Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st January 2013, 10:34   #2356
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Is it the old activa or the current version? I am managing exactly 40kmpl from start in my dio. Tankfull takes in 4 liters for around 161-163kms. And this is better compared to what others say, in the 35-40 range. I do drive sedately, but my commutes are short distances, so I am not sure if this is a problem.
This is the current version Activa. I had been getting 43-45 kmpl regularly but this time I was pleasantly surprised. Noted the odo when I went in for a refuel, will be calculating again. I had been doing commutes of 14-15 kms to & fro many a times in the past couple of weeks. This includes half of the time in heavy traffic (small stretches) and almost all the times single driving, no loads at all.
Old 21st January 2013, 15:59   #2357
BHPian

We have decided to get a moto scooter for shorter daily ride. Since saturday being weekend and we don't have any plan, decided to head for showrooms to have a look and test drive the scoots.

I have shortlisted two, Honda Dio and TVS Wego.
Honda Dio for its looks and being from Honda.
Wego even though not very good looking, considerred for its body balancing thing, which i think will help women much in panic braking.

Rejected Activa as it is being too common on road, Access was not considered since it looks dull and its almost same alike Activa.

First went for Honda showroom in Ashok Nagar, It was very much like a Govt. E.B. office. Not only the appearance of the showroom, also the courtesy of staffs were pretty much the same. We enterred into the showroom as a family and no one bothers, all were busy with some works. Then we thought of looking ourself the Dio but there was no show piece out there. So we left the showroom, seeing nothing and dont spoke a single word to anyone out there. The staff too doesn't bother.

Then went to TVS showroom on 100 ft road Ashok Nagar, The showroom looks like a godown, plenty of two wheelers and they have 8+ scooty's, 6+ Freaks, 3+ wego standing as a showpiece in addition to Appaches and other TVS products. Its a small show room and filled up with many show pieces. But unlike Honda, the showroom staffs were pleasing and welcoming (It was like going inside Maruti showroom). The guy who attend us, shown us the Wego and also took us to the ground floor to show all colors available. And he also offered a Test drive.

Wego is very easy to drive thats for sure. It is light, and defently confident inspiring while applying breaks. The scoot doesn't looses its posture even if we apply the front break alone. Riding wise its good. I was really impressed. the only -ve for me on this scoot is that it looks thin. I'am 6.2 and the lady who gona ride is also a bit more taller than normal. I somewhat like the fatter ones.
Got the quotation for Wego the on road price comes to 57~ and left.

Then went to Honda showroom in Anna nagar, Unlike Ashok nagar this showroom contains some staff to interact, but they dont have a show piece. Also they doesn't arrange for a test drive as they dont give one after 6.00 pm.

Then i insist to have a look at the scoot, The guy sent us to the godown (He doesnt bothers to accompany) and ask us to check for a person named X and he will show the scoots. Went there, had a look, the look seems impressive but i felt the handle bar is more tilted towards the rider which i thought will be bit uncomfortable for taller people. I reserve my comment till i take a test drive.

Then we went down and ask for quotation, The guy gave us the quotation and informed that Honda stopped the Green and Purple color from Dio and bring in the Yellow!!. Actually we decided for some flashy colors. So yellow makes us 'Wow'. He also added that now it will take one month to get the delivery. We said its too early to decide, since we dint took a test drive. Got the quot in hand and left. On road comes to 53~

One thing to note, In case of Wego on road price includes Rear view mirrors, Seat cover and side stand. Yes these are all including Side stand and number plates are accessories according to Honda .
Soon tyres are gona be accessories i guess

On our way back thought of dropping in to Vespa showroom just to have a look (being pricey and thin it was not on my list, but just thought of having a look), but by the time we reach, it was 7.40+ and the showroom was about to closed, the guard said "Closed for the day sir." .
Old 21st January 2013, 16:49   #2358
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Yes these are all including Side stand and number plates are accessories according to Honda .
Soon tyres are gona be accessories i guess
You can expect Honda to brand the tyres as accessories when they can claim the number plate as one. Had recently gone to the Honda showroom to get a front registration number sticker as the existing one had been torn in half. The guys at the showroom initially smirked at getting a new one since it was time for them to leave. A casual mention of the owner made them sprint and voila the stickered number plate was bought and pasted. The SA went a step further to replace the number stickers which had partially come off on the rear number plate.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:29   #2359
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
Wego is very easy to drive thats for sure. It is light, and defently confident inspiring while applying breaks. The scoot doesn't looses its posture even if we apply the front break alone. Riding wise its good. I was really impressed. the only -ve for me on this scoot is that it looks thin. I'am 6.2 and the lady who gona ride is also a bit more taller than normal. I somewhat like the fatter ones.
Got the quotation for Wego the on road price comes to 57~ and left.
When I was on the lookout for a gear less scoot, I had tried the Aviator and Wego. I am also 6'2". After test driving both and based on similar experiences of customer service, I went in with the Wego. 2 years on, no regrets on the bike, touchwood Had a problem with the battery for cold starts, but it was replaced under warranty.

You can also give the Access a try.
Old 23rd January 2013, 09:57   #2360
Distinguished - BHPian

Yesterday, I got an opportunity to ride the white dio that I had spoken about in my native place. It had run 2k kms on the odo(speedo not working so I think it has covered more kms) so I thought it was good enough for some testing on the NH4. As soon as I cranked it, the engine started with a shudder. It was running at idle with noticeable vibrations. I was shocked, as this was totally different from my dio. Once I started riding it, I couldn't believe that I was actually riding a dio. The scoot was so coarse and jerky. As expected, my uncle, who is the user has not run in the scoot and has used it on the highways, for extended periods of time at higher speeds. The engine was zippy enough, but that was not done in a smooth manner. Sudden accelaration would give out lots of vibrations.

I managed to reach a 73kmph on the GPS and nearing 80kmph on the speedo. The engine had lost its steam. Though the engine is smooth at high speeds, in lower speeds it vibrates a lot. Moreover, my dio does 60kmph with less than half throttle open, whereas this one had to be twisted completely. So in the end, I think some damage has been made to the engine due to improper running in. But not sure if this is permanent or temporary.

From this experience, I understood how running in can impact the behaviour of the vehicle. Same way, I request all members to religiously run in their scoot as carefully as possible, in order to benefit in terms of refinement of the engine and its life. I expected the older scoot to be better than my new dio, but it was totally the opposite. Have sent my uncles dio to service today, lets see if they can do something to it. The mechanic says that most two wheelers come in with packed engines as early as 35-40k kms, which was a shocker to me. When I asked how much a carefully maintained engine can last, he stated double the distance. So I think maintenance matters a lot too, as these engines run at higher stress levels and speeds compared to a car engine or the like.
Old 23rd January 2013, 12:19   #2361
BHPian

Mahindra Duro!
Guys you would really like this, VFM to the hilt. I guess the draw backs do not really matter, look at the positive points in this deal. link-
http://www.snapdeal.com/product/mahi...d_automotive_1
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:10   #2362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
..........The mechanic says that most two wheelers come in with packed engines as early as 35-40k kms, which was a shocker to me. When I asked how much a carefully maintained engine can last, he stated double the distance. So I think maintenance matters a lot too, as these engines run at higher stress levels and speeds compared to a car engine or the like.
I know a first gen Activa in my apartment which is nearing 1 lakh kms and still very smooth. No signs anywhere of the engine ageing. Single owner/rider usage and religious oil changes. Servicing every 5k kms.

I think most engines will last more than a lakh kms if maintained well. But as Audioholic said, careful running in is crucial in the life of any automobile.

Prajwal
Old 23rd January 2013, 13:53   #2363
BHPian

Came across this article on autocarindia http://www.autocarindia.com/Feature/...ay.aspxhttp://

The Ray shines again!
Old 24th January 2013, 15:10   #2364
Senior - BHPian

Honda have upgraded their gearless scooter range with upgraded engines (HET) for 2013 model year. Webiste now claims a mileage of 60 kmpl for the Activa/Aviator and Dio for the Honda Eco Technology equipped engines.
My 2012 Dio now gives me 51 kmpl to the litre in Chennai. Not sure if it's because of the cool Jan weather or because of 3000 kms being completed. I used to get between 44-45 kmpl until now.
Old 24th January 2013, 15:55   #2365
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
Honda have upgraded their gearless scooter range with upgraded engines (HET) for 2013 model year. Webiste now claims a mileage of 60 kmpl for the Activa/Aviator and Dio for the Honda Eco Technology equipped engines.
My 2012 Dio now gives me 51 kmpl to the litre in Chennai. Not sure if it's because of the cool Jan weather or because of 3000 kms being completed. I used to get between 44-45 kmpl until now.
Thats great news for new buyers like me.

So the 2013 models of Honda scooters will come with HET badging on the sides ?

I am about to purchase a scooter and was wondering how to make out the difference between 2012 and 2013 models. I guess Honda has made is easy by putting the HET badging on the 2013 models.

Rohan
Old 24th January 2013, 15:59   #2366
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Thats great news for new buyers like me.

So the 2013 models of Honda scooters will come with HET badging on the sides ?

I am about to purchase a scooter and was wondering how to make out the difference between 2012 and 2013 models. I guess Honda has made is easy by putting the HET badging on the 2013 models.

Rohan
That's absolutely right. And if your looking for a particular yellow Dio, you don't need to even look for the badge !
Old 24th January 2013, 16:18   #2367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhorn View Post
That's absolutely right. And if your looking for a particular yellow Dio, you don't need to even look for the badge !
We are yet to decide between Activa and Dio. I like the mature look of Activa, whereas wifey prefers the youthful look of Dio.

I just noticed on the Honda website that now all 3 honda scooters come with tubeless tyres.

But the battery of Activa has been downgraded from 5Ah to 3Ah.

Rohan
Old 24th January 2013, 16:36   #2368
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I just noticed on the Honda website that now all 3 honda scooters come with tubeless tyres.
But the battery of Activa has been downgraded from 5Ah to 3Ah.
So does it mean that the Tuff up tubes have been replaced with tubeless tyres? Downgrading the battery in Activa means starting the scooter on battery will be a pain. So have the headlamps also been downgraded?
Old 25th January 2013, 10:14   #2369
Senior - BHPian

Coming back to the point of me buying a 2 wheeler for wifey; we have deferred the decision till May and was wondering if something new would come up by then? I am yet to see a Wego with discs on the road yet. Nothing is on the website as well. Last time I wanted to buy the Wego but it was not launched in MH and hence ended up getting the Dio.
Old 25th January 2013, 14:46   #2370
BHPian

The Activa or Dio, both are relatively heavy to handle if she is approximately 5 Feet tall.

You should ask her to do a TD of TVS Scooty PEP, it is a solid vehicle.

Also, TVS has a good dealer network in almost all Tier 1 and Tier 2 cities.

The mileage on this vehicle is also good, however that might not matter so much since you only need it for ad hoc chores.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks