Team-BHP > Motorbikes
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th July 2015, 21:46   #76
BHPian

Re: Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S

Quote:
Originally Posted by navin_v8 View Post
Can you post some pics of your gearbox as I can see the gear shifter lever on the left side in your earlier posted pics. The presence of hole in the clutch cover might indicate that this motorcycle has indeed undergone a gearbox change from 5 speed to 4 speed.
Thanks for the guidance but tell me, why did u say u suspected? Do you think the previous owner has taken off the electric starter and the front disc brake? And if the electric starter is installed in a bike, it has a different design of clutch cover on the left. So that might have got changed too. In that case, the hole on the clutch cover is not understood. Anyways, no more brain storming. Sending the pic of gearbox. Pl let know what u think

Mod Note : Slang and SMS Language are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP. Please type in full and proper English for the benefit of other community members.

e.g please type 'You' instead of 'u' and 'please' instead of 'pl' or 'pls'

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th July 2015 at 23:44. Reason: Please read the Mod note in your post, also quote selectively, thanks
Old 7th July 2015, 09:56   #77
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviator1101 View Post
Thanks for the guidance but tell me, why did u say u suspected?
aviator1101 mate I suspected as the RE Electra in pics shared by you had no front disc brake and electric starter. You mentioned it is a 2008 model and as far as I know those models used to come with a front disc brake and a rear gas shock absorber(your bike has a rear gas shock absorber though). Electric starter may or may not be present as it might have been offered as an option. The gearshifter mechanism of the 4 speed transmission and 5 speed transmission is also different. I mean the pattern of shifting in 4 speed is one up and three down whereas in 5 speed it is one down and four up with heel shifter as well. Scrouging throug old articles on these motorcycles is a task in itself mate, that is if you don't come across some RE veteran. Here's a link which gives a detailed review on RE Electra with some close up pics of the electric starter location and the 5 speed gearbox. http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.in/200...lectra-5s.html

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Technocrat : 7th July 2015 at 23:42. Reason: Please quote selectively as a large quoted post causes inconvenience to our mobile readers, thanks
Old 12th July 2015, 22:04   #78
BHPian

Now that the Red Bull is here to stay, decided to go in for some more additions :-
1. Rear seat grab rail cum back rest from Bullet 500
2. Front shocker rubber cover like the ones which used to come with Machismo
3. Front chrome crown plate
4. Front retro style number plate
5. Chrome rear view mirrors
6. Rubber thigh pads
Posting a picture. Please let know how it looks.
Old 20th July 2015, 01:15   #79
BHPian

Was unable to post photos of my Red Bull due to some problems in the net. Trying once again to post a few of them. Let know what you think of them. Any more suggestions for improvement are also welcome
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S-img_0902.jpg  

Old 20th July 2015, 07:39   #80
BHPian

Quote:
Any more suggestions for improvement are also welcome
Ditch the alloys, get spokes

Looks in great nick otherwise, congrats on your purchase!
B O V is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2015, 21:40   #81
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B O V View Post
Ditch the alloys, get spokes

Looks in great nick otherwise, congrats on your purchase!
Thanks for the compliment. I just happened to have this doubt. Is it possible to fit the rear disc brakes of the new Thunderbird in the electra? Also will changing from the present drum brake set up to front disc brake entail changing the front shockers? Or is it possible to fit disc brake callipers on the existing shockers? If possible help with some picture of similar modification.
Old 20th July 2015, 23:44   #82
BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to fit the rear disc brakes of the new Thunderbird in the electra?
I'm not aware on how to carry out the rear disc brake retro fit onto the other enfields, however as with all things mechanical there is a way. Ask a good mechanic, he'd probably help you out. My guess is that you'd have to get an 18 inch rim and associated fittings from the tb for the rear.

As for the front disc set up, its easy enough. Get whichever discbrake assembly comes with the newer enfields and buy the corresponding rim and spokes combination and you'll be good to go. No change in front shockers required.

Should cost in the neighbourhood of 5-8k, I think they use bybre disc/caliper setup's.

Last edited by B O V : 20th July 2015 at 23:48.
Old 20th July 2015, 23:46   #83
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
There were CDI Units that were sold back then as kits by RE. In those cases probably the clutch cover were replaced.(just a guess)
You are spot on with the clutch cover replacement bro. (check the pic of my bullet in view my garage)

I had done this conversion from points to CDI which costed me around 7000 back in 2008. My clutch cover was indeed replaced with the round one which I personally hated as it ruined the vintage look of my bike.

Quote:
As for the front disc set up, its easy enough. Get whichever discbrake assembly comes with the newer enfields and buy the corresponding rim and spokes combination and you'll be good to go. No change in front shockers required.

Should cost in the neighbourhood of 5-8k, I think they use bybre disc/caliper setup's.
The ones on the Continental GT are far superior to the ones on the other RE's. The GT has 300mm Discs whereas the other lineup has 280mm

Quote:
Is it possible to fit the rear disc brakes of the new Thunderbird in the electra? Also will changing from the present drum brake set up to front disc brake entail changing the front shockers? Or is it possible to fit disc brake callipers on the existing shockers?
Yes it is possible, you own a bullet bro wherein everything is possible.

As I said try to source the Continental GT's discs they are really great. Since this will be a one time modification / up-gradation don't settle for cheaper options.

You will have to change the front fork legs for the disc caliper mounting. The front mudguard will also be needed to change as the mountings of your current mudguard wouldn't match to the new fork.

Also note that the Classic's forks, GT's forks, Thunderbird forks and the STD 500's forks are all different. Great Guide in differentiating Royal Enfield Models

Last edited by Eddy : 21st July 2015 at 08:47. Reason: Merged
Old 21st July 2015, 01:18   #84
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great View Post
You will have to change the front fork legs for the disc caliper mounting. The front mudguard will also be needed to change as the mountings of your current mudguard wouldn't match to the new fork.
Oh yeah forgot this was an Electra, had in mind the old cast irons which had the same mounting points hence didnt need the fork change.

Last edited by B O V : 21st July 2015 at 01:19.
Old 21st July 2015, 07:29   #85
BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I just happened to have this doubt. Is it possible to fit the rear disc brakes of the new Thunderbird in the electra? Also will changing from the present drum brake set up to front disc brake entail changing the front shockers? Or is it possible to fit disc brake callipers on the existing shockers? If possible help with some picture of similar modification.
Fixing rear disc from Tb would involve too much work i guess, alternately have a look at retrofit kits based on pulsar front disc offered by some delhi traders. Btw, are you finding the rear brake ineffective? b'coz if its setup good, drum can lock the wheel.

You would not have to change fork sliders as the mount is already there. Have to drill a bolting hole & also drum brake plate's positioning tab inside of the fork may have to cut down if it fouls the disc. I'd say get the front disc first, ride some and then see if you still need the rear one. cheers.,
Old 21st July 2015, 09:56   #86
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennjit View Post
Fixing rear disc from Tb would involve too much work i guess, alternately have a look at retrofit kits based on pulsar front disc offered by some delhi traders. Btw, are you finding the rear brake ineffective?
There is no problem as such with the present alloy/ drum combination. But since changing to spokes for an additional dose of chrome is on the cards, might as well do some additional mods

You would not have to change fork sliders as the mount is already there. Have to drill a bolting hole & also drum brake plate's positioning tab inside of the fork may have to cut down if it fouls the disc. I'd say get the front disc first, ride some and then see if you still need the rear one. cheers.,
Of what I've noticed after comparing my colleague's desert storm and Thunderbird with my Electra, the shocker length is almost identical. However, the mount for the disc callipers is a different one from the one existing on my shocker. Can u elaborate with some pics?
Quote:
Oh yeah forgot this was an Electra, had in mind the old cast irons which had the same mounting points hence didnt need the fork change.
Slightly confused with your statement. Does it involve a fork change also or are you referring to only the shocker change?
Old 21st July 2015, 10:25   #87
BHPian

Quote:
Slightly confused with your statement. Does it involve a fork change also or are you referring to only the shocker change?
Picture 1

Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S-frontguard.jpg

This is how the regular forks with twin leading shoes as found on many enfields look, take a close look at the mounting points of the mudguard stays and compare that with the mounting points in picture 2.

Picture 2

If you look at where the disc brake assembly is mounted in comparision with that of the mounting points in picture 1 it should be clear.
Attached Thumbnails
Need Help (deciding Second Hand) RE Bullet Machismo 350 or Electra 5S-images-2.jpg  

Old 21st July 2015, 11:08   #88
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the compliment. I just happened to have this doubt. Is it possible to fit the rear disc brakes of the new Thunderbird in the electra?
It can be done but as others have elaborated it will take some modifications to be done at a heavy cost. I have been riding RE's for ages and feel that the rear drum brake is powerful enough to slow down the motorcycle. At the end of the day it is your call.

Quote:
Also will changing from the present drum brake set up to front disc brake entail changing the front shockers? Or is it possible to fit disc brake callipers on the existing shockers? If possible help with some picture of similar modification.
As I told you earlier about your Electra is being modified by the previous owner to bring it as close to a Standard with respect to retrofitting the 4 speed transmission and fitting front drum brakes. You mentioned that your Electra is a 2008 model and as far as I know Electra models from 2004 came with factory fitted disc brake. Your Electra shares the same offset fork setup as the AVL Thunderbird and the AVL Machismo which too came with a disc setup upfront. Fitting a front disc on your existing fork is possible with minimal modifications wherein you will need to buy the disc brake kit, wheel hub, spokes, etc. I have carried out this mod but don't have the pictures.

Last edited by navin_v8 : 21st July 2015 at 11:09.
Old 21st July 2015, 11:58   #89
Senior - BHPian

I suppose the disc brake was removed to accommodate the alloy wheels which is better if reverted to spokes like BOV mentioned. Will change the overall look for the bike for the better.

Rear disc retro fitting would be a waste of money in my opinion .Neither does this bike require it and nor will it be effective like in other rear disc brake equipped bikes.

For the front discs,the earlier models were Pricol make and were also sold as kits.I guess now it is Bybre and Brembo for the GT.Go for the Brembo if it can be fitted.
Old 22nd July 2015, 08:09   #90
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tharian View Post
Rear disc retro fitting would be a waste of money in my opinion .Neither does this bike require it and nor will it be effective like in other rear disc brake equipped bikes.

For the front discs,the earlier models were Pricol make and were also sold as kits.I guess now it is Bybre and Brembo for the GT.Go for the Brembo if it can be fitted.
I'm getting the original steel rims with spokes as the chrome content will increase that way. There is a spare parts dealer in Karol Bagh, Delhi who has new Bullet Standard OEM rims which people change for alloys. He's providing the set of rims for 1580/-
Also going in for drum brake set up both ends as Bybre disc brake kit is available but the calliper will not fit onto the present shockers. I guess drum brakes aren't that bad. After all RE had been doing well with them till few years back when it started offering front discs on all models.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks