Team-BHP - RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Motorbikes (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/)
-   -   RE Classic 350 - Initial ownership (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/motorbikes/71070-re-classic-350-initial-ownership-5.html)

Gotcha. Will save the 5th for some time.

Any idea on the clanking? Sounds like a road roller sometimes. :P

Okay not that much, but yeah a clear exhaust note continues to elude me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1630173)
Any idea on the clanking? Sounds like a road roller sometimes. :P

Okay not that much, but yeah a clear exhaust note continues to elude me.

Again, I would have to hear it. But the newer engines( other than the CI ones) do not sound very healthy/nice to the rider, because a lot of the engine sounds like valve gear, other clatter etc from the alloy block and head are heard a lot more than the exhaust note. The same engine would sound a lot different ( better different ) if someone was to ride past you, on your bike, or overtake you - have someone you trust do that for you.
But this is more of clatter than clanking. Just to be sure, let someone who has used the older AVL engined bikes check it out, or show it to the dealer. Or, see if you can hear the same sound in another new bike. I have no direct experience of the latest bikes, so this is a little vague, sorry about that!

No problemo! I won't let anyone ride it just yet. No one around is in circle of trust yet. Hehe.

Lets see how it goes. Should I upload a video? Hard for one to recognise anything from it though.

Also, what I did to run the bike in when it was new was to head out from home at 5 30 am for hour long rides to allow the engine to run through all the gears at all speeds, where the cold air flow at this time of the year does a great deal to keep things cool. Just be sure to be very careful of the other traffic at that time though, as always on a bike.

@Easyyousee
Yes it does luggs a bit at 50 but after 55 it's perfect. I agree to what you feel about gear change, 5th at 60+.

Don't try to lugg your bull. It will damage your engine in long run. Try to get your 1st service done by 500k. I had lot of metal junk in the smaller filter under the sump when I got my service done. After your first service, your gear change would be World apart;)

My CL 500 is getting smoother day by day and I have crossed 2200k so far. You wont beleive the difference it will make after the first service. It's more smooth and quite now.

The noise you mentioned is present in mine as well but decreasing day by day. Dont worry, its the combination of gears and chain which will get smoother after the roughness on the gears gets less with more mileage.

Quote:

Originally Posted by EssYouWe (Post 1630187)
I won't let anyone ride it just yet. No one around is in circle of trust yet.
Lets see how it goes. Should I upload a video? Hard for one to recognise anything from it though.

I know what you mean! I doubt if a video will help.
Maybe someone can let the bike idle/rev lightly for a very short time, while you stand away from the engine, and closer to the rear end. But the best thing in my view is to let the dealer take a look. You may as well start building relations with the service folks there!

@Sawyer

That is exactly what I just got from. Only I did it at 5:00 pm. :P

The dealer was an absolute n00b. All he knew was business. There was one mechanic at the center who knew his deal. They have a service center quite a bit away from their dealership. Haven't visited it yet. Will see if I can pay them a visit.

@Randhawa

I can't wait for the 500 kms to come up. It is taking way too long. :p

I try and ride it continuously, while minimizing idling time. Trying to get in a range of revs on every gear. The running in guide in the manual is slightly restrictive with regards to the speed. Some of the speeds they want gear shifts at would just leave the engine lugging.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Randhawa (Post 1630192)
;)

My CL 500 is getting smoother day by day and I have crossed 2200k so far. You wont beleive the difference it will make after the first service. It's more smooth and quite now.

Wait till she does 4000, that is when she will run like a dream with everything fully opened up and running free. Enjoy the running in, it is the foundation of a fuss free engine. Most of the bikes with engine issues are those that have not been run in right. REs still need that to be done correct. And correct does not mean babying the engine either.

Congrats. Loved it. clap:

Please post some more pix wherein we can see how it looks from a distance or wrt to other bikes.

What tyre did they come in? Classic gets EFI right? How much would the other silencer cost?

Only CL 500 gets EFI and 350 gets carb. On 350 you don't need to change the bend just the silencer. On 500 you need the change the bend from CL350 plus the silencer which is under 3K.

On a early morning ride today I thought I will again check the 50/5 on my 500- she is just about able to run at 50 in fifth, but 55 sounds a lot better, while 60 feels the lowest ideal. This for a fully run in 500 that has over 5000 kms clocked. And she pulls well under throttle in 5th only from 60 on, so even at 55 if I want more speed, I go down a gear. This is one shortcoming of the bike in traffic actually, the 350 CI is able to putter around in traffic in top gear a lot better. But the minute you are on the highway, the 500 shows the 350 a clean pair of heels, the 350 runs out of breath a lot earlier. I have owned both at the same time, so I know. Finally sold the 350 because I could not keep both on the road often enough to keep them in good health.
Also about running in - it is vitally important to change all oils, engine, clutch and gearbox, twice by the time you do 1200 kms or so. For the older design engines, one could let the gearbox oil be changed just once, but I changed out all three twice by the time the bike had done 1200kms. For the new engines, does the engine oil take care of the gearbox lubrication as well?

The 200 km mark is up. I am so pissed for not being able to clock the miles faster.

Encountered only 1 false neutral today.

Tried the 50 in 5th again today. Well, it isn't as bad at 50 but any dip below it makes a gear change unavoidable. That is not because it would sputter or something... its just that you don't have the heart to lug the engine. :D

Looking forward to riding a CI 350. Haven't ridden one for a really long time.

Hey come on only 200 KM! Is the weather to cold for you;)

I felt really weird riding Electra after riding classic. It felt so slow/clumsy and lite compared to Classic.

My folks aren't letting me ride long distance.

:'(

And I am also waiting for some safety gear and a new helmet before I venture out. Tera kitna hua?

At your age my folks didn't let me buy a bike. At least you got one;) Done 2300km so far.