Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 26th September 2013, 15:42   #2611
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcpranav View Post
I had posted earlier, a month back we got Wego. primarily its for wife, for quite short distances. sometimes I take it for a ride, and surely everytime Im pleasantly surprised with the handling of the vehicle. The balancing is definitely superb.

Got the first service done: Rs.255 (ODO=112 KM)
- engine and transmission oil changed: its the same stuff going in separate compartments.

till now very happy.
I got a Wego(white) about a year and a half back, also for short distances. However, most of the time, its not used. It just has about 3000Km in its one and half year life. I sometimes felt guilty for buying it after selling my 7 year old Pulsar 150.
On another note, after some time of riding, the fairing and handle-bars started vibrating. This is at low revs/speeds. As i raise the speeds, this vibration vanishes. Don't see a lot of wegos around so didn't have this compared. The service intermediately sorts this problem, but it returns after a few months. Any of this on your vehicle?
Old 26th September 2013, 15:50   #2612
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post

What do you recommend folks?
Having owned and ridden both quite extensively, my vote definitely would be for the Activa. My Activa(currently being used by dad) is about 7 years old. Of-course there is the wear and tear now, but it still rides smooth, with more power and better mileage.
The Wego on the other hand is super light and a marginally better handler. But very rough to ride. Mine developed vibration issues within a month of purchase.
All are my humble observations on my vehicles only.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:39   #2613
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
I got a Wego(white) about a year and a half back, also for short distances. However, most of the time, its not used. It just has about 3000Km in its one and half year life. I sometimes felt guilty for buying it after selling my 7 year old Pulsar 150.
On another note, after some time of riding, the fairing and handle-bars started vibrating. This is at low revs/speeds. As i raise the speeds, this vibration vanishes. Don't see a lot of wegos around so didn't have this compared. The service intermediately sorts this problem, but it returns after a few months. Any of this on your vehicle?
I see two minor similarities with me: Wego and Pulsar.

Wego: wife uses it daily, though the ODO would be low. But atleast she has bit of freedom & flexibility. Thought my ownership period is very low as compared to yours, till now I havnt found any such vibrations. But I do feel the front fender / or guard bit making a kut-kut noise when run over a big pothole. Had reported during the 1st service, but it continues. Sure a minor issue, maybe the guard wasnt fitted properly.
Another thing, the vehicle isnt very smooth in accelerating (max I did was 40) - which I primarily suspect due to low run and havnt done any run-in yet! Should be solved after few hundred KM.

OT: Pulsar: Few years back, I purchased Pulsar-150 for my local official work. But after a while couldnt continue, partially because of my back aches. Another reason of non-usage was due to pollution and clothes getting spoiled. In three years, it hardly did 3K KM, and was kept aside in our parking area. Finally one day sold it off for quite low price.
Old 26th September 2013, 17:54   #2614
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aneezan View Post
Have the wego which is approaching close to 4k kms now after 1 year of ownership. There was no vibrations like what you have mentioned so far in the Wego. So it could be a niggle which the initial lot of Wego's came with. Try and speak to a Service Advisor to suggest the permanent fix for it.

Quote:
Another thing, the vehicle isnt very smooth in accelerating (max I did was 40) - which I primarily suspect due to low run and havnt done any run-in yet! Should be solved after few hundred KM.
Please ensure you follow the correct run-in procedure. And during the first service, don't go with the TVS oil, instead use the Shell AX-7 10W40 grade oil. You will notice a lot of difference. And once run-in is complete, it is very smooth accelerating until 80kmph (the max i have gone up to so far and doubt if it will go anything beyond this in normal usage) .

Last edited by abhinav.s : 26th September 2013 at 17:56.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th September 2013, 18:32   #2615
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
There was no vibrations like what you have mentioned so far in the Wego. So it could be a niggle which the initial lot of Wego's came with.
Thanks. Could be a niggle. However, i report this to the service advisor every time and when i receive the vehicle, the vibrations vanish. It reappears after about 2 months or so. Its not so much of an irritation these days as I rarely take it out.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:48   #2616
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post

Please ensure you follow the correct run-in procedure. And during the first service, don't go with the TVS oil, instead use the Shell AX-7 10W40 grade oil. You will notice a lot of difference. And once run-in is complete, it is very smooth accelerating until 80kmph (the max i have gone up to so far and doubt if it will go anything beyond this in normal usage) .
sorry, already got the oil changed with TVS brand. thanks for your tip.
the first service milestone is mentioned as: 500 KM or 30 days (whichever is less). In my case, it was 112 KM in 20+ days and on a free weekend got it serviced.

Considering in my case, the normal usage would be hardly 1-3 KM a day, appreciate if you could give major bullet points for the run-in method & tips. On sundays, I can try to explicitly ride it for 10-20 KM.
Old 27th September 2013, 14:57   #2617
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Considering in my case, the normal usage would be hardly 1-3 KM a day, appreciate if you could give major bullet points for the run-in method & tips. On sundays, I can try to explicitly ride it for 10-20 KM.
  • If the running is very less, then the most important thing to do is warming up the engine before you ride away. Kick start the scooter and keep it running for at least 30-45 seconds before you start.
  • Keep the speeds in the zone marked economy on the speedo. (Doubt you will ever get to cross it with just 1 or 2 kms of running)
  • Don't accelerate or brake suddenly and go with the flow of traffic with smooth acceleration & braking.
You can change the oil next time you visit the service center for service with the Shell oil. No issues on that front.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th September 2013, 18:43   #2618
Distinguished - BHPian

Even I second using Shell Advance AX7. It was my third oil used in my dio. First was factory filled till 330kms. Next was Honda oil till 750kms. After that ran on AX7 till 2000kms. Once I crossed the 2000km mark I changed to Shell advance Ultra which is fully synthetic. Now at 3600kms the oil is quite clear and shows no signs of needing replacement. Even after a service, the other dio I have at my native place with 4k kms on the ODO rides very harshly with vibrations. My scoot is butter smooth once it is warmed up for the day. In signals once the engine starts idling we have to verify that it is On if there is a lot of other traffic noise. Am going to replace it with the same oil shortly.

This time I m planning to clean the strainer too. The service advisor at HASS was so surprised to see how the vehicle was running on Synthetic that he told me to get the oil changed myself.
Old 1st October 2013, 09:39   #2619
BHPian

I am looking for a Scooter for my wife which will be used for normal shopping purposes with daily running of 5-6kms. We did read few reviews and few pages in this thread and finally confused buying either Dio or Ray Z/Ray limited edition. Did not consider Wego & Activa-i for looks which were not upto our taste. Vespa is out of budget.

The advantage with Dio is for quality, tubeless tyres, power & huge storage. The advantage with Ray is for small body & seating which suits females, telescopic front suspension & better braking than Dio.

I request new Dio HET engine owners to post about mileage and any issues facing with new Dio and its service. Also request Ray owners to post any niggles if faced with Ray and service experience. So we could make a decision to buy Dio or Ray.
Old 1st October 2013, 11:55   #2620
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighOctane View Post
I am looking for a Scooter for my wife
Also request Ray owners to post any niggles if faced with Ray and service experience. So we could make a decision to buy Dio or Ray.
For the Yamaha Ray, check this thread and the other one, which pretty much sum up all your q's regarding the Ray.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...-ray-hope.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...amaha-ray.html
riteshritesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th October 2013, 15:03   #2621
Distinguished - BHPian

Took delivery of our Cappuccino Brown Wego earlier today. It will be primarily used for daily domestic runs, mostly by wifey.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-20131006_132212.jpg

OTR came to 56,790/-. Had paid 30,000/- as advance (on booking) on September 30th so billing was done according to pre-October ex-showroom price.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-20131006_132222.jpg

Freebies given were 3K worth accessories (body guards, twin rear-view mirrors, floor mats), choice VIP number free of charge (which otherwise would cost another 2K) and they even threw in a full tank of petrol into the deal as well!

The Gearless Scooter Thread-20131006_134414.jpg

The ODO read 3 kms when I took delivery. The drive back home (via the local Danteshwari Temple where I got the puja done) was ~10 kms, and the scooter felt smooth, planted and eager to pull. The main stand, however, rattled slightly throughout the journey. Need to get that tightened.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-20131006_134429.jpg

Of course, no buying process is complete without research and TDs.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-untitled.gif

Wifey and me took an instant liking to the Wego when we TDed it the first time about 2 weeks back. Our original choice was the Activa but we got a lot of attitude and cold shoulder treatment at the Honda dealership so walked out. Didn't consider the Swish/Access because we didn't want a powerful scoot, just enough power to complete those daily runs smoothly.

Considered the newly-launched Jupiter briefly as well but it was a bit more taller than the Wego and wifey didn't feel too comfortable on it.

What tilted it in favor of the Wego was it's all-metal body, slightly lower-slung stance than the Jupiter, smooth ride quality, huge LED tail light and excellent local TVS service. Not to mention, the whole pre-ownership experience with the TVS dealer was exemplary - we got 5-star treatment every time we visited them. Honda dealers need to learn this.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-20131006_134441.jpg

Big thanks to all Wego owners, as well as ownership reports of other scooters I was considering, for their invaluable feedback which helped me in my decision-making process.

Last edited by RavenAvi : 6th October 2013 at 15:04.
RavenAvi is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 08:23   #2622
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenAvi View Post
Took delivery of our Cappuccino Brown Wego earlier today
@Ravenavi,
Congratulations on the Wego. Hope you get to ride too although thats for your wife.

Had to tell you this, the seat cover and the scooter colour are a big mismatch. I hope you will get a new seat cover.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th October 2013, 12:26   #2623
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
@Ravenavi,
Congratulations on the Wego. Hope you get to ride too although thats for your wife.

Had to tell you this, the seat cover and the scooter colour are a big mismatch. I hope you will get a new seat cover.
Thanks. I hope so, too!

Well, the seat cover is a freebie (bundled with the free accessories), and I think that was the closest shade they had in their store to match the Cappuccino Brown of the scoot, so I didn't complain. Maybe in the near future I'll go for a more proper one.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:11   #2624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Hehe. You took the words out of my mouth. Further, I personally feel those aluminium rods( aka protection guards) running amok any scooter, take away the original beauty of the scooty. I have kept my scooty bare and cry when I look at scooty's with those guards on.
Old 7th October 2013, 15:59   #2625
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by blorebuddy View Post
We are planning to upgrade from scooty to a good 100+CC scooter.
We are highly confused between the options Activa and Wego

Why do we want to consider the following?
Thoughts of a Wego Owner (Purchase date 15th Feb 2011 for my wife) - Clocked 19500 kms till now.
1.) The vehicle wasn't reliable & it was lesson learnt the hard way . The initial batch had the following problems
  • Faulty carburetor (erratic idling)
    Loose Center stand spring (used to go up and down at high speeds)
    Faulty maintenance free battery
    Vehicle switching off at high speeds
    Front wheel wobbling
    Dangerous and slippery tyres on wet surface, prone to punctures
    Weak headlights, bad brakes

2.) TVS service center refused to change the above parts, they expected the parts to fail before replacing them... This is clearly taking the customer for a ride, it is like saying "When the carburetor fails & you are stranded in the middle of no where, you will be eligible for replacement"

Finally when I was out of the warranty period, every thing started failing:
1.) Starter motor & associated coil (1400/-)
2.) Replaced maintenance free battery (1100/-)
3.) Front suspension fork - lathe work (400/-)
4.) Front suspension bearing (1200/-)

I would never buy a TVS again.
Mr_Bean is offline   (3) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks