Team-BHP - All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/69164-all-about-exhausts-mufflers-silencers-re-bullets-10.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletboy76 (Post 2936958)
Hi Pheonix,

I am not expert in silencers, but to the best of my knowledge Indore and Short bottle silencers are one and the same thing.

Actually the Indore silencer is also called as chotti dholki as they tried to mimic the sound of older bullets unencumbered with noise/fuel average restrictions and those older bullets came with short bottles.

The Indori twist was to tweak the silencers more towards "bassyness" and to make it sound like older heavy crank cast iron bullets.

I personally tried 5-6 Indore silencers on my 04 Bullet Electra as they all created different sounds - the explanation given to me was the state of tune of engine.

I picked up the best sound that I could hear that time and surprisingly it also performed pretty well on my bike. But really, I am not sure if there is anything such as a Indore Silencer 'signature' sound - its all whims and fancies of various mechanics.

I just installed the Sans Inc Glasswool Short Bottle yesterday on my C350 and then went on a 120 long ride. I didn't notice at first but there are missing beats in the sound when the bike is idling. What could be the reason for this? Is this because the silencer is new? Will this fade away with time? Or do I need to get my motorcycle checked by an experienced mechanic? Please advice.

In my opinion the silencer has very little effect on an engine at idle speed.
Very restrictive or wide open designs just don't change what happens inside the engine at very slow RPM.

My guess would be that perhaps the engine has been having occasional mis-fire's for some time and you just didn't notice them?

The first thing I would do would be to replace the spark plug with a new one.
I would also check to make sure the high voltage lead to the spark plug was firmly attached to the spark plug cap and to the ignition coil.

Using a very fine sandpaper grit, lightly rubbing it between the ignition points, assuming it has them, will remove any oxidation that has formed there. If you do this, run a clean piece of cloth thru the point gap to remove any debris that was left by the sanding.
Also, add one tiny drop of oil on the ignition points pivot to assure that the ignition points aren't hanging up. Do not get any oil on the electrical contacts while you are doing this.

While looking at the ignition points, a VERY LIGHT coat of a high temperature grease on the points cam lobe will prevent wear of the fiber rub block that rides on the cam.
That can prevent problems later on.

Again, assuming the bike has ignition points, now would be a good time to check the gap. This gap is usually around 0.4mm.

If these seem to be in order, perhaps a slight adjustment of the idle fuel/air ratio needle on the carb is needed.

Hi, I haven't had the time to read this thread completely, but since it mentions "All about Exhausts for RE", I thought I'd put in my two cents- After having owned two UCE 500s ( The teal Green one before and now the Chrome-black one) and installing the Company provided upswept silencer both times, I've reverted back to the long Bazooka silencer that came as o.e.

Now I'm convinced without a doubt that apart from the exhaust thump sounding muffled, for the Fuel Injected 500 models, the long o.e silencer is the Best when it comes to pulling power, acceleration and smoothness.

There's a world of difference in the performance of the bike, which you only notice when U are really going fast or are in mountain roads where the torque comes into play big time... The Upswept silencer is much louder sounding, thereby fooling a lot of owners into thinking that the bike's going faster.. It does sound much better but the actual performance goes down quite a bit and it's much harsher at higher rpms. Top speeds and pulling power in each gear also comes down quite a bit.... i think it's coz the F.I is tuned with the Long Bazooka in mind.

Also the upswept silencer makes the bike really misfire (Loud Farts!) when the throttle is closed on downhills....

All these issues manifest itself more in the hills and higher altitudes..

The 350s with the carburettor shouldn't have these problems, but I'm not sure.

Cheers.

Replaced the stock exhaust with RE short bottle exhaust. I haven't had a chance to test it on a long ride yet but the results so far are pleasing. The exhaust note isn't very loud, which I prefer, but is much better than stock's note. Also, haven't noticed any drop in performance so far. A long ride is planned in mid Jan. Keeping my fingers crossed.

My upswept broke from the point where the bottle starts. Was running on the stock silencer for quite some time now so decided to shake it up a bit and got the Megaphone from Sans Inc. Still trying to get used to the other end of the sound spectrum. :D
There is barely any sound (much like the stock) with a closed throttle, however open the throttle and it magic. For the time being its like music to my ears.

> my CL500 now manages to hit 5th at 50kph.(never managed that with stock or the upswept)
> No other visible performance upgrade.
> Once a while there would be a backfire boom.(not too often though)
> I think its quite a looker and awfully light too.
> I feel somewhat in control of the sound, cruising is not too loud.
> The mechanical noise of the wind rushing in upon rapidly closing the throttle it just too brilliant to neglect.
> yet to check the effect on mileage.

Just installed the Glasswool Silencer today from Sans Classic Parts and I simply can't stop raving about it!!! More so because I upgraded myself from an Indori Silencer, which I was using for the last 6 months. The difference is huge to say the least. Refinement is simply unmatchable.

My first attempt towards changing the silencer for my Classic 350 (like most of us do) was to check with my mechanic and spend my money based on what he thought is best (rather than checking online or doing some research myself). Based on his recommendation, I installed the Indori Silencer. After installing it, I always felt there was something missing. The initial treble at lower RPM's upto the third gear was definitely noteworthy. However, after crossing the 60 kmph mark (4th to 5th gear), the treble used to simply taper out, and get back to its conventional UCE sound. It also lacked the thump I was craving to have on my bull. To put it simply, the entire exercise of spending time and money on changing the silencer felt futile.

After doing some research online (thanks to this forum), I actually came across several users of the Glasswool / Goldstar silencers. I then contacted Saurabh, who inturn helped me with his youtube link to actually get a look and feel of his entire product range.This is what I felt was a perfect sales pitch from his side - Know the product range, understand the features/benefits and then take your pick. At no point was he extra pushy in anyway. I first finalized the Monster Exhaust. Paid up the money through e-bay (Rs. 1400 incl. shipping) and as promised, received the exhaust in 2 days flat. After receiving the package, I was all excited to get it fitted. I actually bunked office and headed to my mechanic to get it fitted stupid: To my disdain, I realized that the bent pipe fitted on my Classic 350 was that of the TBTS!!! Its true - I purchased my Classic 350 in March 2010, so it was clearly amongst the first lot. As a result, the Monster Exhaust was short to fit on the bent pipe by 4 mm.

After consulting Saurabh and making him speak to my mech, I was left with no choice, but to ship it back. As the consignment was on its way back, I again browsed through the videos on youtube (just to take a second look and reassure myself of the choice I made). But this time my heart went out for the Glasswool. Confused again I called my savior - Saurabh Katar. Took his feedback and he mentioned the differences between the Monster and the Glasswool.

The basic difference between the Monster Exhaust & Glasswool is nothing but a clear preference between treble vs. bass. After burning my fingers once, I was clear this time to go for an exhaust which gave me a soul thumping bass and nothing less!!! Saurabh assured me that the Glasswool will do the job. In terms of performance & mileage, both the exhausts offered the same so it was easy to take a call and finalize my purchase. Fingers crossed, I shelled out the additional money (Rs. 700 totaling to now Rs. 2200) for the Glasswool and finally hit the button. The consignment reached as promised. However, what I was about to witness soon was a scene straight out of a Manmohan Desai film. And you guys have already guessed it by now - My exhaust was swapped with another customer based in Ahmedabad!!! Saurabh was cooperative enough to be very candid and open about it and even assured me to refund me the shipping money this time, since it was a clear packaging mistake done by his 'new' staff. After another week of patient wait, the exhaust finally arrived yesterday. Since I was on leave from work, there couldn't be a better time then get it fitted today. With a bated breath I finally reached my mech's garage and the work started. Some minor adjustments and welding work had to be carried out, but no sweat at all. The final product after all was the real icing on the cake. 'Dug Dug Dug' sound from my bull and my exhilaration knew no limitsclap: It was as if my bullet was reincarnated. The thump is simply spectacular.

A very special thanks to Saurabh Katar who stood by me like the rock of Gibraltar. Of all the vendors related to riding I've come across till date (be it bikes, parts, riding gear or after sales service), he has been by far the most warm, friendly,humble and a thorough professional.

Kudos to Saurabh and his entire team at Sans Classic who work hard to provide what aspiring bikers look for. You guys simply rock.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Post Edited. Smilie usage is restricted to two per post on Team-BHP. Please refrain from using excessive smilies.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Congrats and Nice review on the Glasswool from Sans. !

My 2 cents - I recently got an indore installed on my 350 UCE the thump is quite noticeble from the short bottle provided by RE( it was nothing but a short bottle thats it !!!!! ) but still some part of my heart says itsnt enough.Surprisingly there was an increase in mileage by 3-4kmpl and though the initial tourque lags a bit the high end torque comes in quickly. Its easier to reach from 70 to 100 than before.There have also not been any effects on the engine as well.

I would appreciate if you could provide a run-in experience of your silencer wrt mileage,pickup, effect on highend/lowend torques etc . This will help me decide to go for my next change .

Happy thumping
Sunny

Many thanks for your feedback.

With regards to the Indore Silencer, the main issue is to come across a genuine one. A lot of mechanics actually sell a silencer branding it as the Indore Silencer without knowing the nitty gritty. Can't blame them because thats the exposure they have. With the new Glasswool Silencer, it's been done only yesterday. I'll surely keep you posted on its performance. I'm not a tech geek, so may not be able to answer your questions to the finest detail:), but I'll surely do my best
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pheonix (Post 3073562)
Congrats and Nice review on the Glasswool from Sans. !

My 2 cents - I recently got an indore installed on my 350 UCE the thump is quite noticeble from the short bottle provided by RE( it was nothing but a short bottle thats it !!!!! ) but still some part of my heart says itsnt enough.Surprisingly there was an increase in mileage by 3-4kmpl and though the initial tourque lags a bit the high end torque comes in quickly. Its easier to reach from 70 to 100 than before.There have also not been any effects on the engine as well.

I would appreciate if you could provide a run-in experience of your silencer wrt mileage,pickup, effect on highend/lowend torques etc . This will help me decide to go for my next change .

Happy thumping
Sunny

Hey guys a piece of info: RE now sells freer flowing short bottle exhausts for UCE which shares its internals with the upswept OEM exhaust. Hence produces the same exhaust note as the upswept one and is priced at Rs. 1905. Goldstar with glasswool had a better thump but I sticked to it since my Bull was still in running in and I thought it was better to go with the OEM at this time. Its far far better than the stock exhaust both in terms of thump and refinement. Engine feels smoother now. Pics attached:

Hi Abhishek,

Is that really RE manufactured one? The 3rd picture shows some sticket with name 'Hema equipment industries limited'. Is this completely free flow? I mean with no glass wool?

Cheers and happy thumping!

Quote:

Originally Posted by abhishek24x (Post 3104576)
Hey guys a piece of info: RE now sells freer flowing short bottle exhausts for UCE which shares its internals with the upswept OEM exhaust.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bulletboy76 (Post 3104778)

Is that really RE manufactured one? The 3rd picture shows some sticket with name 'Hema equipment industries limited'. Is this completely free flow? I mean with no glass wool?!

REM does not actually manufacture them. They are made by a third party and sent to REM who chrome plates it and sells them under their name.

When I visited the factory back in 2009 is when REM had a dedicated building for chrome plating since the quality of plating from the vendor was not upto the mark and they decided to do it themselves.
That is when I noticed short bottle exhausts as well which no new bikes came with(Classic had not been launched in India)and when enquired , they mentioned REM was loosing out to aftermarket Enfield exhaust manufacturers, so they decided to sell it as well as an aftermarket option.
Not sure if it is the same story now.

It is a 'freer' flowing pipe compared to stock and not fully free flow as OEM will not sell free flow pipes.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian
... Not sure if it is the same story now. ... .

Not at-least in this case, this one here is fully outsourced piece except for packing. However since it comes with a part no hopefully, it should be as good as a factory made one.

@abhishek24x, just curious- what does the description on the pack's label read?

Mod Note : Using Team-BHP to promote vested and commercial interests is STRICTLY prohibited. Do refrain from marketing your goods / services on this board.

We advise you to read the
Forum Rules before proceeding any further, and to prevent your account from being permanently disabled.

Can somebody recommend a good silencer for Electra (2005 CI model)?