Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2013, 16:05   #2476
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by vikash49 View Post
- This more powerful electrical system allowed me a simple swap upgrade from the 35/35w H4 OE bulb to a Philips Xtreme Vision 55/60w H4 bulb!
You are going to fry your reflectors. The heat emitted by the Xtreme vision is way more than the stock 35/35w bulb. Keep a lookout for the reflector inside the headlight turning black.
Old 12th May 2013, 22:47   #2477

Re: Honda Activa / Dio vs TVS Wego!

[quote=vikash49;3116226]So in Nov 2012, I finally picked up a sporty White TVS Wego
Your new lamps is a very sensible one with respect to Wego.
Just wanted to know how the battery works with respect to the higher wattage of the lamp. The battery is one of the weakest links in my Wego. Is the new battery sufficient for the new lamps. Does it have any effect on the electric start performance?
Old 13th May 2013, 10:53   #2478
Distinguished - BHPian

Given that these two wheelers come with AC-DC electricals and a puny 3Ah battery, I am worried about using 60/55 which I eagerly want to use. After getting used to the heavy lighting setup of my cars, I feel that the Dio has a useless headlamp setup. Hence even I am looking forward to a swap but still not sure about it.
Old 15th May 2013, 10:34   #2479
Distinguished - BHPian

Sudden increase in mileage after service. What could be the reason?

We have a flyte that has done 12.5K kms. From the first service i was always complaining about low mileage. It was always in the range of 27-28 kmpl! No matter what the tuning was done it was not improving at all! I was also sick of it. Since the scoot was used only by my mother for a daily run of 10 kms i thought let it be as it is.

Then i got the 12.5K kms service done at a local garage. The following were changed

1. Spark plug gap- The manual mentiones 0.7mm as the spark plug gap. But these local mechanics are not aware of it and dont adjust the gap at all. They keep whatever gap the plug has come from the factory. When i insisted they increased the gap slightly but not sure if its exactly 0.7 mm. They say all plug come with a gap of 0.5 mm from the factory

2.Air filter was replaced with a new one

3. Engine oil changed to shell advanced 10W40 and gear box oil was also changed

4. Front wheel bearings changed

And a carb tuning was done.
After the service, the mileage has jumped to 35-36 kmpl!
I rechecked it during three refills and its the same. For someone who has never seen the mileage of more than 30 kmpl , i was pleasantly surprised and happy. But started thinking which of the above 4 mentioned changes has resulted in the increase in the mileage , that too by a huge margin.

Can fellow knowledgeable BHPians throw some light on this?TIA
sagarpadaki is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2013, 11:38   #2480
Senior - BHPian

Our Access completed 2 years in March and now out of warranty.
Current running is 8600 KM.
Plan is to have vehicle serviced every 4 months (earlier it was every 2 months, engine oil changed every 4 months).

I have noticed recently that engine noise is a bit coarse at low speeds (more prominent for first few KM's). My cousin hints it is a loose belt - don't know which belt.

Any ideas what could be causing this?
Hint: The engine note is a bit different - slightly rough/ coarse when you try to accelerate slowly. Sudden acceleration sounds more normal (with a slight jerk - but that is quite normal since the vehicle has a great pickup).
Old 15th May 2013, 12:46   #2481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Sudden increase in mileage after service. What could be the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarpadaki View Post
And a carb tuning was done.

But started thinking which of the above 4 mentioned changes has resulted in the increase in the mileage , that too by a huge margin.
Carb tuning is the most important step for increase in mileage OR power. A sweet spot is hard to find, and many service mechanics don't bother to tune it the right way. They only fiddle with the fuel screw, assuming that the air screw is alright. The right way of course is to adjust both, first air and then fuel screw. It is a very delicate tuning, like finding a radio station on manual radio tuner. Once you find the perfect place, you don't fiddle with it.

I manually set the carb on my GS150R 3 years ago, and the mileage was improved from 40-45 to 50-55. Afterwards, every time I tell the mechanics not to touch the carb settings.

Now that it is giving you good mileage, you should also keep in mind to tell the mechanics at every service to not fiddle with the carb setting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_U_N View Post
Any ideas what could be causing this?
Hint: The engine note is a bit different - slightly rough/ coarse when you try to accelerate slowly. Sudden acceleration sounds more normal (with a slight jerk - but that is quite normal since the vehicle has a great pickup).
Somehow, I feel that Access doesn't age too well as say activa or Aviator. ( I have both Access and Aviator of same age of 2.5 years, so can compare the two). If you feel the engine is becoming rough, you need to go to service center and not any roadside mechanics, only the SC can address to this problem. Choose a good SC for this problem, not just close to you.

Afterwards, once you got the vehicle alright, you can service it at any mechanic (no need to go to SC unless it is engine work as above). Since your usage is low, you can go for servicing once in 6 months.

I have seen one reason for coarse engine sound: no warm up in morning. Some people just keep on pressing the starter button unless the poor machine screams for a lot of time and finally starts, and quickly drive away. ALWAYS use choke for first start in morning. Give 2-3 kicks to your bike in morning for the first start, then if needed, use starter. Afterwards, wait for atleast 30 seconds - 1 minute while you compose yourself and bike idles on full/half/no clutch depending on the engine noise. You will have a smooth and efficient engine accompanying you for the rest of the day.

Last edited by ani_meher : 15th May 2013 at 12:52.
Old 15th May 2013, 19:53   #2482
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Sudden increase in mileage after service. What could be the reason?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Carb tuning is the most important step for increase in mileage OR power. A sweet spot is hard to find, and many service mechanics don't bother to tune it the right way. They only fiddle with the fuel screw, assuming that the air screw is alright. The right way of course is to adjust both, first air and then fuel screw. It is a very delicate tuning, like finding a radio station on manual radio tuner. Once you find the perfect place, you don't fiddle with it.
I manually set the carb on my GS150R 3 years ago, and the mileage was improved from 40-45 to 50-55. Afterwards, every time I tell the mechanics not to touch the carb settings.
Please educate us on how you go about tuning the carburettor. Recently the service center screwed up the tuning and mileage of my dio dropped to 35-36kmpl from its initial 40-42kmpl after I complained about misfiring.

I followed this procedure while tuning as mentioned elsewhere in the net. First increased the idling to a considerable extent by the idle screw. Then tightened the other screw untill the engine speed dropped. After that started to loosen until engine RPM rose and settled at the highest speed. From the point it settled, I loosened the screw for half a turn. Performance no problem and mileage went up to 38kmpl. Now, I just want to make sure that the mixture is ideal and not too rich or too lean. How do I ensure this?

By the way, I changed to synthetic oil in my dio and there is considerable betterment of various characteristics. Before the engine was not smooth during mornings, that has disappeared. Engine vibrations are nearly zero even at low idle speeds. Engine is smooth at all speeds. Overall, a good investment IMO. Bought a one liter can, used 700ml for the engine and 100ml for the transmission.
Old 16th May 2013, 20:07   #2483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by balenopower View Post
You are going to fry your reflectors. The heat emitted by the Xtreme vision is way more than the stock 35/35w bulb. Keep a lookout for the reflector inside the headlight turning black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ks14 View Post
Your new lamps is a very sensible one with respect to Wego.
Just wanted to know how the battery works with respect to the higher wattage of the lamp. The battery is one of the weakest links in my Wego. Is the new battery sufficient for the new lamps. Does it have any effect on the electric start performance?
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
Given that these two wheelers come with AC-DC electricals and a puny 3Ah battery, I am worried about using 60/55 which I eagerly want to use. After getting used to the heavy lighting setup of my cars, I feel that the Dio has a useless headlamp setup. Hence even I am looking forward to a swap but still not sure about it.
No reason to worry guys.

Dont know anout the Dio or Activa, but like I said before, the newer gen WEGOs are coming with an UPGRADED electrical system - larger 5AH battery and higher capacity 120w alternator.

It's been five monthe since I did the upgrade, and everything has been working flawlessly! I always use the self and have actually NEVER ever used the kick start till date. All throught winter too, I continued to use the self to start her in the mornings, and she always fired up on a single press with the choke pulled. As for the reflector, I had a second look today, and its just like new... no blackening or other abnormality noticed at all

Will click a picture of the reflector tomorrow and share here!

Last edited by vikash49 : 16th May 2013 at 20:09.
vikash49 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2013, 22:16   #2484
Distinguished - BHPian

The reflector will not blacken immediately. Over a period of time, it will fade out or yellow. Headlamps of cars are bigger, and have a floating reflector, which will give it gaps where some of the heat can go and dissipate to the surroundings. However, two wheeler reflectors are of a two part design, the reflector and lens. Also they are much smaller than car lamps. That is why I was not confident on upgrading wattage.

A 60 watt lamp at 12V will drain 5A of current compared to 3A current drawn by the 35W lamp. That is nearly twice the discharge rate. Twice the current flowing across the switch. Twice the current flowing in the wires. Not sure if internal components are designed to handle twice the rated current.

As I said before, you will not face immediate effects. All are longterm.
Old 19th May 2013, 23:23   #2485
BHPian

What tubeless tire can replace the tube type tire in TVS Wego? Is it beneficial? And whats the price of the same?
Old 26th May 2013, 11:25   #2486
BHPian

TVS-Wego or Honda-Dio?

Dear Friends,
Went to variety of showrooms over the weekend for a gearless scooter to be primarily operated by wifey. Finally reached the final candidates which is Wego and Dio. TVS innovation vs Honda Engine reliability. Need to keep this vehicle for around 5-6 years horizon or more, so long-term reliability a high criteria. Other things being equal,

DIO Pros & Cons
-------
+ Very reliable engine as seen from various reports/feedback.
+ 24/7 roadside support at little extra cost.
- A.S.S reports are not encouraging.

WEGO Pros & Cons
-------
+ Better weight distribution giving a near MotorCycle feel.
+ Fuel lid outside the seat.
- Oil leaks from the engine compartment as noted from various reports.
- Weak electricals.

It would be awesome if some owners from Bangalore put light on the aspects of the Cons of both vehicles . Is the oil leak issue a major concern for WEGO?. Is the A.S.S folks uninspiring in Honda?.

-Thanks in advance
Old 26th May 2013, 11:40   #2487
Distinguished - BHPian

Santhosh, I did ride a friends wego recently and as you rightly say, its TVS innovation v/s Honda engines in general. Handling and ride wise the wego scores above, but when it comes to engine refinement, accelaration, I would swear by my Dio. Keep aside after sales, as I found that there are a lot of mechanics who know in and out of these two wheelers and given that Honda genuine parts are available outside officially, there wont be an issue with service.

Speaking about service, I frankly have to say that I have no serious experience apart from two free services. However, I am not expecting positive results anytime in the future based on reviews. However, the two services have been uneventful and they just do their job. I purchased the vehicle from silicon honda, BSK 3rd stage. Their service center demands a strict first come first serve basis. However, they have a branch in Kadirenahalli which is again close by which is better. Given that I am a lazy person, I cant reach the service center by 9AM. While the ORR branch would be full by that time, I have been sent to the Kadirenhalli branch where they accept vehicles all day and usually return it the same day if you give the vehicle before 12PM. That was a good thing for me.

If after sales is your only concern, I would suggest you to buy the dio eyes closed. Also another point is that I heard from a friend of mine who is a short girl that riding the vehicle is a bit difficult due to the height. My aunt told the same too. Note that if you are of less height, you better ride the scoot once.
audioholic is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2013, 12:07   #2488
BHPian

Dear Friends,

I own a Kinetic Blaze here in Jaipur. In a months time i would be shifting to Mumbai to pursue my Bba degree from Nmims. I would like to know that would it be ok to bring the scooter along with me because i am concerned about the servicing part. Can anyone from Mumbai owning a Blaze shed light as to where do you get it serviced from and how is the parts availability there.

P.S. - Currently, my Blaze gets serviced at an Ex-Kinetic service center(now a Mahindra service center) and he usually has all the normal parts in stock and arranges any other parts in a time span of 15-20 days.
Old 1st June 2013, 14:26   #2489
Senior - BHPian

Got my vespa on 30th May, 2013. Intial impressions:

Positives:
  • Awesome ride quality, easily comparable to a good bike.
  • Good Headlamp with parking light
  • Decent storage space
Negatives
  • Extremely poor braking. Already had a few nervous moments.
  • Absence of a authorized A** near my house (Cannot really call it a negative but it certainly needs to have more service centres).
Old 2nd June 2013, 17:56   #2490
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wego travails

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
I'm in 2 minds now whether to sell the vehicle or get the extended warranty.
The latest and maybe my last post on this thread: I've sold the Wego as I could not buy the extended warranty this late in my ownership.

A related update is that I've taken a leap of faith as far as another TVS product is concerned, and bought a retro Apache RTR 160.

The Gearless Scooter Thread-photo0059.jpg

Keeping my fingers crossed that I'll have a comparatively niggle/issue free ownership this time around. Touchwood!

Cheers,
Vikram
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks