Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th July 2023, 11:09   #76
Team-BHP Support

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
At least in Pune, designated Hero motocorp dealers are getting the bike after 15th August and test rides afterwards.
A dedicated dealership came up near my place in Mumbai even before the bike was shown to the media. It was filled with bikes just a few days after the media rides. Wonder why it's taking so long in Pune which is much more of a 2-wheeler city.
Aditya is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 11:38   #77
Team-BHP Support

I was in Delhi last week for some work and chanced upon a Harley showroom when I had stepped out into the adjacent mall for a quick bite.

My quick few takeaways from just a visual inspection of the bike, also in the context of my recent time spent with the Speed.

1. From a size perspective, it is certainly imposing in a ‘nice, big bike’ way. I think the HD has some outright eyesores visually that have put people off (for instance the small chrome touches on the alloy wheel, and some others). These should be fixable and HD should attempt to revisit these design touches in the near future. It will make a big difference to improving the sheet visual factor. Same with the speedo console - the rectangular display in the circular box looks like a short cut.

2. The quality of the fit and finish is also nowhere in the league of the Speed. This is an area Hero will need much more work on. Unsightly welding marks are visible, the general fit and finish seem to be of a product trying to fit within ‘a budget’.

Fix some of the above two and the it will significantly improve the visual appeal of this bike. Right now, people need to accept it despite how it looks and (from what I’ve read and am told by people who’ve ridden it) - its an excellent machine per se - in some ways with even more distinct charm than the Triumph. It will be a disservice if it gets let down by these aspects.

3. The dealer mentioned that they’ve received more than 400 bookings already (just that dealership). Not a bad number I reckon given there are a few other dealerships as well in the wider NCR region. There seemed to be some genuine prospective customers at the showroom during the 5 - 10 mins I spent there and they were gushing over a “Harley”. The “Harley” appeal continues in a certain segment and I was surprised to realise that this is still something that can’t be underestimated. Notably, he was not offering test rides at that point - even to prospective customers willing to put in a deposit. Perhaps that’s changed since then or its dealer specific but honestly, showrooms WILL have to go all out to try and pull in customers. Its not fair to expect customers to simply plonk booking amounts without giving them a meaningful test ride given they’ve now got access to the bikes. Culturally, this is something that needs to change with our dealers.

I suspect when the dust settles on the initial response, each of the Speed and HD will establish its own clientele and market in due course. I don’t think we should be writing eulogies for either too early. Great to see multiple options in this segment ranging from the various J type REs (and the upcoming new RE 450/s) in their various iterations, to these new gen HDs and Triumphs going up to the 650 cc parallel twins and in turn their various iterations.

This is a perfect size, CC and power range for buyers to be able to choose from for varying kinds of end use. Add to that what KTM and Yamaha are now bringing in the 300 cc segment and motorcycling truly never has been better for the Indian biking community in terms of the options available.

Leaving a pic with the bike, which the very helpful and eager salesperson was kind enough to take.

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_3772.jpeg
PS: The bike isn’t too tall. For reference, I’m just 5’4” so please judge the reach to ground accordingly.
Axe77 is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 12:39   #78
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Attachment 2482703

As per this communication, existing H-D dealerships should have a display bike by now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Wonder why it's taking so long in Pune which is much more of a 2-wheeler city.
I confirm, 440X is available at Two Rivers HD, Amanora Mall, Pune.
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-photo-surjashis-m-1277741.jpg

They had a small unveiling on Tuesday, 25th July. I'm yet to sample it myself, may be over the weekend!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (5) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 14:01   #79
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aditya View Post
Wonder why it's taking so long in Pune which is much more of a 2-wheeler city.
Difference is H-D and Hero motocorp dealer. Most H-D dealers have display bike now, taking time for designated Hero motocorp dealers.
sukiwa is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th July 2023, 14:55   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I confirm, 440X is available at Two Rivers HD, Amanora Mall, Pune.
When you are there, can you please also check with them when will it be available for test ride and if it will be available for test ride in selected hero showrooms in Pune?

That area is a high population density zone and streets are a crowded mess, not sure how people would be able to experience the bike there.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th July 2023 at 15:43. Reason: minor spacing
Old 28th July 2023, 16:10   #81
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtx2 View Post
When you are there, can you please also check with them when will it be available for test ride and if it will be available for test ride in selected hero showrooms in Pune?

That area is a high population density zone and streets are a crowded mess, not sure how people would be able to experience the bike there.
Amanora Society has good 2 lane roads where you can take it for a ride if allowed
Old 28th July 2023, 18:37   #82
Senior - BHPian

Harley-Davidson X440 online bookings close on August 3.

- Production to begin in September at Hero’s Neemrana, Rajasthan plant.

- Customer test rides will begin from September 1 and deliveries slated to start in October.

- Prices likely to go up in next booking window.

Quote:
The company says that it has received “an overwhelming response” for the smallest, most affordable Harley
Quote:
Hero hasn’t yet announced when the next online booking window will open
Source

Last edited by Venkatesh : 28th July 2023 at 18:42.
Venkatesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 17:54   #83
Distinguished - BHPian

Was passing by the Hero showroom which I had selected for the X440 booking I did. Decided to just drop by to see if they had a display bike. They did not have it.

Spoke to a senior sales person and although he did not sound very confident, what he mentioned was they should be getting 1-2 display/test bikes in the first week of August and they are expecting to do the first batch of deliveries starting September. He mentioned they have around 170 bookings.

I hope both the X440 and Triumph 400 test drives will be available in first half of August so that a decision can be taken as to which one to go with.

(Understand both are very different bikes, but from all the reviews and articles, both will suit my modest needs). Leaning towards the Harley if the compromises in the finish quality is something I can live with.

Last edited by Rajeevraj : 30th July 2023 at 17:57.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 20:58   #84
Senior - BHPian

Strange! 'Bookings close on August 3, Test rides begin from September 1'. Wouldn't the consumer want to 'feel' the product before booking? What ploy is this!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venkatesh View Post
Harley-Davidson X440 online bookings close on August 3
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 21:37   #85
BHPian

Bike was unveiled today at Harley Davidson Dehradun showroom. They did not allow the bike to remove from stand saying that it is for display only.
The Bike looks well built and exhaust sound is awesome. All the talk about finish not being up to the mark is highly exaggerated. It doesn't seem out of place in the Haley showroom.
ajay0612 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th July 2023, 22:44   #86
BHPian

Checked out the X440 at Harley, Pune with BHPian surjaonwheelz .

The fit and finish isn’t bad per se, in line with much more expensive 883 sportsters. The welding joints in the chassis are pretty well done , except near the swing arm and exhaust. The bike has good presence and sounds pretty throaty and bassy, especially for a single cylinder. The diamond cut alloy wheels are also similar to the ones found in Iron 883. The exposed frame near the tank is also in line with the latest Harleys like the Nightster.

Bluetooth connectivity with turn by turn navigation, SOS and other connected features are available only in the top variant with Matt black paint scheme. This paint scheme looked much better in person, than in pics. The bronze bits in the engine looked nice.

The colour instrument cluster/speedometer looked really nice and premium, so did the LED headlight.

At present, all these are pre-production models and we were told that the production models will have better fit and finish. Eg- The accelerator cable will be better concealed.

The test rides will start in the 2nd week of August , the production will begin from 1st Sep and deliveries will start from October.

The ONR price of the top variant will be around 3.4-3.5 lacs in Pune.

The only pic I took:

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-img_9395.jpeg

I am sure surjaonwheelz will come up with more minute details and pics in his post

Last edited by Waspune : 30th July 2023 at 23:00.
Waspune is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 08:11   #87
BHPian

Read the reviews watched plenty of YouTube videos. Always wanted to own a HD, no test ride in Bangalore currently is a bummer for me. Most reviews said Vivid model is value for money. Liked dark silver color but not sure how the finish product will look compared to pictures. Planning to book as I always have wanted to own one.

So is it better to go for Vivid Dark silver or go for top end model. Most reviews said even on the top model crash gaurd and engine gaurd are additional accessories that need to be bought separately.

Last edited by Dushie : 31st July 2023 at 08:12.
Old 31st July 2023, 08:13   #88
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Checked out the X440 at Harley, Pune with BHPian surjaonwheelz .

Bluetooth connectivity with turn by turn navigation, SOS and other connected features are available only in the top variant with Matt black paint scheme.
AUTOCAR says, 'Despite being the base version, it still comes equipped with an LED headlight, a TFT display and Bluetooth connectivity, just like the rest of the lineup'.
Link: https://www.autocarindia.com/auto-fe...plained-428677

At present there is lot of confusion about availability of Bluetooth connectivity in lower models.

Quote:
At present, all these are pre-production models and we were told that the production models will have better fit and finish. Eg- The accelerator cable will be better concealed.
On the contrary, Haley Davidson, Dehradun claimed that the bike displayed is the final version and there will not be any change in production model. Again more confusion.
Nevertheless, other Harley bikes were having similar cable routing, nothing to be proud of.

Last edited by ajay0612 : 31st July 2023 at 08:31. Reason: removed duplicate word
Old 31st July 2023, 08:16   #89
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Bluetooth connectivity with turn by turn navigation, SOS and other connected features are available only in the top variant
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
At present there is lot of confusion about availability of Bluetooth connectivity availability in lower models.
Bluetooth connectivity is present in ALL the three variants; only the connected features (geo-fencing, vehicle stats, diagnostics, SOS) are only on the top variant. Have mentioned this in the opening posts.

Same with the tubeless tyres confusion: we were categorically told all three variants get tubeless tyres.
libranof1987 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 08:37   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Same with the tubeless tyres confusion: we were categorically told all three variants get tubeless tyres.
You are right. Perhaps HD has told half truth. The tyre on lowest variant Denim would be tubeless indeed, but maybe RIM would not be so.

RIMs suited for use of tubeless tyre without tube are usually costlier than alloy wheels. Isn't it?

Last edited by ajay0612 : 31st July 2023 at 08:43. Reason: to bring more clarity.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks