Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 13th March 2015, 10:17   #3271
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Please advise a scooter for a lady rider to take to Ladakh - should be robust and reliable and lightweight (she's a petite middle aged woman - not very strong). I'm curious about their straight exhaust as opposed to upswept exhausts on the Pulsar.
I would suggest a TVS Jupiter or a Wego.
Both have the same engine, Wego was recently updated with a digital dash (not to my taste) and dual tone colors. They sport a telescopic front suspension and the engine is pretty smooth. The center stand mechanism is also very easy, only tiny bit of pressure is required. You can also consider the Suzuki Swish, looks decent except for the exhaust. I never considered the Honda scoots for their archaic front suspension and the new 125 is simply too expensive.
I was on the lookout for a scooter for my better half and we had a look at almost all scooters in the market. In the end the Jupiter won. Getting it home today.

Regards
Old 15th March 2015, 10:09   #3272
Senior - BHPian

Sold my 9 year old 67K run Bajaj Discover and booked a TVS Jupiter yesterday. Went for a gearless scooter due to the convenience factor - carrying grocery bags, etc. My running is only around 11 km total a day.
After going through all the machines on sale, shortlisted Jupiter and Suzuki swish. Chose Jupiter due to it's superior ride quality and better balance.
Booked at Arunagiri TVS, Kalyan nagar. Delivery scheduled tomorrow.
The total cost breakup is as follows:

Ex showroom price: 52,004
Road tax+ insurance : 9856
Total = 61,860
Accessories: Ladies side foot rest, back armour, number plate, handle grip
total: 1995
RC Smart card: 400

Discounts: Rs 650
Total on-road =Rs. 63,605

Chose silver color as I felt it is the easiest to maintain and is kind of neutral.
Wife wanted grey but I felt it has now become too common.
Old 15th March 2015, 12:56   #3273
BHPian

Quote:
Please advise a scooter for a lady rider to take to Ladakh - should be robust and reliable and lightweight (she's a petite middle aged woman - not very strong). I'm curious about their straight exhaust as opposed to upswept exhausts on the Pulsar. If there are any such triplogs - please point me there so I can forward them to her.

Thanks in advance!

/My friend has a dream and I want her to live it - in the end, she may still balk looking at the terrain/costs etc but I want to give her the information she needs to make her decision, even if it turns out to be a flight of fancy in the end!
//mileage is immaterial since she plans to ride there as part of an organized group ride.
I would suggest TVS Wego/Jupiter. The only thing being Jupiter is a bit bulkier than Wego. Both of them have the same 8 BHP, 110 CC CVT-i engine. I own the Wego since last 4 years and I have absolutely no problem whatsoever. It is light in weight and requires a bit push on main stand to park. Also, it has 12 inch alloys biggest amongst its category.
fiesta1.6 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 13:16   #3274
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsun7 View Post
Sold my 9 year old 67K run Bajaj Discover and booked a TVS Jupiter yesterday. Went for a gearless scooter due to the convenience factor - carrying grocery bags, etc. My running is only around 11 km total a day.
After going through all the machines on sale, shortlisted Jupiter and Suzuki swish. Chose Jupiter due to it's superior ride quality and better balance.

Total = 61,860

Chose silver color as I felt it is the easiest to maintain and is kind of neutral.
++

They charged you Rs.9856 for Road tax + Insurance???

I have paid Rs.6276 for my Wego which showroom price was Rs53,366/-
(Actually they paid to RTO Rs.3202 and Ins Rs.1323)

Seems your guys are charging more on this Regn+tax matter unless registration charges at your place is much higher than ours (which was 6%)

Suggest check with them??
Old 15th March 2015, 14:22   #3275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nairrk View Post
++

Seems your guys are charging more on this Regn+tax matter unless registration charges at your place is much higher than ours (which was 6%)
Road tax in Karnataka is among the highest in the country. this price also includes 'handling charges' aka bribes to RTOs
For cars, there is a very significant difference. I paid close to 97K as road tax for my punto in 2012 when in my home state Kerala it should have been around 50K.
Old 15th March 2015, 14:27   #3276
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Road tax in Karnataka is among the highest in the country. this price also includes 'handling charges' aka bribes to RTOs
For cars, there is a very significant difference. I paid close to 97K as road tax for my punto in 2012 when in my home state Kerala it should have been around 50K.
Ok Noted.

Hope, soon Kerala will also match to karnataka rates as in the recent budget, they have increased the Vehicle registration fees i.e 8% for bikes with price upto Rs.1 lakh and then 10% above one lakh etc etc....!!
Old 15th March 2015, 14:52   #3277
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Please advise a scooter for a lady rider to take to Ladakh - should be robust and reliable and lightweight (she's a petite middle aged woman - not very strong). I'm curious about their straight exhaust as opposed to upswept exhausts on the Pulsar. If there are any such triplogs - please point me there so I can forward them to her.

Thanks in advance!

/My friend has a dream and I want her to live it - in the end, she may still balk looking at the terrain/costs etc but I want to give her the information she needs to make her decision, even if it turns out to be a flight of fancy in the end!
//mileage is immaterial since she plans to ride there as part of an organized group ride.
Wego disk brake version.

Hands down one of the best scooters out there. Ride quality is superior and will help to tackle the ladakh terrain. Not to mention the body balance technology which really works.

Realistic mileage is 40 to 42 kmpl. 5 litres tank. Just ensure that she buys the disk brake version. Makes a whole lot of difference in braking
sagarpadaki is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2015, 16:08   #3278
Senior - BHPian

Congrats. How much is a 9 year old Discover fetching these days? I have a similar model in mint condition, run for just 30k.

Quote:

Total = 61,860

Old 15th March 2015, 19:49   #3279
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebring View Post
Congrats. How much is a 9 year old Discover fetching these days? I have a similar model in mint condition, run for just 30k.
Thank you.
I sold mine for 19K. A local mechanic approached me and quoted 18K. Finally settled for 19K. it was 2006 model 125cc with kick start and had done 67K. All showrooms were quoting 13-15K for exchange.
Old 15th March 2015, 20:13   #3280
Team-BHP Support

There was a new scooter purchase in house. The first shocker was the price. IIRC, had got the Activa i for just under 50K. Its close to 60 now.

Activa 125 was not needed. But the goodies of Aviator have been slapped on the 125. The design is ok too.

Dio, despite all these years, still manages to pull heart strings. If I had to buy, might have got Dio.

Settled for the Activa 3G. For some ~ Rs. 1,700 the looks are fresh compared the plain vanila Activa.

I believe waiting too should have been reduced unless you want something specific. There were close to 50 scooters in stock.

Went only to a Honda showroom, so experience shared based on that.
Old 17th March 2015, 19:10   #3281
NIP
Senior - BHPian

For those interested in the Activa 125, FYI - Just booked a white 125 Deluxe at Dhruvdesh Honda in Bangalore, and most colours are available off the shelf. I wanted a white, so I have to wait 3-4 days.

Posting this as I read someone say the Activa 125 Deluxe production has stopped or something like that...

Last edited by NIP : 17th March 2015 at 19:13.
Old 18th March 2015, 08:49   #3282
Senior - BHPian

Completed the Insurance renewal process for my Activa 15 days in advance of the actual expiry date. This was done basically to take the advantage of saving on the Third party premium amount which is due to increase wef 1st April 2015. Although the amount saved may be paltry but nevertheless saving is saving.

The difference between the last year's premium and this year's premium is a huge Re 1. The drop in this year's OD premium is totally negated by increase in the Third party premium which sadly is again going to increase.

The Insurance was renewed with Oriental Insurance.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:12   #3283
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghodlur View Post
by increase in the Third party premium which sadly is again going to increase.

The Insurance was renewed with Oriental Insurance.
Same case for me. First year was Rs. 1200 odd, second year 907 and third year 906. But frankly the TPP was too less for the kind of coverage we got. But the news of another increase is something I didn't know.
Old 18th March 2015, 10:18   #3284
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by audioholic View Post
But the news of another increase is something I didn't know.
Check the link.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ml#post3644081

TP premium increase every year I guess is going to be the norm. I was under the belief that opening of the Insurance sector for FDI would make the premium pricing competitive and bring down the Insurance costs substantially. But looks like this too is going the fuel pricing way, Insurance co will have the final say.
Old 18th March 2015, 23:17   #3285
BHPian

After owning two Honda Activa's (Black & White) with over 51000kms and 22000 kms on their ODO's respectively,the activa brand has a command-able respect from my end.The moto of activa is fill-it-and-forget-it.Apart from the regular free services,i hardly spent anything on them.
Pros:
Very convenient to ride
pocket-friendly maintenance
Superb resale value
Early morning start is a breeze

Cons:
Suspension : Going over big potholes over "good" speeds is a nightmare
Scooter-ish looks compared to the newer models in the current market,but with Activa 3G,things seem to be slightly better with so-called-refreshed looks and a better power output.

PS : i am planning to replace the older activa with a new gear-less scooter in the coming months and the clear choice of replacement would be activa "3G"
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks