Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 9th January 2024, 13:22   #61
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

Exactly. If you notice all the cables are tightly drawn in the Himalayan by RE. They all need to be replaced. I bought the riser and did not use it (endured a loss). My friend has moved the handlebar slightly forward and it reduced the pain in his arms
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Why I asked the question here is because, installing the risers might be a 10min job. However I was advised against it since the additional height would translate to cables having enough length and not getting pulled. I wanted to check if anyone has got it done and their feedback.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 13:27   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Some downside pointed out, of all of them, vibration numbing the hands is worrisome. I thought KTM 390 Adv was bad, but here the guy says new HimPa (Himalayan Sherpa) is worser than KTM
I watched it until he says there is nothing under 3k rpm and stopped watching. Plenty for me under 3k for most situations. Yeah you have to pull in the clutch and downshift more. Don't expect to ride at 15kmph in 3rd - this one won't! But slow moving traffic is not an issue. You can easily do 25-30kmph in 3rd but meaningless to do so cause you won't pick up speed when it opens up. The 2nd is way better for that. What if I say the H450 has plenty down there compared to my 821 - might be my most controversial bike opinion.

IMHO - It's pointless comparing constantly to the old Himalayan. Everyone needs to accept that only thing being carried over is the name and that's about it. If you keep doing that, you can list not 6 but maybe 12 things that aren't so great on H450. And maybe 20 if you compare to CB500x and VStrom I really liked the notes by @KarthikK in the official review thread!!

I see many of those who owned the old Himalayan constantly comparing its torquey nature to not so torquey nature of the new one and then state that if you go off road, you will a, b , c. Yeah you will if you keep riding it like the old 411!! And if you are serious about offroads and trails, even the H411 to me is kinda a bad choice. Maybe you gotta consider the Xpulse.

Not being able to stand up comfortably does seem to pop up frequently but I could and am 5'10. But I stand up only when necessary and mostly to get the circulation back in my butt. So yeah, not really standing up and riding for more than 4-5 minutes max. But ain't an issue that risers won't solve. E.g. got risers on my 821 to get some pressure off my back.

So yeah - there are very few or maybe no motorcycles out there that excel at everything. You mostly got do-it-alls that maybe do one or two things right. The H450 to me is a mile muncher - roads or no roads. It's not meant to be ridden offroad only so it maybe just does it okay and doesn't excel at it.

That's what most of us who got the bike are saying - ride it without any preconceived notions and biases. And then if you don't like it for what you gonna use it for, dont get it. But hey, it will wade through water, get you over rocks and bad roads just fine. It will take you to work and looks good when parked outside a coffee shop. Like I said, a downshift here and a clutch pull there to use what the bike offers.

I usually refrain from doing such things on purpose unless I run into such roads or places. But this is a video of my ride last week where I decided to get over some rocks to a place I wanted for decent pics.

Disclaimer - I've never owned the Himalayan 411 and have ridden it only twice or thrice and I didn't like it. It was anemic for my tastes. And I've owned an Electra for a long time in my.past life so am no RE fan boy either! It's just that the H450 ticked a few key boxes for me very well so am back in the saddle of an RE after having sworn off it!
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240106_092512.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-20240106_092609.jpg  

Nilesh5417 is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 13:31   #63
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
While this review could be authentic, sometimes I feel issues could be with some bikes or people might be exaggerating, as days pass by negative reviews might have far reach in between a zillion good reviews.
Check out my ownership thread. I have mentioned the same thing. The bike is extremely vibey from 5000 RPM onwards. After a 300 kms ride, it took a few hours for the pain to subside. The buzz is also pronounced for the pillion. There are possible ways to reduce this by installing handlebar grips and wearing thicker boots but again, this is trademark RE vibes if I may say so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
My friend has moved the handlebar slightly forward and it reduced the pain in his arms
How tall is your friend? I am 5ft. 6in so if your friend is of similar height, I will try moving the bars a little forward.
n_aditya is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 13:50   #64
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I watched it until he says there is nothing under 3k rpm and stopped watching.
I was referring to vibration, one thng which I hate on my Adv 390 also. It is an inherent single cylinder issue which seems like bigger.. on the Sherpa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
Check out my ownership thread. I have mentioned the same thing. The bike is extremely vibey from 5000 RPM onwards. After a 300 kms ride, it took a few hours for the pain to subside. The buzz is also pronounced for the pillion.
I end up taking 1 hour breaks and keep adjusting posture on long highway rides to survive the torture on KTM.
Jaggu is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 14:48   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
That's what most of us who got the bike are saying - ride it without any preconceived notions and biases. And then if you don't like it for what you gonna use it for, dont get it. But hey, it will wade through water, get you over rocks and bad roads just fine. It will take you to work and looks good when parked outside a coffee shop. Like I said, a downshift here and a clutch pull there to use what the bike offers.

I usually refrain from doing such things on purpose unless I run into such roads or places. But this is a video of my ride last week where I decided to get over some rocks to a place I wanted for decent pics.
The gleam in his eyes are back! Nilesh is being quite adventurous just to get some good clicks. Here are some clicks taken at a dam backwaters near Pune. Only a dirty bike kept him away from entering the waters or rather cleaning a dirty bike

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0015.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0019.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0021.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0023.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0025.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0027.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img20231223wa0029.jpg

Photo credit to our friend who owns the Tiger 800.

My 3 cents:
  • No new vehicle is fuss-free.
  • Singles will vibrate, at which rpm and how much depends!
  • IC engines will heat up, it's upto us to decide the acceptable limits.
Stop worrying and enjoy motorcycling (with any motorcycle)!

Happy riding,
surjaonwheelz
surjaonwheelz is online now   (17) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 17:14   #66
Senior - BHPian

He is about about that height. So it should be fine for you to move it slightly forward. And, get those puppies, they work great on the Himi
Quote:
Originally Posted by n_aditya View Post
There are possible ways to reduce this by installing handlebar grips and wearing thicker boots but again, this is trademark RE vibes if I may say so. How tall is your friend? I am 5ft. 6in so if your friend is of similar height, I will try moving the bars a little forward.
Sebring is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 21:39   #67
BHPian

Does any know what is the length of the engine Rod ?

I got call from dealership today about arrival of my hanle black (and I chose to name mine "REclipse") ��.
Interestingly I had 2 choices for the same color and I went with the one that started in first crank LOL. The other one was being edgy and stalling at idle every now and then, even though it was a younger machine by 2 days. I asked my father to feel which one has more vibrations (to pick a less viby one) and he said both are vibrating like crazy.

Well I had to pick one, so I did and made the payments. In the invoice there was price guarantee mentioned and hence I received it at introductory price even though billing was at new price (the discount was applied to bring the price down).
I however decided to postpone the delivery for tomorrow as I wanted to get it with proper HSRP number plates. It was a difficult decision but I had to control my desperation.

While not an avid biker but my father immediately pointed to the lack of engine/crash guards. Unfortunately there are no options currently available at the RE dealership and they're not taking the bookings either so I'm wondering if any one of you had the opportunity to asses aftermarket options, if any ? I just want a basic crash guard for the moment until I can procure original RE.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 9th January 2024 at 22:03.
rishi.roger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 00:55   #68
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishi.roger View Post
I just want a basic crash guard for the moment until I can procure original RE.
There no known brands online where I could see this to be available, do checkout the local market and try getting one.

All the ones available online are heavy and bulky. Unnecessary to a greater extent if you ask me, all they do is exaggerate the vibrations and the added weight and few bolt on systems do more damage than protect in case of a crash. The rally protection seems to be the right fit : https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/g...tion-kxa00400/

try check the OEM dealers if you are not getting it through the SC, in earlier days I was able to procure parts from the OEM dealers as opposed to the SC as well from my classic.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th January 2024, 01:01   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhansali_hardik View Post
There no known brands online where I could see this to be available, do checkout the local market and try getting one.

All the ones available online are heavy and bulky. Unnecessary to a greater extent if you ask me, all they do is exaggerate the vibrations and the added weight and few bolt on systems do more damage than protect in case of a crash. The rally protection seems to be the right fit : https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/g...tion-kxa00400/

try check the OEM dealers if you are not getting it through the SC, in earlier days I was able to procure parts from the OEM dealers as opposed to the SC as well from my classic.
Yeah, I saw few options from MotoTorque (available) and Zana (pre-order) but I have used Zana in very recent past for Dominar and while quality was decent but they're overkill for normal usage. I had to eventually take them off as they made an already heavy bike way heavier.
I will see if I can find something cheap in Karol Bagh for temporary usage till RE starts taking orders for GA.

Ps, can you talk a bit more about the OEM dealers ? Any hints ? I can try this route.

Last edited by rishi.roger : 10th January 2024 at 01:02.
Old 10th January 2024, 18:21   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Yeah, I saw few options from MotoTorque (available) and Zana (pre-order) but I have used Zana in very recent past for Dominar and while quality was decent but they're overkill for normal usage. I had to eventually take them off as they made an already heavy bike way heavier.
I will see if I can find something cheap in Karol Bagh for temporary usage till RE starts taking orders for GA.

Ps, can you talk a bit more about the OEM dealers ? Any hints ? I can try this route.
Here this might help you : https://www.royalenfield.com/in/en/l...-distributors/
bhansali_hardik is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 16:32   #71
BHPian

Could someone advise on Aftermarket options for Rear View Mirrors ? I am struggling with the stock RVM on Himalayan 450 w.r.t. following:
1. Adjustability is very poor.
2. Field of view is very small.

It does have a very nice anti-glare coating that aboslutely excells at night but I do a lot of riding in city so I prefer a wider FOV.
I saw some options from Double-Take and RAM Mount ones. However, Unsure what should be a good price to buy them at. They're going almost as high as 15k INR.
Old 11th January 2024, 18:00   #72
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone advise on Aftermarket options for Rear View Mirrors ? I am struggling with the stock RVM on Himalayan 450 w.r.t. following:
Check if the Husqvarna mirror fits. I believe they are a size bigger and should offer better FOV.
man_of_steel is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th January 2024, 18:05   #73
adc
Senior - BHPian

After 50 revolutions around the sun ie at age 50 years, presented myself the Himayalan 450.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20240101_132007.jpg
meet KAALIA or KAALA SAETH, 3500 km solo travel done till now. Booked on the first day ie 7th Nov, and delivered on 13th Dec, 2023

Its been quite sometime, heck its almost a decade now, since my last post here, but there quite some interesting travel stories to share... and i feel like writing again.

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20231229_143541.jpg

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-img_20231230_125722.jpg

3500 kms done, at the first opportunity Himalayan 450 has gone where to belongs to and in fact is not with me now -- some 3000 km from my home as i am back in Kolkata after a fantastic solo ride// will be continuing later for a further part 2 of an epic travel if and as possible - that itself is another story. Will be sitting down to write about the experience and all on separate ownership thread..

Last edited by adc : 11th January 2024 at 18:33.
adc is offline   (28) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 07:27   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Could someone advise on Aftermarket options for Rear View Mirrors ?

It does have a very nice anti-glare coating that aboslutely excells at night but I do a lot of riding in city so I prefer a wider FOV.
My two cents…buy a mirror extender which will help you better with the view. Found the stock mirror stalks are a tad small and the extenders should help.

Adjustability: mirror has two places where you can adjust. So do give it a shot.

The stock mirrors have a nice anti glare coating which is of immense use.

However if all of this fails try the V Strom 250 mirrors. They are very good for the price you pay.
ku69rd is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 12th January 2024, 19:43   #75
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

I saw some options from Double-Take and RAM Mount ones. However, Unsure what should be a good price to buy them at. They're going almost as high as 15k INR.
Why not checkout the touring mirrors that are a part of.official H450 accessory catalogie? Not sure if they are out yet but if you are not in a hurry, you might want to check them out.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks