Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2013, 22:43   #2446
BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

I ignored the budget since his concern of easy on the back is not achievable in 25K. He needs to decide an increase the budget, or I'd rather advise to go for a new Wego.
Old 16th March 2013, 19:36   #2447
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
Anyone using Hero Pleasure scooter here ? Feedback please.

Does Pleasure have the old Activa engine ?

Does it make sense to buy Pleasure (over Activa/Wego) for long term ownership (10 years) ?

Rohan
I have a Hero Honda Pleasure since 2009. Pretty reliable scoot I would say. Yes, it has the old Activa engine. Bought it over the Activa back then, because of ready availability and Honda high-handedness.

The ride quality is not good at all, and reminds me of our old Kinetic Honda. (Which this replaced).
Its pretty lightweight, easy to use as well. My mom, dad and wife have no problems with its dimensions at all.
The riding position is a bit awkward for me, gives me neck pain after a while.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_iitr View Post
I find the Yamaha Ray a bit unpractical for a Scooter. Its under seat storage can't accommodate a full face helmet and front storage is also practically useless.
If you are planning to get a pleasure for its ability to store a full face helmet, then I have to say the pleasure cant hold one either.
sajo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th March 2013, 09:01   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipnil View Post
Ghodlur, does it mean the same part replacement would have done by Honda for Rs. 25 but the FNG charges 150 for the same work?

BTW, guys I am looking for a second hand gearless scooter. Looking for something around 25k. Which are my best bets? How old would the vehicle be if I decide to stick to this price point? My only expectation is it should be gentle on my back. Had owned one Pleasure in the past. Atrocious ride.
The extra which the FNG charged was for dedicated service and the whole replacment thing took about half an hour. Try that in Honda workshop and you will be charged heavily. The charges which I mentioned are for those who have an AMC, for non AMC guys the labour charges are more.

If you are looking for a second hand gearless scooter, One option is to look at Tata Assured shops where people sell their gearless scooter for Nano, I found atleast 15+ scooters (Activas/Aviators/Access) at Tata Assured shop in Thane on Ghodbunder Road.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st April 2013, 10:11   #2449
Senior - BHPian

Got my Activa serviced last week as a part of regular servicing. There was a noise coming from the engine side which was very much evident when the speed is reduced below 20 kmph. The SA had a look and implied that the noise can be from the crank shaft for which he said the charges to inspect would be Rs 250/-. I assumed that the last visit to FNG for the crank ratchet replacement might have gone wrong. Hence agreed to the inspection which later the SA confirmed that nothing was wrong cleaning the assembly was sufficient. No more noise heard.

Also got the starter relay for electtic start replaceed as it had gone bad, costed me Rs 170/- for the same.

Honda has hiked the regular servicing charges from Rs 285 to Rs 355 which is to go up to Rs 415 in another month or so, reason not known to the SA. Also the AMC charges hiked from Rs 745 to 1100/-.
Old 14th April 2013, 20:28   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Wego travails

As of today, it has been over 20 months and almost 16000 kms with my TVS Wego. The initial months were quite trouble free, after which I slowly started realising what a pathetic quality product I've bought. For people who say Bajaj products are of low quality, please buy a Wego; it'll redefine "low quality" for you.

This post is a summary of the major issues faced till now:

1. Transmission oil leakage [6 times]. The service centre repairs it by replacing the oil seal or O rings, which fixes the problem for 1 or 2 months, after which it occurs again.
2. Broken kick gear assembly [2 times] - This makes the kick start useless - it just goes down and up, without any resistance at all. Latest occurence has happened today, 14/04/2013.
3. Original battery replaced.
4. Speedometer cable and headlight switch replaced.

The ONLY silver lining is that point 1, 2 & 3 above have been done under warranty.

I have talked to the TVS customer care manager in Pune a couple of times and it has made no difference. He has zero technical knowledge and only repeats what he has been taught in some corporate training about how to soothe irate customers. There is no email id on the TVS website, only a contact us form which I have used numerous times to no avail. I only get a call from the service centre, never from an actual TVS employee.

In case there are any TVS fan boys here, the following is for their benefit, so that they don't reply with a "you must be abusing the vehicle" post:

I use kick start for the 1st start of the day and even when the vehicle has not been used for more than 15 minutes or so. Self start is used only at traffic signals. I ensure that headlights are off before starting the vehicle. I idle the vehicle for 30-45 seconds on cold starts. I have not exceeded 60 kmph even once since I bought the vehicle. All services are done on time and running in has been done for 2000 kms. Fuel is filled only at pumps reputed to dispense good quality fuel. I avoid hard braking and sudden acceleration diligently and go very slowly on speed breakers and other assorted rough patches. In short, vehicle is maintained immaculately and not abused at all. Inspite of that, I've faced so many issues, and continue to do so.

FWIW, based on my experience, I have only word of advice for potential Wego customers: DON'T!!

Cheers,
Vikram

Last edited by comfortablynumb : 14th April 2013 at 20:45.
comfortablynumb is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 08:48   #2451
Senior - BHPian

Re: Wego travails

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
As of today, it has been over 20 months and almost 16000 kms with my TVS Wego.
The ONLY silver lining is that point 1, 2 & 3 above have been done under warranty.
Vikram,

Thats a heavy running you got done for the Wego in such a short time. My Activa hasnt even crossed 8K kms in the third year or ownership.
How much warranty did the Wego come with? Did you opt for the extended warranty. Looking at the host of issues, you came close of getting a lemon coz there have been other users of Wego on the forum who are extremely satisfied with the scooter. Hope your issues get sorted out fast.
Old 15th April 2013, 09:31   #2452
Distinguished - BHPian

Thats heavy running indeed. My projected annual mileage will just be 3500kms. Anyways I need the opinion of my fellow members regarding the following issues. Though a visit to the service center is the right thing to do, the attitude of the service folks need not be mentioned again. Coming to the issues or observations made in my dio:

1. The engine is silent and refined during short runs and moderate driving conditions. However, once I cover a considerable amount of distance and the engine warms up, like say five kms at a go, the engine develops a roar at low speeds when we accelarate. The roar is similar to the sound made by the activas and dios with aftermarket filters. When accelarating from stop , this roar is prominent until the scoot settles to a constant speed.

Is this present in all dios and activas? The roar disappears once the scoot is rested for sometime.

2. There seems to be a fine grinding noise from the transmission at all speeds including idle. The noise is not prominent but can be heard if listened carefully. Again is this normal?

3. Looks like the useless service center folks made my tuning screw up when I complained about misfire. Mileage dropped to 35kmpl. Found that the mixture was running extra rich. Adjusted it. Should check mileage now. From the beginning my scoot gets its tank full at shell.

Looking forward to opinions of members
Thanks in advance.
Old 15th April 2013, 10:30   #2453
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Vikram, Thats a heavy running you got done for the Wego in such a short time. My Activa hasnt even crossed 8K kms in the third year or ownership.How much warranty did the Wego come with? Did you opt for the extended warranty. Looking at the host of issues, you came close of getting a lemon coz there have been other users of Wego on the forum who are extremely satisfied with the scooter. Hope your issues get sorted out fast.
My daily running is of 45 kms, hence the miles are getting clocked very fast. Warranty duration is 24 months/24000 kms. I'm in 2 minds now whether to sell the vehicle or get the extended warranty.

Cheers,
Vikram
Old 15th April 2013, 12:25   #2454
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by comfortablynumb View Post
Warranty duration is 24 months/24000 kms. I'm in 2 minds now whether to sell the vehicle or get the extended warranty.
From one Wego owner to another - Sell it if you are getting a decent price.

Reason being, Wego's prior to 2nd half 2012 had good lot of manufacturing issues which show up in some vehicles and dont show up in others. My colleague who had the initial lot of Wego had to replace his speedo cable around 7 times in 1 year of ownership, headlight switch around 4 times and his vehicle used to stall a lot even after full warm up and running for nearly 30kms. He sold it in exchange for a Splendor for 30k after 1 yr and around 8k kms of ownership. He had paid 46k at the time of purchase IIRC.

And since these are due to mfg. or design faults, the service center can only do so much about them. You might wonder why i still went with the Wego - Well, this was the only scoot in the price range with the maximum comfort features of telescopic shocks, 12 inch wheels, fuel filler not below the seat and that absolutely beautiful body balance which makes it very easy for my wife to handle the scoot. And our running is max around 5kms a week with the occasional 20kms run. So suited our needs just fine. Bought it last Sept. and has run 3300kms till date with no troubles.

PS: I have not been as gentle as you with the vehicle as well!
abhinav.s is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 16:32   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Bought it last Sept. and has run 3300kms till date with no troubles.

PS: I have not been as gentle as you with the vehicle as well!
Same pinch Abhinav . Even our Wego was bought last Sept. However the running till date (hold your breath) has been a measely 750 kms, averaging just about 100kms a month. It is used only for household errands & not a commuter bike. We have faced no problem whatsoever with our Wego (touchwood), finished 3 services now.
Old 15th April 2013, 19:44   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
1. The engine is silent and refined during short runs and moderate driving conditions. However, once I cover a considerable amount of distance and the engine warms up, like say five kms at a go, the engine develops a roar at low speeds when we accelarate. The roar is similar to the sound made by the activas and dios with aftermarket filters. When accelarating from stop , this roar is prominent until the scoot settles to a constant speed.

Is this present in all dios and activas? The roar disappears once the scoot is rested for sometime.

2. There seems to be a fine grinding noise from the transmission at all speeds including idle. The noise is not prominent but can be heard if listened carefully. Again is this normal?
Possible solution for the first query:
Check for loose screws in the air filter housing compartment,else check for a cracked pipe which runs from the air filter to the carb.

Possible answer to Q2:
I'm pretty sure it's the tappet noise,it occurs once in a blue moon and the timeline can be predicted based on your riding.

Nothing that a visit to the service center,can't solve.

Esmall update:My Dio has crossed 19500 Km on the Odo.
It is still my daily ride to college.(90-100 Km/Week)
I changed the rear tyre to 'Ceat Gripp' for 1050 INR,after 18000 Km.
The front tyre is still in great condition.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 20:33   #2457
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patriot_Vishwas View Post
Possible solution for the first query:
Check for loose screws in the air filter housing compartment,else check for a cracked pipe which runs from the air filter to the carb.

Possible answer to Q2:
I'm pretty sure it's the tappet noise,it occurs once in a blue moon and the timeline can be predicted based on your riding.
Thanks for the pointer! The intake growl is present only after prolonged drives. Guess I will ride the vehicle for sometime and then dismantle the air filter housing, so that the source of the noise can be detected. About the second issue, the noise seems to originate from the transmission area rather than the engine block. Think only the service center can help with respect to that.

As you say, in case the pipe is cracked, shouldnt the growl be present at all times? It disappears once the engine cools down and increases as it warms up.

Another query in general WRT two wheelers - How does one know if the engine is overheating? As the two wheelers lack a temperature gauge, is there any other way to determine the same?
Old 15th April 2013, 21:13   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the pointer! The intake growl is present only after prolonged drives. Guess I will ride the vehicle for sometime and then dismantle the air filter housing, so that the source of the noise can be detected. About the second issue, the noise seems to originate from the transmission area rather than the engine block. Think only the service center can help with respect to that.

As you say, in case the pipe is cracked, shouldnt the growl be present at all times? It disappears once the engine cools down and increases as it warms up.

Another query in general WRT two wheelers - How does one know if the engine is overheating? As the two wheelers lack a temperature gauge, is there any other way to determine the same?
Re: the cracked pipe:
Nope,the sound at one point vanishes,this is normally in the green zone(On speedo) and comes back as soon as you open the throttle.

Re:Overheating:
On the Dio,you know that the engine's overheating when the throttle becomes spongy and you face power loss.(I'd guess it's the same for all)
On my bike there's a warning lamp that comes on to indicate overheating.
Patriot_Vishwas is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th April 2013, 23:09   #2459
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks again for the information. Yes with liquid cooled bikes you do get a warning just like cars. But it will be difficult to tell in air cooled engines. That's why I asked. Guess I will have to visit the service centre soon. The only thing that keeps me away is their attitude. Btw, I suppose you live in Bangalore south. Whom do you prefer for services?
Old 15th April 2013, 23:24   #2460
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks again for the information. Yes with liquid cooled bikes you do get a warning just like cars. But it will be difficult to tell in air cooled engines. That's why I asked. Guess I will have to visit the service centre soon. The only thing that keeps me away is their attitude. Btw, I suppose you live in Bangalore south. Whom do you prefer for services?
I give my vehicle at Silicon Honda service center,next to carmel convent school,East End Main road.
Very low profile service center so there aren't too many vehicles.
They certainly aren't good but just less crowded.
If it's serious task,then the mechanic at Puttenahalli(Just after the lake,you'll see loads of Yamaha RX's in front of a shop).
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks