Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th July 2009, 21:20   #91
BHPian

The gear lever in such bikes are a pain. Unlike other bikes, they don't have an extension to facilitate gear shifting using only the sole of the foot. These bikes will need you to use the upper or lower part of your toes. If you are wearing formal shoes, you can say bye-bye to them very soon. How easy is it to get a conventional gear lever attached to such a bike? Any examples? Pics would be good
Old 13th July 2009, 13:55   #92
Senior - BHPian

I dont agree, I have been riding toe only shifter bikes since 2003 & I havent damaged any shoe because of this. In rains your shoe might get dirty more but it wont ruin your shoe.

Last edited by Technocrat : 13th July 2009 at 17:57.
Old 13th July 2009, 17:53   #93
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat View Post
I dont agree, I have been riding a toe only shifter bikes since 2003 & I havent damaged any shoe because of this. In rains your shoe might get dirty more but it wont ruin your shoe.
+1.

I have used a toe only shifter bike to office for 8 months and it has not damaged any of my formal shoes.
Old 13th July 2009, 18:22   #94
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.s View Post
+1.

I have used a toe only shifter bike to office for 8 months and it has not damaged any of my formal shoes.
+1 = 3
me too, I think you need to get used these gear levers. They are never really a pain and with use, your foot automatically responds something like a reflex, and for the shoe part I really dont know but nothing happened to me as such.
Old 14th July 2009, 01:34   #95
BHPian

if ur so concerned about ur shoes then wear a sweat band on ur left shoe or something . i just cant seem to understand how guys change with their heel !! LOL . do u even get the feel of the gear slotting into place ? can u like slip the clutch and slot a gear - feel it slot and if ur box hasnt clicked or hit the right rpm to get into the powerband can u correct it using our famous indian heel shifting method ? I dont think ud get that kind of a feel with ur heel ( rhymes no ? ) maybe they should do away with toe shifters in motogp and go heel shifting !! ud just be banging ur heel away . i think its better to ride an automatic scooter than shift with ur heel , but hey thats just my opinion nice to see alot of new bikes coming with only toe shifters . thats the way most of the world rides today . that and the 1 down 4 or 5 up gearshift system . again thanx to yamaha for bring it into india . First toe only shifter and 1 down 5 up gearbox in india : RD350 . ive cut the heel shifter off my bikes . i just cant seem to figure em out .

Last edited by 2StrokeJunkie : 14th July 2009 at 01:38.
Old 21st July 2009, 08:09   #96
Senior - BHPian

I got a chance to take a test bike out for a spin, when my Bullet was getting fixed. I must say that I was very impressed with the fit/finish. And the riding feel. Slick, and I loved the look of the rear tyre. The one problem for me was that it encouraged me to go way too fast, even in traffic. One needs a lot of character, with a bike like that. And that is just a 150, imagine what will happen when a long awaited 250 of any brand is finally available.
Going back to the Bullet, it was immediately apparent how non - slick it is. Agricultural, almost! But it lets me ride at what are sensible speeds for my age and current traffic conditions, so the Bullet it remains for me.
But a lovely lovely little bike, and one of the best I have seen in India. The Pulsars are all show and no go, as far as reliabilty is concerned. Yamaha have finally got a RX 100 successor in spirit. A 250 version could be very interesting!
Old 21st July 2009, 08:27   #97
Senior - BHPian

hey swayer, you said it mate. lovely handling. my friend is on his third set of shoes. 250 should be really interesting. a bit of engine mods and it would be addictive. Yamaha, keep the right track. the new daytona kit fz16 looks awesome.. simply.
Old 21st July 2009, 08:44   #98
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2StrokeJunkie View Post
if ur so concerned about ur shoes then wear a sweat band on ur left shoe or something .
Nice thought, and it may work very well too! Thing is not too many of us can be Rossis and Stoners on the road in real lifeso for those of us sorry people who cannot, the heel shifter works well in sedate riding. For a Bullet for sure, given the shoes I use on it, and given that sometimes the lever needs a good stomp on it to make the change stick. The only issue I had with the Yam was I found it difficult to get my shoes under the shifter - of course it was a test bike, and moving the lever around would have addressed the issue, I think.
But I agree that having a heel extension on the FZ 16 is insulting the bike! Actually that was my problem with the bike, very quickly I found myself doing things that my reflexes are no longer in place to handle. That, and I found the exhaust note to be boring.
Old 25th November 2009, 17:10   #99
BHPian

Questions on the FZ for the owners-

- How much did not having a crash gaurd affect you? Possible to source one?
- The bikes battery start only is a concern, any issues here?
- I know broad tyres= better grip, but I have heard atleast one concern about the bike skidding a lot.. did you come across this?
Old 25th November 2009, 20:34   #100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamuraiJack View Post
Questions on the FZ for the owners-

- How much did not having a crash gaurd affect you? Possible to source one?
- The bikes battery start only is a concern, any issues here?
- I know broad tyres= better grip, but I have heard atleast one concern about the bike skidding a lot.. did you come across this?
I have never faced any problems with regards to any of the points mentioned by you. The moment I took delivery of my bike the saree guard was off. The self starter has never caused any problems to the battery, & there is NO skidding whatsoever with those rubbers. There is no option of a crash guard at all, the only reason I sold my bike was for lack of power, if only it had been 200 cc or above it would have been FANTASTIC.

CHEERS,
G D
Old 27th December 2009, 00:49   #101
BHPian

does the yamaha logo on the fairing glow when the head light is switched on? i saw it on an fz. looked awesome!
Old 27th December 2009, 02:26   #102
BHPian

I guess you are asking about Fazer ! I have no clue about it. There is nothing like that in my FZ.
Old 18th February 2010, 23:09   #103
BHPian

hey Ranjith,

I own an FZ16 too, its been a year since I have had it, and my love for that bike has only grown with each day. Do, you know by any chance how you could get discs on the rear wheel without havnig to lose the low profile tires? :-)

Regards,
Anup
Old 21st February 2010, 09:38   #104

Hi friends... well this is my first post so cheers!!!

Someone here wanted some dope on the glowing yamaha logo rite,
for sure one can get them on his/her FZ , it is a part of the performance kit and can be purchased separately (i.e if a person only prefers buying the glowing LED's and not the whole kit)
You can get it confirmed over the phone with your nearest YAMAHA dealer.

P.S : It looks really really fab!!!

Cheers!!
Old 17th March 2010, 22:15   #105
BHPian

Cool ! Just wondering how cool the FZ-S would be ! Because I'm gonna purchase one soon :-)

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks