Team-BHP - All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   All about Exhausts / Mufflers / Silencers for RE Bullets (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/69164-all-about-exhausts-mufflers-silencers-re-bullets.html)

Well, I thought of starting this thread where can share our knowledge about various exhaust pipes available in market, the kind of sound they produce, their availability, effects on performance, when to install etc.

Because I have very limited knowledge on subject and all those names keep popping up, 90's RE shortbottle, Short bottle, with filter, without filter, Goldstar, Torpedo, Rocket, Ludhiana, Indore etc.

My really experience with them was a shortbottle one bought for Rs.350, installed in my Machismo. It was loud, but after crossing 60-70 kmph it is irritating, it does not give the mature sound.

So what are they all about ? How to get a Dug..dug..dug rather than phat phat ? I quite like the note of the stock one, but its quite low.

All Short Bottle's and Goldstars and all create a racket after 60-70 and thump changes to dunno what.I have all sorts of mufflers and a few Bend pipes lying at my place.for crusing on highways i had a thunderbird exhaust on mine,and it used to sound good,especially with K&N's intake roar.

Well shantanu from ddun has a original RE retro short bottle exhaust.and it sounds sweet.not loud at all.perfect deep thump and it doesn't turn irritating even at higher speeds.i have asked him to help me source one too.

Also looking on at the youtube videos one can see that the upswept original exhausts on the classic also has a very sweet thump.

Upswept original exhausts, seems to be short bottle only. But it would be a while, before they are easily available.

And yes, even I have heard that original bend pipe and short bottle from RE does a good job.

To scare people silly and for that intoxicating whistle, goldstar hands down.

Cheers,

Jay

But doesn't it lead to a loss of low end torque?i mean the goldstar.

Is the new bike all too silent?

I'd recommend short-bottle or goldstar. If you want something more than this, remove all the 'filters' inside the exhaust.

If you're still not satisfied, you can try doing some fancy stuff like putting a rubber at the tip of the exhaust or fitting a big mudflap so that it obstructs and intensifies the sound of the exhaust.

I've heard the new upswept Classic exhaust, its good. I guess you can get one for 2k (overheard the sales guy tell a client).

ahh..that rubber is for that purpose. I had no clue.

Its not too silent, but compared to other on road, it is. Everyone is using Short bottle in Delhi and in some cases Punjab/Ludhiana exhaust (really loud). But I am not sure if they are doing any research before putting one what the mechanic recommends. I am yet to see a Goldie in operation in Delhi.

I've never heard the Delhi Goldstar. I've heard Pune Goldstars (heck we have three) and they sound great on CIs and AVLs. It seems he gives options of a fully free flow Goldstar too. His rates are very high, but its a proper replica unlike the Delhi Goldstar.

when I said goldstar in operation in Delhi, I did not mean made in Delhi. I mean I am yet to see a bike with an installed Goldie Exhaust.

And what would be approx rates of Pune dude ?

I bought a new Thunderbird twinspark in 7-oct09 and I have completed 1250 kms. Shall i fit Goldstar silencer at this point of time or should i wait till i complete some thousand more kms to fit the goldstar(not free flow)

well this seems to be a very interesting thread. Here's what I have tried on the my RE Electra 4S over the years. Let me divide this section to the best tries and the worst tries.

Start off with the good news first.

1. The best exhaust note that gives a mature thump for me till date has to be the "Short bottle" that used to come for Bullet 500 Standard with the Short bent pipe. Now the bent pipe I am talking about is the one that comes with all the new Bullets, the Electra 5s, Bullet 350 Standard.

2. I tried the Bullet Standard's long bent pipe with the "Short Bottle" for Bullet 350. It came out really well but I started hating it as it muffled the exhaust note too much at low speeds and it opened up the exhaust too much at high speeds, and the performance was sluggish. But to be honest, with all these it was still okay to live with it.

3. Threw away all the bottles and rode it for sometime :uncontrol That was heaven!!!

Now here comes the worst tries.

1. The rocket, now everyone who has a bullet knows what a rocket is and this turned out to be a disaster and I sold the silencer I bought for scrap, trust me the exhaust note was that bad. It was never a silencer but it was just a pipe lol:

2. The next one was outrageous. Fixed a short bottle that fits to the short bent pipe, this was good initially but then out of nowhere whenever you let the throttle go, it backfired scaring everyone on the road with a gunshot and sometimes me too.

So to conclude, my pick from the lot is to go for the 500's short bottle silencer on the short bent pipe. As it will give a much more mature not at all revs. The diameter of the outlet pipe is slightly more that that of the 350's short bottle.

I hope this was informative.

Thanks Ron for the detailed post. for your reference here are the pics of the Bend Pipe the comes with standard now. Is it the one you are recommending or something else ?

Hey shashank. that is exactly what I am talking about. The only difference I see on the pic you sent is the heat shield

I have the shorter version on my TB, I feel it is better than the stock longer one but at low rpms its not a lot of fun as the mechanical clatter drowns out whatever thump there is.

Frankly the bike itself is not that fun to ride at lower rpms, twist the throttle a bit and the sound and bike response are both much better.