Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th September 2009, 21:44   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Shashank - If you could please enlighten us on the technical reasons as to why the CI block is best kept around 70-85KMPH and just 5mins at 90KMPH?

One my good friend own an 04 RE Electra and he is a good rider. Due to his work scheds he often had to ride from one place to another in a hurry and he used to gun it down the DND expressway at 100/110KMPH(indicated) and the Bull has still not complained as yet. Its now ridden by his younger brother and its still fine till date.

AFAIK the only problem with the CI block was oil leakage which use to go up a little with constant high RPM running. Yes if someone is careless and does'nt check the oil level then results might be catastrophic(Read engine seizure).

Ofcourse, its a lot more pleasure riding the Bull at around 60KMPH with the constant "DUG..DUG..DUG..DUG" thump making music to the ears.
Hi is you wont mind Abhik let me answer this one. at the high speeds the heat builds fast and the engine is not able to work out the temperatures cause of the weak oil pumps or not so good oil flow.at speeds around 70-80 (real not indicated) the oil pump is able to feed enough for the engine to keep cool. where as at the higer speed higer temperatures it fails to do so and high temparature means Disaster.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shubhendra View Post
Hi Deep,
I am really amazed by your knowledge. I request you all other bullet enthusiasts to visit my thread and give me your valuable suggestions.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Oh sir thats your modesty sir, and this little bit knowledge is just cause of being with brothers like you. i am here to learn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
you remember speedo reading then? & which one- '77 Std or Electra seized?
I think Electra-5s' are under estimated reg their potential on better speeds & reliability.
hahaha thanks for remebering about the bikes Rennjit. it was the 77 standard. and the meter reading was 90 (I had those dumb smith replica meter. i had compared it with a Karizma meter while doing some runns with a friend and it had a error of almost or 10 KM on various stages i am not sure about the error on the Karizma). the Electra is real fun to run. it is with my best friend now. and would be painted into a Bullet 500 green soon.
Old 10th September 2009, 21:59   #32
BHPian

@rabnawaz : You mentioned the basic to be 72,780 : so how can the onroad price to be 82k ? I too bought the bull std 350 on 26th june this year for 74k onraod from haridwar with gas shocks..
Old 11th September 2009, 10:21   #33
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan2129 View Post
@rabnawaz : You mentioned the basic to be 72,780 : so how can the onroad price to be 82k ? I too bought the bull std 350 on 26th june this year for 74k onraod from haridwar with gas shocks..
Thats the price I got from 2 dealers in Bangalore. May be because the reason being RTO is quiet high in Karnataka.

My friend has a Bull Haryana registered and he too payed 70+ 2 years back. You guys should be lucky to pay less RTO.
Old 11th September 2009, 11:13   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhik View Post
Shashank - If you could please enlighten us on the technical reasons as to why the CI block is best kept around 70-85KMPH and just 5mins at 90KMPH?

One my good friend own an 04 RE Electra and he is a good rider. Due to his work scheds he often had to ride from one place to another in a hurry and he used to gun it down the DND expressway at 100/110KMPH(indicated) and the Bull has still not complained as yet. Its now ridden by his younger brother and its still fine till date..
Quote:
Originally Posted by lohithrao View Post
Shashank thats untrue, have done loads of rides and most of them about 80+ for a long time and there is no issues.
Well guys, as I have mentioned earlier that my technical knowledge is not much in this regard, and I am only sharing what i have read here and on other forums. However Desideep has given you the exact reason now.

Regarding riding CI, I have rode an Electra 4S like a mad man, me and a pillion (that means 200kg+), meter constantly buzzing around 100kmph for few hundred kilometers, no problems whatsoever.

However that does not mean thats the right way to ride it.
Old 11th September 2009, 12:48   #35
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Thats the price I got from 2 dealers in Bangalore. May be because the reason being RTO is quiet high in Karnataka.

My friend has a Bull Haryana registered and he too payed 70+ 2 years back. You guys should be lucky to pay less RTO.
:( its too bad.. more than 10k as registration seems a bit unfair to me.
Old 11th September 2009, 14:23   #36
BHPian

The Std350 is 85k on road in Pune! We bear the brunt of tax/octroi (as with the fuel prices)
Old 13th September 2009, 17:02   #37

Finally bought RE Bullet Electra 5S itself.

Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your inputs. Finally yesterday evening, I bought RE Bullet Electra 5S itself.

The bike was very well maintained, not even a single scratch on the tank. But few of the nuts and crash guard is rusted. And I found that electric start only works when the engine is warm. Is it normal or do I have to check the battery?? I had a pretty hard time starting the vehicle today morning from cold as I didn't had expertise on kick starting the bullet.

Any other thing I need to check??

Will post the pic of the vehicle tomorrow.

Regards
Bharath
Old 13th September 2009, 20:34   #38
BHPian

Congrats on your purchase and hope you two have a great time together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_rbk View Post
Hi Guys,

Thank you all for your inputs. Finally yesterday evening, I bought RE Bullet Electra 5S itself.

The bike was very well maintained, not even a single scratch on the tank. But few of the nuts and crash guard is rusted. And I found that electric start only works when the engine is warm. Is it normal or do I have to check the battery?? I had a pretty hard time starting the vehicle today morning from cold as I didn't had expertise on kick starting the bullet.

Any other thing I need to check??

Will post the pic of the vehicle tomorrow.

Regards
Bharath
Bingo! Facing the same problem since last few days. Mine still has a few days left of warranty so if there is some issue I can get it checked.
Old 13th September 2009, 20:51   #39
BHPian

Guys, welcome to the world of back kicks, Suffered two today for some reason my lady was not in the mood.

The bullet was never meant to be self started, it is a SISSY add on. my 2005 has it, never worked after the first few months. Now have given up trying ot make it work.

3 things will work you to frustration. The SPRAG CLUTCH, the Starter Motor and the Battery.

Check the battery and if it still has enough juice in it, then have the starter motor brushes cleaned up.

What does the symptoms show, does the starter motor run at all with a clunking sound.?. then looks like your plugs are fouled up.

Starting troubles are generally on account of fouled plugs, How many kicks are required to kick start a cold engine? (left overnight) not for days together.

Cheers!
Old 13th September 2009, 22:16   #40

Infact, I read in the Owner's manual not to start the engine by Electric Start from the cold. But, the electric start doesn't seem to crank the engine at all if left around 3 hours. It seems to be a problem then...

@shivshanker: From cold (overnight), it takes complete 3 cycle - I mean Decomp - Lock - PowerKick with choke ON. Is this the way???
Old 14th September 2009, 10:41   #41
BHPian

Hey bharath_rbk, congrats mate.
What price did you pay for your new Bull? Also, please let me know if you have any contacts where I can try a hand on second hand Electra?
Old 14th September 2009, 12:45   #42
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_rbk View Post
And I found that electric start only works when the engine is warm. Is it normal or do I have to check the battery?? I had a pretty hard time starting the vehicle today morning from cold
Do that often and say bye bye to the starter. Try kick starting the bike.

Quote:
as I didn't had expertise on kick starting the bullet.

Like the others said, you need some work to be done on the sprag clutch.

And oh welcome to the world of Bullets, you are on the road to self and biking enlightenment.
Old 14th September 2009, 16:12   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabnawaz_b View Post
Hey bharath_rbk, congrats mate.
What price did you pay for your new Bull? Also, please let me know if you have any contacts where I can try a hand on second hand Electra?
@rabnawaz_b: As the bike belonged to my brother's friend itself the deal was settled for 55k which I think is a steal. And.. I din't search in the market for an Electra, so no idea mate.

I have attached the bike pic... what do you think?? And even Engine's..
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S-14092009002.jpg  

Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S-14092009001.jpg  

Old 14th September 2009, 21:40   #44
BHPian

congrats mate. very nice looking electra. ITs even with the original stock silencer of Std. or maybe electra also comes with this ?
Old 14th September 2009, 21:55   #45
Senior - BHPian

Try to get the Cat con removed and replace the Exaust for a better thump and better reving engine. though to be true i love the sound made by this exaust

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks