Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th January 2024, 11:25   #46
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review

The pricing makes it attractive for all markets. But it's not a smooth engine, does have its rough spots. And gears slot in 'no mans land' a few times (Unlike what YT reviewers had us believe)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandeepmohan View Post
This new Himalayan should fly off shelves in almost every International market. They addressed the biggest gripe of the original and that being power. Pair that with the lowest price to its competitors and you have a winner.
Sebring is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 12:31   #47
BHPian

I did couple of rides over the weekend and maintaining the speed limits/RPM as per the Run in guidelines given in the manual. Noticed a very mild tick tick noise from engine, I hope it is tappet noise which i experienced in my old Electra as well. this noise cannot be heard evidently while wearing helmet. is it normal for this engine spec ?., I did read about this in some other review as well.
Bike is nearing first service due, should i highlight it while leaving for service ?
Old 8th January 2024, 13:10   #48
Senior - BHPian

Tappet noise is more like 'clatter', not sure what noise youre hearing. Highlight it during service. I usually dont report minor things as they tend to screw it up completely, or a new problem emerges. if any issue I take it in for only that. Another aspect a owner would know; As a rider I'm finding the key position odd once inserted. It's at an angle begging one to take it one step further even after ON is reached. I fear one day I'll bend the key in trying to do that
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulZire View Post
Noticed a very mild tick tick noise from engine, I hope it is NOT tappet noise which i experienced in my old Electra as well. this noise cannot be heard evidently while wearing helmet. is it normal for this engine spec? I did read about this in some other review as well.
Sebring is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 16:04   #49
BHPian

Hello all,

So finally got a chance to ride the new 450 Himalayan rode over a small dirt patch with incline and some small boulders as well as tarmac.
A breif summary of my impressions being a Adventure 390 owner with around 15000 on the odo. Have also ridden the old himalayan in the mountains for about 4000-5000 kms.

1. The size of the bike is larger than 390, especially the wheelbase it looks very long
2. The tank looks better than it looks in photos, fit and finish is definitely better than older himalayan
3. Thought the front headlight mounting portion of ADV 390 was ugly himalayan beats it, too messy with many brackets etc
4. Accessible seat and comfortable to sit but I kept sliding towards the tank while riding
5. Handlebar looks wide but it isn't, atleast compared to ADV 390
6. Sitting posture with the stock handlbar made my elbows straight not the wide open elbow position that's comfortable for long haul (height 174cm for reference). But I could saddle with great confidence in stock position, gripping the tank was a bit cumbersome though
7. Once on the bike weight is easier to manage than older himalayan but not as easy as the KTM ADV
8. Weight is felt at low speeds and round abouts the long wheelbase doesn't help here
9. At idle and while moving engine is smooth and refined
10. As mentioned by few now low end torque isn't as great as the previous himalayan but feel better than the ktm adv 390, felt its more due to gearing than the engine itslef making more torque at low rpm
Why I think so ia that the rpm was at 3000 when the bike got to move a bit and 4000 is where the actual torque was felt a bit almost in the same territory as the ktm. But the bike can be ridden at 25 ish kmph in 3 rd gear wothout complaints but it wont accelerate immediately given some juice. If I try the same with adv it rattles and stalls.
11. The linear torque masks the speeds I was doing 80+ in 3rd wothout noticing. But this also masks the excitement and that pull that ADV gives at high engine speeds
12. The best part SUSPENSION just soaks everything and doesnt squat or dive like the bmw GS does. I have modified my ADV's rear suspension (mentioned in another thread), rode both back to back offroad while the rear of adv felt comparable, the front end was bad. It was transferring all impact to me felt this first time as I rode it after the Himalayan. Need to find a fix
13. While the wheelbase looks large it doesn't hamper cornering or turning, it's better than old himalayan but not as sharp as the ADV
14. Overall very impressed, if the front end is cleaned up by removing the metal brackets its a good looker too. The brake pedal was hot after sometime think thats one thing to be looked into.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-pxl_20240108_065401722.jpg  

Last edited by PreethamNag : 8th January 2024 at 16:10.
PreethamNag is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 19:42   #50
BHPian

Hello all, I got an opportunity to ride the new Himalayan yesterday. Everything has been covered in the review, so not diving into the experience part.

The new Himalayan has its own shortcomings, but all I want to say is, I still had a great time riding this motorcycle. Such a versatile machine this one is. Let's wait and see how the Sherpa performs in the longer run.

Sharing a few pictures that I had clicked during the ride.
Attached Thumbnails
Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-2.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-1.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-3.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-4.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-5_edited.jpg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-6.jpeg  

Royal Enfield Himalayan 450 Review-7.jpeg  

Bageera is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 20:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

I read about a black radiator guard in one of the ownership review or a post. Can anyone point me to it? Unable to locate it now though I went through all the active threads.

TIA.
Old 8th January 2024, 21:31   #52
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
I read about a black radiator guard in one of the ownership review or a post. Can anyone point me to it? Unable to locate it now though I went through all the active threads.

TIA.
There is one from Zana.
https://www.zanamotorcycles.com/prod...-himalayan-450
rich_heart is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th January 2024, 21:38   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Thanks!! How do you find its quality, fit and finish? It's priced pretty steeply for an after market accessory no? Actually more than official RE guard. Worth the money you think cause I will get it just for the color?
Old 9th January 2024, 05:39   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nilesh5417 View Post
Thanks!! How do you find its quality, fit and finish? It's priced pretty steeply for an after market accessory no? Actually more than official RE guard. Worth the money you think cause I will get it just for the color?
I too haven't yet bought one. Someone who has can provide the feedback. However Zana is quite popular brand.
Old 9th January 2024, 05:43   #55
BHPian

Hi all,
Has anyone installed handlebar risers?
I have set seat at 825 position. If I sit close to he tank, I feel the foot on brake pedal very cramped at ankle.
If I sit a little away from tank, I have to stoop down to reach handlebar. This puts pressure on my shoulders.

I thought handlebar risers will solve this problem. Please share your thoughts.
Old 9th January 2024, 08:19   #56
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_heart View Post
Hi all,
Has anyone installed handlebar risers?
I have set seat at 825 position. If I sit close to he tank, I feel the foot on brake pedal very cramped at ankle.
If I sit a little away from tank, I have to stoop down to reach handlebar. This puts pressure on my shoulders.

I thought handlebar risers will solve this problem. Please share your thoughts.
I see handlebar raisers available with mototorque and zana. Since you are already facing shoulder pain because of handlebar, I recommend you to try one yourself rather than waiting for someone to reply which may or may not fix your solution. IMHO, Best thing is you try it out.
tech_rider is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 11:36   #57
Team-BHP Support

Some downside pointed out, of all of them, vibration numbing the hands is worrisome. I thought KTM 390 Adv was bad, but here the guy says new HimPa (Himalayan Sherpa) is worser than the KTM!

Jaggu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 12:44   #58
BHPian

While this review could be authentic, sometimes I feel issues could be with some bikes or people might be exaggerating, as days pass by negative reviews might have far reach in between a zillion good reviews.

@Jaggu you can check 2part comparison review by Big Bear Customs in youtube for another view on adv-himmy comparison.

Last edited by tech_rider : 9th January 2024 at 12:49.
Old 9th January 2024, 12:59   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
While this review could be authentic, sometimes I feel issues could be with some bikes or people might be exaggerating, as days pass by negative reviews might have far reach in between a zillion good reviews.
The bias which you are talking about is real, however the earlier reviews were exaggerated with respect to the refinement.

There is buzz at every rpm and more pronounced in the power band and the vibes do creep in quite easily around 4.5~5k rpm. Again this is more pronounced on the test ride bike maybe since the amount of abuse thrown on them is unfathomable.

Negative reviews do get more traction and views as they pique interest. Someone complaining that the himalayan is not good because they met with a puncture and then making a big deal out of it is not acceptable! They knew what they were getting into and now using these as click baits is not acceptable.
bhansali_hardik is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 9th January 2024, 13:15   #60
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech_rider View Post
I see handlebar raisers available with mototorque and zana. Since you are already facing shoulder pain because of handlebar, I recommend you to try one yourself rather than waiting for someone to reply which may or may not fix your solution. IMHO, Best thing is you try it out.
Why I asked the question here is because, installing the risers might be a 10min job. However I was advised against it since the additional height would translate to cables having enough length and not getting pulled.

I wanted to check if anyone has got it done and their feedback.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks