Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 22nd June 2005, 09:55   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid
..and the 5 speed RTZ 125 would smoke the 5 speed Yam before the RD350 smokes all of them to kingdom come.
How many horses does this machine (which I have never heard of btw) make? Stock ofcourse. And the RD350 is gawdamn hot. I worship it, but never got a chance to ride it.

Quote:
Yezdi rubber looked good to a lot of people, but it screwed up the final gearing (smaller wheels) and reduced top speed.

Now, if you used Yezdi wheels front and back you could've carried a stepney as a crashguard...
Yep even I heard that. I got the Yezdi rubber only on the rear wheel. I did not find a perceptible drop in top speed - I did 110 kmph (straightline, should be 100 kmph considering speedo error) with a pillion rider - but yeah cornering was such a breeze.
Old 22nd June 2005, 10:15   #32
BHPian

Suzuki Shogun ....THE BOSS!!
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:11   #33
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
How many horses does this machine (which I have never heard of btw) make? Stock ofcourse. And the RD350 is gawdamn hot. I worship it, but never got a chance to ride it.
Forgotten how many it makes but it sold for a very short time. I'll check up some old Auto India/C&BI when I get home to confirm. I did consider 'upgrading' my KB to a 125 for a while, primarily to get rid of the KB's perenniel knocking problems since the 125 came with an aluminium (or aluminium alloy) cylinder as opposed to the KB's cast iron one. However that was the time when I wasnt making enough money to modify ONE bike, and my RD was taking up most of the available resources (for both maintenance AND gas...)
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:26   #34
BANNED

Quote:
Forgotten how many it makes but it sold for a very short time. I'll check up some old Auto India/C&BI when I get home to confirm. I did consider 'upgrading' my KB to a 125 for a while, primarily to get rid of the KB's perenniel knocking problems since the 125 came with an aluminium (or aluminium alloy) cylinder as opposed to the KB's cast iron one. However that was the time when I wasnt making enough money to modify ONE bike, and my RD was taking up most of the available resources (for both maintenance AND gas...)
The KB125 RTZ as well as the Prowler (5 speed KB125 RTZ) developed 12.5 bhp @ 7250 rpm. If I remember correctly, the Prowler's gearing was slightly different to the standard KB125.

The Kawasaki Bajaj KB100 RTZ developed 10.5 bhp @ 7500 rpm. In early 1995, Bajaj decided to get rid of the Kawasaki tag and brought out an interim Bajaj KB100 RTZ that developed 11 bhp @ 7500 rpm (I had this version for over 2 years). In 1996, Bajaj brought out the KB125 RTZ. Visually, there was very little to distinguish it from the KB100 except for
1. Bigger engine block
2. Absence of the resonator (PowerBox in Bajaj parlance)
3. Rear indicators in line with the tail lamp

When they had the 125 engine ready, they were still deciding on the shape of their new 125 cc bike. They showcased the new bike in the Auto Expo that year and the bike was very similar to the Pulsar of today. Rather than wait, they simply launched the engine in the old shape bike.

They then introduced new graphics and the (in)famous "Don't mess with me" advertisements.

What they also did when they got rid of the Kawasaki tag was to alter the electricals slightly - they got rid of the cool parking light! If I turn my ignition switch to the "park" position, only the tail lamp comes on (which is slightly ridiculous).

Stock KB125s have their flaws - one of which is an irritating flat spot around 2000 rpm. The single biggest grouse I have had with any KB is the stupid seat!

hrag
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:39   #35
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrag
Rather than wait, they simply launched the engine in the old shape bike.
Yes, that was quite a disappointment.

Quote:
What they also did when they got rid of the Kawasaki tag was to alter the electricals slightly - they got rid of the cool parking light! If I turn my ignition switch to the "park" position, only the tail lamp comes on (which is slightly ridiculous).
Parking light may have been cool, but

(1) it also turned on the parking light on your headlamp console, not just the tail light. However, the parking light bulbs in the headlamp console fused out pretty fast which is probably why you never saw it on when the ignition switch was turned to park position

(2) it drained my battery on quite a few occasions, since the gap between 'Off' and 'Park' was hardly discernible. I have often left the parking light inadvertently on (especially when I park the bike in a hurry) only to come back after long intervals and find the battery nearly drained...

Quote:
The single biggest grouse I have had with any KB is the stupid seat!hrag
That and piston slap on the cast iron KB and RTZ. Plus the irritating whine of the rotary valve...
Old 22nd June 2005, 11:49   #36
Senior - BHPian

Steer, I don't think, I'll scrape footpegs now. May be once in a while, if I am really really pissed off at something

Five speed RX135 was 14 BHP, compared to 12.5 bhp of KB125. I have driven both. KB125 is no match to 5 speed Yamaha. Shifting to 5th gear of RX135 after 70, makes it cruise like you are riding at 40. It has pathetic firing note, too smoothed out for a RX, but it zooms past others so casually. A true challenger for Shogun "THE BOSS", but too late! It had to be discontinued quickly due to pollution norms.

Last edited by RX135 : 22nd June 2005 at 11:51.
Old 22nd June 2005, 13:47   #37
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The KB125 RTZ as well as the Prowler (5 speed KB125 RTZ) developed 12.5 bhp @ 7250 rpm. If I remember correctly, the Prowler's gearing was slightly different to the standard KB125.
Hmmm so the 5 speed Yam would smoke the KB. Hee Hee.
Old 22nd June 2005, 14:14   #38
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by typeOnegative
Hmmm so the 5 speed Yam would smoke the KB. Hee Hee.
I know I'm beginning to sound like a stuck record but I'll say this again - on a straight, the 5 speed RX135 will smoke the 4 speed KB125. The Prowler will put up a better fight than the KB125 but it will be close.

If you're talking corners and want fun, talk really fast corners and curves - the RTZ series will smoke the competition.

I'm talking stock trim here. No Yezdi / Endeavour tyres business

I'm not trying to start an argument. Yamaha RX's are very very good machines but handling is not one of their virtues, in my view.

The way this thread is going, poor rice_tuner is going to end up one confused soul!

hrag
Old 22nd June 2005, 14:26   #39
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The way this thread is going, poor rice_tuner is going to end up one confused soul!

hrag
Oh I can argue a lot on that. The KBs were good machines in their own right. Cornering in stock condition ... well I really dont know. I know that the KBs have a good chassis and nice tyres, but coming out of a corner the lower bhp might work against them. Hmmm ... lets leave it at that.
Old 22nd June 2005, 14:27   #40
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
If you're talking corners and want fun, talk really fast corners and curves - the RTZ series will smoke the competition.
Just curious! what is so special about RTZ at corners? Any reasons behind this? I never had any handling issues with my RX, so that makes me curious.
Old 22nd June 2005, 14:30   #41
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RX135
Just curious! what is so special about RTZ at corners? Any reasons behind this? I never had any handling issues with my RX, so that makes me curious.
The RTZ had a better set of tyres and a firmer chassis. It was built to better the RX100, which I think it did in terms of power and handling. But whether that would be turned into an advantage against the later Yamaha's I dont really know. I actually doubt it.
Old 22nd June 2005, 16:38   #42
Senior - BHPian

Sorry for joining in late

The RTZ had a longer wheelbase which made it more stable than the RXs plus the KB were preferred by people who were taller due to this.

we had lotsa drags in our college (specially when there was this advert where a KB125 & a RX135 are dragging & the KB guy slips under a shutter at the end ) & what i noticed that same guy won on both bikes, so it was more of rider than the machine as both were competant bike :-)

@hrag: Yamaha was really lazy in lauching the RX135 5 speed they should have lauched it long before, btw the exhaust of the 5 speed was really disaapointing.

As about the better rubber on the RX135s many of my friends had them shodded with the newly launched MRF Zapper & they said the handling had improved a lot after that.
Old 22nd June 2005, 16:54   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technocrat
The RTZ had a longer wheelbase which made it more stable than the RXs plus the KB were preferred by people who were taller due to this.
I am sorry for repeatedly going off topic, but one last question. Is ride height same for both RX and KB? I thought, RX has lower sitting position, which means lower CG and hence better handling.

And about your college drags, was that RX135 4 speed or 5 speed?

Returning back to the original thread, if it is contest between Shogun and RX100 (not RX135s), a well maintained Shogun is the one, I would vote for.
Old 22nd June 2005, 17:33   #44
Senior - BHPian

Okay, I will digress a bit more.

Techno, the advert was the KB against an RX100. The RX 135 was not released yet!

RX135, the low cg is exactly why I find Yamahas better handlers.

Rice, I would be tempted to go for a Shogun if my only other choice was an RX100. But I would take the RX because it is easy to maintain and chances are that I will be able to sell it later at a better price than a Shogun.
Old 22nd June 2005, 18:57   #45
BHPian

WHOA!! more confused than ever now! lol...newayz, this was really helpfull...n now mite also hunt for a KBZ
keep the reviews commin in...
thx a hell load for the posts...
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks