Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:03   #1771
Senior - BHPian

Re: The Gearless Scooter Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg View Post
Can you please explain clearly why you think these two are the "worst" of the lot. As far as the market is concerned Activa is one of the top two in popularity. So you need to be clearer and detailed in your claims when you make such a BIG statement.

As far as the Wego is concerned, I agree its a good vehicle personally but some how did not strike the right chord with the final user. +1 on Streak as well. Can't push her into that.
These two are the worst plainly because there is nothing that the Activa does better than its competition, and most importantly it has an awful ride quality. Add to it the massive waiting period, there isnt anything about which I can say "Yes, the Activa is really good at this". And also I feel, for what you are getting with the Activa it a bit overpriced.

What its really good at is being a "perceived" safe choice.

The same goes with the Pleasure as well, unless probably somebody likes the cool colour schemes it comes in and that its a bit lighter than the rest.

Almost every other scooter in the market, has one or more things that can be called a USP. While the Activa has none whatsoever, as you yourself have pointed out.

With your statement, I have to add one thing. I think your friend's mom has ridden an Activa for quite some time. And when she is trying out something different, she is feeling odd and a bit out of place. Which is why you are using terms like "not striking a chord". I beleive once she rides any other scooter for a certain period of time, she will feel right at home. And after a decent period of time, she will see that something like the Wego is far more comfortable than the Activa.
Old 2nd September 2011, 13:19   #1772
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
These two are the worst plainly because there is nothing that the Activa does better than its competition, and most importantly it has an awful ride quality. Add to it the massive waiting period, there isnt anything about which I can say "Yes, the Activa is really good at this". And also I feel, for what you are getting with the Activa it a bit overpriced.

What its really good at is being a "perceived" safe choice.

While the Activa has none whatsoever, as you yourself have pointed out.
Whoa @julupani thats going a bit overboard, dont you think. The fact is that Activa sells more every month than the Wego, Access and others combined. I do agree the ride quality of Activa is not good but its not awful. Yes the waiting period is huge but people do wait for Activa dont they? The main USP of Activa is the build quality, you still find the old gen Activa running absolutely fine without any niggles. The engine is the USP and the main reason for people buying Activa just for that peace of mind. Would Wego, Access match those, only time will tell.
Old 2nd September 2011, 14:25   #1773
Senior - BHPian

Yes like I said, being the "perceived" safe choice is the only thing that it has going for it.

And why are we doubting that a renowned manufacturer like Suzuki will do any worse?? I see no reason at all.

TVS?? I have a standard TVS Scooty. 8 years old now and has run close to 1.1lakh kms , 3years and 60k kms of which it received a complete thrashing at my hands during which it used to stay at full throttle more often than not. Completely fine today, it even gives mileage as good as my Rodeo does. My neighbors have no less than 3 Scooty Peps, one 7 years old now, and still running fine.

If TVS can give us something like that, why is there such a serious suspicion that the Wego will not be any good at reliabilty??

The Activa sells only because of "perception", that its is reliable and the rest are not.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:07   #1774
Distinguished - BHPian

^^ the Activa sells because of the Honda badge ; a reliable machine no doubt, but there are equally good choices in the Access and the Wego.

I have a Nova135 with me and a TVS Scooty Pep in Chennai ; both close to 8 years old and doing very well.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:14   #1775
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sajo View Post
I have an HH Pleasure bought as a runabout, and I am quite satisfied with the product. Things tilting in its favour compared to the Activa for me were/are ready availability, better dealership and sales experience (dunno how it is in Bangy), light, engine refinement and better priced as well.
Hero Moto -Went to two dealers in South Bangalore. The dealership experience was ok since they are more A$$ than main dealers but closer to where we live. Promised delivery within a week for the color which was chosen.
Honda -experience was very straight forward, we have the vehicles you all know, buy them or we will get some one else to join the waiting list. But heard that the servicing is a pain in Blr from other Activa owners - long queues and unkept promises (work not done as promised) by many service stations (feels a little taken back hearing this)

Quote:
I beleive once she rides any other scooter for a certain period of time, she will feel right at home. And after a decent period of time, she will see that something like the Wego is far more comfortable than the Activa.
This is true but you buy decision would not happen if it has not been accepted at the initial few instances and it was a no on size and cost etc. Also as said earlier once cannot force some one on a product expecting them to adjust later. Personal choice it is.

Though with more and more inputs on Wego will ask her to relook at the vehicle and see what happens in the second shot.

Quote:
Yes like I said, being the "perceived" safe choice is the only thing that it has going for it.

The Activa sells only because of "perception", that its is reliable and the rest are not.
On this point that the Scooty has served well and hence imply that Wego will do in the long run is only correct to a point (quoting examples). No wonder TVS has grown to a very good auto company in the years but every new product has to prove itself in terms of style and performance (proven engines, brand can help to an extent). Think of so many examples of duds - Estilo, A Star, Bajaj Wave from big manufactures with great reputation

Just to restate the requirement which made the above shortlist -

1. A moderately light scooter with good power
2. Full sized vehicle that can carry 2 adults
3. Good A$$ and low maintenance
4. Proven mechanicals and good mileage

Last edited by girishglg : 2nd September 2011 at 15:17.
Old 2nd September 2011, 15:51   #1776
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
. Think of so many examples of duds - Estilo, A Star, Bajaj Wave from big manufactures with great reputation

Well, other than the Bajaj Wave, vehicles like the Estilo and A-Star, may have been sales dud, but they still were decent products. They arent unreliable, and if you like an A-Star or an Estilo, there is nothing wrong in buying one at all. A couple of thousand people continue to do so every months.

As for the Wave, I dont think Bajaj were ever known for reliable niggle free product at all. So doubting that brand is okay. Their previous efforts at gearless scooters werent that good either.

Looking at your requirements, Wego it should be. But your needs are way too generic, as in everybody needs them and almost all scooters can give that much.

Will it be regularly carrying 2 people, or just occasionally?? If its occasionally, the Scooty Streak would be good enough, and is much much lighter. And the Scooty Streak, also happens to be a proven product, since its just a differently styled Pep+, which has been around for 8-9 years now.

Otherwise, the Wego is the best all-rounder out there.
Old 2nd September 2011, 16:17   #1777
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Based on your requirements, you can try (other than Activa & Wego) Mahindra Rodeo/Duro or else wait for Hero Maestro which is announced to be launched. If you can wait futher then launch of Yamaha & Vespa scooters is round the end of the year.

I hear Honda is to launch one more scooter called Vision.
Honda Vision 110 - New Honda Vision 110 Colors | BikeDekho.com
Old 5th September 2011, 21:04   #1778
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also as said earlier once cannot force some one on a product expecting them to adjust later. Personal choice it is.
Totally with you on this one. To narrate a simple experience from personal life, my wife was not happy with the Scooty and was more happy with the control she got on the Dio though Dio was heavier than the Scooty. So personal choice it is and the person who will ride the scooter has to take the call.

Quote:
Though with more and more inputs on Wego will ask her to relook at the vehicle and see what happens in the second shot.
Dont push it too much and let her decide if she really wants to try it or not.

Quote:
Agree with Julupani that most scoots match this criteria but out of your shortlist, the HH Pleasure is slightly better as it fulfills point 1 better than the activa. Also the smaller form factor of pleasure will be easier to maneuver than activa.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:49   #1779
BHPian

Today, I was in for a surprise when My sis updated that she was promised new Activa delivery in 20 days flat by the dealer (Malappuram, Kerala) after back to back inquiries. Another dealer in the next town (Tirur) had updated her of 10 month waiting the same day!!!

Seems most dealers just bluff about insane waiting periods and thus just create a fake halo around such a scooter- agreed the engine is quite a gem.
Old 6th September 2011, 14:53   #1780
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
Totally with you on this one. To narrate a simple experience from personal life, my wife was not happy with the Scooty and was more happy with the control she got on the Dio though Dio was heavier than the Scooty. So personal choice it is and the person who will ride the scooter has to take the call.
Dont push it too much and let her decide if she really wants to try it or not.
Yes this is what happens, actually my friend on my saying got his mom TD the Wego again, but the niggling unhappiness was still there, quoting it was a little bigger to her liking.. so now finally gave up on that.(Numbers, specifications etc does not hold ground here)
Also about Activa, the fatigue factor set in after many years of use has made her look out for an alternative. Leaning towards Pleasure at this point of time till the final call this weekend when the booking will be done. Have asked to check Scooty siblings again (Streak and Pep).
What is the real difference apart from looks and which is better?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePunter View Post
Today, I was in for a surprise when My sis updated that she was promised new Activa delivery in 20 days flat by the dealer (Malappuram, Kerala) after back to back inquiries. Another dealer in the next town (Tirur) had updated her of 10 month waiting the same day!!!
The Blr waiting quoted by dealers is 3-4 months, may get it down to 2 months with some push for Activa. Pleasure is immediate to a week's delivery depending on color. Again +1 for the Pleasure (have to get tagged an option which has shorter delivery time since any other option after booking will lead to more confusion and complications)

Last edited by girishglg : 6th September 2011 at 14:55.
Old 6th September 2011, 15:04   #1781
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Seems most dealers just bluff about insane waiting periods and thus just create a fake halo around such a scooter- agreed the engine is quite a gem.
I hope your sister is being promised a latest Activa and not some old back dated engine. Ask her to verify the month of manufacture. Or may be it might be a good thing coz some customer fed up of waiting might have cancelled the booking and luckily it was assigned to your sister. All the best.
Old 8th September 2011, 11:17   #1782
Senior - BHPian

@ThePunter -What are your options in terms of buying a gearless scooter? Are you looking at only Activa given the long waiting periods.
Pleasure and Wego owners - can you provide some ownership and servicing experience and Kitna deti hai??

Quote:
Old 8th September 2011, 11:28   #1783
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Pleasure and Wego owners - can you provide some ownership and servicing experience and Kitna deti hai??
Have 2 Wego owners in my team. Both of them are happy with the ownership so far. 1 has completed the first service and the other is still due for 1st service. The service experience was alright. Mainly they are very happy with the way the Wego rides over bad roads and uneven roads. They feel that its as plush as a bike and even the control it offers is very good.

The scoot which has completed 1st service is giving the guy 40kmpl in non-peak hour traffic. The other scoot is returning 35kmpl during peak hour traffic and congested roads.

Last edited by abhinav.s : 8th September 2011 at 11:30.
Old 8th September 2011, 16:56   #1784
BHPian

Surprises keep coming.
2 days back they got a call saying if they immidiately pay ready cash, activa can be delivered in 2 days. So they did, and continuing, the PDI was done yesterday and proceeded for registration; the scooter (gemi grey) was delivered today afternoon with accessories. It was told a new load had come, probably to meet the festival demand or so. Anyways it was a great thing to happen given that Activa was almost out of wish list after hearing so much about the waiting periods.

Quote:
Originally Posted by girishglg
@ThePunter -What are your options in terms of buying a gearless scooter? Are you looking at only Activa given the long waiting periods.
They had just thought of the suzuki access but later backed out hearing that it may offer lesser mileage comparitivly. Wego, I agree is a good choice- my friends second it too. Just that many people take a step back on the tvs brand vis a vis a honda.
Old 8th September 2011, 20:12   #1785
BHPian

I have both the scooters Access and Wego. Both give similar mileages. (Around 48kmpl)
When i go out alone, I prefer Wego. The ride and handling is exceptional. And the braking is also great.
When my wife and me plan to go out together, Access it is ! It has decent amount of power and torque to pull 2 well built adults easily. But the ride is very stiff and braking is not as good as the Wego.
I'd say, go for Wego. It is a very nice scooter. The only area where it misses out against Access is in the engine power department. But Wego is not bad either.
DieselAddikt is offline   (1) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks