Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st July 2023, 10:14   #91
BHPian

Re: Harley-Davidson X440 Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay0612 View Post
AUTOCAR says, 'Despite being the base version, it still comes equipped with an LED headlight, a TFT display and Bluetooth connectivity, just like the rest of the lineup'.
Agreed! All the reviews including the TBHP review mentioned that BT connectivity is standard across the variants. However, showrooms are saying that it is available only in the top variant. Let’s see!

Quote:
On the contrary, Haley Davidson, Dehradun claimed that the bike displayed is the final version and there will not be any change in production model.
Another point of confusion. Hopefully, Harley/Hero will clarify. If there are no changes going to be made in the final production models then it doesn’t make sense for Harley to say that the production will start on 1st September. In fact, in that case they should have been able to start the deliveries much earlier than October.

Quote:
Originally Posted by libranof1987 View Post

Same with the tubeless tyres confusion: we were categorically told all three variants get tubeless tyres.
Tubeless tyres on spoke wheels sound to be too good to be true on a motorcycle that is being offered at 2.29 lacs . Seems to be a slip from Harley/Hero. They might have meant that tyres are tubeless but as they are mounted on spokes they will require a tube as well. Similar to Interceptor 650 that first came with Pirelli tyres.

Last edited by Waspune : 31st July 2023 at 10:16.
Waspune is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 10:27   #92
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
They might have meant that tyres are tubeless .
Yes. Tubeless tyres with tube inside for the basic version.
Old 31st July 2023, 14:46   #93
BHPian

Went to check out the HD in Bangalore showroom. Bike looks nice . Seems like they are.getting a good amount of enquiries. As of now the delivery date commitment is of December first week when booking now.Also there would be a price revision post 3rd August. They clearly said next year the prices will go up. Whatever bookings that are being taken now they plan to deliver the bikes by end of December and finish.
Old 31st July 2023, 15:01   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by surjaonwheelz View Post
I'm yet to sample it myself, may be over the weekend!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waspune View Post
Checked out the X440 at Harley, Pune with BHPian surjaonwheelz .

I am sure surjaonwheelz will come up with more minute details and pics in his post
The H-D showroom was a busy place!
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-1_side_1.jpg

Revving the engine gives immediate feel of the bike's character! Ergonomics are eased out with both feet down flat. The metal side panels touched the inner thighs with comfortable reach to the handle bars.
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-2_front_1.jpg

Need to feel it out on the open roads but a big downer is that they are planning test rides around the mall.

We suggested the sales team to organize events/camps for test rides out of town at least for 4-5 kms.

Some observations:
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-3_engine_s.jpg
The bronze finish on the top S model and machined engine fins.

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-4_alloy_s.jpg
Diamond cut alloys of the top S model

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-5_gear.jpg
Gear lever linkage & front sprocket cover, folks with OCD will be busy here!

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-6_swingarm.jpg
Long rectangular swingarm

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-7_underbelly_mainstand.jpg
Under-belly exhaust canister and mounts for center stand?

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-8_rear_sprocket.jpg
Rear sprocket with a square washer, doubling up as a guide to the chain tension adjusters. Provision for saree guard mounts is visible. Welding experts can comment here!

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-9_rear_brake.jpg
Rear disc brake mount is on the the front side, wheel removal and fitting should be easier (coming from an INT650 owner)

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-10_brake.jpg
Brake lever, master cylinder cover in plastic!

We had to move aside from the bike as others were waiting to get on the bike. One more point is that the matt grey finish of the top S model was matching with the plastic parts on the bike!

Some common inspirations from other HD bikes present in the showroom,

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-11_iron_alloy.jpg
Diamond cut alloys

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-12_nighster.jpg
The tank design

But the million CC question is, will H.O.G. accept this new breed of singles (cylinder)?

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is offline   (23) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 15:37   #95
BHPian

Quote:
But the million CC question is, will H.O.G. accept this new breed of singles (cylinder)?
I was told that HOG membership cost R 5000 per year. I guess not many x440 owners will be interested in it.
ajay0612 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 16:55   #96
BHPian

Quote:
At present there is lot of confusion about availability of Bluetooth connectivity in lower models.
Bluetooth connectivity is there for all models. Only the S variant gets an e-sim. This means geo fencing/ remote immobilizer etc wont be there. Music and other phone notifications can be seen on the dash on all variants.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st July 2023 at 18:04. Reason: Fixing quote tag. Typo.
inline4 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st July 2023, 19:04   #97
BHPian

Quote:
Some observations:
Thanks for the pictures. The fit and finish, specially the metal work definitely suggests that the bike is built to a cost. Lacks the craftsmanship of a premium model. Hopefully, as the reviews suggest, the performance of the bike compensates this aspect. Keenly waiting for a test ride.

Last edited by Axe77 : 31st July 2023 at 21:16. Reason: Minor typo.
Old 1st August 2023, 12:39   #98
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Riding clubs like HOGS, RATS, BMWRC, or various Indian clubs for Royal Enfields, Jawas, etc are just a very diluted form of what they use to be 15 -20 years back.

All thanks to the multiple choices available in the market, riders have moved from brand to brand, so the loyalty for a particular brand is not as strong as it use to be. A know few Harley riders (a bike mainly suitable for good roads), have moved away from road to adventure and trails and have changed brand to suit their requirements.
Biggest catalyst in the dilution of this 'Club" culture is the rise of "whats-app" culture. There are thousands of groups basis brands, sub brands, mixed brands, road riders, trail riders, fast riders, slow riders, like-minded friends, college groups, apartment groups, and what not.

No one really cares much about big and famous riding group/culture. I have a BMW 310 GS and there are groups comprising of bigger bikes like 1200GS. The smaller bikes have their plus points and bigger bikes have theirs, and eventually everyone finds their balance and solace. I am also a part of group where Xpulse 200, Himalayan, Ktm 390 adv, to Triumph Tigers, Honda Africa twins, bigger BMWs etc, ride together.

Probably with the kind of numbers the HD440 will do, they will have their own groups and subgroups and can name them anything, for eg, BHOG (Baby Harley Owners Group).
nasirkaka is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 16:02   #99
BHPian

Sharing the details of costing, on road price, loan emi options and also pdf brochure showing the details and difference between variants and features. Got all this at booking time at HD showroom in Bangalore.
Attached Thumbnails
Harley-Davidson X440 Review-whatsapp-image-20230801-3.55.06-pm.jpeg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-whatsapp-image-20230801-3.55.15-pm.jpeg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-whatsapp-image-20230801-3.55.05-pm.jpeg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-whatsapp-image-20230801-3.55.06-pm-1.jpeg  

Harley-Davidson X440 Review-whatsapp-image-20230801-3.55.06-pm-2.jpeg  

Attached Files
File Type: pdf H-D X440 Brochure web.pdf (1.00 MB, 1025 views)
Dushie is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 1st August 2023, 22:58   #100
BHPian

I managed to get test ride for the X440 last weekend in Gurgaon, albeit a short one. Couldn’t push it beyond the third gear in the narrow lanes around the showroom.

However, all the initial reads on the low end torque seem to be on point. Felt the same every time I opened the throttle.

Regarding the fit & finish - Checked out the top end S variant, and found it to be fairly nice. Maybe I did not notice the minor details, as the main intent was to get a hang of how the bike performs.

Also, since the bookings are closing on 3rd August (good marketing tactic to bump up the bookings), I have booked one for time being. Will surely go for a longer test run before finalising. Hopefully Harley starts the test rides soon officially.

The great Dilemma thereafter:

I casually walked into the Royal Enfield showroom as I had some spare time. Saw the Super Meteor. Had a test ride. Loved it!

I’m getting the bike primarily for weekends, highways and occasional bike rides to the office. So looking for something that can cruise along without a fuss. While one might think that both the bikes cater to different segments, but both fit well into my requirements.

Any help in getting out of this dilemma will be much appreciated!

Last edited by Abh1nav : 1st August 2023 at 23:28.
Abh1nav is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 11:00   #101
Senior - BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
One point that comes to mind in the cruiser stance of super meteor with forward placed pegs where the whole body weight is on the bum, all the time. Compare this to HD440 where the ergonomics are neutral and upright and foot peg placed in line with torso means we can put mild pressure on footpeg and reduce the load on the butt, whenever desired.

A cruiser makes for a good highway bike. But India is not all about good highways. To reach most places, or even city commuting, we have to go through all type of roads including bad broken ones and that is where the difference would be stark.

Some other points i can think of in favor of HD440 over meteor is:
* Weight difference: HD being lighter will be easy to handle/maneuver
* Mileage: HD should most likely give better fuel efficiency
* The rear suspension on the meteor seems on the firmer side, feedback from some of the riders i know.
* Exhaust note: in stock form, the super meteor sound is very muted, HD in comparison sounds bassy, and louder, at-least from the videos.

Last edited by nasirkaka : 2nd August 2023 at 11:03.
nasirkaka is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:27   #102
Senior - BHPian

Price hike

Prices to go up by Rs. 10,500 for all 3 variants after first lot of bookings closes on 3rd August.

News article

I am not sure if timing is appropriate, just gives 2 days for prospect buyers to decide and that too when bike is only available for display without any test rides. This shows either confidence of manufacturer or poor planning.
sukiwa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:40   #103
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abh1nav View Post
I’m getting the bike primarily for weekends, highways and occasional bike rides to the office. So looking for something that can cruise along without a fuss.
Think of the Super Meteor 650 as the elder sibling of the X440 and it will help easing the dilemma.

Double the cylinders, more power and torque and almost 1.75 times the cost of a X440. It's actually comparable to erstwhile low end Harleys.

If cruising and leisurely riding is what you are looking at, and you have dough to spare, look no beyond the Super Meteor.

The X440 is the cheapest product from Harley made in collaboration. On the other hand, the Super Meteor is the flagship product of Royal Enfield.

Need I say more?
aviator1101 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 12:54   #104
BHPian

Re: Price hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post
Prices to go up by Rs. 10,500 for all 3 variants after first lot of bookings closes on 3rd August.

News article

I am not sure if timing is appropriate, just gives 2 days for prospect buyers to decide and that too when bike is only available for display without any test rides. This shows either confidence of manufacturer or poor planning.
I think H-D has got an overwhelming response. From what I hear their numbers far surpass what the Speed 400 has done and the bulk of the booking has come for the top end variant.
inline4 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2023, 13:12   #105
BHPian

Re: Price hike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sukiwa View Post

News article

Booking amount is Rs 5000 and it is fully refundable. Also they are giving 5 years and 70,000 kms warranty for the X440, no other manufacturer is giving that so its the confidence and quality of the product which they have made they are banking on, along with the demand. So i would recommend to book yours if you are really interested in buying, else you can cancel and get a refund later on if you do not like the bike post test drive.

Last edited by Dushie : 2nd August 2023 at 13:31.
Dushie is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks