Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 11th March 2013, 10:37   #2431
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Renewed the Insurance for my Honda Activa 20 days before the actual expiry date. The total premium was Rs766/- from Oriental Insurance Co. Checked online for comparison quotes, found Oriental to be the least. Surprisingly the TP liability premium was more than the OD premium(after the NCB) with an IDV drop of 5% from last year. Details as below:

IDV: 36026
OD premium: 275
TP premium: 407
Service tax: 84
Total: 766
Old 11th March 2013, 11:09   #2432
Senior - BHPian

Anyone using Hero Pleasure scooter here ? Feedback please.

Does Pleasure have the old Activa engine ?

Does it make sense to buy Pleasure (over Activa/Wego) for long term ownership (10 years) ?

Rohan
Old 11th March 2013, 11:52   #2433
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Anyone using Hero Pleasure scooter here ? Feedback please.

Does Pleasure have the old Activa engine ?

Does it make sense to buy Pleasure (over Activa/Wego) for long term ownership (10 years) ?

Rohan
No, it does not make sense. It is too old technologically in comparison to the others. Even the Mahindra duro is more advanced and better equipped. If you want a compact scooter look at Yamaha Ray, its far more contemporary.
Old 11th March 2013, 17:07   #2434
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
No, it does not make sense. It is too old technologically in comparison to the others. Even the Mahindra duro is more advanced and better equipped. If you want a compact scooter look at Yamaha Ray, its far more contemporary.
I find the Yamaha Ray a bit unpractical for a Scooter. Its under seat storage can't accommodate a full face helmet and front storage is also practically useless.

But other than the lack of storage, I liked the scooter.

Do I have any other option for a small size but powerful scooter ?

Rohan
Old 11th March 2013, 19:41   #2435
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post

I find the Yamaha Ray a bit unpractical for a Scooter. Its under seat storage can't accommodate a full face helmet and front storage is also practically useless.

But other than the lack of storage, I liked the scooter.

Do I have any other option for a small size but powerful scooter ?

Rohan
Vespa is the only choice for you. If you are keeping it for 10 yrs then it makes a lot of sense, even otherwise its the best if you can spend. Mahindra Rodeo is also smallish and powerful too. Take a look at Wego, its not all that compact and not at all powerful but has good ride quality.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:05   #2436
Senior - BHPian

Yesterday while running an errand on my Activa, the manual kick lever got stuck. No amount of effort could move the lever which didnt allow me to start the scooter with manual kick. Unfortunately the battery also died the same moment. The battery was having issues when used for starting hence had resorted to manual kick everytime to start the scooter.

What could be the issue? Should I show to a FNG or Honda workshop. FNG is a minute walk whereas Honda workshop is 3-4 kms form my place. The servicing of the Activa is also due in the last week of March.
Old 12th March 2013, 09:39   #2437
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
What could be the issue? Should I show to a FNG or Honda workshop. FNG is a minute walk whereas Honda workshop is 3-4 kms form my place. The servicing of the Activa is also due in the last week of March.
I would suggest you first visit your FNG, get the kick lever released. Then start the scooter. Kill the engine & restart the scooter with the kick in front of the mechanic. Repeat this 3-4 times, so as to make sure that if you stop mid-way on the road, you should be able to kick-start it without the kick lever getting stuck. Then you can proceed to the Honda workshop to get a permanent fix & battery replacement/recharging.
AutoIndian is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th March 2013, 10:06   #2438
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoIndian View Post
I would suggest you first visit your FNG, get the kick lever released. Then start the scooter. Kill the engine & restart the scooter with the kick in front of the mechanic. Repeat this 3-4 times, so as to make sure that if you stop mid-way on the road, you should be able to kick-start it without the kick lever getting stuck. Then you can proceed to the Honda workshop to get a permanent fix & battery replacement/recharging.
Thanks for the info but any reason why the lever must have got stuck? Is it the case of starter pinion engagement being improper? If so what could have caused that when the manual kick worked few minutes before the issue happened?
Old 12th March 2013, 10:25   #2439
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the info but any reason why the lever must have got stuck? Is it the case of starter pinion engagement being improper? If so what could have caused that when the manual kick worked few minutes before the issue happened?
It is very difficult to predict, what would be exact cause, sorry about that. May be other Activa owners in the forum would be in a better position to shed some more light on it. When the lever is stuck, are you able to pull it out along the axis of kick rotation. You can just try moving the kick, back & forth along the axis of rotation & check if that frees it. If this doesn't help either then better to get sorted out by your FNG
Old 12th March 2013, 10:50   #2440
BHPian

Quote:
Yesterday while running an errand on my Activa, the manual kick lever got stuck. No amount of effort could move the lever which didnt allow me to start the scooter with manual kick. Unfortunately the battery also died the same moment. The battery was having issues when used for starting hence had resorted to manual kick everytime to start the scooter.

I would suggest not take any chances. If Honda has a home pick up call them and tell them the problem. They will come equipped and take it for service too.
Old 13th March 2013, 09:30   #2441
Senior - BHPian

@zulfi hansi - I had asked Honda about the pickup and they said they would charge for the same, hence dropped the idea.

Took the Activa to the FNG who opened the manual kick assembly and found that the kick ratchet had a worn out gear cog. This was due to the ratchet slipping above the welded part of the manual kick level assembly. Replaced the same with a spare (not Honda original - but the vendor said the same co supplied the spare to Honda), costed me Rs 130/-. Fixed the kick ratchet and the scooter sprung to life in the first kick itself. Tried a couple of times and found no abonormality. The servicing costed Rs 150/-, so total spent was Rs 280/-. Enquired with Honda about the spare cost and was told Rs 320/- + labour charges of Rs 25/-. Pics attached, highlighted areas shows the spare and the location of the kick ratchet.
Attached Thumbnails
The Gearless Scooter Thread-photo0419.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-photo0420.jpg  

The Gearless Scooter Thread-photo0425.jpg  

ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th March 2013, 09:37   #2442
BHPian

@ghodlur. Good you got it done. I was apprehensive about the parts availability outside hence suggested the option.

BTW today saw an ad in TOI, 0% loan on all TVS shooters!
Old 15th March 2013, 16:53   #2443
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The servicing costed Rs 150/-, so total spent was Rs 280/-. Enquired with Honda about the spare cost and was told Rs 320/- + labour charges of Rs 25/-. Pics attached, highlighted areas shows the spare and the location of the kick ratchet.
Ghodlur, does it mean the same part replacement would have done by Honda for Rs. 25 but the FNG charges 150 for the same work?

BTW, guys I am looking for a second hand gearless scooter. Looking for something around 25k. Which are my best bets? How old would the vehicle be if I decide to stick to this price point? My only expectation is it should be gentle on my back. Had owned one Pleasure in the past. Atrocious ride.
Old 15th March 2013, 21:47   #2444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post

Ghodlur, does it mean the same part replacement would have done by Honda for Rs. 25 but the FNG charges 150 for the same work?

BTW, guys I am looking for a second hand gearless scooter. Looking for something around 25k. Which are my best bets? How old would the vehicle be if I decide to stick to this price point? My only expectation is it should be gentle on my back. Had owned one Pleasure in the past. Atrocious ride.
get Wego. Even Access is good.
zulfi hansi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2013, 22:30   #2445
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
get Wego. Even Access is good.
Wego for 25K? Its too new to go down by that much already I think. Unless the owner is in a REAL hurry to sell it off.

For that price point, I think only the old Activa's will be available.

Prajwal
prajwalkashyap is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks