Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 18th October 2013, 10:14   #2641
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
^^ My sister-in-law bought a Suzuki Access last week by exchanging her 1993 model KH and got Rs 4000.00 for it. She changed it half heartedly, because it had done close to 90k KM and had started giving problems recently. It required a complete make-over and we felt it may not be worth the trouble.
Sir, in case if you are aware could you please help me with the current On-Road price that the Dealer settled with? I am buying an Access for my father this November. The On-Road price that the dealer has proposed is Rs.58,500/- and accessories amount to around Rs.2700/-. Would like to know if I can save a little thousands if possible.
Old 22nd October 2013, 22:45   #2642
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
You really need to think it over. Even i have a 2000 KH and from 2 years was thinking the same but after 1.5 years of trials i found out that there is actually no replacement for this gem of a ride. None i mean none of them will give you the peace of mind (unless of course your KH is already giving you problems), it is the least demanding and the only price you pay is low FE. Even if you ride 30 kms a day it still works out cheap compared to any 4 stroke scooter. At last i have decided that it will remain with me as long as it does not fail mechanically. In 13 years all i have replaced is battery (3), seat cover once, tyres (3), a few break pads, rim once (bent), clutch assembly twice, shockers front and rear once, and few bulbs and RVMs. But never anything from the engine. Think about it.
Hi Zulfi,

Completely second that. The KH is so low on maintenance, dont know when was the last time I filled in 2T oil. Just check the level once in a while. The stability is good, so is the ride. But its showing its age.
Doing it completely doesnt help, paintjob, new tyres, passing and green tax. So getting a new one is more practical. But it will still stay close to my heart.

PS- My ex wanted to buy it out from me and just keep it, because there are many memories attached to it.

Regards,
Kavesh
Old 23rd October 2013, 12:48   #2643
Senior - BHPian

Guys, I have a question on fuel cock. Can a fuel cock similar to the ones used in bikes/old scooters be used in scooters like Wego? The fuel gauge is gone bad and also, it never behaved in linear way like the ones in a car behave. So quite often, we used to misjudge and the tank would be dry. If I use a bikes fuel cock, it will have two positions, regular and reserve. This way it would be easier to know when to visit petrol pump.
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:33   #2644
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arvind6488 View Post
Sir, in case if you are aware could you please help me with the current On-Road price that the Dealer settled with? I am buying an Access for my father this November. The On-Road price that the dealer has proposed is Rs.58,500/- and accessories amount to around Rs.2700/-. Would like to know if I can save a little thousands if possible.
Rs 58000.00 on the road, Rs 1950.00 worth of accessories free and Rs 4000.00 for the old KH.

The RVMs of the Access are the most useless ones I have seen on any bike. Does not remain in position even for five minutes and droops like a withered flower. I told her to get some after market ones.

Last edited by Gansan : 23rd October 2013 at 14:36.
Old 23rd October 2013, 14:55   #2645
BHPian

My hunt for a gearless scooter is still on. Stay in S. Mumbai so anyone selling here can PM me. Please beware that I have a limited budget.
Old 24th October 2013, 18:14   #2646
BHPian

After a lot of research on the net and some head scratching, I have gone for the kill - Booked a TVS Jupiter. The scooter is for mom. (Yes, I would use it when I am back home on weekends). Now - waiting eagerly for the delivery. (It is not released in Mysore yet, only bookings have started). The S.A says it will be delivered by November 1st week. MATT GREY it is. Will start an ownership thread soon.

The Old Scooty Pep+ has to go. It was bought in 2005 and the Engine has got "Bore"-d 2 times. Apart from that, inspite of innumerous problems that the vehicle has thrown(The electrical circuit was the worst that I might have seen on any vehicle), it is maintained in a decent condition(a little beat up). The vehicle was bought for around 39K OR, and currently a mechanic we know is offering INR 14K. I had around 15K in mind. Could fellow brethen please tell me what is the maximum I can get out of this 7year old lady?
Old 26th October 2013, 23:51   #2647
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Completely second that. The KH is so low on maintenance, dont know when was the last time I filled in 2T oil. Just check the level once in a while. The stability is good, so is the ride. But its showing its age.
Doing it completely doesnt help, paintjob, new tyres, passing and green tax. So getting a new one is more practical. But it will still stay close to my heart.

PS- My ex wanted to buy it out from me and just keep it, because there are many memories attached to it.
Me too in the same situation. Extremely love my 2005 KH(zoom),but after spending thousands to bring her back to glory I have given up. Now thinking between dio(yellow) or ray. Dont want to part with the KH but have to as I also have a pleasure and a rodeo at home. Noways I can keep four scooters at home as dad won't allow.
Old 27th October 2013, 09:49   #2648
Distinguished - BHPian

Recently I faced an issue with my Dio. After I gave it a detailed wash and left it overnight, the scoot wouldn't start the next day. The starter motor would fail to run and it seemed that the battery had run out of juice. Quite shocking for me as this was an MF battery and it was fine the previous day. Kicked it and brought the engine to life. Went to college which is 1km away and when I returned to the scoot in the afternoon, the same problem. Again kick started it and came home. Now I was worried and equally pissed at the manufacturer. The battery voltage was dropping to single digit when the starter motor tried to run. Then checked the charging voltage and it was not increasing when the engine was running. The alternator however was supplying power. So I thought it was a problem with the regulator and hence wanted to go to the dealer. Then I put things back in place and had to go on a rather longish ride of about 6kms. I rode all the way and to my surprise when I cranked it there, it started without a fuss.

I guess the battery was not being charged to a good extent during my short runs and once I returned home, it is back to normal after the total 12km ride. Has anyone faced similar issues? And I dont use the kickstarter at all. Could this be a problem?
Old 27th October 2013, 10:00   #2649
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Me too in the same situation. Extremely love my 2005 KH(zoom),but after spending thousands to bring her back to glory I have given up. Now thinking between dio(yellow) or ray. Dont want to part with the KH but have to as I also have a pleasure and a rodeo at home. Noways I can keep four scooters at home as dad won't allow.
Hi Prokinetic, where are you located ? If you are located in Mumbai. Please do contact me. You do not have a PM function. send me your no. will call you.
kavesh55 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2013, 10:22   #2650
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kavesh55 View Post
Hi Prokinetic, where are you located ? If you are located in Mumbai. Please do contact me. You do not have a PM function. send me your no. will call you.
Thanks for the concern. No, I'm not in Mumbai. Is it allowed to post here the phone no. or email? If yes, then tell me I will put it here. I'm not very sure about forum rules.
Old 27th October 2013, 10:27   #2651
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prokinetic View Post
Its not worth spending thousands on KH, its good so long as you are spending Rs. 400-700 every 2000 kms, maybe once in a while 1K, but nothing more than that.
I suggest you sell all of them and look at Vespa seriously, this is the only one which surpasses the qualities of KH, IMHO.
Old 27th October 2013, 17:46   #2652
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Recently I faced an issue with my Dio. After I gave it a detailed wash and left it overnight, the scoot wouldn't start the next day. The starter motor would fail to run and it seemed that the battery had run out of juice. Quite shocking for me as this was an MF battery and it was fine the previous day. Kicked it and brought the engine to life. Went to college which is 1km away and when I returned to the scoot in the afternoon, the same problem. Again kick started it and came home. Now I was worried and equally pissed at the manufacturer. The battery voltage was dropping to single digit when the starter motor tried to run. Then checked the charging voltage and it was not increasing when the engine was running. The alternator however was supplying power. So I thought it was a problem with the regulator and hence wanted to go to the dealer. Then I put things back in place and had to go on a rather longish ride of about 6kms. I rode all the way and to my surprise when I cranked it there, it started without a fuss.

I guess the battery was not being charged to a good extent during my short runs and once I returned home, it is back to normal after the total 12km ride. Has anyone faced similar issues? And I dont use the kickstarter at all. Could this be a problem?
That's the reason buddy. This is a common issue. If my scoot is idle for two days, it won't start on battery on the 3rd day. Need to give it a couple of kicks and then use the starter. Sometimes it starts if I use the choke during the first attempt. Thumb rule is if it doesn't start on 1st crank, give it a couple of kicks, after which you can crank it again if it didn't start on kick.
Old 27th October 2013, 18:09   #2653
Distinguished - BHPian

The problem is I end up being late in the mornings and crank it up by self start. It does crank in one go but I guess my commute is too short for a good battery charge. Guess I have to go for a long ride once in a week to keep the battery charged up
Old 28th October 2013, 08:39   #2654
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Recently I faced an issue with my Dio. After I gave it a detailed wash and left it overnight, the scoot wouldn't start the next day. The starter motor would fail to run and it seemed that the battery had run out of juice.
It is better to get the starter motor relay also checked, many a times the contacts of the relay just fail. It happened with me when I was unable to start the scooter when the battery was full charged. The culprit was relay.
But nowadays its the other way round, the battery has totally lost its juice and only alternative is to replace it.
Old 28th October 2013, 14:19   #2655
BHPian

Is it possible to fit a fuel filter between the carburetor and fuel tank in Honda Aviator (HET) 2013?

Will it void the warranty?

I'd like to buy a good quality fuel filter online. Please suggest sites.

I am asking this because there is no fuel filter in Aviator petrol tank apart from a plastic pipe like structure fitted in the outlet that can not filter the contaminants. As a result even very little contaminant in petrol ultimately ends up in carb to make it overflow. A carb wash brings back everything to normal.
To avoid the problem I try my best to refill only in two specific fuel stations in my town where the quality and quantity is good. but that's not possible always. Please help.
BTW, I talked to the service manager during the last servicing about it. He said that it is not possible to fit a fuel filter in Aviator. He could't give me any satisfactory answer, Why not? (might be that they didn't want to fit any aftermarket part in the scooter. just a thought)

Last edited by Lucas_2007 : 28th October 2013 at 14:26.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks