Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th February 2009, 18:20   #16
BHPian

Congrats on buying the R15 Sriram, i like the sticky tires.
Old 6th February 2009, 18:22   #17
Senior - BHPian

I am surprised they are not giving TDs at the dealerships. They expect people to drop 1.2 lakhs w/o knowing what they are getting??
Old 6th February 2009, 18:23   #18
Senior - BHPian

Well they are giving test rides in Pune but yes certainly no test rides for the MT & R1
Old 7th February 2009, 15:00   #19
BHPian

If I were to buy the R15, I would have to have the dealer swap out both tires for bigger ones before I even touch it. I can't stand the bicycle tires. If they can't do it on the same rim, new rims it will have to be. Great, now I would have paid 1.25 lakhs for what is a pretty faced commuter bike putting out 15 HP at the crank?

Good for Yamaha that they are making a killing, and good for the people who buy the R15, I have nothing against either. But I cant help feeling that yamaha is patronizing us all.
Old 7th February 2009, 18:56   #20
BHPian

bike looks good macha , but for the tyres. Would love to see your pit the riding experience against your karizma.
Old 8th February 2009, 01:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxaarraa View Post
If I were to buy the R15, I would have to have the dealer swap out both tires for bigger ones before I even touch it. I can't stand the bicycle tires. If they can't do it on the same rim, new rims it will have to be. Great, now I would have paid 1.25 lakhs for what is a pretty faced commuter bike putting out 15 HP at the crank?

Good for Yamaha that they are making a killing, and good for the people who buy the R15, I have nothing against either. But I cant help feeling that yamaha is patronizing us all.
Again only for looks.
Yamaha has done enough R&D on the tyres.
if they wanted to pit it as commuter they could have easily given it 140 section rear tyre as the FZ.
The tyres on R15 are the best one has ever seen on any indian bikes.
though skinny,they stick to road like leech and people are craving to buy them off the market(Sadly they arent available freely in market as of now).

Last edited by akshay4587 : 8th February 2009 at 01:36.
Old 8th February 2009, 08:56   #22
BHPian

Thanks!

@speed0mania, @nitin, @akshay4587, @arsudarsan, @abinav.gupta88, @sankar, sammy, techno, @sreerama, @vikrut - (I hope I haven't missed anyone!) - Thanks a lot guys!

@Nitin, @xxaarraa: I was very worried about the tires too! They really take some charm away from the bike. The side profile is pretty good.

But, as @akshay4587 pointed out, the tires are AWESOME. So good that I haven't thought about replacing them with fatter rubber. I saw a video of the R15 designer (Japanese guy) who spoke at length about the tires and how they were developed in tracks of Japan (and produced here by MRF - I guess MRF was involved in the design too).

The tire sticks to the road (like a leech, as someone pointed out) in regular and wet surfaces. The bike kept pushing me to do tighter corners on wet roads after a rain - The fastest I have taken on a corner with this bike is 110 Kmph (speedo). So, I currently don't have complaints about the tires. Sometimes, form doesn't follow the function I guess!

@supremebaleno - I think I would have still taken the R15 (though it is lighter in the wallet) - As @Sankar pointed out, R15 is a much advanced machine! Liquid cooled engine, dual disc brakes, great looks, forged aluminium cylinder, great handling and so on. Some people in my office give me strange looks (esp the ladies) when I praise FZ16 for its 'butch' looks! They say - 'We like your bike better, anyday!' - Also, I am not a big fan of the digital console of FZ16.

@sammyboy - Pacer Motors, Bangalore suck when it come to accessories. I wanted to buy the Yamaha Keychain and gloves, and last checked they didn't have any. I plan to check out some showrooms in Chennai when I go there next.

@Mpower - I was surprised (and extremely irritated) to know that they don't offer test rides. I just resigned myself to my fate and bought it! I think 90% of R15 buyers do the same! (Some might have friends who already bought R15)

I am very sorry for getting back late - Friday was a nightmare @ office, and yesterday I pushed off to Nandi Hills with R15 - I was dead tired when I came back - I'll post my detailed review of R-15 in comparison with other bikes that I have driven today.
Old 8th February 2009, 22:07   #23
BHPian

Well I have missed this thread actually I have been quiet off the web for some time !!

First of all congrats to Sriram.

Please for what ever reason, anybody dont try to compare FZ16 with R15. Can we talk about the FZ16 in this thread I guess its a premium segment but not a premium bike although

Please dont talk about the tires of the R15 they do the functionality. Its very well designed and nice rubber provides the good adhesion.

Last edited by rranjith_kum : 8th February 2009 at 22:09.
Old 12th February 2009, 15:58   #24
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sriramv.iyer
@supremebaleno - I think I would have still taken the R15 (though it is lighter in the wallet) - As @Sankar pointed out, R15 is a much advanced machine! Liquid cooled engine, dual disc brakes, great looks, forged aluminium cylinder, great handling and so on.
Thanks. That is what I wanted to know. Had asked this question because in some other thread, when I mentioned about R15, got suggestions to go for FZ16. Hence my confusion whether the R15 was worth the extra paid for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
Except engine displacement there is nothing comparable between the characteristics of these two bikes, not bhp, not topspeed, not handling. Of course the crankcases are similar as both have been derived from the Vixion engine.
What is the topspeed for the R15 and the FZ ? I could not get topspeed info for either of these bikes on the Yamaha website.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sankar
FZ is just a dressed up 150cc bike and it's stable mates are Hunk, CBZxtreme, Unicorn, Achiever, RTR etc.
Thanks, sankar. That clears it. As I mentioned above, my whole idea was to know whether the R15 was worth the extra paid for it over the FZ.

Last edited by supremeBaleno : 12th February 2009 at 15:59.
Old 12th February 2009, 16:04   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post
What is the topspeed for the R15 and the FZ ? I could not get topspeed info for either of these bikes on the Yamaha website.
someone on xbhp did a 148 on a stock R 15 on regular roads.
Old 12th February 2009, 16:24   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by supremeBaleno View Post

Thanks, sankar. That clears it. As I mentioned above, my whole idea was to know whether the R15 was worth the extra paid for it over the FZ.
Topspeed of FZ as tested by a magazine (either Bike or OD) was 106kmph true. Topspeed of R15 as tested by few Bangy boys was around 128kmph true speed. Joel/Killer could confirm.
Old 14th February 2009, 10:10   #27
BHPian

True top speed tested by Autocar is 109KPH.
Old 14th February 2009, 11:05   #28
BHPian

i feel yamaha should have given the same technology of the r15 to the fz16 aswell.
Old 14th February 2009, 22:38   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by chetan View Post
i feel yamaha should have given the same technology of the r15 to the fz16 aswell.
I think you are trying to mean the Diasil cylinder and FI ... well thats what even I felt, but the cost of FZ too would have definitely shooted up, more over FZ 16 was given a little better treatment muffler for example and more over its is also equally engineered in terms of centre body mass.

In lieu of liquid cooling the engine gets flow directors and good fins for effective heat dissipation !!
Two different machines, two prices and truly two category aimed at different interests !!
Old 27th February 2009, 14:34   #30
BHPian

One of my dear friend got himself R15 recently... Bike looks neat and handles well... have done 120+ on road as well... All in all Nice machine suitable for India road conditions...

I have driven FZ16 but its whole together different experience...

If I am not wrong we are comparing 2 different types of bikes.. R15 performance bike and FZ16 street bike...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks