Team-BHP - All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/69164-all-about-exhausts-mufflers-silencers-re-bullets-11.html)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Abeer (Post 3123808)
Can somebody recommend a good silencer for Electra (2005 CI model)?

Hi Abeer,

"Good" Silencer is pretty hard to be classified. But yes having a CI model you have more pleasing options than for a UCE as far as my experience goes.

1. Decent Old Bullet like thump : Decent thump with "Dug Dug" sounds you will love while cruising on highways.Indore or Choti Dholki as they are called. Ranging from 1000-1500 bucks . Not known to cause any problems to engine.

2.Goldie /Glaswools : Give a deep bassy thump esp with CI engines , might cough your engine a bit , so get your carb rejetted . rs 1100 - 1800 . Chck out the web there are people/websites who can offer the goldie silencers.

Hi Guys

So it's been less a little than a month that I have finally got my TBTS 350. It's been a long 9 month waiting for me and the after I got my baby, it's all worth it.

So a little neglibigle rear brake issue aside, the bike is running fine. Now let me come to the exhaust part, many of you will agree that the stock exhaust of the new Thunderbird is weird and uninspiring. Its really long, ugly and I believe produces the least thump among all the Royal Enfields.

By now you must have realized I am looking to change the exhaust, but here is my confusion. Is it okay to put like any exhaust like the hollow ones that produces a lot of thump, or is there some kind of protocol to follow when it comes to putting a non-stock exhaust.

Personally the hollow ones that are really popular nowadays don't excite me much because though it's loud, it doesn't pack the heavy punch am looking in an Enfield. I like the glasswool ones (one is called megaphone) as they are louder and has a heavier base.

Is it okay to get qa hollow one? Is glasswool better? Is it too soon to change the exhaust altogether? I am really confused. :Frustrati

Seeking help and some expert opinion guys, please abide! :)

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarneil (Post 3253412)
Personally the hollow ones that are really popular nowadays don't excite me much because though it's loud, it doesn't pack the heavy punch am looking in an Enfield. I like the glasswool ones (one is called megaphone) as they are louder and has a heavier base.

Is it okay to get qa hollow one? Is glasswool better? Is it too soon to change the exhaust altogether? I am really confused. :Frustrati
Thanks.

Hi,

As far as my knowledge goes, sound (heavy/bassy/loud) is a byproduct of a silencer's performance, so do not go by it. Enfield owners are very rarely cheap show-offs who would just like a loud bike over a well performing one, and I am guessing you also belong to that sane class.

There is a brand named Indori which lowers the exhaust sound a bit but I have heard that the performance is good (source: a friend who is a bullet owner).

But frankly, if you have got the bike for a month or so, it is early to change the exhaust. Let the bike open up first, complete the run-in period, let it stay stock for at least 6-8K kms.

In the end, it's you call. Happy thumping! :)

Quote:

Originally Posted by sagarneil (Post 3253412)
Hi Guys

So it's been less a little than a month that I have finally got my TBTS 350. It's been a long 9 month waiting for me and the after I got my baby, it's all worth it.

Seeking help and some expert opinion guys, please abide! :)

Thanks.

The following thread should help you,

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...ullets-11.html

Regards

Quote:

Originally Posted by cr4nkshaft (Post 3253661)
Hi,

As far as my knowledge goes, sound (heavy/bassy/loud) is a byproduct of a silencer's performance, so do not go by it. Enfield owners are very rarely cheap show-offs who would just like a loud bike over a well performing one, and I am guessing you also belong to that sane class.

There is a brand named Indori which lowers the exhaust sound a bit but I have heard that the performance is good (source: a friend who is a bullet owner).

But frankly, if you have got the bike for a month or so, it is early to change the exhaust. Let the bike open up first, complete the run-in period, let it stay stock for at least 6-8K kms.

In the end, it's you call. Happy thumping! :)

Hey thanks for the input! You are right, I am not looking for a cheap hollow cracking thump, I need a notch louder and a heavier thump. I'll follow your advice for the run-in period thing, that makes sense. :)

I just rode a fellow bulleteers 2 year old classic500. And it was performing much better than my 2 month old desert storm. Only difference was a wildboar exhaust.

I have been shying away from changing my stock exhaust because i have read that changing the stock exhaust will require ECU remapping. That sounded complicated and required expert attention.

So my question is, can i just throw on a free flow exhaust (like the wild boar) and expect better overall performance without tweaking the ECU? Any long term problems?

Quote:

Originally Posted by jundi (Post 3366512)
I just rode a fellow bulleteers 2 year old classic500. And it was performing much better than my 2 month old desert storm. Only difference was a wildboar exhaust.

I have been shying away from changing my stock exhaust because i have read that changing the stock exhaust will require ECU remapping. That sounded complicated and required expert attention.

So my question is, can i just throw on a free flow exhaust (like the wild boar) and expect better overall performance without tweaking the ECU? Any long term problems?

The main reason his bike performs better is because his engine has run more and set in. Guessing he has run least 15k over two years. The exhaust would have just added to that.
Its not that with the stock exhaust the performance is restricted . It will perform as well, as your add kms.
A free flow exhaust is more of sound for most riders, but It also lets the engine breathe and helps in a smooth ride when your engine is in high revs which hardly does.

Quote:

Originally Posted by tharian (Post 3366704)
The main reason his bike performs better is because his engine has run more and set in. Guessing he has run least 15k over two years. The exhaust would have just added to that.
Its not that with the stock exhaust the performance is restricted . It will perform as well, as your add kms.
A free flow exhaust is more of sound for most riders, but It also lets the engine breathe and helps in a smooth ride when your engine is in high revs which hardly does.

Thanks a lot for your thoughts.

The thump is too addictive, i cant get enough of it. Changing to a WildBoar silencer (with wool) next week, without tweaking the ECU. Will let you know how it performs.

I have run 6500km+ since I got the 3 months back and I generally ride at 60-70kmph.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jundi (Post 3392680)

The thump is too addictive, i cant get enough of it. Changing to a WildBoar silencer (with wool) next week, without tweaking the ECU. Will let you know how it performs.

I have run 6500km+ since I got the 3 months back and I generally ride at 60-70kmph.

Have a look at this thread too, #295

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorb...lencer-20.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by jundi (Post 3392680)

Hi. Almost a month since you mentioned you will be changing your silencer. Curious to know what the outcome was. Please do share your experience. If I am not asking for more, a Youtube video with the new silencer in action would be wonderful. Thanks!

I am planning to replace the stock silencer on my chrome 500 with monster glasswool from san classic parts. Has any body tried this particular model before? If yes, how's the review?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth_Vader (Post 3414248)
Hi. Almost a month since you mentioned you will be changing your silencer. Curious to know what the outcome was. Please do share your experience. If I am not asking for more, a Youtube video with the new silencer in action would be wonderful. Thanks!

Hi Vader, I did change my silencer and I am in love with my bike even more. Wildboar gives a deep bassy sound (like its echoing from the planet's core).

I have noted an improved initial pickup and pretty sure mileage hasnt changed.

I prefer to cruise at 60-70km. Not sure if the top speed has decreased.

Too early for a rust report.

I have recently bought a July 2010 Thunderbird Twinspark 350 and I wish to change the silencer. I have been researching for quite a few days now but have been unable to get a definitive answer.

Here are the questions:Sorry for noob questions, am first time owner of RE.

If your TB was made in 2010 it is a UCE.

One way to quickly identify the UCE powered motorcycles is to look at it from the rear. If the rear drive chain and sprocket is on the right hand side of the rear wheel, it is a UCE.
If the rear drive chain is on the left hand side, it is either a CI or a AVL Lean Burn engine.

Another way to determine this is to look for the transmission.
If it appears to be a separate device behind the engine it is a CI or AVL.
If the engine case is a smooth streamlined casting running from the front to the rear, it is a UCE.

Quote:

Originally Posted by moshel (Post 3460888)
I have recently bought a July 2010 Thunderbird Twinspark 350 and I wish to change the silencer. I have been researching for quite a few days now but have been unable to get a definitive answer.

I say to the mechanic? (i.e. what is the Hindi term for "Carb Rejetting")[*]Would appreciate if someone could also clarify if my TB is a UCE or CI?[/list]Sorry for noob questions, am first time owner of RE.

Adding to Arizona Jim's reply.
The TB never had a CI engine. It was launched in late 2001/early 2002 with an AVL engine and then was replaced by the UCE engine around 6 years later.
The twin spark is an UCE engine.
I do not think any work needs to be done on the carb when replacing the muffler. The bendpipe remains the same as well. Just make sure you get the right size muffler for the bend pipe since the diameter of the pipes matter.