Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th September 2009, 20:10   #1

Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S

Hi,

This is my first post in TBHP and boy!! what a way to begin..

I am in a dilemma for deciding a RE. I am having a Yamaha RXZ 5 speed (2002) all these days and now I have decided to sell it as I getting old enough for that bike and don't so much enthu to maintain it.

As an upgrade I have decided to go for Bullet as it was on my wish-list for quite some time now.. I wanted to go for a second hand as I don't wish to spend a lakh on a bike which will be used for around 50kms in a week and a tour rarely.

I have 2 options now..
1) Bullet Machismo - 350CC - 2005 model - 21K kms done - Expected price around 55K
2) Bullet Electra 5S - 350CC - 2007 model - 23K kms done - Expected price around 65K

I need your suggestions considering the below points

==> I am new to Bullet world, and don't have any idea on the feel or pleasure, thou I have driven a Machismo 500 for mere 100kms
==> I don't know much about the technology involved in both
==> As the bike will be sparingly used, how about the maintenance??
==> Do you think the above quoted price is a good deal in Bangalore??
==> And any other info I need to make sure before buying??

Awaiting your inputs..

Cheers
Bharath
Old 8th September 2009, 21:48   #2
BHPian

I'm not an expert but those prices seem on the higher side to me. Have you already tried bargaining?
Old 8th September 2009, 21:53   #3

As I am not sure of which one should I go for.. I haven't discussed on pricing yet, but both of them are from known persons and not from dealers.
Old 8th September 2009, 22:27   #4
Senior - BHPian

Bharath,
One more guy bitten by Bullet Bug. Vehicle you have mentioned have different engines.
1. Machismo 350 cc is AVL engine designed by AVL Austria. It is more modern engine but it lacks in sound. It is not that smooth as compared to Leanburn engine which Electra has. But Its Machismo........... it has more meaner look than Electra.

2. Electra 5S: It has traditional leanburn engine which is quieter than Machismol. and yes it has good thump. I suggest you to go Electra although i own Machismo,98.
A. Good Thump.
B. Quieter Engine.
C. 5 Gears and right side brakes on traditional engine, its a good thing as till now you were driving right sided brake bikes.
D. If this 5S is Self Start then its very good and then it would have Disc Brake also (Very essential)

But prices you have mentioned is on higher side, you can get very good Bullets under 50,000 bracket. Have Patience and I am sure you will get good one.

Regards,
Shubhendra Singh
Old 8th September 2009, 22:46   #5
BHPian

Hey Bharath,

First things first, Welcome to Team-BHP,

Getting down to business,

You can get a brand new 350 for around 85K, since now RD's are not longer avble and all old Vintage Bikes have been taken up, people are quoting prices through the roof for the Bullets.

Any old Bullet or for that matter of fact even new ones will take up your share of visits to the workshop. You need to get your hands and your shin burned a few times and standed multiple times. Only then will you truly enjoy the beast.

Jokes apart, if it is for pure m/cycle riding pleassure, then if you can stretch till 65, my suggestion is take the needle to 85K and buy a new one. Registeration/Transfer + Insurance might cost u more.

Else, bide for your time as a good 2000 -2002 model should be able to get it for 35K not more IMO.

65K for a used bullet is much on the higher side of the price.

Cheers!
Old 8th September 2009, 23:11   #6
BHPian

i recently bought a STD 350 new from brand store @ 74k ( with gas shocks) ( the local dealer quoted me 76k ) ( haridwar brand store gave me in 74k)
Old 9th September 2009, 00:08   #7

I would like to thank for your valuable inputs.

As I mentioned, I am not willing to go for a new one and that too spend around 85K for Bullet Std... But also, I am finding it difficult to find a well maintained bike around 35-40k, and these are the prices directly from the owners and if I contact any dealers, they quote even more fancy prices.

So.. few more clarifications reqd. about the bikes I mentioned..

Machismo 350 - With Disc, ES and right side brake
Electra S - Also with Disc, ES and right side brake

==>Machismo 350:- Apart from the thump and feel any known issues??
==>Any noteable power difference btw these two and ride quality??

Thanks
Bharath
Old 9th September 2009, 10:32   #8
BANNED

Why are they selling the bikes? For a Bullet you need to know the owner too. If he is the sort who is used to fill it, shut it, forget it mode then the bike will be abused. They get frustrated over time and sell the bikes.

The prices are way too steep.
Old 9th September 2009, 10:52   #9

The bikes are pretty well maintained and they are selling bcoz as don't use it rather quite often and they are commuting by car and these are bought when they are bachelors and now with families dont find necessity using this vehicle.

N. please answer my previous query

Old 9th September 2009, 13:26   #10
BHPian

Save money

hi !
Electra 5s has 32nm torque @ 5000 RPM & machismo has 27.5nm @ 5000 apart from that Machismo has a slightly bigger rear tyre.. Electra is a bit higher seated than Machismo. There is a difference in Carb.

Electra 5s is the better choice IMO .

But bullet gurus may differ !
Old 9th September 2009, 21:15   #11
BHPian

edit :(electra 5s) its 32nm @ 3000 rpm & ( Machismo ) 27.5 nm @ 3500 rpm
Old 9th September 2009, 23:09   #12
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharath_rbk View Post
The bikes are pretty well maintained and they are selling bcoz as don't use it rather quite often and they are commuting by car and these are bought when they are bachelors and now with families dont find necessity using this vehicle.

N. please answer my previous query

Go machismo way cause it will attract less maintainance, better millage, normal world gears, good oil pump less chances of the siezures, over all a good bike.

i ride a standard 1977.

AVL's have a better engine life. but both could be demanding when it comes to the maintainance.

As mentioned by SHAN2129 the electra has more torque but you may not notice it. just take a test ride and decide

the prices seem to be steep.
Old 10th September 2009, 00:00   #13
BHPian

I agree with Deep. He is an expert anyways!
Old 10th September 2009, 00:25   #14

@WanderNomad: I understand you own a Electra 5S from ur signature. Please let me know your ownership experience. It will be helpful for me.

Till now.. what I have understood is, the real Bullet doesn't exist anymore and if I go for any of the current models there are pros and cons for each ones....
Old 10th September 2009, 03:02   #15
Senior - BHPian

The real bullet still exists. its just what you feel. like for me a real bullet is a standard. but some of them would say that even the Machismo is a bullet. so i agree with and respect their views.

The only difference i find on the Electra 5s is more easy to ride (If you are not used to the right side gear shift), But i feel that the real feel is in the right side shifter. baki i beleive in the OLDER bullets with the so called heavy crank and the crank case. i like them cause if you dont like 350 you can bore it to 500 and the whole setup works amazingly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderNomad View Post
I agree with Deep. He is an expert anyways!
Thats your modesty i am just a learner

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks