Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 1st February 2013, 11:46   #2386
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by prajwalkashyap View Post
I had a situation when the battery was low and the thumb start wouldn't work at the signals. I found it extremely convenient to just hold the scoot with the left hand while I am standing and kick start. I would then hop on the scoot and accelerate away. This has happened to my wife as well and she found it too convenient since when this happened on the Activa, it was so inconvenient to put the scoot on the centre stand in the middle of the road while a million cars behind would honk away.
Prajwal
This is a very relevant point for a scooter.

Even I feel that the kick start lever in Activa and other such scooters is placed in a very awkward position because of which one has to put the scooter on the main stand, go behind the scooter and kick it.

The kick start arrangement in Wego is much more convenient. It is not mandatory to put the scooter on centre stand to kick start it. Even if you decide to put it on centre stand, you don't have to go behind the scooter to kick start it.

I used to have a Kinetic Honda in my college days. Even in that scooter, the kick start mechanism was similar to TVS Wego.

Rohan
Old 1st February 2013, 13:38   #2387
Distinguished - BHPian

Have a query for the scooter experts here and will need your recommendations.

Looking to buy a scooter for my wife. I have shortlisted the below models and we will be test riding these very soon.

1. Suzuki Access 125
2. Suzuki Swish 125
3. TVS Wego
4. Yamaha Ray.

Disregarded Honda for two reasons, attitude of the dealers (take it or leave it attitude) and off late seeing the new version activas and Dios having opened up for the bore seizure and is not giving +ve vibes to buy this scooter.

There will be 50-50 usage between my wife and myself.

By the way, any of these scooters we are looking at white to match my Linea
Old 1st February 2013, 13:42   #2388
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nkrishnap View Post
Have a query for the scooter experts here and will need your recommendations.

Looking to buy a scooter for my wife. I have shortlisted the below models and we will be test riding these very soon.

1. Suzuki Access 125
2. Suzuki Swish 125
3. TVS Wego
4. Yamaha Ray.

Disregarded Honda for two reasons, attitude of the dealers (take it or leave it attitude) and off late seeing the new version activas and Dios having opened up for the bore seizure and is not giving +ve vibes to buy this scooter.

There will be 50-50 usage between my wife and myself.

TVS Wego! No second thoughts about it. And it looks elegant in white !

I suggest you TD all the scoots and wego at the end. You will instantly notice what is missing in the remaining 3 you have ridden.
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 13:45   #2389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
TVS Wego! No second thoughts about it. And it looks elegant in white !

I suggest you TD all the scoots and wego at the end. You will instantly notice what is missing in the remaining 3 you have ridden.
I have ridden the access 125 and Wego long ago, but definitely not back to back.

Will test ride these along with my wife and see what she has to tell as well, because she would be the primary user of the scooter, when she is not around, i will have the keys.
Old 1st February 2013, 13:48   #2390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Suzuki Access 125
2. Suzuki Swish 125
3. TVS Wego
4. Yamaha Ray.

Lets get the color out of the way first. White in Access & Wego looks very good. Ray is yet to come out with white. I think from this month on they have White in showrooms but yet to see it in flesh. Swish is double colored.

Otherwise, all the 4 scooters have telescopic front suspension while Wego is the only one in the list which has 12inch wheels as well. Performance wise, you will find a wee bit of difference in the Access/Swish vs Wego/Ray.

FE wise, the Suzuki cousins are a bit low compared to the others. Wego is returning a healthy 43kmpl in my daily runs and i am mostly over 60kmph for majority of the distance. Ray seems to be returning similar numbers to fellow member yikes who has an ownership thread running.

Size wise, Wego and Ray would feel really small once astride but these aid their handling abilities too! So take your pick. (Go with the white that best suits your Linea)
abhinav.s is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st February 2013, 13:52   #2391
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
1. Suzuki Access 125
2. Suzuki Swish 125
3. TVS Wego
4. Yamaha Ray.

Disregarded Honda for two reasons, attitude of the dealers (take it or leave it attitude) and off late seeing the new version activas.
Access and Swish are from the same family, so the choice should be between the three - Swish (my suggestion), Ray and Wego. Test ride the three and lets know what you feel about them. My personal choice - Suzuki Swish.

Can understand about your aversion to Honda. Honda website shows a new colour for Activa - Wild Purple metallic. Looks horribly bright, anyone has seen this colour in person?
Old 1st February 2013, 13:56   #2392
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
the new version activas and Dios having opened up for the bore seizure and is not giving +ve vibes to buy this scooter.

:
Where did you come across this? Concerns me I must say.
Old 1st February 2013, 13:59   #2393
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Can understand about your aversion to Honda.
Even ignoring the dealer attitude, the vehicle is not giving me positive vibes. Let me explain it.

Had 3 instances of 2 Activas and 1 Dio engine opened up when I went to get my bike serviced from a Non honda service center.

The activa and Dio engines are same (new versions). The first 2 had idiling problem. Whatever is being done, the idling was erratic and was not stable. Not acceptable on a new scooter.

The Dio had an engine seizure due to the oil flow problem. Oil levels were alright and had been through the authorized service center.

To add to it, my friend who runs the garage, did not recommend the Honda twins citing too many complaints off late. Though he makes money out of repairs, did not suggest these two to me.
Old 1st February 2013, 14:01   #2394
BHPian

I'm also looking for a e-bike, to be used by my wife. Daily commute of under 5km. I definitely do not want to spend on fuel and not more than 25k on this vehicle and that's the main reason for this decision. A regular battery assisted cycle is also fine with me. I'm well aware of the limitations of e-bikes namely, low range, low speed, low loading capacity etc. But that suits my wife's driving skills and hence the plunge.

I have the following choices.
BSA
Hercules Thunderbolt
Electra
Street
Fusion

Ampere Bikes

Hero Electric
Hero E-Sprint
Hero Optima Plus
Hero Maxi
Hero Wave DX

YO Bikes

Apart from these, a lot of no-name scooters here.

Any suggestions from users ?
Old 1st February 2013, 14:02   #2395
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Where did you come across this? Concerns me I must say.
I don't know if you have heard of Rajesh (the erstwhile best guy to service bikes in Zen Motors Bull Temple Road). He is running his own garage now. Got to see these first hand.

Though the owner's negligence might have contributed to it, but still its something to ponder about.

I would compromise a couple of kmpl less than having to give the scooter for engine repairs.
Old 1st February 2013, 14:06   #2396
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The activa and Dio engines are same (new versions). The first 2 had idiling problem. Whatever is being done, the idling was erratic and was not stable. Not acceptable on a new scooter.

The Dio had an engine seizure due to the oil flow problem. Oil levels were alright and had been through the authorized service center.
Dio understandably must have had some factory issues and would have been anyways looked into by the Honda workshop under warranty as you said was new. Surprising it made to your friend's workshop.

Regarding Activa, the idling is adjusted during the first free service when the engine frees up. Could have been adjusted to requirement if needed. What different is the non Honda service centre going to do apart from adjusting the idling?
Old 1st February 2013, 14:14   #2397
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Dio understandably must have had some factory issues and would have been anyways looked into by the Honda workshop under warranty as you said was new. Surprising it made to your friend's workshop.

Regarding Activa, the idling is adjusted during the first free service when the engine frees up. Could have been adjusted to requirement if needed. What different is the non Honda service centre going to do apart from adjusting the idling?
Sorry I did not explain it to you properly, its not to do with the Carb tuning. The engine was not holding up the idling, due to a timing and tappet related issue.

Since the Honda guys had no clue how to resolve this, the scooter ended up in my friends garage.
Old 1st February 2013, 14:17   #2398
Distinguished - BHPian

Erratic idling does exist in my dio, that is as the engine gets hotter, idle speed also increases. Thats due to a bad tune up I think. Will look into that later. But what was the distance run on the odo? If it were new, obviously the job would be civered under warranty.
Old 2nd February 2013, 15:50   #2399
BHPian

i got my new Suzuki swish folks recently . It handles like a dream after changing to tubeless tires .
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-memo-041.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-memo-038.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-memo-066.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-memo-087.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-memo-084.jpg  

Old 3rd February 2013, 10:27   #2400
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidharth_supra View Post
i got my new Suzuki swish folks recently . It handles like a dream after changing to tubeless tires .
Congratulations on the purchase.

Did you swap to tubeless tyres at the dealership itself or from a tyre shop ? How much was the additional cost ? What brand ?

Is it the same size as that Honda Activa/Dio tyre ?

Rohan
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks