Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th April 2013, 10:59   #2461
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

The 2 wheeler manufacturers have quitely hiked the prices of the vehicles to offset the increased freight charges. The increased charges are with effect April 1, 2013. Honda has hiked the cost of 2 wheelers in the range of Rs 200-800, Bajaj in the range of Rs 300-500 and TVS in the range of 0.25 to 0.5% of the vehicles cost.

http://post.jagran.com/twowheelers-g...-as-1366259613
Old 19th April 2013, 11:24   #2462

Re: Wego travails

Ditto here Vikram,
This is my story.

26 months of ownership and 15000 kms with my TVS Wego.
Problems faced:
1. Transmission Oil Leakage - Happened 2 times in the first year. Not anymore.
2. Kick lever assembly - This happened two months back. Kick lever goes up & down without start. I haven't replaced the battery yet, complicates the problem. But, now it is fine.
3. Battery is pathetic in Wego (2011) models. My battery is almost dead.
4. Speedometer cable and headlight switch - Speedometer cable replaced under warranty, headlight switch replaced after the warranty.
5. Break wire replaced - Sometimes, I feel that the break is not as responsive as it was originally. Anyways, Wego travels best at 55-60kmph, no point in going beyond that speed.
6. Wego hates water bath - For all the wego owners, wego hates water for sure. Whenever I have given it for water wash, it takes atleast 15 mins of kick start for it to start. No water bath for Wego .
Did anyone else face similar problems with Wego.

Positives:
1. Still get a comfortable 40-45kmpl.
2. Only once I had a flat tyre. This is inspite of travelling on some of the worst roads.
3. Ride quality is very good. Doesn't put lot of strains on the body.
4. I had a head-on collision with a great soul who thought that they allow you drive the american way in IT highway. Vehicle bore full impact w/o much damage. The body of Wego is really good.

As my battery is of no great use, I use only kick-start in the mornings, it usually starts with the first kick. But, did have starting problems a couple of times, Never used choke/start switch for starting (excluding waterwash incidents). My vehicle is serviced at regular intervals. (Century TVS in Pune/ Ramkay TVS in Chennai now).

Are there anyone with later Wego models other than 2011. Mine is brought in Jan 2011. May be they can add their cup of woes/ positives here. In later Wego models, it seems they increased the capacity of the battery and made some changes with the headlight/wire assembly.

I am satisfied with my Wego though. At that time, the choices weren't great either.

Last edited by GTO : 20th April 2013 at 15:52. Reason: Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.
ks14 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 12:58   #2463
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks14 View Post
Ditto here Vikram. This is my story.
Agree with you on the positives part. Decent mileage, comfy seating position [at least for a person of medium height] and good ride quality [even with pillion] are the USPs of the Wego. I'm trying to find out if I can buy the extended warranty at this point in my ownership. If yes, then I will keep the vehicle for another 2-3 years, else bye-bye to it. I cannot afford to pay for oil seals and broken kick start repairs out of pocket.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th April 2013, 13:09   #2464

Agreed Vikram. We were used as the guinea pigs unfortunately. In my opinion, it is best to get away with the defective vehicle asap. Does an extended waranty help here. Don't wait for the vehicle to break-down in your 40km daily travel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Agree with you on the positives part. Decent mileage, comfy seating position [at least for a person of medium height] and good ride quality [even with pillion] are the USPs of the Wego. I'm trying to find out if I can buy the extended warranty at this point in my ownership. If yes, then I will keep the vehicle for another 2-3 years, else bye-bye to it. I cannot afford to pay for oil seals and broken kick start repairs out of pocket.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 19th April 2013, 15:11   #2465
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I'm trying to find out if I can buy the extended warranty at this point in my ownership. If yes, then I will keep the vehicle for another 2-3 years, else bye-bye to it.
When i was buying the Wego in 2012, I was told that I have to decide on the extended warranty within 90 days of purchasing the vehicle. But anyways no harm in trying to procure it from your dealer if available as an option.
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th April 2013, 19:55   #2466
BHPian

Has anyone bought Honda shooters with their new HET engine? Does it really give mileage of 60 kms/ltr, or how much petrol does really consume in city traffic?

Last edited by Mpower : 19th April 2013 at 23:01. Reason: typo
Old 19th April 2013, 22:02   #2467
BHPian

Can agree on the fact that Battery is a real problem area with the Wego.

Having bought a Wego 2 years ago (April 2012 and 7800 Kms to date), have had a few occasions (5 to be precise) where the Wego would stall while at idling speeds and after that no matter what was done, the vehicle would not start.

4 of the 5 times the vehicle had to taken to a local garage, where it would start after they tinkered around with it. Nothing specific and no amount of diagnosis could point to what went wrong. In the meantime besides this issue, there were no other issues with the unit.

On the 5th instance, it started off after being just left alone overnight.

After the 5th instance, things pointed to some issue with the battery and once i insisted on this, the TVS service center swapped out the Maintenance free Battery (Make: Amaron) (this one came as standard fitment) with a regular battery (Make : Exide).

After the battery was replaced, which was roughly 7 months ago, i have not had any further issues with the abrupt stoppage.

As far usage of the vehicle goes, i always start off with the kick start to bring it from the dead and then use the self starter (and consequently the battery) for all subsequent starts.

Have just have had one other instance where the speedo/odo cable had to changed.

Overall the vehicle as per my observations has been a good ride with a consistent mileage of 45+ (40 plus - city and 50 plus - highway).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ks14 View Post
Ditto here Vikram,
This is my story.

========
I am satisfied with my Wego though. At that time, the choices weren't great either.
Old 20th April 2013, 11:33   #2468
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Has anyone bought Honda shooters with their new HET engine? Does it really give mileage of 60 kms/ltr, or how much petrol does really consume in city traffic?
You can realistically expect around 45kmpl +- 5 in city conditions. My Dio (pre HET)gives an average of 45 kmpl in the city. HET would add around 2 kmpl to this max. Don't expect anything above 50 kmpl with HET.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2013, 10:25   #2469
Senior - BHPian

What is the mileage of Vespa LX125? Is there any service centre in an around Mira Bhayander? I am asking this as the indicative price lists Mira Bhayander as an area.
Old 7th May 2013, 22:15   #2470
BHPian

Have booked DIO from Whitefield Dream Honda, white colour. Delivery time quoted is 30-40 days. I was under a impression they are available off the shelf. The waiting period came as shocker!
Old 8th May 2013, 10:22   #2471
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Have booked DIO from Whitefield Dream Honda, white colour. Delivery time quoted is 30-40 days. I was under a impression they are available off the shelf. The waiting period came as shocker!
Did you check with other dealers? In Chennai the waiting period is more for Dio while the Activa is available off the shelf, but the quoted time of 30-40 days seems to be on the higher side. I got mine in 10 days in August last year.
longhorn is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2013, 10:39   #2472
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shijinpr View Post
Guess demand has gone up again and hence the wait. Did you take it under finance? I got mine in two days after I gave the full amount by cheque. Which colour?

Btw my dio is returning just 38kmpl, tankfull to tankfull. Not sure what I must do now. Think I will wait for sometime before taking any action.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:01   #2473
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Btw my dio is returning just 38kmpl, tankfull to tankfull. Not sure what I must do now. Think I will wait for sometime before taking any action.
I did get a 37.xx figure on a couple of fill ups. The small tank will have a direct bearing on FE readings if tankfull is not actually tankfull (due to air in the tank). My long term average as of now is ~ 45kmpl. If you are getting 38 kmpl consistently, check if the idle rpm is on the higher side. Again, bumper to bumper traffic, waiting at signals for more than 1 min with the engine running, quick acceleration/deceleration, short runs <5 kms etc would take a toll on the FE. I do see a definite 2kmpl jump + a smoother and silent engine in winter when the air is denser.

Last edited by longhorn : 8th May 2013 at 11:03.
Old 8th May 2013, 11:04   #2474
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtak View Post
What is the mileage of Vespa LX125? Is there any service centre in an around Mira Bhayander? I am asking this as the indicative price lists Mira Bhayander as an area.
In my 3 months /1100km of ownership i have recorded average mileage between 35-40kmpl.

Still have second service to be done ,the s.a said it will gradually go up.
Old 8th May 2013, 13:52   #2475
BHPian

Honda Activa / Dio vs TVS Wego!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
Hi Guys,

Please suggest a gearless scooter form among the below candidates:

1) Honda Dio (new)
2) Suzuki Swish
3) TVS Wego

User :

Myself, a 33yr old male. Already have a CBR250 and a Honda City. Need this primarily for running small errands close to home. Very low usage expected less than 3~5kms per day.

My Top Priorities :

- Comfortable low speed ride on bad (read pot holed) roads.
- Good headlight illumination
- Trouble free & dependability
- Stylish looks
- Responsiveness

Not so important :

- Fuel Economy (Mileage)
- On road Price

The Honda Aviator DLX was initially on the top of my list, but i had to strike it off after riding one belonging to my friend as I found the seat height a tad too high for me

So guys, please do give your suggestions and share any feedback / tips regarding any of the above models.
So in Nov 2012, I finally picked up a sporty White TVS Wego

The Gearless Scooter Thread-wego.jpg

The main points that contributed to my desicion were:

- Telescopic Front Suspension
- Larger 12" tyres bot front & rear
- Gas charged rear shock absorber
- Very convient external Fuel Filler Lid
- Extremely easy to use Centre Stand
- Upgraded 5AH Battery & higher rated (120w) alternator to solve the battery problems faced by earlier gen wegos
- This more powerful electrical system allowed me a simple swap upgrade from the 35/35w H4 OE bulb to a Philips Xtreme Vision 55/60w H4 bulb!

Also, many accessories, some which you need to buy seperately with the Honda, come as OE fitment on the Wego:

- Side Stand
- Indicator Buzzer
- Front glovebox
- Both Number plates
- Floor mat

Last but not least, NO WAITING!

Neither for purchase, not for service!

The fact that our Local TVS service centre remains open on Sundays is another bonus.

Post the purchase, I swapped the OE 35/35w headlamp bulb with a much more powerful Philips Extreme Vision 55/60w H4 bulb

The Gearless Scooter Thread-xtreme-vision1.jpg

Originl bulb..
The Gearless Scooter Thread-oem-halonix-hs1-35w35.jpg

Replaced bulb..
The Gearless Scooter Thread-philips-h4-55w60.jpg

Low beam on friends 1st gen activa..
The Gearless Scooter Thread-activa-low-beam.jpg

Low beam on wego with upgraded bulb..
The Gearless Scooter Thread-wego-low-beam.jpg

High beam on friends 1st gen activa..
The Gearless Scooter Thread-activa-ligh-beam.jpg

High beam on wego with upgraded bulb..