Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 13:21   #3241
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
Took delivery of my TVS Wego
Congratulations.

Did you get the underbody anti rust coating done or does it come factory done along with the scooter? Whats the warranty you got with the Wego.

Happy riding and drive safely.
ghodlur is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 13:27   #3242
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Need some guidance regarding shortlisting of scooty.
Budget not an issue.

Rider height: 4'10'', thin structure.

1. Which scooty will be most comfortable to ride and handle around in traffic? (keeping the height constraint in mind.)
2. Should be of petrol engine.
3. Good mileage.
4. Decent storage.
5. Pillion riding will also be there with a total passenger wt of about 100kgs.

I know pep+ will fit the bill but looking at alternative options.
Honestly the scooty pep body does not inspire much confidence atleast from external veiwing and the features are absolutely bare basic.

Also I was interested in scooty streak, but the only ownership reveiw I found here dealt with serious engine problem at very early stage.

Please suggest some models which I will go and check out then.

Thanks
Old 19th February 2015, 13:44   #3243
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adhiraj View Post
2 Scooters you can check out are Scooty Zest and the Yamaha Ray. Ray has a low seat height and body weight is also not much. Scooty Zest is the Scooty with Wego engine and some design changes.
Old 19th February 2015, 13:45   #3244
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
Congratulations.

Did you get the underbody anti rust coating done or does it come factory done along with the scooter? Whats the warranty you got with the Wego.

Happy riding and drive safely.
Thanks.

I didnt check with them regarding the anit rust coating (they even not mentioned anything like which means they are not doing this for any vehicle?)

5 year warranty (3 year + 2 year extended warranty by paying Rs. 675).
Old 19th February 2015, 14:02   #3245
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
In addition to what Abhinavs has suggested I would suggest to add Hero Pleasure to the list.

I dont know if adding any Suzuki or Mahindra scooters to the list would matter, but worth having a look at them too. After sales might be an issue with these scooters

Quote:
I didnt check with them regarding the anit rust coating (they even not mentioned anything like which means they are not doing this for any vehicle?)
This could be the case since Wego has a fibre body. I had got it done for my Activa, opted for a 5 year warranty underbody anti rust coating. Peace of mind.
Old 19th February 2015, 14:18   #3246
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post

This could be the case since Wego has a fibre body. I had got it done for my Activa, opted for a 5 year warranty underbody anti rust coating. Peace of mind.
But Wego has full metal body, thats the reason its mileage is little less than Jupiter (both runs on same machine) which has front fibre hence less wight comparing Wego.!
Old 21st February 2015, 21:56   #3247
BHPian

Re: Suspension conversion DIY -The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post
Well, this is my colleague's Hero Maestro. His wife rides it daily and complained of shoulder pains after a long ride. Upon test riding my TVS Jupiter he and his wife observed a noticeable difference in rider fatigue, and hence he thought of plonking a telescopic unit for his Maestro. ...
Total cost Rs7000/-.
Took a test ride and was fully convinced that every Rupee spent was really worth it.
Nice to hear that someone was bold enough to do the conversion. Was it a jugaad by a local mechanic or did your colleague actually Do It Himself? Does have any special qualifications to do such conversions? Hope you can start another thread on this as suggested.

Another question I have is - has anyone changed the old front and rear braking system to the "Combi Brake"? I have a disc Aviator and would like to convert it to the Combi system.

By the way, I googled "telescopic vs swing-arm" and came up with this
(maybe an engineer from the 2-wheeler industry can explain why we think the telescopic suspension is better)
Fork vs swing-arm Face-Off - Tier Motor
Quote:
Tier Motorsports, LLC

Benefits of the front swing arm

Here is a list of advantages that front swing arm suspensions have over classical forks:

a. 50% anti-dive vs. 90% pro-dive with forks. The classic front fork suspension makes the front of the motorcycle dive under braking which in extreme cases can cause the motorcycle to flip forward. Having a front swing arm allows to design the front suspension with any type of positive dive (like with forks) or negative dive as well as progressive dive. With negative dive the bike will actually raise during braking. Of course most riders like to have some dive to have a feel for how hard they are braking so the ideal bike will have just enough dive to be felt by the rider.
b. Greater comfort. Because the front suspension undergoes less dive during braking it does not tend to compress the suspension as much. This allows for softer springs to be installed.
c. Lighter frame and a lower center of gravity improving handling. There is no longer a need for a sturdy frame around the upper steering column to counter force from the telescopic fork. On some models the engine can be used as the structural main frame of the motorcycle (true with redesigned frames; doesn’t apply to kits mounting to existing frames).
d. Suspension rate and dampening can easily be adjusted on the fly as on rear suspensions.
e. Constant stability. Minimal change in wheel base throughout suspension travel.
f. More precise handling. Minimal change in trail throughout suspension travel.
g. Increase in braking performance. During braking the reduced dive result in less weight transferred to the front which allows for the rear wheel to absorb more braking power.
h. More pronounced separation between suspension and steering/control. Allowing adjustment of both to achieve optimum performance. The percentage of anti -dive can be varied with minimal effect to the steering (On telescopic forks, the dive under braking causes the wheelbase to get shorter, the rake to steepen and the trail to reduce.)
Old 22nd February 2015, 01:26   #3248
BHPian

Quote:

Thanks
Hero Pleasure is worth checking out. The newer refresh models (launched last year) are In my opinion even more suitable for shorter riders.
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:48   #3249
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
I have no idea of cost cutting or the reason behind those 10 inch tyres. But from an engineers point of view...

Hence, from an engineering point of view, a bigger dia tyre will mean more space, which will mean stretching the transmission case, OR using another chain to drive the tyre. This just increases complexity, cost, and will need more maintenance like periodic tightening. So all this is done keeping simplicity in mind.
Agree with everything you've said (I'm just stating it even more explicitly), and I just wish to add that Honda would have to engineer everything differently for this scooter if the rear wheel was 12", leading to cost and complexity and non availability of spares for the customer as the standard Activa parts would no longer fit - this is the case for even simple items such as the air filter for the Aviator which is of a different shape. For some reason (I guess the reason is well known - extract the max profit) you can never get spares or even accessories for anything in India if you are not part of the 'herd'.

Quote:
I am now planning to sell my 5 year old TVS Jive and buy a Wego. Visited my area TVS showroom and discussed with them and they are willing to pay Rs.15000 for the Jive (saying that motor bikes market is very low and even the market for New Bikes are bad comparing the Scooter market)

What do you all feel - is 15k is the right price for the Jive (may be they will be keeping some margin when they re-sell the bike after doing some service etc)??
Dear nairrk,
Hope you will post some closing comments in your Jive thread.
Please include the KMs done and your overall impression of the bike and especially the clutchless shifting over the years. Would you recommend the bike, if such a bike was introduced again? Thanks in advance.

Note from Support - Posts merged. Please use the "Multi-Quote" feature to reply to multiple posts. This avoid back to back posts. See this for more information.

Last edited by n_aditya : 26th February 2015 at 10:56. Reason: Posts merged
Old 22nd February 2015, 11:38   #3250
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Dear nairrk,
Hope you will post some closing comments in your Jive thread.
Please include the KMs done and your overall impression of the bike and especially the clutchless shifting over the years. Would you recommend the bike, if such a bike was introduced again? Thanks in advance.
Thanks
I use two wheelers only for shopping/short distance rides. As such the mileage done was very low i.e 6500 kms. It was a good bike and clutchless gear is an advantage and easy to handle (according to me).

The Bike did not give any problem so far and TVS workshop here has been very cooperative. In the last 5 years I had to only change the Battery and accelerator cable. So, overall a very convenient Bike.

Yes, indeed, I would recommend if they introduce again but feel they may not as overall the bike sales have come down in the last few months as more and more people are shifting to Scooters (as I have noticed in our area).
nairrk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:35   #3251
BHPian

Any idea how much a scooty streak of mid 2012 model of 8500 kms can cost me in Bangalore? Condition is decent.
Old 23rd February 2015, 09:49   #3252
BHPian

Aviator (Telescopic Suspension) for Activa / Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvadg View Post
Nice to hear that someone was bold enough to do the conversion. Was it a jugaad by a local mechanic or did your colleague actually Do It Himself? Does have any special qualifications to do such conversions? Hope you can start another thread on this as suggested.

By the way, I googled "telescopic vs swing-arm" and came up with this
(maybe an engineer from the 2-wheeler industry can explain why we think the telescopic suspension is better)
Fork vs swing-arm Face-Off - Tier Motor
My colleague & I live in the same housing society and we took this up as a hobby project. No local mechanic Jugaad. There isn't much of a rocket science involved in this mod and that's why feeling comfortable discussing the same here. Procurement of components took some time as the T-stem & fork pipes of aviator are not fast moving.

The T-stem is exactly 20 mm longer than what is required for Maestro (This distance might be different for Activa). There is a hole exactly at 45 degrees from straight ahead position on the T-stem. This through hole is for the handle bar bolt. This hole has to be lowered by 20 mm, which was done in a Vertical Milling Machine. The threads for the upper cone nut has also been extended downwards by the same 20 mm. Now the excess length on the upper side of fork stem has to be chopped off. And the rest is straight forward.

Alternately, the centre stem of Activa can be pulled out and swapped in place of stem piece of Aviator T-piece. Any 2 wheeler lathe guy can do this. But ensure you do only a CO2 or MIG welding between the pipe & T-piece. NO ARC WELDING.

http://www.tiermotor.com/motorcycle%...20rebuild.html
The swing arm forks for Tiermotor are way different from the Activa swing arm. Please check the above link.
Though we have not been into the technicalities like knowing & understanding the spring rate & damping from the Aviator setup, the subjective feedback from our tesdrives & my colleague's wife (the daily user of that Maestro) has been positive & a recommendable mod job.
ilangop is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd February 2015, 12:01   #3253
BHPian

Re: Aviator (Telescopic Suspension) for Activa / Maestro

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilangop View Post

<snip>
http://www.tiermotor.com/motorcycle%...20rebuild.html
The swing arm forks for Tiermotor are way different from the Activa swing arm...

...the subjective feedback from our tesdrives & my colleague's wife (the daily user of that Maestro) has been positive & a recommendable mod job.
Thank you for the details - I am sure I wont be doing it (I have the Aviator anyway). I once messed up changing the oil and filter on my car, luckily I stopped at petrol bunk (very) close by and noticed oil leaking from the new filter as for some reason it was not seated properly. Tightened the filter, topped up oil bought from the bunk and thanked providence that I had not run the engine without oil and became a wiser man.

OK. I did not notice the Tiermotor swing arm forks earlier, thanks for pointing that out too. Maybe you can check out the Hossack mod for your next project. Keep us informed - armchair mechanics love to read about such things!
Old 25th February 2015, 12:18   #3254
BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how much a scooty streak of mid 2012 model of 8500 kms can cost me in Bangalore? Condition is decent.
Slight Correction MFG Year is 2013.

Guys need some info regarding the price? Will take a call whether to buy based on that.

Thanks
Old 4th March 2015, 11:20   #3255

Request you to kindly guide me if possible on buying a new gearless scooter so that me/sister both can use it. Sister has a pleasure, but too many issues with startup + it wont turn easily in small diameter range (don't know the technical word for this).

I took a test drive of Suzuki Lets the 110cc model recently. W/o accessories it comes for 54K around. But out of the 2 test drives in different showrooms, one was a disaster! I have posted the pros and cons (upon the first date with the bike) on the thread: http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ml#post3655289 (Suzuki Let's Scooter: 110cc segment contender)

If you can recommend this v/s Suzuki Access (used or new) v/s something else.

I am not keen on Mahindra brand at all. TVS I heard ain't that good (also on resale value). Either honda or suzuki. Really look forward to your kind advise.

Sister is eating my head all day, so I am all fingers crossed for a reply before I surrender to family's decisions.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks