Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2013, 12:29   #2506
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Got it from a shop selling motorcycle spares in Kadirenhalli a little off the ring road. AK Traders must at least have the normal 35/35w ones I feel.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 15:53   #2507
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Hello everyone,
I am in the market for a scooter (for my wife) with a budget of around 50K, 55K being the hard limit. Our preferences are for a light weight and slim bikes with no compromise on power. So, we have short-listed a few, though I must admit we haven't considered all the available ones in the market:
(1) Yamaha Ray, (2) Honda Dio and (3) Mahindra Rodeo std
I am in a similar situation right now. Last weekend I visited Honda, Yamaha, TVS and Hero dealerships to have a look and TD the scooters.

Honda scooters were ruled out immediately because of waiting period, attitude of sales staff and also because of the product itself (Dio did not feel lightweight or slim. Also suspension setup is not comfortable).

I am seriously considering Yamaha Ray. Only drawback is less storage space under the seat, can't fit a full face helmet. Otherwise lovely scooter, especially for ladies and short to medium height males.

Did consider TVS Wego also, but the pillion seat is too high. I had a tough time trying to sit on the pillion seat (I'm 5'8"). Otherwise good scooter, though lot of existing owners have complained about leakages and other issues. This is something I can't stand in a brand new vehicle, or even in a 15 year old vehicle.

Also took a TD of Hero Pleasure. Not bad, but the design is a bit too girly for my taste and the model is a bit too old in the market.

I did not consider Mahindra 2-wheelers at all because of bad reviews.

Rohan
rohan_iitr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th June 2013, 18:01   #2508
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Honda scooters were ruled out immediately because of waiting period, attitude of sales staff and also because of the product itself (Dio did not feel lightweight or slim. Also suspension setup is not comfortable).

I am seriously considering Yamaha Ray. Only drawback is less storage space under the seat, can't fit a full face helmet. Otherwise lovely scooter, especially for ladies and short to medium height males.
Totally agree about the Honda people's attitude. They simply don't care and if not for our people's 'adjusting' mentality, they won't be selling any vehicles for their terrible attitude.

Anyway, I have gone ahead and booked a Ray and will be getting it in a day or two.
Old 13th June 2013, 08:22   #2509
BHPian

Hello everyone,
My Father needs a gearless scooter for about 10 km in city commute. He had been riding a Yezdi since 1985 and then my P150 occasionally. But after meeting with an accident he had a fracture in his right hip joint and had to undergo an operation. The vehicle must be light with a strong ASS. Any suggestions are welcome.
P.S.: He is 55 and has been riding for the last 40 years.
Old 13th June 2013, 08:43   #2510
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by prakash_ajp View Post
Totally agree about the Honda people's attitude. They simply don't care and if not for our people's 'adjusting' mentality, they won't be selling any vehicles for their terrible attitude.
The best way to tackle such dealers is to complain on the Honda 2 wheeler website. Honda does take the online complaints seriously and will pull up the dealer. Dont be surprised if you get a call from the dealer and some special treatment.

Agreed that you have gone ahead and booked a different vehicle but atleast the future customers will be benefited. T-BHP's responsibility does not end with choosing a different vehicle but to also ensure that such dealers are pulled by their ears.
Old 13th June 2013, 11:38   #2511
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
The best way to tackle such dealers is to complain on the Honda 2 wheeler website. Honda does take the online complaints seriously and will pull up the dealer. Dont be surprised if you get a call from the dealer and some special treatment.
Right, I would have considered that if I didn't have an alternative or if I was desperate for a Honda bike. Besides, the sadist (for want of a better term) in me also feels that the dealer doesn't deserve my business. They can't expect my help to correct their problem. They need to fix it themselves.

Just think about this - I went there twice and on both occasions people were either scurrying around or busy at their desk and even when I went to someone, I had to literally interrupt them so that I can get their attention, which alas was very short too.
Old 13th June 2013, 13:45   #2512
BHPian

I used to have a Bajaj Wave since last five years which I recently sold for a princely sum of Rs 6000 and bought a Honda Activa. Whereas my Wave used to start first kick even after standing for a week, the Activa (HET model) just doesn't start with the kick, one has to kich it 10-15 times and use the starter for another 4-5 times before the engine decides to start. Honda service is as bad as ever.
Old 13th June 2013, 14:11   #2513
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
my Wave used to start first kick even after standing for a week, the Activa (HET model) just doesn't start with the kick, one has to kich it 10-15 times and use the starter for another 4-5 times before the engine decides to start. Honda service is as bad as ever.
Guess we share the same experience. My wave, not being used now, still starts in the first kick to life even after a week or so. My dio has failed to start without the choke in the morning. However, with choke, the dio starts the very first time. Guess the fuel mixture is not correct in your vehicle. The situation will slowly improve. Now my scoot is at 2.5k kms running on synthetic oil and cold start is definitely better than what it was before.
Old 13th June 2013, 14:16   #2514
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by windiesel View Post
the Activa (HET model) just doesn't start with the kick, one has to kich it 10-15 times and use the starter for another 4-5 times before the engine decides to start. Honda service is as bad as ever.
I have given up on this manual starting problem with the Activa. Even with choke on, atleast 15 kicks are a must to bring the engine to life. My legs get tired of kicking, but Activa does not get tired of not waking up every time. Have highlighted this issue a min of 5-6 times to the workshop and everytime after the service the Activa starts with the first manual kick and as the days go by it comes down to 15 kicks right before the next service.

Shoddy service and bad assurances from Honda.
Old 13th June 2013, 15:00   #2515
BHPian

Hi Guys,

I had booked a Honda Dio for my wife; finally received the delivery yesterday. Honda should do something to improve the way their dealership people behave with the customers. The entire booking to delivery experience could have been much better.

Firstly, when we visited the dealership to check out the Dio, it felt as if no one is bothered to attend to us. Finally after a few minutes, an executive walked up and helped us with the brochure and price quote. I was told that the waiting period is 60 days; we paid up the booking amount (Rs. 5,000) and were told to pay up the remaining money when vehicle allotment would be done.

After 60 days, I received a call from them that the vehicle has arrived at their stockyard and I had to submit my documents and pay up the remaining amount; since the vehicle was to be purchased on my wife's name, we submitted her documents. This is where the drama started.

We were told that all the documents should be attested and they need 2 copies of each. We submitted the attested photocopies of electricity bill, wife's e-Aadhar card, Ration card, Wife's Pan card & Driver's license.

I was told by the exec that e-Aadhar card is not considered as a valid document and I have to submit the photocopy of the actual aadhar card or some other proof; This was strange considering that the Government of India itself has stated that e-Aadhar card will be considered as a valid document and will be accepted by everyone as a valid proof.

Since we have not received our aadhar card, we had no other option but to submit another document.

I then submitted my LIC policy document & my house agreement copies. Even after this, I was told to submit my LIC's premium receipt copies. I don't know why I was made to give so many documents when house agreement copy itself is a valid proof.

We (me and wife) had to visit the dealership 4-5 times which was not convenient at all. Let's forget tea or coffee, we were not even offered water which is considered as a basic etiquette. Had it not been for my wife, I would have picked up any other scooter. Since she loved the Dio, I was determined that I will buy it for her in-spite of all the odds.

Finally, we got the scooter yesterday; my wife is happy and I am relieved

My message to HMSI is :-Please feed your dealership sales force some etiquette, courtesy and manners. They need it more than anything else. They are ruining your name.

Now coming to the Dio, its a wonderful scooter. I am amazed at it's sturdiness and build quality. Everything seems well fit and tight. I picked up side stand, rear side foot step & buzzer for indicator. It seemed odd that I had to pay for number plate as an accessory. After paying 200 bucks for it, All I got is sticker on the front part and a plate at the rear. Its a rip off paying 200 bucks just for the rear number plate.

Will update more details and pics in coming days.

Last edited by Sabareesh : 13th June 2013 at 15:08.
Sabareesh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th June 2013, 11:08   #2516
BHPian

My 2008 Activa is facing starting problem after last servicing (air filter replaced). It won’t start in first few kicks even after using the choke. Prior to servicing (and replacing the air filter) it would start in first kick itself without using choke. Further during the day sometimes it refuses to self start unless choke is used. Is this due to replacement of air filter? Or some setting/adjustment gone wrong during servicing.

Anyone knows good two wheeler mechanic for gearless scooters in Pune? I am looking for my Activa, Wego and friend's Access (all out of warranty period being more than 3-4 years old).
Old 15th June 2013, 19:18   #2517
Senior - BHPian

When is the Honda Activa-i expected to reach the market ?

I enquired at a Honda dealership today and they were totally clueless.

Rohan
Old 17th June 2013, 10:11   #2518
Senior - BHPian

Our 2+ year old Access started making a ringing sound when you turn the key to ON position, even without starting the engine.
This has got something to do with water entering somewhere inside.
My question is if this is harmful or will it go away on its own?

The sound is audible when there is silence all around, but when we are outside in the middle of the traffic, we cannot hear it, since it is just 'tiny' sound.
Old 18th June 2013, 11:52   #2519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dass View Post
Suzuku Access should be good for your father. It has a lower front seat, making it easier to sit and to lower your foot while coming to a halt. Has decent under seat storage and good pickup too. I have been using it for almost two years and have liked it, except for the headlight throw, which is utter rubbish.
Yep bought the Access for INR 57500 with accessories and everything else. Am so far pretty satisfied with the purchase. Same day purchase. Activa was being sold for INR 64000 Same day with accessories, so didnt find meaning in buying an almost same vehicle with 6500 extra.
Old 19th June 2013, 19:06   #2520
BHPian

Friends actually i have an issue with my Dio. Its 6 years old and the rear tyre is slightly bald. I rotated the front to rear and vice versa. Now the grips are good but there is too much wobbling/ snake kind of ride.
Also the hand bar vibrations are extremely high. I spoke to the useless service center guys who said it has to be rectified and would cost 1500. I don't beleive these guys. I want to do it myself with some good knowledgeble mechanics. Please share your views on this. Does the wheel need any alignment or so?

Thanks in advance
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks