Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2010, 00:10   #61
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayPrashanth View Post
City Slicker: CL350/500

Mile Muncher: All other UCE 350s.

And if you've got strong legs, you won't miss the trick start. Use the money for a nice riding jacket.

Cheers,

Jay
Jay, does that mean the CLs would not be ideal for long distance rides?

Especially the CL350 - considering the 19" rim in the front won't it be a good fit for long distance as well?

Also, would you care to throw some light on the trick start thing you mentioned.

Last edited by mantrig : 26th February 2010 at 00:12.
Old 26th February 2010, 11:56   #62
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Jay, does that mean the CLs would not be ideal for long distance rides?

Especially the CL350 - considering the 19" rim in the front won't it be a good fit for long distance as well?

Also, would you care to throw some light on the trick start thing you mentioned.
Trick start = electric start.

For tall riders, the CL350 isn't comfortable for long distances. This is the initial feedback so far. Frequent breaks might solve this issue to an extent. The seat is just too low. That's the only and the biggest minus of the CL. One remedy is slightly longer and stiffer seat springs or for shorter folks, a saddle seat.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 26th February 2010, 12:10   #63
BHPian

Quote:
For tall riders, the CL350 isn't comfortable for long distances. This is the initial feedback so far. Frequent breaks might solve this issue to an extent. The seat is just too low. That's the only and the biggest minus of the CL. One remedy is slightly longer and stiffer seat springs or for shorter folks, a saddle seat.

Cheers,

Jay
Jay, From your post, it seems the problem with CL350 for long rides is with its seat only. But that is something which can easily be solved- by fitting a double seat- or by stiffening the seat springs and adding extra cushion etc.

You may say double seat for CL350 is not available but since its a new model introduced just three months back, things are sure to improve and more accessories will be available in due course.

Hence my opinion is that its not proper to classify CL350 as 'Unsuitable' for long rides just on the basis of present seat comfort alone.
Old 26th February 2010, 21:38   #64
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnair View Post
Jay, From your post, it seems the problem with CL350 for long rides is with its seat only. But that is something which can easily be solved- by fitting a double seat- or by stiffening the seat springs and adding extra cushion etc.

You may say double seat for CL350 is not available but since its a new model introduced just three months back, things are sure to improve and more accessories will be available in due course.

Hence my opinion is that its not proper to classify CL350 as 'Unsuitable' for long rides just on the basis of present seat comfort alone.
RE never designed the CL350/500 for long distance riding. Like it or not, that's the reality sir. Case in point is the spring seats and the handlebar geometry. You need to accept it and try to better your CL350 by means of aftermarket mods. What I told was that out of a showroom, the CLs fall short of being great long distance bikes. If you do mod them, they'll make the cut. Seat comfort is an extremely component of ergonomics. Seating is a vital component of overall ergonomics and this includes hip to palm distance, posture and a many other little factors that go a long way to impact comfort. If you take the seat out of the picture, the overall equation gets totally skewed. The only RE designed to do real long distances is the TB/TBTS. The STD350/Machismo/Electra manage to get by as they are large motorcycles with relaxed ergos and 19 inchers that make them good mile munchers with great straight line stability. The CL350/500 in it's current guise is a smallish motorcycle for big boned riders. Shorter guys won't have any issue.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 26th February 2010, 23:18   #65
BHPian

Quote:
RE never designed the CL350/500 for long distance riding. Like it or not, that's the reality sir. Case in point is the spring seats and the handlebar geometry. You need to accept it and try to better your CL350 by means of aftermarket mods. What I told was that out of a showroom, the CLs fall short of being great long distance bikes. If you do mod them, they'll make the cut. Seat comfort is an extremely component of ergonomics. Seating is a vital component of overall ergonomics and this includes hip to palm distance, posture and a many other little factors that go a long way to impact comfort. If you take the seat out of the picture, the overall equation gets totally skewed. The only RE designed to do real long distances is the TB/TBTS. The STD350/Machismo/Electra manage to get by as they are large motorcycles with relaxed ergos and 19 inchers that make them good mile munchers with great straight line stability. The CL350/500 in it's current guise is a smallish motorcycle for big boned riders. Shorter guys won't have any issue.

Cheers,

Jay
Does 5.10" qualify for being short???

I do 200+ kms rides almost every alternate weekend to my farmhouse. Have never faced any issues on my STD 350, just curious if CL350 would be that much of an issue.
Old 27th February 2010, 00:20   #66
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mantrig View Post
Does 5.10" qualify for being short???

I do 200+ kms rides almost every alternate weekend to my farmhouse. Have never faced any issues on my STD 350, just curious if CL350 would be that much of an issue.
Won't be an issue, with a couple of butt breaks.

Cheers,

Jay
Old 20th May 2010, 09:56   #67
BHPian

Endofdayz: No update from your side. Have you taken delivery of TBTS or Electra.
If so Pls post some pics.

I'm really inclined towards TBTS. The styling & saddle seat are really making me droll.
Just called the showroom in Jayanagar & Indra nagar.
TBTS : 1014890/-
Electra : 1010000/-
Both have a waiting period of 3 months.

I've been informed that TBTS give a mileage of abt. 40km/L. Is it true?
How abt Electra. Guess both have the same eng with different styling.

I'm 5:11" weigth 84kgs. Mostly for the dialy office use & ocassional long runs. What your take on this.

Last edited by Praveen1 : 20th May 2010 at 09:57.
Old 20th May 2010, 12:46   #68
BHPian

Praveen
Both have the same engine.
Both should dish out the same mileage
Old 20th May 2010, 19:37   #69
Senior - BHPian

Go for the TBTS if you like the design.

Mileage is around 40 for both.
Old 24th May 2010, 13:44   #70
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
I'm really inclined towards TBTS. The styling & saddle seat are really making me droll.
Have booked the Electra at RE Dealer on Mission Road with booking amount of Rs. 1000/. Total on road price will be around what you have mentioned. Color Red. Waiting period close to 3 months
Old 25th May 2010, 13:56   #71
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praveen1 View Post
Endofdayz: No update from your side. Have you taken delivery of TBTS or Electra.
If so Pls post some pics.

I've been informed that TBTS give a mileage of abt. 40km/L. Is it true?
How abt Electra. Guess both have the same eng with different styling.

I'm 5:11" weigth 84kgs. Mostly for the dialy office use & ocassional long runs. What your take on this.
HI Praveen,
At my time of booking i had only three options.
CL350 or CL500 or TBTS. The first two due to huge waiting period was ruled out.

When there was around 15 days left for my TBTS delivery there came new electra. Consulted my family. they were bent on TBTS. and even my heart said TBTS and mind said electra. finally took delivery of TBTS after long wait. Bike runs like a charm without any issues on riding side. I'm 6^. no problem what soever. But make sure while planning for a bike do check around for good mechanics. the one in service center are just !@#@@. Anyway happy motoring.
Old 26th September 2010, 19:52   #72
BHPian

When CL 350, TBTS - UCE, Std 350 UCE & Electra 350 UCE are carrying same power plant & power train, where is the need of Std 350 UCE & Electra 350 UCE?

TBs are meant for cruiser style and Std/ Electra/ Cl (with double seat) is for macho style, what is the significance of Std 350 UCE, Electra 350 UCE or machismo 350 UCE (Probably in future)?
Old 26th September 2010, 22:41   #73
BHPian

According to RE website, Standard 350 UCE still comes with front drum brakes and kick starter. But its coming with 5-speed gear box as compared to 4-speed in 350 CI. Whereas, Electra UCE comes with front disk brakes and ES as usual.

But what I feel is there was no need to have 2 different versions in form of Standard and Electra. Except for drum brakes and kick starter, rest all is the same.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks