March 2024, 18:40   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black_Star View Post
Svartpilen is a scrambler, not a ADV or Dual Sports, so it doesn't make sense to base on the Adventure 390. However I understand where you are coming from, if the Norden 401 or 501 had been a reality it would have been based on the Adventure 390, sadly that project has been scrapped along with entire KTM 490 platform.
Well yeah, but the old Adv 390 had the same frame and engine as the Duke 390, just wheels, suspension and maybe the gearing was a bit different. The aesthetics, seat etc were all different though. That sounds awfully familiar to the Speed and Scrambler 400s, no? So I think the Adv 390 is a more ADV-focused scrambler in that sense. The new one isn't like that at all, I think, it seems to be getting a lot more stuff. The Svartpilen right now has no more off-road ability than its sister Duke. It doesn't even get a 19 inch front wheel, let alone more suspension travel. The Svartpilen 901 may be a different story, but 250 and 401 so far are road bikes with off-road shoes on.
AulusGabinius is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks