Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 21st June 2005, 11:54   #1
BHPian

suzuki shogun Vs yam rx 100(which one?)

h'lo... i'm really to take a plunge into the "2 wheeler" world....
been drvin a zen for pretty long now...n since fuel prices are redlining, lookin for a 2 wheeler...
gettin to the point.... i'v shortlisted a preowned shogun or an rx-100

which according to u is a more "fun to ride" bike?
i'll be happy with a FE figure of 30+.. is it poss on these 2 stroke bikes?

as i understand, the shogun is quicker as compared to the RX
i'm more inclined on a shogun..but u can try n talk me outta it...

As this is my 1st bike, is there anything in perticular i shud look out for while test riding these 2 strokers?

thx a lot ppl...
cheers
Old 21st June 2005, 12:03   #2
Senior - BHPian

That is a tricky question. I am a staunch Yamaha fan, but Shogun always have had a special corner in heart. If you want a fun to drive bike on highways or empty roads, Shogun is THE king. No other bike (including latest 4 strokes like Pulsars/Unicorn/CBZ) can give you that pleasure. It doesn't fire, it roars like a wild beast. Shogun's build quality is nothing great when compared with RX100 though. I am not so sure about spares since it was discontinued long back. So was RX, but they had successors of it.

If you are looking for excellent build quality, go ahead with RX. Nothing can go wrong with a well maintained RX100. Easy to service and spares are available everywhere.

And you HAVE to be happy with 30+ avg. because they won't give more than that

Last edited by RX135 : 21st June 2005 at 12:04.
Old 21st June 2005, 12:04   #3
v12
Distinguished - BHPian

Try getting your hand on the 16 bhp shogun. I guess there were just a few produced. It's quick and has disc and alloys too.
Old 21st June 2005, 12:06   #4
Senior - BHPian

I guess Yamaha gives you better FE than Shogan. Maintenance of Yamaha RX 100 is cheaper than Shogan.

Shogan looks cute with that front miror above headlight & looks sporty. One problem with Shogan and Samurai is that tail lamp set will get broken very often.

Of the two I would vote for Yamaha RX 100
Old 21st June 2005, 12:18   #5
BHPian

hey...thx for the super quick reply's....
@RX guess ur rite bout the spares...the shogun spares are gnna be a lil hard to find...

i'm gnna be test ridin a shogun thats for sale near by today...will see if its fallin apart or still holding strong...
i guess the RX is a safer bet...will look into the RX too...
if i do get myself a shogun..can the engine be rebuilt? i mean new rings etc...
i'v been quoted 10K for the shogun n bout 10-12K for a rx in "decent condition"
am willing to pay bout 15K for a bike+reconditioning

@V12 its tuff enuff finding a shogun...the 16 bhp one will be pretty tuff to find...lemme know if u have sumone in mind who's lookin to sell it...
Old 21st June 2005, 12:25   #6
BHPian

by the by, anything perticular u guys wud suggest i shud look for while testing the bikes? as in i know the basics like....exessive smoke and body rust...but anythin more?
Old 21st June 2005, 12:25   #7
BHPian

Shogun
Shogun
Shogun all the way...
Reliability over a long time ,yes RX is th echamp.But the power and sound of a shogun is worth it
artofzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st June 2005, 12:28   #8
BANNED

If you ever intend to ride long-distance, dump both these bikes and get yourself a new gen 4 stroke performance bike.

The older 2 stroke bikes are really good for thrills in the city and you can do really long distance trips on them as well but the noise and vibes at highway speeds (80+) will tire you more easily. Plus, remember, no 5th gear! If you still go ahead, the seating comfort (or the lack of it) will get you.

Of the 2 listed above, the RX100 has the better low end but in the mid-range and high-end, the Shogun rules. The Shogun was built with a specific purpose - beating the RX100 and therefore, things like reliability and build quality were not given much importance.

Handling wise, both are no great shakes (I own a KB, BTW) and high-speed stability is suspect in both. The Shogun has better electricals and instrumentation (and better tyres in stock trim).

Practically, finding a well-maintained Shogun is harder than finding a well-maintained RX100.

For hard and fast riding, expect no more than 30 - 35 kmpl in either. I really think you'd be better off with a new gen 4 stroke (rising fuel prices).

But if you're stuck on either of these, for sheer appeal, it has to be the Shogun. That "tingling scream will make the hair on your arms stand on end" as Sameer Kumar (ex) of BSM put it. Also, if you want exclusivity, the Shogun it is since all the RX models look similar.

hrag
Old 21st June 2005, 12:37   #9
BHPian

@Hrag.. that was really entertainin... newayz, aint lookin to do too much of highway riding at the moment...n besides, i'm 19!! lol...just saved enuff to get myself an old second hand 2 stroker...cant afford a newer 4 stroke bike at the moment...
guess i'd go in for a shogun only if its in pretty decent condition...altho i wud reeeaally luv a shogun..
the rx 100 makes more practical sense...
(still lost...i aint too much of a "practical" person)
Old 21st June 2005, 14:06   #10
BHPian

Rice

Shogun is the bike, I had been a owner for 2 shoguns in my life, belive me when i had the first one ! i enjoyed my teens in it and i was not able resists going for the second one again. Well i realy dont know about the spares now but i am sure you will be able to get here and there. Choose a bike which has not been damaged much or crashed once. cause the chasis is the most important in shogun... you should be able to get a good shogun for around 18-22K
Old 21st June 2005, 14:30   #11
bhp
BHPian

go for the shogun dude . it will give u that pleasure of power and speed which any other bike wont give u at that price .
Old 21st June 2005, 14:37   #12
BHPian

yea...thx ppl...the shogun seems to be a really coveted bike...pretty much set to get myself a shogun IFF its in decent condition...
Old 21st June 2005, 15:15   #13
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by v12
Try getting your hand on the 16 bhp shogun. I guess there were just a few produced. It's quick and has disc and alloys too.

I have never heard of any such model of the Shogun launched....does anyone amongst your close mates has one??? All I remember is that Suzuki with TVS was planning to launch and 18bhp engine of the Shogun but held back due to emission issues long back... Prior to the Shogun, Suzuki had a model named Supra which came out in 3 versions named as Supra (11bhp).... Supra S (13.5bhp) and Supra SS(16bhp with a high range expansion chamber and a 16" rear rim)... the bike looks similar to the present day Max 100...I know of only two owners of the 16bhp Supra and they are Shyam Kothari and another Spare part dealer here in Pune..! The bikes had amazing power outputs and was popular among dirt track racers as well as rally riders..!

The Supra can easily smoke a Shogun on any bands... but the Shogun still remains my favourite for the Megaphonic silencer >> the only bike in India to sport one!
Old 21st June 2005, 15:48   #14
Team-BHP Support

shogun by heart
rx by head

still have a 95 shogun with me , and i guess 16 bhp ones are those came out at the end of production with catcon, not sure though if it had 16 bhp
Old 21st June 2005, 15:53   #15
BHPian

Shogun is the bike for you mate....it didnt get the respect it should have got a while ago, but its only now that we are seeing the BEAUTY of that bike.
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks