Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th July 2013, 13:52   #601
Senior - BHPian

Re: Royal Enfield Queries

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
There is a reson you do not use petrol to clean painted surfaces.
Am wondering as to how the company can be short sighted to this aspect? Is this unique to RE or to all Indian manufacturers?
Old 11th July 2013, 13:55   #602
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ku69rd View Post
Am wondering as to how the company can be short sighted to this aspect? Is this unique to RE or to all Indian manufacturers?
Its something new. I have not had this on any of my factory painted tanks. Even on my spare modded tanks, I am anal about ensuring that the inside is clean.

Those trying to justify this or offering workarounds like filters are missing the bigger picture.

Which is, today in 2013, no factory finished fuel tank should have painted insides. Not on bikes costing more than a hundred and fifty thousand rupees.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:01   #603
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebonho View Post
Which is, today in 2013, no factory finished fuel tank should have painted insides. Not on bikes costing more than a hundred and fifty thousand rupees.
Well would suggest that we have to remove the paint ourselves. The good Ol Thinner, Fill the tank with thinner and keep rotating the tank so that all edges can be covered. A good 5-7 days should be able to remove the inner lining.
But is it 100% fool proof, I dunno. Something with 4-5 liters of thinner can be tried.
Old 11th July 2013, 14:03   #604
J.Ravi

Quote:
I would be more worried if the paint on the inner sides react chemically with petrol and disappear
So far, I have not observed any loose bits inside the tank. But, I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Old 11th July 2013, 14:46   #605
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Well would suggest that we have to remove the paint ourselves. The good Ol Thinner, Fill the tank with thinner and keep rotating the tank so that all edges can be covered. A good 5-7 days should be able to remove the inner lining.
But is it 100% fool proof, I dunno. Something with 4-5 liters of thinner can be tried.
That would probably also spoil the actual protective layer the inside of the tank is layered with.

I would simply ask the company to replace my tank. Enough guys do that, their factory processes will come back on track. Otherwise it will be more of the same - you are buying into a bit of history, heritage, brotherhood, yada yada yada - keep quiet, don't complain, and hand me your money.
ebonho is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 01:19   #606
Distinguished - BHPian

@ Trojan

The rubber strips placed on the engine are there to dampen out high frequency vibration that might occur in the cooling fins. .
This (I've been told) could be a irritating sound to some people.

Personally, living in a hot climate as I do, I decided shortly after buying my Royal Enfield that I would rather have the additional engine cooling that would be available if I removed the rubber strips. (They do inhibit airflow and they do cover a significant amount of surface area of the fins that could be radiating heat away from the cylinder.)

With this in mind, when the first one fell off, I simply removed the rest of them.

After riding my RE for over 2 years for a distance of 17,452 km (10,820 miles), at speeds of 80-110 kmph, there has been no damage to the engine or to my ears.

I suggest that you either ignore the missing rubber strip or remove the remaining ones.

Last edited by ArizonaJim : 12th July 2013 at 01:21.
ArizonaJim is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2013, 06:40   #607

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinodv001 View Post
Got my Forest green 500 Std on last Thursday and really impressed with the power/ torque characteristic ( over 350).

All the excitement vanished next day morning as the bullet didn't start. It was starting with the choke and the moment choke is released, engine went off.

It was observed that inside of fuel tank is also painted with the same green colour, and started peeling off; this might have blocked fuel line/ carburetor.

Went to service centre to clean tank and carburetor and raised warranty claim for new tank. For the time being running on the faulty tank; please see the attached picture of fuel tank.

My query: Is the inside of fuel tanks painted with body colour in other bullets?The showroom claims the two bullet 500s they have have similar fuel tank.
Nowadays major automobile players go in for galvanised fuel tanks as this prevents rusting and contamination of FIPS/carbueretters ,strainers,fuel filters ,fuel lines
Painting of fuel tank from inside of is unheard of and may create problems in smooth running eventually affecting the performance

Fuel tanks made of plastic are also seen in many cars of late as it is cost effective and devoid of quality issues related to rusting
Old 12th July 2013, 17:14   #608
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaJim View Post
@ Trojan

After riding my RE for over 2 years for a distance of 17,452 km (10,820 miles), at speeds of 80-110 kmph, there has been no damage to the engine or to my ears.

I suggest that you either ignore the missing rubber strip or remove the remaining ones.
Thanks a ton Jim! Makes me feel a lot better now. Yea it is quite difficult to ignore the missing strip. I will try to ignore it, I didn't really think that it would affect engine cooling, never crossed my mind at all, but then with the temperatures we have here most of the time, heating shouldn't really be a major cause of concern right now, might have to check though during summers.

Cheers!
Old 2nd August 2013, 11:06   #609
BHPian

Re: All T-BHP Royal Enfield Owners- Your Bike Pics here Please

First off congrats to all handles in owning the BULLets. Its monster of a bike, be it the looks or the thumps. It was always a distant dream to own one of these. Not for long trips, but for the family comfort. Hope someday I may get my hands on any one of them.

Slightly OT,
Why is that everybody buying the Thunderbird 500 and not the 350 ?
Old 2nd August 2013, 14:06   #610
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dre@ms View Post
Slightly OT,Why is that everybody buying the Thunderbird 500 and not the 350 ?
Speaking from my personal experience, assuming budget is not a constraint and if purchaser is buying it for liesure riding and not as a daily commuter, one test drive on a 500cc is enough to blow the person away and 350cc in comparison pales in terms of performance

Hence, increase in people buying more of 500cc vs. 350cc
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:07   #611
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly OT, Why is that everybody buying the Thunderbird 500 and not the 350 ?
Fair observation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
Speaking from my personal experience, assuming budget is not a constraint and if purchaser is buying it for liesure riding and not as a daily commuter, one test drive on a 500cc is enough to blow the person away and 350cc in comparison pales in terms of performance

Hence, increase in people buying more of 500cc vs. 350cc
Absolutely agree. The difference in price is about 40k, but when you are paying upwards of 1.4L, many would not mind paying 40k extra - especially as you get best of both worlds, the comfort of the TB and power of the Classic-500 in one machine. This was the rational for my TB500
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:22   #612
BHPian

Quote:
purchaser is buying it for liesure riding and not as a daily commuter, one test drive on a 500cc is enough to blow the person away and 350cc in comparison pales in terms of performance
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam_b View Post
Fair observation.
Absolutely agree. The difference in price is about 40k, This was the rational for my TB500
Accept on the leisure ride. And Bullets are best suited for long drives, keeping in mind the comfort.
That means Bullets are not for daily commute?
I am thinking of replacing my Unicorn. Which version of Bullet would be the right replacer. I am not in to travelogues.
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:31   #613
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Accept on the leisure ride. And Bullets are best suited for long drives, keeping in mind the comfort.
I am thinking of replacing my Unicorn. Which version of Bullet would be the right replacer. I am not in to travelogues.
Firstly, i dont ride a bike to work. I ride bikes only for liesure and Bullet fitted my requirement perfectly.

If you want a bullet to be a daily commuter, I dont think its too comfortable if your nature of daily ride is through crowded streets. Bullets are most enjoyable in open roads and this feeling can take a nose dive as soon as you caught up in a jam as balancing a bullet is a bit tough due to its weight

If your built like "most" bullet owners ( 6ft and above) then it doesnt matter which one you choose. 500 vs. 350

For daily commuting, 350 is a no-brainer for reasons below :-

1. Slightly lesser weight so easier to manage in traffic conditions
2. Much better FE
3. Finally, 40K cheaper

With regards to long rides, I have done maximum 300kms one-way rides and I dont think i can and will do higher than that as it gets really uncomfortable post this distance

TBTS is anyday more comfortable for long distance than a Classic. But, I like Classic's retro styling and better handling than TBTS

Last edited by mobike008 : 2nd August 2013 at 15:32.
mobike008 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2013, 15:40   #614
BHPian

Quote:
If you want a bullet to be a daily commuter, I dont think its too comfortable if your nature of daily ride is through crowded streets. Bullets are most enjoyable in open roads and this feeling can take a nose dive as soon as you caught up in a jam as balancing a bullet is a bit tough due to its weight

If your built like "most" bullet owners ( 6ft and above) then it doesnt matter which one you choose. 500 vs. 350

For daily commuting, 350 is a no-brainer for reasons below :-

1. Slightly lesser weight so easier to manage in traffic conditions
2. Much better FE
3. Finally, 40K cheaper

TBTS is anyday more comfortable for long distance than a Classic. But, I like Classic's retro styling and better handling than TBTS
I am not a body builder or having a huge body. I am medium at 5.8"

I like to drive my bike rather than my City, reason, easy to park, can search for places and drive through various streets mostly congested.

Even I am inclined towards the TBTS, which should suit my build. And the reasons you have mentioned make me shortlist it too with no more research and hesitation. Come weekend and I have decided to TD the TBTS 350cc.

Wish me luck, since this is going to be my first ride with the Bullet/RE.
Old 2nd August 2013, 16:46   #615
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
I am not a body builder or having a huge body. I am medium at 5.8"

I like to drive my bike rather than my City, reason, easy to park, can search for places and drive through various streets mostly congested.

Even I am inclined towards the TBTS, which should suit my build. And the reasons you have mentioned make me shortlist it too with no more research and hesitation. Come weekend and I have decided to TD the TBTS 350cc.

Wish me luck, since this is going to be my first ride with the Bullet/RE.
The bullets are used for daily commute by a large number of users. The TB500 (and even the 350) are easy to handle and maneouvre well in traffic too.
Do the TD (for both) and it should help you decide. If you are sure you wouldn't be riding a lot on highways, 350 will ofcourse deliver better FE in the city. BTW i am 5'8" too, 74 kg and proud rider of a TB500, so your height and weight shouldn't be any problem.. and yes, best of luck

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks